PDA

View Full Version : Mind of a High Schooler

CoreyBowen999
12-01-2009, 04:25 PM
Today I got really bored and my friend was spouting out how being a conservative is the only way. Rather than argue with him, I wrote down a few points that list my simple philosophy. I asked him to cross out which ones he did not like and also to comment on each of them and this is what I got. Keep in mind, he was brought up as a total conservative, is in 11th grade like I am, and acts like he knows government.

http://i45.tinypic.com/2cwrfqv.jpg

its...quite sad really. On a lighter note, I found out today my girlfriend supports the exact same things as me. Made my day :p Every once and I while I may post in here another so called mini survey. I might interview people with more..thought out answers.

Epic
12-01-2009, 04:27 PM
how would legalizing drugs, which would dramatically lower prices, help the mexicans who are dealing drugs?

It's the mexican drug cartels which lobby underhandedly for harsh drug laws.

Kludge
12-01-2009, 04:30 PM
BURN THEM U.N. BASTARDS

Does he speak in a drawl? That'd be fantastic.

A. Havnes
12-01-2009, 04:31 PM
Well, at least you two agree on some stuff. Does he watch O'Reilly every night?

CoreyBowen999
12-01-2009, 04:32 PM
yes he does. And said he would.. vote for Hannity if he ran for president.. >.<

The Deacon
12-01-2009, 04:38 PM
He's at a very impressionable age. Encourage him to watch Freedom watch IMO.

I went to a highschool in New York last year with mostly liberal students/teachers except for my 2 best friends (one of whom was Giuliani supporter :rolleyes:). Anyway, I wish I would have done more back there to educate the Obamabots.

RevolutionSD
12-01-2009, 04:38 PM
Tell him to watch:

YouTube - True News 13: Statism is Dead - Part 3 - The Matrix (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P772Eb63qIY)

Actually, both of you should watch it and have an interesting discussion afterwords!

Jeremy
12-01-2009, 05:09 PM
The people at the highschool I went to would probably say the exact opposite (I live in New England).

dr. hfn
12-01-2009, 05:36 PM
Convert your friend by giving him:

The Revolution A Manifesto
End the Fed
America Freedom to Fascism
The Power of Nightmares
The End of America Letter of Warning to a Young Patriot
Common Sense Revisited
For Liberty

paulpwns
12-01-2009, 05:44 PM

End the Fed
The Power of Nightmares
Common Sense Revisited
For Liberty

Sounds great except for Beck's book. Why anyone listens to that idiot is unknown to me,

RM918
12-01-2009, 05:49 PM

End the Fed
The Power of Nightmares
Common Sense Revisited
For Liberty

You expect that person to read books? And more than one?

mczerone
12-01-2009, 05:54 PM

End the Fed
The Power of Nightmares
Common Sense Revisited
For Liberty

We're dealing with a product of the US high school system here: he needs videos and soundbites, not homework.

He needs to be educated that "fuck the terrorists" may as well mean "kill GOP members", that criminals and foreigners profit from drugs because they are illegal, that the gov't is inherently corrupt by monopolizing the currency, and that all "free trade agreements" are entangling alliances that restrict markets and real free trade.

This kid is a great example of contemporary "conservatism", and is unwashed enough to keep his language vulgar and his opinions clear - unlike the obfuscatory mature conservatives who hide the real motivation behind their feelings: "I am right, my God is right, and if you disagree I'd rather shoot you rather than argue civilly"

Mini-Me
12-01-2009, 06:02 PM
In my experience I find that converting liberals to the Liberty movement is easier than converting neocons, maybe because neocons are very much instilled with their beliefs because they have talking heads like Limbaugh, Beck, and the likes that they listen to? While liberals seem to just go with the flow and can be easily convinced if you show them economic policy.

Anyone else agree?

I agree. Granted, it's difficult to change a liberal's mind on economics, mainly because liberal economic views are so emotionally driven, and it's hard to shift the framing of the discussion and get an emotionally driven person to trust any other framework besides their own concept of imposed fairness.

However, for as emotional as liberals are on economic issues, neocons are an order of magnitude more emotional on foreign policy and civil liberty issues. For neocons, "AMERICA FUCK YEAH BECAUSE WE'RE THE GOOD GUYS NO MATTER WHAT AND OUR GOVERNMENT MAKES US THE BEST IN THE WORLD" is basically a religion. It's extremely difficult to change a neocon's mind on foreign policy and civil liberties. They've simply been brainwashed too thoroughly, and they identify personally with not just America but the government as well, since they cannot mentally separate the two. Any attack on the United States government is an attack on the United States is an attack on them and their family and everything they hold dear. It's probably almost as hard to change a liberal's view on gun control, but probably still not quite as hard. (Both "types" are pretty resistant to anything that sounds "old-fashioned" though, like eliminating the Federal Reserve...because, you know, any change we made a long time ago had to have been progress, right? :rolleyes: )

mczerone
12-01-2009, 06:02 PM
In my experience I find that converting liberals to the Liberty movement is easier than converting neocons, maybe because neocons are very much instilled with their beliefs because they have talking heads like Limbaugh, Beck, and the likes that they listen to? While liberals seem to just go with the flow and can be easily convinced if you show them economic policy.

Anyone else agree?

Definitely, especially those who are "liberals" because they believe in free choice of individuals.

And like you said, the trick is to get them to see that economic liberty is identical to sexual and recreational liberty, but with currency instead of their body or their drug of choice.

It is very easy to convince a liberal that they should be free from taxes once you pose to them the dilemma of being allowed complete liberty but not being able to keep any earnings due to heavy taxation.

It's hard to convince someone who believes that "you are better off with the govt in charge" that the state shouldn't fight wars or nationalize healthcare, but there is a way.

malkusm
12-01-2009, 06:08 PM
We're dealing with a product of the US high school system here: he needs videos and soundbites, not homework.

He needs to be educated that "fuck the terrorists" may as well mean "kill GOP members", that criminals and foreigners profit from drugs because they are illegal, that the gov't is inherently corrupt by monopolizing the currency, and that all "free trade agreements" are entangling alliances that restrict markets and real free trade.

This kid is a great example of contemporary "conservatism", and is unwashed enough to keep his language vulgar and his opinions clear - unlike the obfuscatory mature conservatives who hide the real motivation behind their feelings: "I am right, my God is right, and if you disagree I'd rather shoot you rather than argue civilly"

*applause*

tremendoustie
12-01-2009, 06:15 PM
Do criminals and terrorists make money off of asprin? Booze? Cigarettes? I rest my case.