PDA

View Full Version : A little bit of justice, for once

Cowlesy
12-03-2009, 09:16 AM
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/queens/granny_attacker_to_rot_in_prison_fElpOYEW8Ulr2euDt 8ZjcK

This thug beat 3 women for $78 and 2 rings, one of them 101 years old.

The heartless thug who brutally robbed three Queens women -- one of them 101 years old -- will die in prison after a furious judge yesterday sentenced him to 75 years.

"That comes out to about a year for every dollar you took from those people," Queens Supreme Court Justice Gregory Lasak told Jack Rhodes, 47, who netted just $78 and two rings from the unspeakable crimes.

"Your actions . . . were reprehensible," Lasak said. "It shocks the senses. I've never seen anything like it."

Rhodes fractured four bones in centenarian Rose Morat's face when he robbed her in the lobby of her Jamaica Estates apartment building in March 2007, punching her and dropping her to the floor from her walker.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/queens/granny_attacker_to_rot_in_prison_fElpOYEW8Ulr2euDt 8ZjcK#ixzz0YdgkysKx

klamath
12-03-2009, 10:03 AM
What a creep, Stories like this bring the inner anarchist out in me and I want to take the law in my own hands.

constituent
12-03-2009, 10:06 AM
There is a serial rapist on the loose in Texas targeting old women. They falsely imprisoned a friend of mine from jr. high/high school after he was pegged in a "scent-lineup."

http://www.victoriaadvocate.com/news/2009/may/05/lw_calvin_miller_050609_49223/

constituent
12-03-2009, 10:12 AM
What a creep, Stories like this bring the inner anarchist out in me and I want to take the law in my own hands.

So much for justice, eh? Three hots and a cot...

MRoCkEd
12-03-2009, 10:13 AM
Seems a bit harsh

GunnyFreedom
12-03-2009, 11:13 AM
Seems a bit harsh

For breaking a 101 year old lady's face by punching her out of her walker????

klamath
12-03-2009, 11:16 AM

Right there with you Gunny.

paulpwns
12-03-2009, 11:18 AM
Does it matter that she is old?

Should old people have " special rights" ?

Assault and battery does not deserve life in prison.

MsDoodahs
12-03-2009, 11:20 AM
Not fond of the creep getting three hots and a cot at taxpayer expense, myself.

I'd rather see him hanging in the public square.

Put a cement block just out of reach of his toes. When he's struggling, he'll scrape 'em right down to the bone.

Let the body hang there for at least two days.

Not a deterent, you say?

Bull FUCKING shit.

constituent
12-03-2009, 11:21 AM

What, you expected justice?

phill4paul
12-03-2009, 11:21 AM

Sentencing guidelines would suggest otherwise.

MRoCkEd
12-03-2009, 11:31 AM
75 years in prison???

paulpwns
12-03-2009, 11:33 AM
Sentencing guidelines would suggest otherwise.

Yeah, cause the criminal justice system is perfect. No flaws at all.
:)

Anti Federalist
12-03-2009, 11:34 AM
30 years ago, my great grandmother was killed in a similar fashion at age 97, for the same reason, in the same general area.

And so it goes...

ClayTrainor
12-03-2009, 11:35 AM
30 years ago, my great grandmother was killed in a similar fashion at age 97, for the same reason, in the same general area.

And so it goes...

Dam... sorry to hear that :(

Cowlesy
12-03-2009, 11:38 AM
Before he beat and kicked these 3 old ladies, he had been robbing churches --- trully a pillar and asset to society.

Knowing our system he'll be out in 5 on parole.

phill4paul
12-03-2009, 11:40 AM
Yeah, cause the criminal justice system is perfect. No flaws at all.
:)

Come up with a better one instead of just bitching about the injustice of a multi-time offender sentenced to life in prison and no longer having the ability o prey on the weak in society.

constituent
12-03-2009, 11:40 AM
75 years in prison???

It's your government man. Love it or leave it, as they say.

phill4paul
12-03-2009, 11:41 AM

And so it goes...

Sorry to hear....:(

constituent
12-03-2009, 11:42 AM
Come up with a better one instead of just bitching...

lol, then you'll belittle him, and call him "utopian."

tpreitzel
12-03-2009, 11:48 AM
Feed the dude to the will of the local community. Let the community convene an independent court of peers with no ABA influence, try the guy, and execute judgment if found guilty. Somehow, I suspect 75 years in prison would seem a bit tame. ;)

Or sentence him by mandating equal treatment to his body. Remember, this fellow is 47, not 101. Yes, age DOES matter in sentencing due to differences in the ability of the body to recover from physical abuse ... if at all at 101. Let the guy have it intensely to the point of permanent disability so he would have likely preferred prison.

