PDA

View Full Version : "$10M Worth of Publicity" Turns Into 50 Cents Worth

jumpyg1258
10-03-2007, 02:03 PM
Knew this would happen. Earlier in the week, the campaign claimed that when they would annouce figures for Q3, that it would earn them "$10M worth of publicity". Its only been a couple of hours since they have annouced their earnings and already that news has been taken off the main page of CNN's political section by no surprise of mine. I figured they would just bury and ignore as they always do, wouldn't have mattered if it was $50M.

richard1984
10-03-2007, 02:04 PM
Knew this would happen. Earlier in the week, the campaign claimed that when they would annouce figures for Q3, that it would earn them "$10M worth of publicity". Its only been a couple of hours since they have annouced their earnings and already that news has been taken off the main page of CNN's political section by no surprise of mine. I figured they would just bury and ignore as they always do, wouldn't have mattered if it was $50M.

Patience.

Don't be so "jumpy." ;)

MsDoodahs
10-03-2007, 02:05 PM
Wow, I see it as such a major coup, and you see it as a disappointment.

Funny how each of us can see the same thing so vastly differently, isn't it?

:)

devil21
There are two articles on Yahoo's Election front page. It'll keep getting pub, dont worry.

Jordan
Its going to be a discussion point for awhile. RP raised more than Romney without Romneys own $6M loan.

kylejack
This is a huge response. They're calling it jaw-dropping and shocking. They are fawning all over us with praise. Stories continue to appear. Relax, we got an awesome response, and we'll get many mentions again when the official numbers are in.

Sematary
10-03-2007, 02:06 PM
Abc still has it though:

ABC News' Z. Byron Wolf Reports: It dominated headlines yesterday when Sen. Hillary Clinton, D-NY, announced her campaign juggernaut had outpaced all rivals in the campaign fundraising horse race with a $27 million haul in the third quarter.

Today's fundraising announcement by Rep. Ron Paul, the Republican Libertarian ob-gyn from Texas, doesn't involve quite as much money, but is downright jaw-dropping.

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalradar/2007/10/paul-raises-jaw.html

katao
The real publicity comes later, as journalists come up with real stores about the top candidates (based on $$).

Paulitician
It's only been a few hours since the numbers came out. Calm down.

Sematary
10-03-2007, 02:07 PM
Abc still has it though:

ABC News' Z. Byron Wolf Reports: It dominated headlines yesterday when Sen. Hillary Clinton, D-NY, announced her campaign juggernaut had outpaced all rivals in the campaign fundraising horse race with a $27 million haul in the third quarter.

Today's fundraising announcement by Rep. Ron Paul, the Republican Libertarian ob-gyn from Texas, doesn't involve quite as much money, but is downright jaw-dropping.

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalradar/2007/10/paul-raises-jaw.html

Comparatively, Paul's Q3 figure is five times what was raised in the same period by GOP rival former Arkansas Governor Mike Huckabee, who is often given a better chance at the party nomination by political pundits. It puts Paul in the same fundraising neighborhood as top-tier Republican candidates like Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz.

austin356
10-03-2007, 02:07 PM
about to be on cnn

richard1984
10-03-2007, 02:09 PM
Its going to be a discussion point for awhile. RP raised more than Romney without Romneys own $6M loan.

This is off topic, but how is he able to do that? How come he (Romney) isn't subject to the $2300 donation limit just like everyone else?
It doesn't seem very fair at all.
I guess the rules are what they are in attempt to limit candidates who aren't already greedy money whores.

kylejack
10-03-2007, 02:10 PM
This is off topic, but how is he able to do that? How come he (Romney) isn't subject to the $2300 donation limit just like everyone else?
It doesn't seem very fair at all.
I guess the rules are what they are in attempt to limit candidates who aren't already greedy money whores.

Any candidate can finance their own campaign, so long as they're not receiving public financing. There's no cap on that. Ron Paul could sell all his gold and use it to finance his campaign if he wanted to, but he doesn't need to.

austin356
10-03-2007, 02:11 PM
CNN keeps saying "Ron Paul blah blah blah BIG BIG SURPRISE"

segment after commercials

jumpyg1258
10-03-2007, 02:12 PM
Comparatively, Paul's Q3 figure is five times what was raised in the same period by GOP rival former Arkansas Governor Mike Huckabee

I was actually surprised about that. Personally I thought in this race right behind Paul was Huck at #2. I have yet to meet a single person that supports one of the republican "mainstream" candidates. I have met a few Obama peeps though.

EDIT: Forgot to mention 1 Edwards candidate as well. A cousin I am trying to convert but doesnt seem too interested because Paul has a (R) instead of a (D). *sigh for stupid people*

speciallyblend
10-03-2007, 02:13 PM
they want viewers and they know we are all watching

Ron Paul Fan
10-03-2007, 02:14 PM
It's been getting some play on the air. MSNBC has mentioned it a couple times as has CNN. I'm sure Tucker will have something about it later on today and hopefully Hardball will too. It was just announced earlier today so just be patient! Patience is a virtue and you can't legislate virtue!

