PDA

View Full Version : I get an A with a little help from my friends.

davesxj
12-04-2009, 01:29 PM
I'm working on a poetry anthology for my college English class. We were given the liberty to choose any theme from which to pull poems from. Naturally I chose anarchy as it is very interesting to me and I'd love to share its ideas with everyone I can especially those seeking an "education" at a state college. Considering some of you all are very familiar with anarchists and their principles, I figured that passion might also include anarchist poetry.

So my question is does any one have a favorite poet or poem that would fall under the theme of anarchy? It can even be a work by someone here at RPF. The only rule is it has to be a published work.

So far my list of possible poets includes Herbert Read, David Edelshtat, John Henry Mackay, Nestor Makhno, and Voltairine de Cleyne. Granted that is from a quick search of wiki and I've yet to begin searching for exact poems. I'm certain some of you can lead me to the hidden gems.

I also have to present the anthology in some creative fashion. Whether it be HTML, power point, scrapbook, or whatever. Any ideas on a creative presentation for the anthology that embodies the spirit of anarchy?

I'm a fan of Left Bank Books out of Seattle. So a book was my initial idea seeing as how tons of books have been written on philosophy. But a book is not as creative as I'd like. So any input here is also very much welcomed.

Perhaps a poster... I'd really like something that can be educational on it's own. Handouts would be great but it will wind up being about 3,000 words not including the poems.

Grimnir Wotansvolk
12-05-2009, 07:26 PM
Stand ye calm and resolute,
Like a forest close and mute,
With folded arms and looks which are
Weapons of unvanquished war.

And if then the tyrants dare,
Let them ride among you there,
Slash, and stab, and maim and hew,
What they like, that let them do.

With folded arms and steady eyes,
And little fear, and less surprise
Look upon them as they slay
Till their rage has died away

Then they will return with shame
To the place from which they came,
And the blood thus shed will speak
In hot blushes on their cheek.

Rise like Lions after slumber
In unvanquishable number,
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many — they are few

Percy Bysshe Shelley - The Masque of Anarchy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Masque_of_Anarchy)

davesxj
12-06-2009, 02:33 PM
Great poem. I will be using this one. Thanks!