PDA

View Full Version : Does Austrian economics give you a better chance at a longer life?

swirling_vortex
11-28-2009, 11:28 PM
It seems that a lot of the old-school Austrian economists that I've read about lived for a very long time.

Ludwig von Mises - 92
Friedrich von Hayek - 92
Carl Menger - 81
Henry Hazlitt - 98

It's not true all the time though. For example:

Eugen von Böhm-Bawerk - 63
Murray Rothbard - 68

Obviously there are many factors such as lifestyle choice, personality type, stress, finances, etc., but hey, 4 out of 6 isn't too bad. Do you see a correlation or is it just coincidence?

BuddyRey
11-28-2009, 11:39 PM
Yeah, but statists can live to a ripe old age as well. I think David Rockefeller is nearly 100 now.

heavenlyboy34
11-28-2009, 11:39 PM
I dunno, but the pursuit of individual freedom seems to make life more meaningful imo :)

Austrian Econ Disciple
11-29-2009, 12:08 AM
You're forgetting Hanz F. Sennholz (85), (One could argue, as a forerunner prior to Menger) Frederic Bastiat (49), Israel Kirzner (79 still alive), Robert LeFevre (75), Lew Rockwell (65; still alive), Hans-Hermann Hoppe (60; still alive), and Walter Block (68; still alive). Then you have the next generation of Austrians like Thomas Woods, and hopefully me someday /blush (Yeah, right I'll never be in their league :p)

So, yeah, it seems as if the Austrians have also found the fountain of youth pill, considering they lived far longer than the average lifespans in their day. Lucky for us, and them! :)