PDA

View Full Version : Congress to put Santa out of business

jmdrake
12-06-2009, 10:38 PM
No joke. Handmade toy makers may go under in the name of protecting children from lead paint. Never mind that all of the lead paint toys came from big conglomerates importing toys from China.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2009/dec/05/volunteers-take-some-pressure-north-pole/

Volunteers take toy pressure off North Pole

By Triveni Sheshadri

Saturday, December 5, 2009 at midnight
Woodworking student Dan Hecko tested a miniature car carrier made by a volunteer at Palomar College, where a toy charity began 11 years ago.

Charlie Neuman / Union-Tribune

Woodworking student Dan Hecko tested a miniature car carrier made by a volunteer at Palomar College, where a toy charity began 11 years ago.

Hay tractors (right) were ready to go. The toys are given to agencies that help needy children.

Ervin Walker and Barbara Clark assembled a wooden bed cradle at the Palomar College woodshop, where more than 50 volunteers gathered on a recent Saturday for the toy-making project.

SAN MARCOS — For Joe Amora, one of the greatest pleasures of the holiday season is watching the beaming faces of his grandchildren as they unwrap his handmade wooden toys. But the high school teacher’s generosity does not stop at home.

Amora and other volunteers meet four times before Thanksgiving to make more than 400 exquisite wooden toys at Palomar College. The toys are given to pediatric wards, preschools, churches, homeless shelters and other agencies that help children throughout the county.

On a recent Saturday morning, more than 50 men and women gathered at Palomar’s cavernous wood shops to finish ducks, high-speed tops, hay wagons, puzzles and grasshoppers. They put smiley faces on tugboats, tied pink and orange strings to helicopters and made sure each toy functioned.

“You don’t want to give a toy that doesn’t work,” said Terry Clark, a retired teacher.

In an age of mass-produced Tickle Me Elmos and Zhu Zhu Pets, the Palomar workshop recalls toy-making of another era. Crafted from mahogany, cherry and other hardwoods, each toy is sanded, shellacked and painted by hand. College students work alongside engineers and attorneys. Retired IRS agents team up with teachers and artists.

Karen Geuy is a watercolor painter and woodworker from Fallbrook. The toy-making is her way of contributing to the community and to the campus, where she has taken woodworking classes for 17 years.

“We have a great time,” Geuy said as she carefully applied shellac to a tugboat. “It’s a cooperative effort, a lot of people working together. It makes me very happy to be doing something for children in need.”

The Palomar College toy project began 11 years ago in partnership with the San Diego Fine Woodworkers Association. Volunteers sign up for a one-unit cabinet and furniture technology class. Enrollment that has hovered around 40 in the past jumped to 55 this year, said Gordon Collinson, a Palomar instructor who supervises the program.

“We had to make more toys to keep everyone busy,” Collinson said.

Members of the woodworkers association play a key role. They choose and fine-tune toy designs, procure wood donations from businesses, buy parts and assemble kits for each toy. They distribute the toys made at Palomar, along with thousands of others they make in their own wood shops, to social-service groups.

Charlie Bierman, a retired rocket designer, is one of the people who do the bulk of the preparation before volunteers begin their work. His engineering background is evident in the precision of his drawings, instruction sheets and parts lists that he keeps in a thick blue binder.

“There is no one single reason I do this,” he said. “First, toy-making is a team effort. There is a lot of camaraderie. Second, it’s an outlet to use my design skills. And it’s a good cause.”

The holiday tradition that the volunteers have come to cherish is facing an uncertain future because of a federal law that Congress passed in 2008. The Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act, designed to protect children from lead and other chemicals, mandates safety tests for products meant for children younger than 12. Small programs, such as the Palomar workshop, that use nontoxic materials in their toys are not exempt.

The testing requirement means an expense of thousands of dollars for the toy program, said Robert Threm, president of the woodworkers association.

“We are a nonprofit, and we are barely making it,” Threm said. “The law is very broad. It doesn’t make any exceptions. It’s a huge issue that could potentially endanger the program, and it’s not just us.”

For now, Threm is following the efforts of the Handmade Toy Alliance, a coalition of small toy makers and store owners, to persuade Congress to amend the law.

Matt Collins
12-06-2009, 10:50 PM
John -

See this:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showpost.php?p=2439501&postcount=2

It'll make you feel better and hopefully give you a good laugh.

-Matt

Dianne
12-06-2009, 11:45 PM
I thought congress was going to put them out of business by killing them all. I know many lawmakers saying Santa's should be first in line for the H1N1 shot hahahahahahaha....

I get a great laugh out of that.. no one wants the shot, but yet the Santa's union saying it unfair they don't get it first. Well I think my little minor emergency center down the road has about 2,000 shots no one else wants, so Santa's there will be no h1n1 shot in my stocking this year... you can have mine.

