PDA

View Full Version : Should Ben Bernanke be confirmed for a second term as Fed chair?

surf
11-30-2009, 05:27 PM
surely already posted, but here is a poll on CNN: http://money.cnn.com/2009/11/23/news/economy/Bernanke_confirmation/index.htm?cnn=yes

from the article:
Fed watchers say they expect that Bernanke will be confirmed for a second term as chairman. But he may get the fewest favorable votes on record - and end up at the helm of a vastly changed Federal Reserve.

"It's going to wind up to be a very different institution," said American Enterprise Institute scholar Vincent Reinhart, a former director of the Fed's division of monetary affairs. "At least on the Federal Reserve part, Congress is going to converge on something that's tougher on the Fed. It's a way to vent anger. And fundamentally people are angry."
"Voting against him is a way of showing your discomfort with the current system and a lot of them are uncomfortable with the current system," Reinhart said.

results: Should Ben Bernanke be confirmed for a second term as Fed chair?
Yes 46%
No 54%

Has anyone written to their Senators offering advice on how to vote on Mr. Bernanke? i'm looking for some ideas to send to mine in the next day or two.

ClayTrainor
11-30-2009, 05:30 PM
It really doesn't matter to me. It's not like putting a new face into the chair is going to change anything for the better.

Lovecraftian4Paul
11-30-2009, 05:31 PM
I would say yes. We don't need them getting a new face in there to act like the massive failure was all Bernanke's fault and not the Fed system itself.

orafi
11-30-2009, 05:32 PM
I say no, I say that they should have a new face, so that when that new chairman fails (inevitable), people will not be tricked into thinking that any failure was solely due to Bernanke - it's the whole system that's stupid.

RevolutionSD
11-30-2009, 05:35 PM
dumb question, but the gov't doesn't control the fed anyway, it's the other way around. the president "appointing" a fed chief is just propaganda for the brainwashed masses.

Johnnybags
11-30-2009, 05:39 PM
not appointed again. Washington loves failure though so he is in.

Eric Arthur Blair
11-30-2009, 05:41 PM
The Chinese don't like him so if gets reelected they wont be happy campers.

Oyate
11-30-2009, 05:49 PM
I wouldn't make him chair but he's already a stool ;)

mrsat_98
12-01-2009, 05:46 PM
Might I suggest one very short term in the electric chair.

paulpwns
12-01-2009, 05:57 PM
Might I suggest one very short term in the electric chair.

Lol

It's like changing the captain of the Titanic. The ship is still going to sink.

malkusm
12-01-2009, 06:12 PM
It's irrelevant whether or not he gets reappointed. If he gets reappointed, he continues the country down the same boom/bust cycle, continues the easy credit, creates a bigger bubble than the one that burst, and everyone hates him. If he doesn't get reappointed, his predecessor continues the country down the same boom/bust cycle, continues the easy credit, creates a bigger bubble than the one that burst, and everyone hates him and forgets Bernanke (or perhaps even claims that Bernanke was a successful chair because he "led the recovery," no matter how short-lived).

Ron_Paul_Knows
12-02-2009, 11:02 PM
That CNN poll does not reflect reality very well. Rasmussen just did a real poll and only 21% support reappointment.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/business/econ_survey_toplines/november_2009/toplines_bernanke_november_29_30_2009 (http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/business/econ_survey_toplines/november_2009/toplines_bernanke_november_29_30_2009)