PDA

View Full Version : I couldn't hold it in anymore and completely lost my cool in the middle of class...

Reason
12-02-2009, 07:27 PM
Today in one of my classes my substitute professor decided that a good topic for discussion was the fucking Tiger Woods "news" story...

At first I rolled my eyes and remained quiet as person after person talked about how the public has a RIGHT to demand the TRUTH from Tiger because he makes lots of money....

I slowly became more and more agitated as the completely insane, illogical, selfish and irrational points of view came spewing forth from the mouths of my fellow classmates...

"He should be forced to give back all that prize money"

"The police should arrest him until he tells them what happened!"

etc etc etc....

After about 30 minutes I completely lost it...

I honestly felt like the famous youtube "BOB" as I loudly explained how not a single thing that had been said in the last half an hour was anything other than complete and total nonsense,

people do not have the RIGHT to demand information from someone who had a fucking fight with wife on his own fucking property!

I especially focused on the one dumb ass girl who was claiming that "the cops should arrest Tiger until he told us what happened"

Saying something along the lines of...

what fucking law has he broken?

who has he hurt?

what property has he damaged other than his own?

should we strap him down and waterboard his golfing ass until he tells us the TRUTH!!!!??!?!?!

WHAT THE FUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

pretty much everyone just sat there in silence as I went on my tirade and 2 or 3 students in the back that hadn't been participating proceeded to clap when I was finished.

The substitute professor said nothing other than "well that's one opinion" as I picked up my pack and left.

20/20 hindsight...

Should I have yelled? probably not...

Should I have used the word "fucking" about 20 times? probably not...

Will I try to keep my cool and calmly explain my point of view in a quiet rational matter in the future? absolutely...

but I have to say...

It felt fucking good to release upon those fools

/sigh

teacherone
12-02-2009, 07:29 PM
lol awesome!

youtube it or it didn't happen :D

LibForestPaul
12-02-2009, 07:34 PM
You judge your classmates. That is why you yelled.
If you approached them as lost people who need education, you would not have yelled.
Common communication error...

Second it would have been more beneficial to YOU had you asked more question and be interested in why certain individuals think the way they do.

Dunedain
12-02-2009, 07:35 PM
You should be yelling and screaming because you paid good money for a course to listen to junk-media stories. That's the angle I would have taken. Who cares what these wacky Oprah-feed celebrities do.

She married him because he was a rich golfer. And she expected loyalty in return? He married her because it's what most successful black athletes do...you find the most attractive white female you can pull a Kobe Briant on her. Or an O.J. Simpson, or a...Tiger Woods.

Women who choose to trade their beauty for money and success...beware.

dannno
12-02-2009, 07:37 PM
should we strap him down and waterboard his golfing ass until he tells us the TRUTH!!!!??!?!?!

Bravo!!

Cowlesy
12-02-2009, 07:40 PM
You should be yelling and screaming because you paid good money for a course to listen to junk-media stories. That's the angle I would have taken. Who cares what these wacky Oprah-feed celebrities do.

She married him because he was a rich golfer. And she expected loyalty in return? He married her because it's what most successful black athletes do...you find the most attractive white female you can pull a Kobe Briant on her. Or an O.J. Simpson, or a...Tiger Woods.

Women who choose to trade their beauty for money and success...beware.

Ridiculously racist....please examine your motives.

Back on topic....sometimes you just have to get it out of your system CR. I know at Thanksgiving how everyone was blaming the shitty economy solely on Obama and how they wished we had Bush back, I wanted to blow a gasket.

Kotin
12-02-2009, 07:44 PM
same shit happens to me in class.. and sometimes I react the same way...

Reason
12-02-2009, 07:47 PM
If you approached them as lost people who need education, you would not have yelled.

Second it would have been more beneficial to YOU had you asked more question and be interested in why certain individuals think the way they do.

I tried soooo hard to calmly point out the fallacies and errors in logic time after time after time and it was as if I was speaking in Russian...

It's hard not to get angry when people roll their eyes at you when you say

"who did he harm other than himself?"

:confused:

Uriel999
12-02-2009, 07:47 PM
you sir, just made me miss college. lol

JK/SEA
12-02-2009, 07:50 PM
Next time (if), just get into the John Adams character, then end it with FUUUUUUCK! then walk out.

