PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul's $5 million doesn't even include the meet-up group fundraising

dude58677
10-03-2007, 04:04 PM
:D

Sematary
10-03-2007, 04:05 PM
Where'd you get that info?

saku39
10-03-2007, 04:08 PM
How can it not include the Meetup groupd fundraising?

Where did you get this information?

dude58677
10-03-2007, 04:08 PM
There are 900 Ron Paul meetup groups and they raise money as well for campaigning. The meetup groups spend the money on their own campaigning activities. They are not PAC groups they are their own campaign organizzations seperate from the National campaign.

Chibioz
10-03-2007, 04:10 PM
I think you are referring to meetup group spending for advertising, signs etc, people are confused because they thought you meant the meetup group fundraising that happened earlier on in Q3.

dude58677
10-03-2007, 04:13 PM
I think you are referring to meetup group spending for advertising, signs etc, people are confused because they thought you meant the meetup group fundraising that happened earlier on in Q3.

You got it!;)

Chibioz
10-03-2007, 04:20 PM
People are willing to work hard for Ron Paul for free, you don't see that in many other candidate supporters. Our grassroots rock. :)

dude58677
10-03-2007, 04:21 PM
People are willing to work hard for Ron Paul for free, you don't see that in many other candidate supporters. Our grassroots rock. :)

It's so excting to see a libertarian on the center stage like this.

Original_Intent
10-03-2007, 04:55 PM
dude,

half the time I find myself enthusiastically agreeing with you and half the time wondering "why did he post such a blatantly misleading post?"

Seriously your subject line is 100% incorrect as stated. Now if it had said something like "expenditures by meetups" or something that would make sense, but seriously to say it does not include the meetup fundraising???" It just looks like a "Hey! Look at MEEEEE!" post.

mconder
10-03-2007, 04:57 PM
I can speak as a Meetup organizer with 55+ people and say that I believe our group has put more of their own cash into the Meetup than what they've given to national. Our group has made huge financial sacrifices, so I would not doubt this to be the case with most Meetups.

ItsTime
10-03-2007, 05:32 PM
it is now time to donate everything we have to the campaign and stop donating the the smaller groups. The campaign can do much more with the money than we can!

theseus51
10-03-2007, 05:36 PM
it is now time to donate everything we have to the campaign and stop donating the the smaller groups. The campaign can do much more with the money than we can!

This is actually an interesting question. One would think with de-centralized spending, that the local groups would be able to more efficiently use the money. But then again donations to the official campaign is what gets reported, and they need money for their expenses too. Hmm, I wonder where money would actually be spent, on meetup or national.

ItsTime
10-03-2007, 05:39 PM
This is actually an interesting question. One would think with de-centralized spending, that the local groups would be able to more efficiently use the money. But then again donations to the official campaign is what gets reported, and they need money for their expenses too. Hmm, I wonder where money would actually be spent, on meetup or national.

This is my take. Dump all your money into the campaign, then if you max start donating to PAC or meetups. But not until you max out. If each meet up group takes in $50 in donations, there is not much you can do with that. But put that into a huge pot and you can do a lot with it.

Chrispy
10-03-2007, 05:43 PM
I wonder if a situation could be worked out where meetup groups could donate all their donations to the official campaign but then request a kickback for the money they would have spent themselves. The campaign can write this down as an expense and the numbers will also be added to the total raised tally.

Everyones happy.

Or would this violate campaign regulations?

Jared Callanan
10-03-2007, 06:48 PM
opnh.com which is doing television and newspaper advertisements is a perfect example of money we are raising that isn't included in that five million.

Jared Callanan
10-03-2007, 06:50 PM
Itstime,

I am not sure I agree with you. The advertisements in newspapers and on television that we have seen are just as good; see the Iowa Straw Poll advertisement that Lord Xar put together. The plane fly overs at stadiums are also a great thing. Gotta remember that some have reached their $2300 maximum and things like this are a great way to keep helping through our wallets.

ItsTime
10-03-2007, 06:55 PM
Itstime,

I am not sure I agree with you. The advertisements in newspapers and on television that we have seen are just as good; see the Iowa Straw Poll advertisement that Lord Xar put together. The plane fly overs at stadiums are also a great thing. Gotta remember that some have reached their $2300 maximum and things like this are a great way to keep helping through our wallets.

Do not get me wrong, I think what we did in the past was GREAT! I just think things are starting to change. We have done our part and will keep doing our part.

I just think there enough people who have maxed out that are willing to donate more to other groups that the people who have not maxed out should just donate to the campaign.

I think I also said that before too. That you should donate till you max, then look for a PAC or meetup to dump money into

AgentPaul001
10-03-2007, 08:22 PM
I think these Meetup Groups are very important to the campaigns overall strategy and help draw in more donors in the long run. For those that have maxed out, this is a great way to give even more to the campaigns.

jgmaynard
10-03-2007, 08:50 PM
I think it is up to each person - The meetup groups and such are a great way to use resources, financial or otherwise, that do not need to be reported as donations to the campaign AND meetup groups can do great things with small amounts of money. But, it's important to donate to "national" too in order to keep donation amounts in the eyes of the media/public (we have to raise $4M a month now!). So, in short......

Every lives on ramen noodles and tap water until we get this guy in the White House. :O)

JM