PDA

View Full Version : Obama is becoming new rising star of Republican party

Liberty Star
12-01-2009, 08:50 PM
As indies and anti war left/right drift away from Obama, he's gaining rapid popularity among "conservatives" that populate Republican party:

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2009/12/01/obamas-afghanistan-plan-wins-conservative-praise/

speciallyblend
12-01-2009, 08:52 PM
Obama Bush 2012/ More Of The Same or Obama Bush 2012/ Bring our Troops Home

bunklocoempire
12-01-2009, 08:53 PM
Government's ideal voters are being made yet again.

Bunkloco

21st Century Republican
12-01-2009, 09:25 PM
At least the Republicans can say that they stuck with Afghanistan while those Democrats that didn't are now flipping on this issue.

I can't be critical because I don't have a solution. It's too easy to just leave. I am not sure if things will get worse and cause our country more problems.

Liberty Star
12-01-2009, 09:44 PM
At least the Republicans can say that they stuck with Afghanistan while those Democrats that didn't are now flipping on this issue.

I can't be critical because I don't have a solution. It's too easy to just leave. I am not sure if things will get worse and cause our country more problems.

There is a solution, that is much better than current bad "solution". "Counter insurgency" strategy by putting more troops there will only fuel more insurgency, our only hope with this escalation strategy and to later claim "victory" would be to buy/bribe more "sons of Afghanistan" aka Talibans we're fighting there and that is not a promising solution because of facts unique to that land. Best and most efficient solution is an economic one if we want to do reconstruction there but it is not to engage in a war of attrition against locals who are only fighting us because we're over there.

Republicans never treated Afghanistan as a serious war until Obama came along, this is either an ego satisfying play in pusruit of some "victory"/retribution claim or another futile, expensive pursuit based on ignorant "democracy spreading" assumptions of the past reincarnated that will cost $1 Million per troop a year. Must we forget previous Republican stances:

Cheney Calls Iraq Central Front in Terror War

Aug 7, 2007 ... Iraq is the central front in the terror war, where enemies of the United States have gathered to launch attacks and establish a safe haven, ...
www.globalsecurity.org/wmd/.../iraq/.../iraq-070807-afps01.htm -

With this Obama plan, in about 18 months draw down will begin well ahead of 2012 elections. What is to stop talibans and locals to lay low for a while or even join corrupt Karzai regimes forces to get free weapons/salaries and go back to their current ways after we withdraw? Or do we have an open-ended staying plan there?
We "won" in Iraq long time ago, are we out of there yet and is it less likely to create future terrorists now than it was before invasion.

This is a plan to Obama/Republicans' credit but it is a bad one based on whims and loose assumptions.

jmdrake
12-01-2009, 09:47 PM
As indies and anti war left/right drift away from Obama, he's gaining rapid popularity among "conservatives" that populate Republican party:

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2009/12/01/obamas-afghanistan-plan-wins-conservative-praise/

That's no different from dems supporting Bush on amnesty while his base ran from him on that issue. And I've already heard the radio talk show spin. "It took him two months to do what we were saying all along. The timeline is no good. etc"

jmdrake
12-01-2009, 09:52 PM

Things are going to get worse regardless. As for causing our country "more problems", note that Russia pulled out and they weren't attacked on 9/11. Besides, we could have taken care of OBL without invading Afghanistan in the first place. We had plenty of pre 9/11 opportunities to capture or kill OBL prior to 9/11. We didn't because he was a CIA asset. It's times like these when having a "truther" outlook is most helpful.

angelatc
12-02-2009, 07:32 AM
The whole freaking Middle East is a cluster f***, and the best thing we could do is leave. Of course that wont make the right happy - a significant portion of them are still ticked that we pulled out of Vietnam.

Every argument I've seen lately involves Pakistan and their nuclear bomb. Apparently if we left they would follow us home and nuke us. I really think that India would have more to worry about if Pakistan suddenly went suicidal, but that's just me.

RM918
12-02-2009, 07:52 AM

Worse. Like, say, total economic collapse? Things might be pretty tough in the short-term, but things will settle themselves out. If any threats do arise out of there after we leave, we'd be far better off dealing with it on a case-by-case basis.

If people are citing further terrorist attacks, we have far more 'right' to invade Saudi Arabia than Afghanistan or Pakistan, but of course that'll never happen.

Todd
12-02-2009, 08:07 AM
It would be really easy to laugh at all the "believers" that put this bozo in office thinking anything would change.........if it wasn't so serious

catdd
12-02-2009, 10:43 AM
The battle lines are being drawn and the emergence of a new party is on the horizon.

cindy25
12-02-2009, 07:41 PM
Obama could be beaten in a Dem primary, but no one will run against him.
the Republican base is pro-war, and therefore hopeless.