MsDoodahs
12-03-2009, 11:54 AM
Feed the dude to the will of the local community. Let the community convene an independent court of peers with no ABA influence, try the guy, and execute judgment if found guilty. Somehow, I suspect 75 years in prison would seem a bit tame. ;)

I like it. :)

Dr.3D
12-03-2009, 12:05 PM
I can't believe there are those who believe this animal didn't get what he deserved. These types just think an old person is an easy mark. I hope he gets more done to him in prison than he did to that old lady. He knew he was doing wrong and did it anyway.... he shouldn't even be allowed to live.

klamath
12-03-2009, 12:28 PM
I can't believe there are those who believe this animal didn't get what he deserved. These types just think an old person is an easy mark. I hope he gets more done to him in prison than he did to that old lady. He knew he was doing wrong and did it anyway.... he shouldn't even be allowed to live.

This is where a line of concrete gets drawn between me and the so called civil liberatarians. I can fully agree that our jails our filled up with victimless inmates. When they come out and defend a person like this in a manner not even defending the guy from an angle of he might not be guilty but that he was treated too harshly bashing some 101 year old women. F*** the old bitch. F*** the system. I want not allies in these.

angelatc
12-03-2009, 12:33 PM

Oh well. Let's give him a place in the long list of causes we're fighting for. A place way, way down the list though.

Dieseler
12-03-2009, 12:41 PM
Yes.

Yes. They deserve our honor and all of the same protections that we endow upon our children.

I agree.
This bastard should be publicly executed.

tremendoustie
12-03-2009, 12:47 PM
Once again: Restitution. This guy should be working his ass off for decades and sending them and their families the checks. Some time cleaning and waiting on old people under close supervision would be good as well.

Dieseler
12-03-2009, 12:53 PM
Once again: Restitution. This guy should be working his ass off for decades and sending them and their families the checks. Some time cleaning and waiting on old people under close supervision would be good as well.

No, the old gal was not a kitten.
He should be no where around people who can not defend themselves and you will find people like that just about anywhere you go.
if you could make me believe it would be cost effective to house this prick and see that he paid that restitution with some sure enough hard core beneficial labor I might agree but it will never be cost effective to guard this fucker and feed him 24/ 7 365.
He's a waste of oxygen no matter how much beneficial carbon he releases into the atmosphere.

RM918
12-03-2009, 01:07 PM
Eh, I'm against giving people special rights in that context but in this situation I'd say it was appropriate, as attacking someone that old so recklessly could easily have been murder.

catdd
12-03-2009, 01:13 PM
Hopefully they will make short work of him in prison and spare us the expense.

tremendoustie
12-03-2009, 01:13 PM
No, the old gal was not a kitten.
He should be no where around people who can not defend themselves and you will find people like that just about anywhere you go.
if you could make me believe it would be cost effective to house this prick and see that he paid that restitution with some sure enough hard core beneficial labor I might agree but it will never be cost effective to guard this fucker and feed him 24/ 7 365.
He's a waste of oxygen no matter how much beneficial carbon he releases into the atmosphere.

You're right, he probably would be a continuing threat. Perhaps a truly secure situation would be better in his case, at least for the first few years -- a work/prison camp situation. He still should be sending his victims checks.

Mach
12-03-2009, 01:26 PM
Eh, I'm against giving people special rights in that context but in this situation I'd say it was appropriate, as attacking someone that old so recklessly could easily have been murder.

Damn straight, that's the first thing that crossed my mind.... attempted murder.

The problem here is he's getting way more than $78, he's getting a lifetime of free food, exercise and shelter.

For the people that defend this guy, be careful, you never know when 'he' may walk up to you.

GunnyFreedom
12-03-2009, 03:36 PM

Yes

No

But maiming someone to the point where they will never, ever recover for the rest of their lives, does.

Justice is not predicated on the "name" of a given crime, but on weighing the offense and providing a balance of punishment to suit the crime. This is why Lady Justice carries a a scale. If all justice required was the name of the crime, to say "well crime xyz gets abc years" then she would not need a scale, only some table contained in her book.

Measure for measure, the punishment should be made to fit the crime.

