PDA

View Full Version : Did Glenn Beck support the bailout or not?

Knightskye
12-03-2009, 03:51 PM
http://www.glennbeck.com/content/articles/article/196/15602/

GLENN: Okay. Senator, I have been against every single one of these bailouts. This one I have said that I am for because I believe it is slow down catastrophe. However, there are caveats to that. Congress is taking this thing and I mean, introducing judges to be able to negotiate your renegotiate your interest level and your mortgage payments and everything else. And then the other disturbing thing that I'm starting to hear, I heard a lot of talk about it yesterday in the United Nations and everything else. United Nations is now saying to stem this, we must have one global financial system. You have China saying we need one global currency. You're starting to hear these things, making me believe that there's a lot of people in this that would certainly love to design a global financial system. Is that just talk of a raving madman?

Last night on his TV show, he claimed he supported it in September, 2008, but then two days later changed his mind and was against it.

In the transcript (link above), he talks about the "caveats" that made him not support it, meaning he would have supported the $700 billion to buy "toxic assets".

Beck has had Tom Woods on the show. I think he should read his book.

MRoCkEd
12-03-2009, 03:55 PM
Beck has had Tom Woods on the show. I think he should read his book.
He did read the book, and according to Tom, he speaks highly of it in private.
During the time of the bailout, Glenn seemed genuinely unsure. He had Peter Schiff on a lot, who told him why it was a horrible idea. I think there is truth to Glenn's assertion that he "becomes more libertarian every day."

klamath
12-03-2009, 03:56 PM
I don't watch any tv news shows, but from what I have heard of Beck he bounces around alot.

MelissaCato
12-04-2009, 05:22 AM
He said on the air, he did for 2 days till he noticed something. :cool:

AutonomousLiberty
12-04-2009, 10:58 AM
This video addresses Beck's support of the bailout.

YouTube - Glenn Beck is a Neocon (Not a Libertarian) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6C6E6ayh4U)

MRoCkEd
12-04-2009, 11:40 AM
This video addresses Beck's support of the bailout.

YouTube - Glenn Beck is a Neocon (Not a Libertarian) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6C6E6ayh4U)
That video is stupid and takes things out of context.

Knightskye
12-04-2009, 11:06 PM

Yes.

purplechoe
12-04-2009, 11:32 PM

and this one?

YouTube - Glenn Beck Was For The Bailout Before He Was Against It (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9vNcXe8pf8)

MRoCkEd
12-05-2009, 10:41 AM
and this one?

I remember watching that segment and being surprised. Glenn Beck was against the bailout every time before and after that clip. But that day he either became suddenly worried that he might be wrong, or was playing the devil's advocate. In the rest of that clip, Glenn has Peter Schiff on who tells him why it is a terrible idea.

Dianne
12-05-2009, 11:00 AM
Thanks for posting the video. I have been guilty of watching Glenn Beck recently. This reminded me he is just as fake as Lou Dobbs. Go for ratings and say whatever you believe will draw an audience.

For the Ron Paul remarks, I will not watch Beck again.

SelfTaught
12-05-2009, 11:35 AM
I remember watching that segment and being surprised. Glenn Beck was against the bailout every time before and after that clip. But that day he either became suddenly worried that he might be wrong, or was playing the devil's advocate. In the rest of that clip, Glenn has Peter Schiff on who tells him why it is a terrible idea.

I remember watching that show the day it aired. He covered the first bailout (TARP) for a few weeks and was against it except for this one show. It was an extremely volatile and anxious time after financial system collapsed.

What the clip doesn't show is that IMMEDIATELY after Glenn said what he said, Peter Schiff came on and talked some sense into him. This clip is part of the Peter Schiff analogies video.

Knightskye
12-05-2009, 08:46 PM
This clip is part of the Peter Schiff analogies video.

Post a link to the clip, please.

MR2Fast2Catch
12-05-2009, 08:59 PM

Yeah, that sounds right. I still remember it very clearly, and it surprised me at the time. For the record, Sean Hannity also got on board with the bailout, except it wasn't until after McCain started supporting it. What a coincidence, Sean? haha.

Glenn Beck is still a notch better than Hannity, despite Beck's flip-flopping.