PDA

View Full Version : Lou Dobbs Now Supports Amnesty in order to get Latino votes

bobbyw24
11-25-2009, 09:08 AM
Wall Street Journal 11/24/2009

Dobbs Reaches Out to Latinos, With Politics in Mind
By PETER WALLSTEN

Former CNN anchor Lou Dobbs, pondering a future in politics, is trying to wipe away his image as an enemy of Latino immigrants by positioning himself as a champion of that fast-growing ethnic bloc.

Mr. Dobbs, who left the network last week, has said in recent days that he is considering a third-party run for a New Jersey Senate seat in 2012, or possibly for president. Polls show voters unhappy with both parties, and strategists believe Mr. Dobbs could tap populist anger over economy issues just as Ross Perot did in the 1990s.

First, though, Mr. Dobbs is working to repair what a spokesman conceded is a glaring flaw: His reputation for antipathy toward Latino immigrants. In a little-noticed interview Friday, Mr. Dobbs told Spanish-language network Telemundo he now supports a plan to legalize millions of undocumented workers, a stance he long lambasted as an unfair “amnesty.”

“Whatever you have thought of me in the past, I can tell you right now that I am one of your greatest friends and I mean for us to work together,” he said in a live interview with Telemundo’s Maria Celeste. “I hope that will begin with Maria and me and Telemundo and other media organizations and others in this national debate that we should turn into a solution rather than a continuing debate and factional contest.”

Mr. Dobbs twice mentioned a possible legalization plan for the estimated 12 million illegal immigrants in the U.S., saying at one point that “we need the ability to legalize illegal immigrants under certain conditions.”

Mr. Dobbs couldn’t be reached Tuesday. Spokesman Bob Dilenschneider said Mr. Dobbs draws a distinction between illegal immigrants who have committed crimes since arriving in the U.S. and those who are “living upright, positive and constructive lives” who should be “integrated” into society. He said Mr. Dobbs recognizes the political importance of Latinos and is “smoothing the water and clearing the air.”

After a career as a broadcaster and Internet entrepreneur, Mr. Dobbs turned himself into a populist firebrand, campaigning against labor outsourcing, free trade and immigration.

Mr. Dobbs left CNN saying he wanted to become an advocate. Immigration advocates, including Ms. Celeste, had long called for his ouster; critics in particular cite a 2007 report on his show that cited erroneous data suggesting illegal immigrants were tied to a spike in leprosy cases in the U.S. Mr. Dobbs told Ms. Celeste the report was a mistake, and blamed a reporter ad-libbing on the air.

Frank Sharry, who heads America’s Voice, a group that advocates for legalizing undocumented immigrants, said Mr. Dobbs’s conversion isn’t credible, given his history of opposing efforts to liberalize immigration policies.

Jim Gilchrist, founder of the Minuteman Project, which seeks strict border enforcement and opposes legalization, said he admired Mr. Dobbs and will “watch him for several months before drawing a conclusion.”

Political strategists, however, aren’t dismissing the potential power of a Dobbs run. Ed Rollins, a Republican consultant who advised Mr. Perot, said Mr. Dobbs has two big factors in his favor: name recognition and a turbulent economic time that can help a populist, third-party figure.

During his Telemundo appearance, Mr. Dobbs was both defensive and conciliatory as Ms. Celeste ticked off what she said were the Latino community’s grievances about Mr. Dobbs. “Many Hispanics consider you to be the No. 1 enemy of Latinos,” she told him. “Do you think that the community is somehow misjudging you?”

“Oh, not somehow. Definitively, absolutely,” Mr. Dobbs responded. “By the way, I don’t believe for a moment that the Latino, Hispanic community in the United States believes that of me at all. It has been the efforts of the far left to characterize me in their propaganda as such.”

Mr. Dobbs’s relationship with Latinos will be crucial if he chooses to run against Sen. Robert Menendez (D., N.J.), the Senate’s lone Hispanic. In response to the possibility, Menendez spokesman Afshin Mohamadi said: “I’m sure that he would relish eventually having an opponent from so far out of the mainstream who has never delivered a thing to the hard-working people of New Jersey.” —T. W. Farnam and Nomaan Merchant contributed to this article.

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2009/11/24/lou-dobbs-that-was-then-this-is-now

sofia
11-25-2009, 09:22 AM
could this be the stablishment's move to split the anti-Obama vote on 2012?

Cowlesy
11-25-2009, 09:24 AM
Lou Dobbs has now jumped the shark.

Grimnir Wotansvolk
11-25-2009, 09:26 AM
lol

MelissaWV
11-25-2009, 09:38 AM
Oh is THAT why I woke up this morning with a strange urge to vote for Lou Dobbs?

paulitics
11-25-2009, 09:48 AM
Haha.

