PDA

View Full Version : Need some ideas writing a paper on Globalization

jbrace
11-26-2009, 07:13 PM
So I have to write a 8 page paper on Globalization that is due Monday. I'm trying to think of things to talk about, so far I've come up with

Military

Economy

Foreign policy

Global weather concerns

I want to talk about how it has negatively effected the U.S. of course, but I also want to talk about some positive aspects that can come from it. Any ideas or sources to information would be great!

Austrian Econ Disciple
11-26-2009, 08:26 PM
Just write an 8 page paper about Division of Labor, rising standard of living due to it, and then contrast that with those countries who practice protectionist polices; aka Mercantilism. In essence it'll be a paper about Free-Market Capitalism vs Mercantilism on Global Scales and how one increases standard of livings and the other diminishes it and increases the State.

Books? Read everything you can find on mises.org.

lynnf
11-26-2009, 09:20 PM
shipping American jobs overseas, and shipping foreigners into the country to take American jobs(H-1B visas and other visas), which puts a lot of Americans out of work and drops the economy lower because they are paid less.

lynn

Austrian Econ Disciple
11-26-2009, 09:52 PM
shipping American jobs overseas, and shipping foreigners into the country to take American jobs(H-1B visas and other visas), which puts a lot of Americans out of work and drops the economy lower because they are paid less.

lynn

Take a step back. It's like being at the 50 yard line and being the nose tackle, instead of being the mascot in the end zone who sees everything. I'm trying to get the man to see the actual problem that creates every symptom. It would be vastly larger than 8 pages, however, I think you would learn a lot in the process, though given the time restraint this is probably more nuanced than otherwise.

Why do you think Americans are out of work? Secondly, it doesn't really matter what we are paid if it costs 10$ to buy a loaf of bread, right? Whenever people talk about numerative wages, I want to scream. What you actually get paid means nothing. It's what you can purchase with what you get paid with. I bet if you knew that someone was making 250,000$ that you would think of them as somewhat affluent, but if the cost of living was 800,000$ would you think the same? See, no one connects this, they only go, see how much that person is making!

Short end of the stick: We wouldn't be in a process of osmosis of jobs if we actually saved capital, but because the Fed has interest rates at 0-1% it takes every incentive away to save. Why would you? Time preference dictates that no one would save, and rightly so. Why would you arbitrarily put money away that only loses value in time, when you could increase it's value by simply purchasing it (it being goods and services) now. You do not gain jobs this way.

The positive aspect is that if we correctly diagnose our ills we can cure ourselves. Will this happen? Who knows, but more people are starting to read Austrian Economics, so that's one good sign. Will we ever become Anarcho-Capitalistic? I hope so, but it would literally have to take a renaissance and I'm doing my part for the movement!

jbrace
11-27-2009, 03:07 PM
Just write an 8 page paper about Division of Labor, rising standard of living due to it, and then contrast that with those countries who practice protectionist polices; aka Mercantilism. In essence it'll be a paper about Free-Market Capitalism vs Mercantilism on Global Scales and how one increases standard of livings and the other diminishes it and increases the State.

Books? Read everything you can find on mises.org.

Thanks I'm gonna use that idea! I'm gonna search mises and if u can think of any articles in particular that would be good let me know!

Chieftain1776
11-27-2009, 03:15 PM
This is a good documentary:

Globalisation is Good - Johan Norberg on Globalization (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5633239795464137680&hl=en#)

ClayTrainor
11-27-2009, 03:21 PM
I'm not sure if this helps, but one point I make a lot that seems to be effective is this.

Globalization is already here. The internet is the real global economy. Anyone with access to the internet, can pretty much engage in the Global economy, and start communicating, learning from and collaborating with businesses and customers all over the world. We don't need politicians government, or military to bring us globalization.

Chieftain1776
11-27-2009, 04:28 PM
Thanks I'm gonna use that idea! I'm gonna search mises and if u can think of any articles in particular that would be good let me know!

I rediscovered this excellent essay randomly a few weeks ago. "The Myth of Political Leadership (http://mises.org/daily/1498)"

Deborah K
11-27-2009, 04:38 PM
So I have to write a 8 page paper on Globalization that is due Monday. I'm trying to think of things to talk about, so far I've come up with

Military

Economy

Foreign policy

Global weather concerns

I want to talk about how it has negatively effected the U.S. of course, but I also want to talk about some positive aspects that can come from it. Any ideas or sources to information would be great!

Does this include global governance? Because if it does, tptb would have us believe that a one world government and no borders will end all wars. How's that for a positive aspect?

jbrace
11-27-2009, 05:55 PM
I rediscovered this excellent essay randomly a few weeks ago. "The Myth of Political Leadership (http://mises.org/daily/1498)"

great essay thanks alot!