Sematary
10-03-2007, 02:28 PM
It's been getting some play on the air. MSNBC has mentioned it a couple times as has CNN. I'm sure Tucker will have something about it later on today and hopefully Hardball will too. It was just announced earlier today so just be patient! Patience is a virtue and you can't legislate virtue!

If the campaign reaches the 12 mil mark this quarter, the campaign should be ready to announce the very 1st of January so as to grab the attention of the msm IMMEDIATELY before the first primaries take place. Money talks, and bullshit walks and even lay people pay attention to numbers like that.

Sematary
10-03-2007, 02:28 PM
http://thehill.com/campaign-2008/paul-raises-5-million-in-third-quarter-2007-10-03.html

DrNoZone
10-03-2007, 02:31 PM
And ABC News Tonight is FLYING A CREW TO NEW HAMPSHIRE to interview Paul for tonight's show. That looks to me as if they are treating this as BIG news.

Taco John
10-03-2007, 02:34 PM
Don't worry people... This news is a bomb shell -- and indeed, the media is shell shocked right now. They expected Dr. Paul to go the way of Mike Gravel, and he's now out-raising Romney. The story will get even bigger once Giuliani reports. You can be sure that they're scrambling to cook some books right now. If they come in below Ron Paul, it will be a disaster for them.

The next step is that EVERYBODY and their momma is going to want to bring Paul in for a chat. He's going to have no shortage of invitations. Get your popcorn ready, because we're about to get a good dose of our guy.

Chernitsky
10-03-2007, 02:34 PM
you're a buzzkill

richard1984
10-03-2007, 02:36 PM
Any candidate can finance their own campaign, so long as they're not receiving public financing. There's no cap on that. Ron Paul could sell all his gold and use it to finance his campaign if he wanted to, but he doesn't need to.

I know this isn't the thread to do this, but I really don't see how that's fair/legal (considering donors are now limited to $2300). All it does is give rich people a far better chance at "running" our country. This whole system is messed up...bad....

maiki
10-03-2007, 02:46 PM
The 5mil figure is just going to generate more publicity as everyone else's numbers come in officially, as lesser candidates drop out, etc. I'm glad to know, though, I didn't want to be waiting until oct 15... :)

Bradley in DC
10-03-2007, 02:50 PM
they want viewers and they know we are all watching

We're spamming the viewership?

peacemonger
10-03-2007, 02:51 PM
A Ron Paul article is currently linked on DrudgeReport.com. On the right side 2/3rds of the way down the page. Drudge gets like 30 million visitors a day to his website. This is where the MSM gets most of their news stories from. More MSM news coverage will follow soon.

Original_Intent
10-03-2007, 02:53 PM
To the OP: All I can say is WOW. I can't see how anyone can reach the conclusions that you have that we are getting a negative response. Yes, MSNBC ran the "isolationist" piece that is such obvious propaganda it actually helps us.

This shockwave has just begun to have it's effect. ABC Nightly News is FLYING A CREW to New Hampshire to interview Ron Paul! We are going to get the $10 million in coverage before the other candidates even announce their official numbers, and when that happens there are going to be aftershocks of more coverage as they compare those numbers to Ron Paul.

OP seriously see a physician about getting some anti-depressant meds.

DrNoZone
10-03-2007, 03:09 PM
Hey Ron Paul: We're SPAMMING YOUR BANK ACCOUNT! :eek:

Original_Intent
10-03-2007, 03:13 PM
I wonder what happens when they figure out that we outraised Romney?

At least the way i read it was $10 million raised with $6 million from himself - does this mean that Romney raised only $4 million from outside sources???

ItsTime
10-03-2007, 03:13 PM
he is getting a lot of AIR time.... there is life off the internet

constituent
10-03-2007, 03:20 PM
We're spamming the viewership?

hadn't you heard? if we do it, it is spam.

we need to own that one.

spam- any action taken by a supporter of President Ron Paul

Ron Paul Fan
10-03-2007, 03:21 PM
I wonder what happens when they figure out that we outraised Romney?

At least the way i read it was $10 million raised with $6 million from himself - does this mean that Romney raised only $4 million from outside sources???

I think he raised $10 million plus a $6 million loan to himself so we didn't outraise him.

Blowback
10-03-2007, 03:27 PM
I think he raised $10 million plus a $6 million loan to himself so we didn't outraise him.

I disagree with you.

fletcher
10-03-2007, 03:28 PM

Tucker has been off this week. The idiot Shuster has been covering. Hopefully Tucker is back today with Buchanan as a guest.

Ron Paul Fan
10-03-2007, 03:33 PM
I disagree with you.