Other than that, BRAVO.

klamath
12-02-2009, 08:04 PM
I tried soooo hard to calmly point out the fallacies and errors in logic time after time after time and it was as if I was speaking in Russian...

It's hard not to get angry when people roll their eyes at you when you say

"who did he harm other than himself?"

:confused:
His wife in this case but I agree with you that it is not anyone elses right to know. We are talking about Tiger while the president just sent 30 thousand more troops to war!

speciallyblend
12-02-2009, 08:12 PM
His wife in this case but I agree with you that it is not anyone elses right to know. We are talking about Tiger while the president just sent 30 thousand more troops to war!

tigers only mistake was not bringing the other women into the bedroom and discussing this like adults with his wife;) hmmmm now the story could of got juicy:) either would be a private cage match or a dam good time:)

if your gonna get married at least try to share.

Freedom 4 all
12-02-2009, 08:15 PM
I do that pretty much every time a prof shows a Michael Moore movie. I always tell myself I've seen Bowling for Dictatorship enough times to just smile and nod and this time I won't yell but when the class "debate" turns into an agreementfest on how unbelievably brave and awesome he is for "questioning the status quo" I can't seem to help myself.

Bman
12-02-2009, 08:22 PM
It's tough being young. Just be upfront about your emotions. It's ok to let people know you are pissed off. Just start letting people know before you cannot control it.

coyote_sprit
12-02-2009, 08:22 PM
Was the dumb girl atleast hot?

LibertyEagle
12-02-2009, 08:28 PM
http://i34.tinypic.com/2074b2c.jpg

As far as rants go, it was a pretty darn good one.
Well done. ;)

andrewh817
12-02-2009, 08:31 PM

I'm not very interested in why people care about meaningless celebrity gossip......... whatever the cause is I want to stay as far away as possible.

Epic
12-02-2009, 08:43 PM
Was the dumb girl atleast hot?

she was probably hot, hot girls can get away with being dumb.

BenIsForRon
12-02-2009, 08:44 PM
Great story. I know you probably made a few people in the class feel pretty dumb, which is good. Dumb people need to feel dumb once in a while so they will be motivated to change the way they think.

dannno
12-02-2009, 09:13 PM
We are talking about Tiger while the president just sent 30 thousand more troops to war!

Ya know that feeling when you realize later that you really shoulda said something earlier but now it's too late??

I'm getting that feeling and it wasn't even me...

It's really too bad the OP couldn't have ended his speech with talking about Obama sending 30k more troops while we're talking about Tiger Woods and THEN stormed out :D

dr. hfn
12-02-2009, 09:15 PM
fuck ya!

sparebulb
12-02-2009, 09:17 PM
Today in one of my classes my substitute professor decided that a good topic for discussion was the fucking Tiger Woods "news" story...

At first I rolled my eyes and remained quiet as person after person talked about how the public has a RIGHT to demand the TRUTH from Tiger because he makes lots of money....

I slowly became more and more agitated as the completely insane, illogical, selfish and irrational points of view came spewing forth from the mouths of my fellow classmates...

etc etc etc....

I honestly felt like the famous youtube "BOB" as I loudly explained how not a single thing that had been said in the last half an hour was anything other than complete and total nonsense,

people do not have the RIGHT to demand information from someone who had a fucking fight with wife on his own fucking property!

I especially focused on the one dumb ass girl who was claiming that "the cops should arrest Tiger until he told us what happened"

who has he hurt?

pretty much everyone just sat there in silence as I went on my tirade and 2 or 3 students in the back that hadn't been participating proceeded to clap when I was finished.

The substitute professor said nothing other than "well that's one opinion" as I picked up my pack and left.

20/20 hindsight...

Will I try to keep my cool and calmly explain my point of view in a quiet rational matter in the future? absolutely...

but I have to say...

/sigh

Civil Radiant,

Job well done.

First a question. What type of class is this supposed to be? I'm going to assume that this was not journalism or media relations or even political events of some sort.

Unfortunately, you are now a marked man. You must now step up as a leader and never forget that there are those on campus that will be looking for you to slip up in some way so they can use the SYSTEM to take a giant shit on you. Please consider the possibility that someone has already reported you to the campus police as a possible "violent" personality. Hopefully, this has not happened, but it is possible.