Romulus
11-25-2009, 09:51 AM
could this be the stablishment's move to split the anti-Obama vote on 2012?

yes.. muddy the waters with Palin, Dobbs etc against Ron Paul

GunnyFreedom
11-25-2009, 10:11 AM
Lou Dobbs has now jumped the shark.

ROFL -- OK I actually LOL'ed on this one. :D

Oyate
11-25-2009, 10:52 AM
Dang. That didn't take long.

PreDeadMan
11-25-2009, 10:56 AM
lol selling out his beliefs if he's pursuing a political career in the senate he's just saying what's expected to get elected not a man of principle i see hm...

thrillhouse
11-25-2009, 11:07 AM
That's weird, it sounded like he was going to run for senate here in NJ against menendez, and had republican establishment backing.

angelatc
11-25-2009, 11:42 AM
Wow. Most politicians wait to abandon their base until after they're elected.

Mini-Me
11-25-2009, 11:45 AM
HAHAHAHH, WTFROFLMAYONAISSEBBQSAUCE?!? Lou Dobbs has pretty much built his career out of the single issue of being vehemently anti-illegal-immigration! Yeah, if this is true, he definitely jumped the shark, and it indicates about how principled he is all around. LOL...hahah...hehe...ho...

Naraku
11-25-2009, 12:50 PM
I honestly don't have a problem with amnesty so long as it only applies to immigration and related non-harmful offenses. Still, I do have a problem with people changing their political views to meet up to what is considered appropriate in the establishment.

bobbyw24
11-25-2009, 12:58 PM
Perhaps thinking of a future political career, former CNN anchor Lou Dobbs softened his harsh anti-illegal immigrant rhetoric during an interview Tuesday, telling the viewers of the Spanish-speaking network Telemundo that “I am one of your greatest friends.”

“I want to engage in a meaningful and constructive dialogue and work with those who will work toward real solutions,” said Dobbs, who once falsely accused illegal immigrants of carrying leprosy into the United States.

“I think we need to honestly come together. … and make some real progress toward an understanding a compromise for those who are in this country illegally,” he said. “What isn't working is a penalty to those who are in this country illegally for whom we can both be building a bridge to the future in which there is legalization and at the same time constructing an environment in which everyone is clear and unequivocal about the need for border security and a regulated flow of immigration.”

POLITICO reported Tuesday that Dobbs is mulling a run for the White House in 2012, and Dobbs confirmed on former Tennessee Republican Sen. Fred Thompson’s show Monday that he might run.

Later in the interview, Dobbs made an impassioned plea to the Hispanic community, urging them to reconsider their previous views on him.

“Whatever you have thought of me in the past,” he said, “I can tell you right now that I am one of your greatest friends, and I mean for us to work together.”

“I hope that will begin with Maria and me and Telemundo and other media organizations and others in this national debate that we should turn into a solution rather than a continuing debate and factional contest,” Dobbs added.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1109/29908.html

Dieseler
11-25-2009, 01:09 PM
Is this real?

bobbyw24
11-25-2009, 01:11 PM
He is trying to court New Jersey's growing Latino population when he runs for Senate.

Talk about "Change."

GunnyFreedom
11-25-2009, 01:21 PM
ALIPAC is freaking out over this right now. My reply? Sorry, but while tragic, this was really not unexpected. You should put your faith in people with actual integrity, like Ron Paul.

bobbyw24
11-25-2009, 01:23 PM
ALIPAC is freaking out over this right now. My reply? Sorry, but while tragic, this was really not unexpected. You should put your faith in people with actual integrity, like Ron Paul.

What is ALIPAC?

GunnyFreedom
11-25-2009, 01:56 PM
What is ALIPAC?

"Americans for Legal Immigration PAC" http://www.alipac.us/ seem to be strongly in favor of legal immigration while strongly opposed to the illegal sort. Dobbs was some kind of mythical hero for them until today.

emazur
11-25-2009, 01:59 PM
What is ALIPAC?

Americans for Legal Immigration PAC

edit: Gunny beat me to it

Romulus
11-25-2009, 03:02 PM
I had thought Dobbs was the real deal too.... power corrupts pretty quick it seems. No wonder so many cling to what few liberty candidates we have.

bobbyw24
11-25-2009, 03:05 PM
http://www.alipac.us/ftopict-179333.html

pahs1994
11-25-2009, 03:11 PM
Et tu Lou Dobbs? does anyone stand for what they belive in or are they all just jellyfish?

jack555
11-25-2009, 05:07 PM
Keep in mind

A) he may just be doing this to get elected and then sucker punch them in the face.

or

B) he may know amnesty is coming and is useless to try and STOP but he might be able too LESSEN it

or

C) He is a giant douche.

