PDA

View Full Version : Home School Materials inspected by USPS.

Pants
11-24-2009, 04:54 PM
My wife ordered some home school materials. The box was ripped open and inspected by the local post office. I believe the shipper sent the package using Media Mail. Is it common for the post office to inspect these packages? or was this company (which is non profit) likely singled out? (Since Home Schooling is deemed Poison by our Government.)

No we aren't Home Schooling yet.. Considering it.. As parents we find the best way to help our children is to get our hands on home school text books, workbooks, and study programs..

This being a small town.. I bet now half the town already knows about it.

I was just curious if anyone else has home school materials inspected by USPS???

Reason
11-24-2009, 04:57 PM
ask the USPS?

olehounddog
11-24-2009, 05:00 PM
Did it have a label saying it was inspected? I had a package opened by immigration and they put a sticker on it.

jake
11-24-2009, 05:03 PM
it is VERY unusual for domestic parcels to be opened.. very unusual indeed.

MsDoodahs
11-24-2009, 05:03 PM
Was the package STICKERED by the local post office to confirm that they are the ones that opened it?

I called a close friend who works for the USPS and has for twenty plus years - she has NEVER heard of anything like this.

MelissaWV
11-24-2009, 05:09 PM
All mail that arrives noticably ripped or damaged should have a tag. If it was inspected, it should definitely have a tag/notice. If it was damaged (let's say it was chewed up by a processing machine, etc.) there's even a cute little form that should have been included saying that the USPS tries its darnedest to get things to you in mint condition but sometimes fails.

Regardless, if there's no tag/notice at all, you should report your concern to the Post Office. It could have been someone ELSE tampering with your stuff, and THAT is a problem.

Dieseler
11-24-2009, 05:11 PM
The mail man used to read all of my magazines before I did.
Never got a tag.

Romulus
11-24-2009, 05:15 PM
report it for sure if theres no label.. I'm sure they'll get to the bottom of it.. ha yea right

tangent4ronpaul
11-24-2009, 05:15 PM
All mail that arrives noticably ripped or damaged should have a tag. If it was inspected, it should definitely have a tag/notice. If it was damaged (let's say it was chewed up by a processing machine, etc.) there's even a cute little form that should have been included saying that the USPS tries its darnedest to get things to you in mint condition but sometimes fails.

Regardless, if there's no tag/notice at all, you should report your concern to the Post Office. It could have been someone ELSE tampering with your stuff, and THAT is a problem.

Best answer! I was going to write something like this.

One question, though... did your package cross an international border - say Canada to the US?

-t

Dieseler
11-24-2009, 05:17 PM
Bastard kills all of the grass around the mailbox to whether it needs it or not.

Oyate
11-24-2009, 05:21 PM

This is very good advice. Also a good opportunity to document the event. So, perhaps they have a complaint form you can fill out and get a copy of?

aravoth
11-24-2009, 05:24 PM
Use FEDEX, the government sucks at everything, even mail.

angelatc
11-24-2009, 05:27 PM
When I ship Media Mail, I have a box that pops up on my screen, asking me to agree to allow the post office to check if they want to. But yeah, I'd think it should have a tag.

I knew an eBay seller who used to take his packages to the post office and seal them up only after the clerk peeked inside because that happened to him repeatedly.

They're running seriously in the red. Seems logical they'd try to blame their customers.

angelatc
11-24-2009, 05:32 PM
The mail man used to read all of my magazines before I did.
Never got a tag.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,553623,00.html - Now they watch movies.

Danke
11-24-2009, 05:40 PM
"Media Mail" is probably cheaper postage like sending books. So maybe they do spot checks to make sure that's what it is.

Pants
11-24-2009, 05:48 PM
Yes.. There was a sticker on the side of the box from the USPS.. and a letter inside the box that it was randomly inspected and met the criteria for Media Mail service. The letter from USPS which was inside the box was postmarked from my local post office with the date.. Box didn't appear damaged..

I get a lot of of my mail opened.. Check stubs.. 401K statements.. Almost everything my wife gets from her employer (UPS) is almost always opened.. I am afraid if I complain then the 2 employees over there will make life hard for me.. If you know what I mean.. :)

Bastard kills all of the grass around the mailbox to whether it needs it or not.

LibForestPaul
11-24-2009, 06:55 PM
Can one decline ALL mail from USPS? i.e. Return to sender, no mailbox, etc...???

Dieseler
11-24-2009, 07:01 PM
They will still come to the door for certified mail and packages, just don't answer the door.
Well, answer the door for packages if you ordered something I guess.
lol.

JeNNiF00F00
11-24-2009, 07:03 PM
Just had an incident with them yesterday. I was shipping some canned items to a friend, and said said there were perishables etc. Then they asked me what it was, so I said canned food. Then, the lady asked me more specifically to what type of food I kid you not. When I asked "excuse me?" she then threatened me with a "you don't want the CIA to show up at your home over this now do you?". Yeah....never will use post office for shipping again.