PDA

View Full Version : Staten Island some s@^# is going down.

silverhandorder
12-01-2009, 12:41 PM
Got called by my friend he is saying that there seems some kind of panic. A lot of people are being admitted to the hospital where he works. A quick search showed someone released chemicals in water treatment plant and the workers were evacuated.

aravoth
12-01-2009, 12:43 PM
Got called by my friend he is saying that there seems some kind of panic. A lot of people are being admitted to the hospital where he works. A quick search showed someone released chemicals in water treatment plant and the workers were evacuated.

Are we talking about chemicals released into the water supply, or just into the area?

silverhandorder
12-01-2009, 12:46 PM
Here is the link.

http://www.silive.com/northshore/index.ssf/2009/12/illegally_discharged_substance.html <-- Should have linked with the OP.

I guess the chemicals were released where they were processing fecal matter.

RyanRSheets
12-01-2009, 12:50 PM
They can stand around smelling other people's feces all day, thereby inhaling particles of crap, but the smell of gasoline causes an evacuation?

FrankRep
12-01-2009, 12:51 PM
Illegally discharged substance likely cause of Port Richmond plant evacuation

December 01, 2009

STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. -- Approximately 140 employees were evacuated from a wastewater treatment plant in Port Richmond this morning after an “illegally discharged substance” — likely a petroleum product dumped into the sewer system — entered the facility, a spokeswoman for the city Department of Environmental Protection said.

Two electricians were treated by EMS and taken to Richmond University Medical Center, West Brighton, according to Mercedes Padilla, a DEP spokeswoman. The source of the discharge remains under investigation.

Workers said the fumes smelled like gasoline.

One worker, Robert Meyer of N.J., said he saw one of the electricians removed by stretcher after collapsing.

“We were working, and he was just overcome with fumes," he said.

Meyer said the plant typically smells like fecal matter, “but today it smelled like gas, really bad.“

SOURCE:
http://www.silive.com/northshore/index.ssf/2009/12/illegally_discharged_substance.html

JoshLowry
12-01-2009, 12:52 PM
Nice thread title.

silverhandorder
12-01-2009, 12:52 PM
Well some of them collapsed.

dannno
12-01-2009, 12:56 PM
They can stand around smelling other people's feces all day, thereby inhaling particles of crap, but the smell of gasoline causes an evacuation?

Ya, almost like an advertisement for organic gardening, isn't it?

Reason
12-01-2009, 01:19 PM
http://media.silive.com/northshore/photo/12-01-depjpg-ac539d7e1f01539e_large.jpg

Romulus
12-01-2009, 02:02 PM
sounds like a shitty job

Reason
12-01-2009, 02:03 PM
Nice thread title.

i loled :D

Original_Intent
12-01-2009, 02:05 PM

Well that is very apropos to the thread title...

RM918
12-01-2009, 02:07 PM

I imagine it would take a LOT of fabreeze to make a wastewater treatment plant not smell like feces.