It is a good thing that it was a substitute teacher but you can be guaranteed that the events have already been forwarded to the regular instructor. And their version may be very different than yours. Please consider my following suggestions:

First. Prepare a formal complaint against the substitute instructor to the division chair, the dean of instruction, and the university board concerning the applicability of this discussion and whether it meets the professional criteria at a university level. Use this only if a complaint has been filed against you.

Second. Prepare a letter to the editor of your school newspaper relating your experience. Submit the same story to your local newspaper and sympathetic national publications such as World Net Daily. Use this at your own discretion under penalty of receiving a low/failing grade or making the situation a whole lot worse. If trouble comes, it may be the only thing that gets the SYSTEM to back off.

Good luck and good job.

Dianne
12-02-2009, 09:17 PM
Tiger another diversion for the mentally retarded.... and believe me, I don't wish to down play anyone with mental disorders... but I do wish to rape the losers (once known as news media) for their efforts to totally distract people from felony rape by the US Federal Government (as it was once known)

TortoiseDream
12-02-2009, 09:18 PM
lol that's great. i know exactly how you feel. one of my friends was in a class and everyone there was saying that a man cannot be raped because men always want sex. there's lots of srslywtf moments.

Reason
12-02-2009, 09:22 PM
Ya know that feeling when you realize later that you really shoulda said something earlier but now it's too late??

I'm getting that feeling and it wasn't even me...

It's really too bad the OP couldn't have ended his speech with talking about Obama sending 30k more troops while we're talking about Tiger Woods and THEN stormed out :D

I actually kinda did because part of my rant involved addressing how everyone kept blaming "THE MEDIA" in response to my saying it was a bullshit story.

wahhhh

it's the media's fault because they keep showing the tiger woods story 24/7

when I told the substitute professor that I was angry with him for facilitating the non issue story his response was that I obviously don't watch the news because it's on every TV and Radio channel....

which I then responded with how he and everyone else needed to use the qualifier "MASS MEDIA" because REAL media is on the internet and requires intelligence and effort to seek out and learn from

I specifically said that this was bullshit when we have things like WAR and the Devaluation of the Dollar going on RIGHT NOW..

AKSDJL:KDAKJSKDJL:AKSDL:KAJSDK

ChaosControl
12-02-2009, 09:25 PM
And fellow students like that is why this country is so screwed up.

MsDoodahs
12-02-2009, 09:28 PM

etc etc etc....

who has he hurt?

20/20 hindsight...

but I have to say...

/sigh

This MADE MY NIGHT!

Thank you so much for posting your story!

I will read the rest of the thread now.

MsD

Brian4Liberty
12-02-2009, 09:36 PM

One day she will be your boss or co-worker...and you will get fired. :(

It's tougher in the corporate world than it is in college. There is a major reason for America's decline. Extrapolate from your classroom and you will know what it is...

Brian4Liberty
12-02-2009, 09:37 PM
And fellow students like that is why this country is so screwed up.

You beat me to it!

Endgame
12-02-2009, 09:42 PM

etc etc etc....

who has he hurt?

Damn man I feel your pain. This is exactly what I'm talking about when I say the young people around me are fascists without even realizing it.

BlackTerrel
12-02-2009, 09:49 PM

Classic line by your professor - straight out of a movie :D

You probably shouldn't have yelled or cussed but I agree 100% with your overall message.

Nate
12-02-2009, 11:21 PM
Very nice.

I had a similar blowup yesterday myself on the same BS subject. My co-workers were discussing Tiger for the entire lunch hour. Finally I snapped yelling, "WHO GIVES A FUCK, WHO GIVES A FUCK, WHO GIVES A FUCK, WHO GIVES A FUCK! Obama just sent 30,000 more troops into 'The Graveyard of Empires', the dollar is in free fall, the EU just APPOINTED a new dictator, Global Warming is proven to be a hoax and yet the Copenhagen Treaty is still going forward in establishing a global tax system but all you media brainwashed morons care about is Tiger FUCKING Woods! WAKE THE FUCK UP!!!"

Needless to say, I ate at a table all alone today. I guess I'm persona non grata now.

angelatc
12-02-2009, 11:25 PM

I suspect his wife would face charges if he told them everything that happened. It's private stuff - if he doesn't want her to face charges then that should be the end of it.

angelatc
12-02-2009, 11:27 PM
Very nice.