Everywhere I've read has reported that Romney raised $10 million along with a $6 million loan. I haven't seen anywhere where it says that the $6 million was included in that $10 million. Do you have a link that says this or are you just going to say you disagree without any proof to back it up?

uncloned21
10-03-2007, 03:40 PM
Everywhere I've read has reported that Romney raised $10 million along with a $6 million loan. I haven't seen anywhere where it says that the $6 million was included in that $10 million. Do you have a link that says this or are you just going to say you disagree without any proof to back it up?

you're right. it's 10 + 6

"Mitt Romney, who is expected to report about $10 million raised and another big loan from his personal fortune that will boost his third-quarter bottom line."

from http://www.usatoday.com/news/politics/election2008/2007-10-03-campaign-funds_N.htm

entropy
10-03-2007, 03:43 PM
Don't worry people... This news is a bomb shell -- and indeed, the media is shell shocked right now. They expected Dr. Paul to go the way of Mike Gravel, and he's now out-raising Romney. The story will get even bigger once Giuliani reports. You can be sure that they're scrambling to cook some books right now. If they come in below Ron Paul, it will be a disaster for them.

The next step is that EVERYBODY and their momma is going to want to bring Paul in for a chat. He's going to have no shortage of invitations. Get your popcorn ready, because we're about to get a good dose of our guy.

I sure as hell hope you are spot on.

mconder
10-03-2007, 03:44 PM
"$10M Worth of Publicity" Turns Into 50 Cents Worth

So many damn pessimists posting lately.

Original_Intent
10-03-2007, 03:44 PM
I stand corrected.

I still think it is funny that they refer to Ron Paul as the "Ross Perot of 2007" when it is Romney who is self-financing his campaign.

Syren123
10-03-2007, 03:45 PM
@^&$%#(*&

Original_Intent
10-03-2007, 03:47 PM
Oh. My. Gawd. How ARE they going to spin that?! heehee...this is getting fun!!

I was wrong. He raised 10 million AND loanded 6 million to himself, or so I am told.

He still didn't double us on real donations, and he has money connections, lobbyists, etc.

I would compare Ron Paul's number of individual contributors and compare them to any candidate from either party.

erowe1
10-03-2007, 03:48 PM

If you can buy headlines on CNN, NBC, Drudge, NPR, the NY Sun, the Boston Globe, the Houston Chronicle, the NYTimes, Townhall.com, The Hill, USA Today, the Washington Times, Real Clear Politics, plus all the prime time news that we'll get on the networks tonight, all for 50 cents, then I think you should be in charge of marketing for the campaign.

As for those of us who live in the real world, this coverage is a great boon to the campaign.

speciallyblend
10-03-2007, 03:54 PM
It's a great job,and we should call out cnn and anyone who continues to mock Ron Paul or the message.WE MUST NOT REST,we should start a thread to respond to nonsense by the MSM and continue to pound the truth into them until they report the truth. RON PAUL 2008

Anyone heard a peep on faux news yey? sob's

Bob Cochran
10-03-2007, 03:54 PM
A lot of you are nervous nellies. I can only imagine the depression you're setting yourselves up for if Ron Paul doesn't get elected.

Soothe yourselves for now with the thought that over $5M cannot be explained away as a few Internet spammers flooding the post-debate polls. I think many of the "journalists" bought into this ridiculous spamming explanation for Ron Paul's support, and now they're genuinely perplexed.

Too bad the poor saps haven't learned to think for themselves. I guess they're just typical Americans, who happen to be on TV.

NewEnd
10-03-2007, 04:08 PM
And ABC News Tonight is FLYING A CREW TO NEW HAMPSHIRE to interview Paul for tonight's show. That looks to me as if they are treating this as BIG news.

Look

Eventually, the "MSM" will have to pay attention... because they want Paul to spend money on commercials, on their television shows!

With this much money, the MSM wills tart to coddle Paul, and give him feel good stories, abotu chocolate chip cookies and running daily. They want... his... money.

American
10-03-2007, 04:10 PM

Yeah who cares what the MSN thinks, its the people that vote. That campaigning has reached million of people with all the different venues no matter what they say or do.

Chrispy
10-03-2007, 04:19 PM
If you really think about it, this could be our shoe in for the MSM. Eventually the story of the underdog rising from grass root support, plus Ron Paul being the only anti-war republican will be profitable for the MSM. Political bias in the media does not out weigh money generating stories. Making money is the ultimate goal of the media not political agendas, except for maybe Faux News.

V-rod
10-03-2007, 04:21 PM
\
Soothe yourselves for now with the thought that over $5M cannot be explained away as a few Internet spammers flooding the post-debate polls. I think many of the "journalists" bought into this ridiculous spamming explanation for Ron Paul's support, and now they're genuinely perplexed.

I'm sure the same journalists that have claimed there are spammers will claim that the donations came from the name recognition thanks spamming of the tv debate polls and many online polls. There is no victory against these liars. Until we call them out on it.

Nefertiti
10-03-2007, 04:22 PM
LOOK NOW!:

http://news.google.com

maiki
10-03-2007, 04:47 PM
LOOK NOW!:

http://news.google.com

not for me. I get edwards obama, hillary. No republicans on my front page.

Ozwest
10-03-2007, 05:19 PM
Go have a look around, the coverage is comming in. He is no longer a "long shot", he is now the "Giant Killer". Relax and enjoy the moment, in another 24 hours you'll be whistling another tune.