PDA

View Full Version : Black Caucus tells Obama you've done too little for African Americans

bobbyw24
12-02-2009, 08:42 PM
Black Caucus tells Obama you've done too little for African Americans
By Silla Brush - 12/02/09 08:41 PM ET

Congressional Black Caucus (CBC) members on Wednesday criticized the Obama administration for not doing enough to help African-Americans through the bleak economy.

Soon after withholding their votes on a wide-ranging financial services bill, 10 CBC members said they are pressuring the White House to do more.

The House Financial Services Committee voted 31-27 in favor of the bill, but the lawmakers’ boycott came on a major financial measure the administration wants to see Congress pass this month.

“We have not been forceful enough in our efforts to protect the most vulnerable of our population,” said Rep. Maxine Waters (D-Calif.), who represents one of the nation’s poorest districts. “We can no longer afford for our public policy to be defined by the worldview of Wall Street.”

The committee vote came shortly after White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel was seen leaving the panel’s private staff room.

The lawmakers did not say for sure whether they would withhold their votes when the full House takes up financial overhaul legislation at the end of next week.

The CBC concerns first mounted nearly two weeks ago when the 10 members threatened to withhold their votes on the same bill. House Financial Services Committee Chairman Barney Frank (D-Mass.) postponed a vote on the bill at that point.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/70353-black-caucus-tells-obama-youve-done-too-little-for-african-americans-

Epic
12-02-2009, 08:45 PM
wtf... this is pretty racist.... the economy affects everyone, and the black lawmakers just care about the black people?

That's just putting people into groups...

I mean, what the hell was Obama supposed to do? Pass a bill that gives black people all of the money of white people?

jkr
12-02-2009, 08:55 PM
funny thing is, HE is the "african american"

shit is too funny

AutoDas
12-02-2009, 09:03 PM
what do they want him to do? I know, let's make it so blacks get a minimum wage of $50. they'd be rich!

zach
12-02-2009, 09:05 PM
why can't everyone be helped?

Dianne
12-02-2009, 09:26 PM
lmao.... isn't that an inept black congressman holding Sherry Jackson hostage for not paying her "voluntary taxes per Harry Reid).... The GA. Congressman is a loser and a disgrace... Don't even know his name and doubt he does unless someone slips him $1000. or so. Try calling his telephone numbers... no answer.
He's a damn loser, liar.. incompetant... everything which exists in Washington these days.

Raise up.............. Raiseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee up.... everybody get together and rasissssssssssssssssss upppppppppppppp....

jmdrake
12-02-2009, 09:40 PM
Can everybody take a break from political correctness, look at the only actual quote in the whole post and tell me what's wrong with it?

“We have not been forceful enough in our efforts to protect the most vulnerable of our population,” said Rep. Maxine Waters (D-Calif.), who represents one of the nation’s poorest districts. “We can no longer afford for our public policy to be defined by the worldview of Wall Street.”

Note the term "African American" or "black" is absent from any quote of anything anyone actually said. And say if it wasn't? That doesn't change the fact that the districts being represented are getting ripped off (along with everybody else) on behalf of Wall Street. Don't miss the forest for the trees. The congressional black caucus initially voted overwhelmingly against the 2008 Bush bailout until Obama twisted their arm into voting for it. There's apparently enough dissent over in the CBC over the health-care bill that someone felt the need to "call in Jesse Jackson". These splits between Obama and his base need to be encouraged. Getting people to see that government policies aren't working for their own narrow interest is the first step to getting them to see the bigger picture.

Regards,

John M. Drake

rprprs
12-02-2009, 09:45 PM
I never thought I'd find another woman in politics that I detest as much as Nancy Pelosi. But, that disgustingly arrogant Maxine Waters sure is giving Nancy a run for her money.:mad:

jmdrake
12-02-2009, 09:45 PM
what do they want him to do?

Quit with the Wall Street bailouts for starters.

jmdrake
12-02-2009, 09:46 PM
I never thought I'd find another woman in politics that I detest as much as Nancy Pelosi. But, that disgustingly arrogant Maxine Waters sure is giving Nancy a run for her money.:mad:

Because she doesn't want policy defined by Wall Street? What's disgusting about that? Note I'm no big fan of Waters but nothing she said in this article is wrong. Ignore the title. It's badly worded.

BlackTerrel
12-02-2009, 10:02 PM
wtf... this is pretty racist.... the economy affects everyone, and the black lawmakers just care about the black people?

That's just putting people into groups...

I mean, what the hell was Obama supposed to do? Pass a bill that gives black people all of the money of white people?