I had a similar blowup yesterday myself on the same BS subject. My co-workers were discussing Tiger for the entire lunch hour. Finally I snapped yelling, "WHO GIVES A FUCK, WHO GIVES A FUCK, WHO GIVES A FUCK, WHO GIVES A FUCK! Obama just sent 30,000 more troops into 'The Graveyard of Empires', the dollar is in free fall, the EU just APPOINTED a new dictator, Global Warming is proven to be a hoax and yet the Copenhagen Treaty is still going forward in establishing a global tax system but all you media brainwashed morons care about is Tiger FUCKING Woods! WAKE THE FUCK UP!!!"

Needless to say, I ate at a table all alone today. I guess I'm persona non grata now.

How ya doing Nate?

I miss the campaign for this reason. Hanging around all day and half the night with people who wouldn't talk about this stuff for more than 1 minute was awesome.

Anti Federalist
12-02-2009, 11:31 PM

Angry hollering is the logical response to this, and to so much else of what's happening.

The time for quiet, "reasonable" talk is long over.

Nate
12-03-2009, 12:13 AM
How ya doing Nate?

I miss the campaign for this reason. Hanging around all day and half the night with people who wouldn't talk about this stuff for more than 1 minute was awesome.

I'm doing good. & you?

Yeah I miss having actual intelligent conversations. I'm about to get active in David Ratowitz's campaign for this very reason. He is running against the Democrat Machine here in Chicago so I doubt he will win even if he gets more votes from actual living people but at least I'll get some intelligent conversation for a change.

ClayTrainor
12-03-2009, 12:29 AM
Great story!

CR, it sounds like you made an impression and had legitimate cause to be upset. Should you have yelled? probably not, as you said, but it sounds like you made a good point in doing so.

You can't walk out every time you have a strong disagreement, so in the future... practice the socratic method :)

Dionysus
12-03-2009, 12:30 AM
You must learn to suffer fools gladly.

G.K. Chesterton wrote on the way in which this should be interpreted,
“ There is an apostolic injunction to suffer fools gladly. We always lay the stress on the word “suffer,” and interpret the passage as one urging resignation. It might be better, perhaps, to lay the stress upon the word “gladly,” and make our familiarity with fools a delight, and almost a dissipation. Nor is it necessary that our pleasure in fools (or at least in great and godlike fools) should be merely satiric or cruel. The great fool is he in whom we cannot tell which is the conscious and which the unconscious humour; we laugh with him and laugh at him at the same time. An obvious instance is that of ordinary and happy marriage. A man and a woman cannot live together without having against each other a kind of everlasting joke. Each has discovered that the other is a fool, but a great fool. This largeness, this grossness and gorgeousness of folly is the thing which we all find about those with whom we are in intimate contact; and it is the one enduring basis of affection, and even of respect.
source: Wikipedia

tremendoustie
12-03-2009, 12:35 AM
Perhaps what you did was not ideal, but I think it was certainly far better than staying silent. I am sure you got a number of people thinking.

agitator
12-03-2009, 12:50 AM
I've been away from the TV all day, so what is the latest update with Tiger? Did they get around to that in the discussion?

Chester Copperpot
12-03-2009, 12:55 AM
good job my man

Epic
12-03-2009, 12:57 AM
couldn't hold it in anymore and completely lost my cool in the middle of class...

Did you at least clean it up afterwards?

Chester Copperpot
12-03-2009, 12:58 AM
Very nice.

Yeah that woulda been the message to say in class.. and then just hijack the entire class's discussion on hos global warming is a hoax for globalization.... fuckers

hugolp
12-03-2009, 01:08 AM

Why did you left? You should have stayed.

Pauls' Revere
12-03-2009, 01:08 AM
Many years ago I had a similar situation in a psychology class where the discussion steered into some line of b.s. pyscho-babble. For the life of me I'll never remember what that topic was but I will never forget the relief and self respect I gained from it. One person in the back raised her hand and voiced in agreement, then two, and three...the girl I was dating at the time slouched in her seat embarassed to sit next to me. Needless to say we never saw each other again.

Good job! Way to go! people have to wake up to the b.s. wherever it is. Sadly, acadamia has become a test of conformity rather than individual expression.

purplechoe
12-03-2009, 01:35 AM

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1007/1429795189_627795b1e4.jpg?v=0

Omphfullas Zamboni
12-03-2009, 01:37 AM

There has got to be a caption/meme for this picture.

