View Full Version : $100,000 in stimulus to monitor handwashing

jmdrake
11-24-2009, 08:35 AM
http://jobs.aol.com/articles/2009/11/05/handwashing-in-hospitals/

Md. To Watch Handwashing in Hospitals

Filed under: Employment TrendsPrint Article

Posted Nov 5th 2009 1:01PM

AP

healthcareCLARKSVILLE, Md. - Be sure to wash up, Maryland doctors and nurses. You're being watched.

State officials said Tuesday they're creating teams of staff members at hospitals around the state to secretly monitor their colleagues' hand-washing habits as part of a first-of-its-kind program. The monitors will contribute to a systemwide report on hand-washing, using $100,000 in federal stimulus money.

Lt. Gov. Anthony Brown said individuals who are lax on scrubbing up won't be penalized. Rather, the idea is to gather information about which hospital staffs need to do a better job and raise awareness about the importance of keeping hands clean while dealing with patients

"This certainly is not an effort to do a gotcha," Brown said. "We're better off with providers actually using proper hand hygiene than calling out those that don't, so a big component of this in every hospital will be that continual education and awareness."

Teams will be formed at 45 of the state's 47 hospitals to monitor their colleagues after they leave a patient. The monitors will be given time separate from their regular duties to do the research, but they won't let the doctors and nurses know when they're being watched.

The information being gathered starting in January will be compiled into statistics on hand-washing across the hospital system and allow for comparison between the facilities. The Maryland Patient Safety Center, which works with hospitals and health care providers to improve patient safety, will implement the program.

The program is the first time a state has used direct observation to compile hand-washing data on practitioners across hospitals statewide to compare practices, said Nicole Stallings, director of the Maryland Health Quality and Cost Council. No other state has used stimulus money for a hand-washing study, either, she said.

Infections caught at hospitals and other health care facilities are among the leading causes of preventable death in the United States, accounting for an estimated 1.7 million infections and 99,000 associated deaths in 2002, according to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Such infections increase health care costs around the country by an estimated $30 billion each year.

"Unlike the rest of the health care puzzle, the pieces of which we continuously search for, we can fight these infections easily and without great costs," said Brown, who chairs the state's Health Quality and Cost Council.

A membership organization for health care professionals in Maryland said it supports the program, especially because it's being implemented with input from all sides of the discussion.

"If it was being mandated without discussion then that would be a different story, but that is clearly not the case here," said Gene Ransom, executive director of MedChi, the state's medical society.

Hospitals in Maryland and other states don't have good data on hand hygiene practices, and the idea behind the initiative is to create a foundation for comparison, said Carmela Coyle, president of the Maryland Hospital Association.

"Until you collect the data, you don't know how you're doing and we can't improve," Coyle said.

Coyle also said patients should demand good hygiene from doctors and nurses.

"If you don't see your caregiver using hand hygiene protocols, ask, and I would also suggest if you do see them using appropriate hand hygiene protocols, thank them," Coyle said.

Dr. Jeff Sternlicht, chairman of emergency medicine at Greater Baltimore Medical Center in Towson, said any incentive to increase awareness about the benefits of regular hand-washing is positive.

"I just think it's a relatively low-cost, high-yield method of preventing the spread of illness within health care and within communities as well," Sternlicht said.

The $100,000 in federal stimulus money will come from $1.2 million the state received through the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to address infections caught at health care facilities.

MelissaWV
11-24-2009, 08:45 AM
The results will be fairly moot, because if I saw some creepy person always standing near/at the sinks, paying attention to my hand-washing, I'd probably bypass that sink, and just wash up elsewhere. Seriously. What the hell. I've had to do it before at work, and simply washed up at the sink in the cafeteria instead (all the doors between bathroom and cafeteria are the sort you can lean on to push open either way). I don't touch anything on the way, I just get there, do the wrist-nudge to get the tap going, use the forearm to pump the soap, and voila... clean hands and no weird lady watching me wash up.

This costs $100,000 why? Why not just monitor it by video, motion sensor, soap use, or whatever else? It's stuff like this that makes me wish that we could gather everyone that's struggling to pay the bills, eat, etc., into one place, and then have our Representatives go up to the mic one at a time.

"We can't tax you less/give you money... because... we have to observe hand-washing."

"Oh, well that's cool. I mean, we have to make sure people aren't touching patients with dirty hands."

"No no, we're not stopping anyone who doesn't wash they're hands... we're just observing."

"So if you see a nurse leave the stall and she doesn't wash her hands, you just do a little slash on a piece of paper?"

"Well, that hospital is obviously doing a bad job of making people aware they need to wash their hands."

"So you're basically saying you're paying out money to get people to stare at other people in bathrooms."

"Yes, pretty much."

"How much money?"

"$100,000."

"Oh. And this is why I have to pay taxes?"

"Well that, and the war, and also free healthcare."

"Administered by the people who aren't washing their hands, right?"

"Well, yes."

haaaylee
11-24-2009, 01:17 PM
why use monitors when you can CREATE JOBS instead! see, the stimulus money really is working . . .

tangent4ronpaul
11-24-2009, 01:30 PM
Hidden camera's in bathrooms - I was wondering when they would get around to that. Wonder if it has the dual justification of "fighting terrorism" :rolleyes:

-t

armstrong
11-24-2009, 01:44 PM
next thing you know we will be monitoring teeth brushing

BlackTerrel
11-24-2009, 03:09 PM
I'm so surprised we're broke...

specsaregood
11-24-2009, 03:25 PM
Teams will be formed at 45 of the state's 47 hospitals to monitor their colleagues after they leave a patient.

I wonder which hospitals are the lucky two without the monitors.