The elderly heal far more slowly than you or I do, and even for a healthy young person the injuries described would take years and years to recover from. There can be no question that this lady will go down to the grave having never recovered from this injury, probably still in agony, and may never even leave the hospital from this point forward until the day she dies.

If a 30 year old man were injured in such a way that he never recovered for the rest of his life, and had to spend his last 40 years in agony, and probably all 40 of them in the hospital until he finally, mercifully died, then yes, clearly the perpetrator rates life in prison. Even if his crime is simply called "assault."

From where I sit, it looks like those who think this person's punishment was "too harsh" are actually placing LESS value on this woman's life merely 'because she is old.'

Age is only a factor because under the same trauma a much younger person would eventually recover, meaning that the criminal would only steal X-years of their lives. This lady, being 101 years old, means she will NEVER recover, so that means the criminal has stolen the ENTIRE rest of her life. In my book, that's equivalent to murder, or at least manslaughter. So the way I see it, they were actually lenient on this piece of human garbage.

tangowhiskeykilo
12-03-2009, 05:18 PM
Yes

No

But maiming someone to the point where they will never, ever recover for the rest of their lives, does.

Justice is not predicated on the "name" of a given crime, but on weighing the offense and providing a balance of punishment to suit the crime. This is why Lady Justice carries a a scale. If all justice required was the name of the crime, to say "well crime xyz gets abc years" then she would not need a scale, only some table contained in her book.

Measure for measure, the punishment should be made to fit the crime.

The elderly heal far more slowly than you or I do, and even for a healthy young person the injuries described would take years and years to recover from. There can be no question that this lady will go down to the grave having never recovered from this injury, probably still in agony, and may never even leave the hospital from this point forward until the day she dies.

If a 30 year old man were injured in such a way that he never recovered for the rest of his life, and had to spend his last 40 years in agony, and probably all 40 of them in the hospital until he finally, mercifully died, then yes, clearly the perpetrator rates life in prison. Even if his crime is simply called "assault."

From where I sit, it looks like those who think this person's punishment was "too harsh" are actually placing LESS value on this woman's life merely 'because she is old.'

Age is only a factor because under the same trauma a much younger person would eventually recover, meaning that the criminal would only steal X-years of their lives. This lady, being 101 years old, means she will NEVER recover, so that means the criminal has stolen the ENTIRE rest of her life. In my book, that's equivalent to murder, or at least manslaughter. So the way I see it, they were actually lenient on this piece of human garbage.

Great post.

BenIsForRon
12-03-2009, 05:36 PM
Good post gunny.

If this guy mugged me, my family would say "Well that sucks" and move on. This old woman's family, on the other hand, are surely going through hell after this.

Cowlesy
12-04-2009, 07:16 PM
What the @#*)$ is wrong with people?????

Yesterday, a guy punches a senior citizen WalMart greeter IN THE FACE, and the guy is now in SERIOUS CONDITION. It was completely unprovoked -- there's even a Youtube on the site from the store camera.

http://www.examiner.com/x-12837-US-Headlines-Examiner~y2009m12d3-Senior-WalMart-Greeter-punched-in-face-caught-on-surveillance-video

tpreitzel
12-04-2009, 07:25 PM

Yesterday, a guy punches a senior citizen WalMart greeter IN THE FACE, and the guy is now in SERIOUS CONDITION. It was completely unprovoked -- there's even a Youtube on the site from the store camera.

http://www.examiner.com/x-12837-US-Headlines-Examiner~y2009m12d3-Senior-WalMart-Greeter-punched-in-face-caught-on-surveillance-video (http://www.examiner.com/x-12837-US-Headlines-Examiner%7Ey2009m12d3-Senior-WalMart-Greeter-punched-in-face-caught-on-surveillance-video)

The 72 year old had just suffered a stroke prior to the attack as well. Personally, my sentence for the assailant would be a beating to the face where the bones were broken and both eyes permanently blinded.

angelatc
12-04-2009, 07:53 PM

http://www.examiner.com/x-12837-US-Headlines-Examiner~y2009m12d3-Senior-WalMart-Greeter-punched-in-face-caught-on-surveillance-video

After Obamacare kicks in, the poor guy probably won't get treatment for his injuries because of his age, while the thug will get full medical and dental for the next 50 years of his life.

NYgs23
12-04-2009, 08:34 PM
Truly violent people do need to put under surveillance, but I do wonder if he was forced to pay full compensatory damages to the women for the stolen goods, medical treatment, pain and suffering. Or will they just have even more of their property stolen to keep him unproductively squatting in a cage?