Revolution0918
12-03-2009, 01:38 AM
C.R....i love doing this, i used to sit back and just shake my head, but ive educated myself so much in the past year that i can argue and debate well enough to even take on the professors now, the youth of america is done for there is no doubt in my mind. Thank god i graduate in 2 weeks. Kudos for the outburst...keep it up, youll reach a few of them sooner or later if you keep to facts and good arguing points.

Revolution0918
12-03-2009, 01:40 AM
and p.s. about all the fucking and fucks....use them, for some reason r generation responds to this talk and it actually wakes them up, sadly.

rpfan2008
12-03-2009, 03:07 AM
There has got to be a caption/meme for this picture.

Level Complete !

nandnor
12-03-2009, 03:59 AM
Good idea to remember that peace and property isnt inherently any more right than war and socialism. All in the eye of the beholder.

So rather than claim that what they think is right in fact isnt, its better to show that they contradict within their own use of the concept right, like them valuing ownership of their consumption goods and not wanting to give them away, etc.

Bucjason
12-03-2009, 08:37 AM
I personally would have chosen a more serious topic than Tiger Woods to go ape-shit over . :D

YouTube - Slow Clap (Tim's Speech) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvoI4KdtX4k)

georgiaboy
12-03-2009, 08:57 AM
No need to apologize -- this media frenzy surrounding TW is ridiculous, and you were right to show your indignance. I hope Tiger continues to not speak out on his private life. It's a great example for those of us who demand our privacy. The salacious, gossip-ridden media environment we're in is ridiculous, especially given all the real news out there getting covered up by this non-issue.

I'm getting close to blowing a gasket or two myself. Sometimes ya just gotta blow off some steam at the idiocy surrounding you.

"I'm mad as hell and I'm not gonna take it anymore" comes to mind.

Meatwasp
12-03-2009, 09:05 AM
You should have yelled louder and pounded the desk for emphasis

JenH88
12-03-2009, 09:36 AM
<claps>

im so sick of hearing about this crap too..

constituent
12-03-2009, 09:44 AM

etc etc etc....

who has he hurt?

20/20 hindsight...

but I have to say...

/sigh

It helps to get high before class...

Or take your neighbor's adderall, and just silently tweak out on your homework or doodles or something.

Then, when you get home, write a formal letter of complaint to your professor and the department head. What happens from there will mostly depend on the size of the university. You can pretty much always assure a response, and potentially a meeting w/ the dept. head or dean by sending your letter certified.

Anyway, when you blow up, you lose. For God's sake man, you might have just b*ed out the love of your life!

constituent
12-03-2009, 09:46 AM

there has got to be a caption/meme for this picture.

win fail?

constituent
12-03-2009, 09:50 AM
Why did you left? You should have stayed.

yea, that would have been the right thing to do.

[;), nudge]

qh4dotcom
12-03-2009, 11:08 AM

I don't really care about this scandal due to the reasons you mentioned and the fact that there are more important things people should be concerned about like the dollar devaluation and wars, but don't forget that Tiger has contracts with plenty of sponsors and he's expected to be a role model. They don't pay him 100 million just to play golf but also to behave well off the course and avoid scandals like these. So this is a breach of contract and Tiger can't play the privacy card here with his sponsors. If Tiger wanted privacy, he should not enter into these contracts or change the wording of the contracts to "I can do whatever I want off the course". This should have been kept behind closed doors, but Tiger screwed up when he didn't keep his problems at home, went out and hit the fire hydrant. Yes it none of the business of all the millions of nosy folks wanting to find out what happened, but the sponsors have the right to know what happened since their businesses are at stake and they have contracts with Tiger.

constituent
12-03-2009, 11:09 AM
The time for quiet, "reasonable" talk is long over.

still?

Uncle Emanuel Watkins
12-03-2009, 12:11 PM

etc etc etc....

who has he hurt?

20/20 hindsight...

but I have to say...

/sigh

lest it become repressed and fester. One should even be allowed to use the "N" word openly in an institute of higher learning as even people of color should learn how to handle their emotions when they become stressed. In fact, I think all state schools should have a large area where every ethnicity can meet to get into heated discussions. Such meetings at a university would be far wiser than having them take place at a local bar where sometimes the locals down a few too many.

Dieseler
12-03-2009, 12:48 PM
Wow, CW, sounds like you attend kindergarten by some of the replies your Kindergarten teacher was getting from his choice of topic to speak on.
It's just another sign of the times we find ourselves in I guess.