Austrian Econ Disciple
11-25-2009, 05:09 PM
Et tu Lou Dobbs? does anyone stand for what they belive in or are they all just jellyfish?

Only us radicals cling to these things called principles, and why only radicals enact reformation and revolutions and why the radical notion of liberty will eventually win and Tyranny will be beat to a pulp.

OT: The debate on immigration is misunderstood and only Ron Paul understands the ramifications. If we have a welfare/warfare State you have to have immigration control (Which doesn't really stop, what it's trying to stop....and costs a fortune - vis a vis impossible). If you do not have a welfare/warfare State then you do not have to have immigration controls.

Michigan11
11-25-2009, 05:20 PM
Only us radicals cling to these things called principles, and why only radicals enact reformation and revolutions and why the radical notion of liberty will eventually win and Tyranny will be beat to a pulp.

OT: The debate on immigration is misunderstood and only Ron Paul understands the ramifications. If we have a welfare/warfare State you have to have immigration control (Which doesn't really stop, what it's trying to stop....and costs a fortune - vis a vis impossible). If you do not have a welfare/warfare State then you do not have to have immigration controls.

Good post. I agree completely.

I would also add I recently recieved one of those silly draft Lou Dobbs emails ... unbelievable how people trust these phonies on tv anymore. Lou Dobbs was just simply tapping into the distrust of government, in exchange for ratings, as Beck and others are doing.

catdd
11-25-2009, 05:28 PM
He could just be playing them for votes just to get elected then pull the old switcheroo on them.
I doubt very seriously that he has changed his position after the way he's been treated.

GunnyFreedom
11-25-2009, 07:00 PM
He could just be playing them for votes just to get elected then pull the old switcheroo on them.
I doubt very seriously that he has changed his position after the way he's been treated.

Even if true, I'm not sure that's any better. After all I agree 100% with AED's analysis, so Dobbs's original position is not exactly all that great in the first place. And then to pander from one flawed position into an even more horribly flawed lie?

At one point I thought he was the only actual M$M 'establishment' character to give RP any real, fair attention, and so I gave him at least some measure of respect (and the benefit of the doubt) even though I thought he was a bit off. But WTF? yeah, even if what you describe is the case, I really don't think that's any better to be honest.

And no, I don't think what Rand did was even remotely similar, even though I am sure several here will see it that way. Rand said what he believed to be the true, best policy, but specifically phrased in a way that his audience would "get" even if many on RPF's didn't. Granted, much of the detail on Rand's position on Gitmo was left to the hearer's interpretation, which is entirely different than 1) changing his position to pander for votes, or 2) lying about his position to pander for votes.

Either of those two cases are horrible, and neither of them describe Rand on Gitmo.

catdd
11-25-2009, 07:20 PM
Well something is screwy that's for sure. He's not going to forgive all those threatening phone calls and someone taking a shot at his wife.

GunnyFreedom
11-25-2009, 08:16 PM
Well something is screwy that's for sure. He's not going to forgive all those threatening phone calls and someone taking a shot at his wife.

maybe he figured it was a right-wing ultra nationalist false flag op, and this is supposed to be blowback? :D haha

catdd
11-25-2009, 08:23 PM
Or maybe he stopped by Trinity Baptist Church and Rev Wright showed him the error of his ways.

Chirac's Poodle
11-26-2009, 01:26 AM
I lost all respect for the corporate media's summation of a person's position when in 2008 I heard the mantra repeated, "Ron Paul is a racist, Ron Paul is a racist." A mantra that was oft repeated by my lawyer colleagues whether neocon or liberal--"Ron Paul is a racist, Ron Paul is a racist." They looked at me as an idiot for not knowing that Ron Paul was Klu Klux Klan, even though I came to support him after reading about economics for ten years. It was an eye opener for me as to the level of brainwashing by the corporate media and the total acceptance of anything said on TV by the so-called highly educated professional Mensa member with a six figure income.

So what were the exact words coming out of Lou Dobbs' mouth before he "flip-flopped" and after it?

dgr
11-26-2009, 02:27 AM
You should watch the u tube video of the broadcast. And then read the comment by the latino viewers, they are even harsher towards illegals than anything on alipac or in the press here.
next week alipa is going to discuss this in dept. and I guess they have taken down the Lou for president link.
Last year four GOP presidential candidates did a broadcast on Telemundos version of Meet the Press and Roomney was the only one who had a strong position and even took them to task on the refusal to speake English