PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Isolationism soars among Americans

klamath
12-03-2009, 09:21 AM
I don't know how Bobby missed this one:D
WASHINGTON – Americans are turning away from the world, showing a tendency toward isolationism in foreign affairs that has risen to the highest level in four decades, a poll out Thursday found.

Almost half, 49 percent, told the polling organization that the United States should "mind its own business" internationally and let other countries get along the best they can on their own, the Pew Research Center survey found. That's up from 30 percent who said that in December 2002.

Results of the survey appear to conflict with President Barack Obama's activist foreign policy, including a newly announced buildup of 30,000 U.S. troops in Afghanistan to fight Taliban and al-Qaida extremists.

"Isolationist Sentiment Surges to Four-Decade High," the nonpartisan research center headlined its report on the poll about America's role in the world.

Only 32 percent of the poll respondents favored increasing U.S. troops in Afghanistan, while 40 percent favored decreasing them. And fewer than half, or 46 percent, of those polled said it was somewhat or very likely that Afghanistan would be able to withstand the radicals' threat.

Forty-one percent of those surveyed said the United States plays a less important and powerful role as a world leader than it did a decade ago, up from 25 percent who said that just before the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, the report said.

Pew Research Center President Andrew Kohut said in an interview that the "very bad economy" appeared most responsible for the growth of isolationist sentiment. He said the public was also "displeased with the two wars we are waging, in Iraq and Afghanistan."

While isolationism and unilateralism reached four-decade highs among the public, the stature of China increased.

Among Americans polled, 44 percent said China was the world's leading economic power compared with 27 percent who named the United States. In February 2008, 41 percent said the U.S. was the leading economic power, while 30 percent said China.

A majority of Americans surveyed, or 53 percent, see China's emerging power as a threat to the United States.

The United States is seen by a comfortable majority, 63 percent, as the world's leading military power.

Concerning the Middle East, about half, or 51 percent, of respondents said they were more sympathetic toward Israel than to the Palestinians, who drew 12 percent. Fourteen percent supported neither side, while 19 percent offered no opinion.

The findings come from two surveys. The first poll, of 2,000 adults, was conducted by telephone Oct. 28 to Nov. 8 and had a margin of sampling error of plus or minus 3 percentage points. A subsequent poll of 1,003 people conducted from Nov. 12-15 had a margin of error of plus or minus 4 percentage points.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091203/ap_on_re_us/us_american_isolation

bobbyw24
12-03-2009, 09:22 AM
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=221374

And there are a few mornings each week that I am in court

klamath
12-03-2009, 09:32 AM
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=221374

OK, my faith is restored:D:D

constituent
12-03-2009, 09:34 AM
That'll work out well for Ron Paul. I can't think of a single individual the media has attempted to portray as "isolationist" to the degree they've done him.

Repeat after me: Ron Paul IS an isolationist. Ron Paul IS an isolationist. Ron Paul...

constituent
12-03-2009, 09:36 AM

Court?

http://www.flint.cc/sys/sty/img/hi/NR-Jester-Saturday-Evening-Post-Cover.jpg

Poooooor bobby. :p;):D

CUnknown
12-03-2009, 09:39 AM
I'd like to think that our movement has played some role in this. Certainly Ron Paul can claim a good 5% of that increase just himself, I bet. Sometimes it doesn't seem like it, but we really are winning this fight. :D

Meatwasp
12-03-2009, 09:40 AM
That'll work out well for Ron Paul. I can't think of a single individual the media has attempted to portray as "isolationist" to the degree they've done him.

Repeat after me: Ron Paul IS an isolationist. Ron Paul IS an isolationist. Ron Paul...

I was thinking the same thing.

bobbyw24
12-03-2009, 09:42 AM
Court? Poooooor bobby. :p;):D

Where'd you find my pic?

bobbyw24
12-04-2009, 05:46 AM
As U.S. President Barack Obama rallies public support for his decision to send reinforcements to Afghanistan, isolationist currents are being felt in opinion polls on a scale not seen in a number of years.

According to a poll commissioned by the Pew Research Center, 49 percent of Americans think the U.S. "should mind its own business" in its dealings with world affairs and "to let others get along on their own." The figure represents an increase from 30 percent in December 2002.

Just 32 percent of respondents expressed support for the president's decision to deploy more forces to Afghanistan, while 40 percent agreed that the president should begin to wind down the U.S. military presence in the country. Advertisement

In addition, 46 percent said the Afghan government needs to prove itself capable of neutralizing the threat posed by radical Islamists.

Forty-one percent of those polled said they felt the U.S. was fulfilling a less central role as the world superpower in comparison to ten years ago.

The survey's authors said the economic crisis was the likely factor contributing to the increasing isolationist sentiment in U.S. public opinion.

Americans are also displeased with a situation whereby U.S. troops are waging two simultaneous wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/1132664.html

bobbyw24
12-06-2009, 10:05 AM
Posted on December 3rd, 2009 by Daniel Larison

The new Pew survey (via RCP) that purports to show a record-high level of “isolationist sentiment” is fairly misleading. No doubt, there was a higher percentage that answered that the U.S. should “mind its own business and let other countries get along the best they can on their own,” but the alternative was to answer that the U.S. “is the most powerful nation in the world, we should go our own way in international matters, not worrying about whether other countries agree with us or not.” Given that choice between something that sounds reasonable and something that sounds idiotic, a great many non-”isolationists” would prefer the former response. Essentially, the survey offered two choices. On the one hand, the respondent can choose arrogant hegemonism and disregard the interests of all other nations, or he can choose something less obviously obnoxious. One depressing thing about the survey results is that hegemonism still gets 44%. The other depressing thing is that the 49% don’t really mean what they claim to believe.

This survey is a bit like generic poll questions on the size and role of government. You can routinely get pluralities or even majorities to say that they want smaller government, they want the government to do less, they think the government spends too much, and so on, but you can’t actually get very many people to vote for a politician who proposes to eliminate programs or reduce spending when it might affect a large number of voters. The terrifying thing is that even after the last eight years there is not even a majority that theoretically supports “minding our own business,” whatever people might think this means, and if we were to probe deeper I think we would find that most of these so-called “isolationists” wouldn’t actively support the policy changes that would have to be made to “mind our own business.”

http://www.amconmag.com/larison/2009/12/03/the-bogey-of-isolationism/

sofia
12-06-2009, 10:23 AM
isolationism is a perjorative term.

America was never isolationist.

bobbyw24
12-06-2009, 10:25 AM
isolationism is a perjorative term.

America was never isolationist.

True- "non-interventionist" is much better