JenH88
12-07-2009, 09:49 AM
yup yup yup.. was talking bout this back in like march..

whatever, screw them.. ill add a tag to the toys we make that says "not intended for children." with a short explanation of why i have to put this on the tag..

will be like the children's sleepwear that's "not intended as sleepwear" because it doesnt have the poisonous flame retardant chemical on it..

jmdrake
12-07-2009, 11:15 AM
John -

See this:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showpost.php?p=2439501&postcount=2

It'll make you feel better and hopefully give you a good laugh.

-Matt

Yeah I saw that. I started to post this there but I decided I should spawn a separate thread for a few reasons.

1) This is a direct piece of legislation we can attack as opposed to the general stuff in the other thread.

2) This legislation hasn't been implemented yet, so there is time to try to head it off.

3) We should be able to get friends and family to sign onto this who might not go along with the "Let's get rid of borders, labor laws, endangered species act, FAA, antitrust laws" agenda hidden in the other post.

I guess the bottom line is this is something we can actually do something about without an inordinate amount of effort. Maybe I should have made that clearer in the title. We need a petition drive, viral video drive, spam your friends and family to save independent toy makers drive, something. It's really simple. Small toy makers operating inside the U.S. shouldn't be held to the same regulation as big toy makers in China. Lead paint isn't even available in the U.S. These toy makers couldn't readily make the equivalent of the China poison toys if they wanted to. That's the problem with free trade in general the way it's set up now. We punish American manufacturers with crippling regulation. We allow unregulated foreign competition to flood our markets with crap goods. And even when these foreign manufactures endanger Americans we don't have the guts to say "We're going to restrict trade with you until you get your act together". Instead we put higher burdens on American manufacturers who had nothing to do with the problem so that we can keep everything "even".

Alright. That's too long to put in a "sound bite". Takeaway message? Exempt small toy makers from this crap. If a chemical isn't even allowed for sale in the U.S. then no U.S. toymaker should have to test for it. And if you make under a certain volume you should be except from this legislation period.

Regards,

John M. Drake

Oyate
12-07-2009, 12:05 PM
Yeah it applies to home produced items, small businesses, even thrift stores for crying out loud. Watch multiple industries get erased.

What's just as cruel or more so is my buddy who had to let his whole apple crop rot on the trees because his small orchard can't afford to comply with all the fancy new government regulations. Not only that but grocers can't afford to buy the ones that do comply SO THEY ARE SELLING MEXICAN GROWN APPLES IN STORES BECAUSE THEY ARE CHEAPER---THEY DON'T HAVE TO COMPLY WITH THE FANCY NEW REGULATIONS.

Goodbye what's left of family farming.

Just when people need to fall back on self-reliant means they cut our legs out from under us and shackle our wrists.

123tim
12-07-2009, 01:24 PM
The question that I wonder about is this:

Where in the U.S. can someone still obtain lead based paint? Can you still buy it?

jmdrake
12-07-2009, 01:56 PM
The question that I wonder about is this:

Where in the U.S. can someone still obtain lead based paint? Can you still buy it?

That's just it. You can't buy lead based paint anywhere in the U.S.! I heard someone from the Handmade Toy Alliance talk about that last week.

http://www.hereandnow.org/2009/11/rundown-1130/

Worse Mattel got an exemption which allows them to test "in house".

http://articles.latimes.com/2009/aug/28/business/fi-mattel28

So Mattel buys crap toys from China. They get to "in house" test their crap toys and them pawn them off to the American public. Small toy makers get put out of business to block them from doing what they can't do anyway! It's a travesty!

acptulsa
12-07-2009, 02:12 PM
You can't buy lead paint in the U.S., but can get it in China, so obviously we should not make toys in the U.S. but import them all from China. Sounds like a government-grade solution to a problem already solved to me.

Then there's the resale ban. So, if you let your child handle a keepsake from your own youth (which obviously didn't kill you), does that make you a monster now?

All seemingly a part of a Stalinesque move to eliminate our own past.

Matt Collins
12-07-2009, 02:34 PM
NEWS FLASH:

A recent shipment of lead from China was found to contain toys!

;):p

acptulsa
12-07-2009, 02:36 PM
NEWS FLASH:

A recent shipment of lead from China was found to contain toys!

Matt, I know you inserted that to lighten up the thread, but dude that's heavy!

NYgs23
12-07-2009, 03:04 PM
Libertarians need to do a better job of making left-wingers realize that the "regulations" they love so much damage small businesses in favor of large ones. Indeed, I think that's often the real point behind them.

Matt Collins
12-23-2009, 05:49 PM
Matt, I know you inserted that to lighten up the thread, but dude that's heavy!
Pun intended? :p