As said earlier read the quotes. Nothing they said was exclusively for black people.

rprprs
12-02-2009, 10:10 PM
Because she doesn't want policy defined by Wall Street? What's disgusting about that? Note I'm no big fan of Waters but nothing she said in this article is wrong. Ignore the title. It's badly worded.

My comments about Maxine were more general in nature and not specifically in regard to this article. Perhaps I was remiss in not making that clear.

However, I can assure you, when Maxine says: “We can no longer afford for our public policy to be defined by the worldview of Wall Street.”, she does not mean the same thing that you, I, or Ron Paul might mean if we were so quoted.
And her view that “We have not been forceful enough in our efforts to protect the most vulnerable of our population...”, undoubtedly references "efforts" that most here would not support.

jmdrake
12-02-2009, 10:13 PM
My comments about Maxine were more general in nature and not specifically in regard to this article. Perhaps I was remiss in not making that clear.

However, I can assure you, when Maxine says: “We can no longer afford for our public policy to be defined by the worldview of Wall Street.”, she does not mean the same thing that you, I, or Ron Paul might mean if we were so quoted.
And her view that “We have not been forceful enough in our efforts to protect the most vulnerable of our population...”, undoubtedly references "efforts" that most here would not support.

Fair enough. But just because most of us might not support those efforts does not make the efforts racist. Realizing that Obama only cares about Wall Street is an important first step for some people to make.

AutoDas
12-02-2009, 10:14 PM
As said earlier read the quotes. Nothing they said was exclusively for black people.

The CBC members laid out a series of policies they would like to see enacted: efforts to reduce foreclosures, including through principal write-downs; better access to credit for African-American-owned auto dealerships; more aid to small and community banks that lend to African-Americans; and more federal money going to support ad buys in minority radio stations and newspapers.

angelatc
12-02-2009, 10:28 PM

That's because you, I and Ron Paul aren't being investigated because we own shares in a bank that got a bunch of TARP money.

Original_Intent
12-02-2009, 10:59 PM
I remember Maxine Waters on the banking committee and she was always asking Bernanke inane questions like "What are you going to do to help black people be able to get into houses". I have seen very little of what she has ever said that is not race related, other than in her last townhalls she was telling everyone they were going to get free health care and they were going to make the rich people pay for it.

I hate nancy Pelosi more, but I don;t think there is a more stupid congressperson than Waters. It's no wonder her district is one of the poorest in the country, if they are stupid enough to keep electing this woman.

bobbyw24
12-03-2009, 06:10 AM
Can everybody take a break from political correctness, look at the only actual quote in the whole post and tell me what's wrong with it?

Note the term "African American" or "black" is absent from any quote of anything anyone actually said. And say if it wasn't? That doesn't change the fact that the districts being represented are getting ripped off (along with everybody else) on behalf of Wall Street. Don't miss the forest for the trees. The congressional black caucus initially voted overwhelmingly against the 2008 Bush bailout until Obama twisted their arm into voting for it. There's apparently enough dissent over in the CBC over the health-care bill that someone felt the need to "call in Jesse Jackson". These splits between Obama and his base need to be encouraged. Getting people to see that government policies aren't working for their own narrow interest is the first step to getting them to see the bigger picture.

Regards,

John M. Drake

Nice catch, John. Did you ever catch up with Prof. Swain?

Warrior_of_Freedom
12-03-2009, 06:36 AM
hahahahahaha that's the only reason they voted for Obama, free handouts! "Gimme some of dat white man money, mm mm it sure smell good"

Stary Hickory
12-03-2009, 09:41 AM
Blacks have equal protection under our laws as everyone else. I think America is reaching it's limit in this type of ignorant racist pandering. The color of your skin in no way should determine what you are entitled to from the government. The Black Caucus needs to be content with equality under the law and quit agitating for special privelege based on skin color.

It's blatantly racist and immoral.

Warrior_of_Freedom
12-03-2009, 09:44 AM
Blacks have equal protection under our laws as everyone else. I think America is reaching it's limit in this type of ignorant racist pandering. The color of your skin in no way should determine what you are entitled to from the government. The Black Caucus needs to be content with equality under the law and quit agitating for special privelege based on skin color.

It's blatantly racist and immoral.

yes and in the meantime we need to erase affirmative action, its the worst legislation ever passed

jmdrake
12-03-2009, 09:55 AM
Nice catch, John. Did you ever catch up with Prof. Swain?

Not yet. Thanks for the reminder! I'll send her an email.