PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul: Bernanke's defense of the Fed a 'hoax'

bobbyw24
12-01-2009, 09:03 AM
By Michael O'Brien - 12/01/09 08:08 AM ET
Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke's warning that efforts to regulate the board would "impair" the economy are a "hoax," Rep. Ron Paul (R-Texas) said Monday night.

Responding to Bernanke's op-ed in the Washington Post this past weekend, in which the Federal Reserve chairman said that Paul's bill to audit the Fed would harm the U.S. economy, the Texas congressman accused Bernanke of dodging responsibility for his role in causing the recession.

"He claims that they're rescuing, and making things better. But he takes no responsibility for causing all the problems," Paul said during an appearance on the Fox Business Network Monday evening.

"So I think it's a hoax for him to talk about financial stability," the libertarian Republican added. "I mean, how could it get much worse?"

Paul's bill to audit the monetary institution, which has drawn over 300 supporters in Congress, along with Senate Banking Committee Chairman Chris Dodd's (D-Conn.) proposal to strip the Fed of some key regulatory power prompted Bernanke to take to the pages of the Post to defend the Fed's work on the economy.

"A number of the legislative proposals being circulated would significantly reduce the capacity of the Federal Reserve to perform its core functions," Bernanke wrote in a thinly-veiled shot toward the Paul and Dodd proposals. "These measures are very much out of step with the global consensus on the appropriate role of central banks, and they would seriously impair the prospects for economic and financial stability in the United States."

Paul, a 2008 Republican presidential candidate, called the op-ed's sentiments "predictable."

"This is a predictable result of setting up the Federal Reserve in the first place," he said. "Finally, the bubble burst and the big financial crisis is here, and they can't inflate their way out of it."

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/69911-ron-paul-bernankes-defense-of-the-fed-a-hoax

bobbyw24
12-01-2009, 10:00 AM
Mishkin Calls Ron Paul Fed-Audit Bill ‘Incredibly Dangerous’
By Steve Matthews and Thomas R. Keene

Dec. 1 (Bloomberg) -- U.S. Representative Ron Paul’s proposal to allow audits of the Federal Reserve’s monetary policy is “incredibly dangerous” and could stoke inflation, said Frederic Mishkin, a former Fed governor.

“The Ron Paul bill is incredibly dangerous,” said Mishkin, who is now a Columbia University professor, in a Bloomberg Radio interview. “It is remarkable the kind of attacks that are occurring on Fed independence.”

Fed Chairman Ben S. Bernanke has opposed the proposal by Paul, a Texas Republican, saying it might open the door to interference in monetary policy. A separate proposal in the Senate backed by Banking Committee Chairman Christopher Dodd would strip the Fed of authority to supervise banks.

Paul’s bill “would be very dangerous in terms of promoting inflation,” Mishkin said. “If you make the central bank beholden to politicians on a short-run basis, you get very bad outcomes: high inflation and less of the ability to deal with shocks like the ones we had recently.”

read on

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aqUfLCJcZ7Ow&pos=6

catdd
12-01-2009, 10:04 AM
"You tell me that if I take the deposits from the bank and annul its charter, I shall ruin ten thousand families. That may be true, gentlemen, but that is your sin! Should I let you go on, you will ruin fifty thousand families, and that would be my sin! You are a den of vipers and thieves."