PDA

View Full Version : Woman charged in Fort Hood-related hate crime

BlackTerrel
11-23-2009, 09:31 PM
I posted before about the overblown fear of backlash. Despite all the media warning and Obama speaking about it the vast majority of Americans don't lash out on innocent people because of the act of others in their group. And when it does happen the reaction is swift and harsh (maybe even a little too harsh).

http://www.csmonitor.com/2009/1120/p02s24-usgn.html

Atlanta - In the days after the Ft. Hood shooting, mosques around the country bolstered their security in anticipation of a backlash from Americans angry about a Muslim man alleged to have killed American soldiers on their own turf.

Since then, only one alleged hate crime against Muslims has been directly tied to the Fort Hood rampage.

Two days after the rampage by an alleged lone wolf jihadist killed 13 in Texas, a Tinley Park, Ill., woman grumbled about the massacre and tugged the headscarf of a US-born Muslim woman, Amal Abusumayah, standing in line at a local grocery store.

Reaction was swift and, as prosecutors announced this week, serious: The alleged scarf-puller, Valerie Kenney, is charged with a hate crime, and she could face three years in prison and a $25,000 fine if convicted. ...

Dieseler
11-23-2009, 09:49 PM
It's scary as Hell being a White these days.
I'm assuming that (hate) criminal was White, I do not know for sure.

silverhandorder
11-23-2009, 09:55 PM
Holy fuck political correctness on steroids.

Reason
11-23-2009, 11:22 PM
"tugged the headscarf"

mmhmm...

we have no way of passing judgment on this without a video recording of the incident imo

Danke
11-23-2009, 11:41 PM
"tugged the headscarf"

mmhmm...

we have no way of passing judgment on this without a video recording of the incident imo

Article from CAIR:

http://www.cairchicago.org/2009/11/13/tinley-woman-assaulted-at-grocery-store/

So do you think the potential punishment fits the crime?

Liberty Star
11-23-2009, 11:57 PM
BT, are you disappointed there have been no mobs?

It's just temporary Iraq war reaction and Obama election mania, appeasement/apology dynamic, in 3-4 decades people would forget about Iraq and election trends and complexion of DC would go back to normal, hopefully. But by then we could be all be facing "When in America, Spaeak Spanish" fever.

BlackTerrel
11-24-2009, 01:11 AM
BT, are you disappointed there have been no mobs?

How could you possibly get that from what I said?

I am not at all surprised that Americans didn't react with violence to Ft. Hood (why would they?) I'm just a bit annoyed the media and politicians didn't give us that kind of credit.

Every news program was like "ok, everyone just chill out, no one beat up random Muslims just for fun now" as if that was ever going to happen. Despite our history America is a quite tolerant society.

BlackTerrel
11-24-2009, 01:14 AM

How so?

I'm not saying the punishment fits (it doesn't) but I don't see why it would cause you to live in fear. If the law right now told me that if I punched a white guy in his face just because of his race then I would be given the chair - well I'd say it was an unfair rule and I'd like to appeal it - but at the same time I wouldn't be in fear because I have no desire to just punch a white dude in the face because of his race.

I know that's a run on sentence.

KCIndy
11-24-2009, 01:53 AM
Wow...

Tug on a headscarf, do three years if convicted.

Here's the video of the news report:

http://www.wgntv.com/news/wgntv-woman-charged-hate-crime-nov19,0,6703351.story

Dieseler
11-24-2009, 01:54 AM
I guess it's a manner of speaking BT, I'm not really scared so much as I am wary. It wouldn't be hard at all to be goaded into a situation like this and I think this new Hate crime law is going to be exploited more and more as soon as the protected races realize how much power they wield because of it.

It's absolutely not fair, this lady pulls a headscarf in a argument and is taken down for hate while this Black professor punches a white lady during an argument over race and its no biggie.
Check it out man.
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/prof_busted_in_columbia_gal_punch_JmsXQ3NzaAt8uG6u UySGTN

This is absolutely not right and when the bias is exposed it's going to cause some serious problems.
How is what LIONEL McINTYRE did any less of a hate crime than what Valerie Kenney did?

Prof busted in Columbia gal 'punch'

A prominent Columbia architecture professor punched a female university employee in the face at a Harlem bar during a heated argument about race relations, cops said yesterday.

Police busted Lionel McIntyre, 59, for assault yesterday after his bruised victim, Camille Davis, filed charges.

McIntyre and Davis, who works as a production manager in the school's theater department, are both regulars at Toast, a popular university bar on Broadway and 125th Street, sources said.

The professor, who is black, had been engaged in a fiery discussion about "white privilege" with Davis, who is white, and another male regular, who is also white, Friday night at 10:30 when fists started flying, patrons said.

"Unfortunate event."

McIntyre, who is known as "Mac" at the bar, shoved Davis, and when the other patron and a bar employee tried to break it up, the prof slugged Davis in the face, witnesses said.

"The punch was so loud, the kitchen workers in the back heard it over all the noise," bar back Richie Velez, 28, told The Post. "I was on my way over when he punched Camille and she fell on top of me."

The other patron involved in the dispute said McIntyre then took a swing at him after he yelled, "You don't hit a woman!"

"He knocked the glasses right off my face," said the man, who would only give his first name as "Shannon." "The punch came out of nowhere. Mac was talking to us about white privilege and what I was doing about it -- apparently I wasn't doing enough."

McIntyre had squabbled with Davis several weeks earlier over issues involving race, witnesses said. As soon as the professor threw the punch Friday, server Rob Dalton and another employee tossed him out.

"It was a real sucker punch," Dalton said. "Camille's a great lady, always nice to everybody, and doesn't deserve anything like this."

Davis was spotted wearing sunglasses yesterday to conceal the black eye. Reached at her Columbia office, she declined to comment on the alleged attack.

McIntyre was released without bail at his arraignment last night.

"It was a very unfortunate event," he said afterwards. "I didn't mean for it to explode the way it did."

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/prof_busted_in_columbia_gal_punch_JmsXQ3NzaAt8uG6u UySGTN#ixzz0XlHKkTUv

BlackTerrel
11-24-2009, 04:52 AM
I guess it's a manner of speaking BT, I'm not really scared so much as I am wary. It wouldn't be hard at all to be goaded into a situation like this and I think this new Hate crime law is going to be exploited more and more as soon as the protected races realize how much power they wield because of it.

It's absolutely not fair, this lady pulls a headscarf in a argument and is taken down for hate while this Black professor punches a white lady during an argument over race and its no biggie.
Check it out man.

Wow. I will say punching a woman deserves a far stiffer penalty than what it seems he received.

I have to admit when the law first passed I didn't agree with it but didn't necessarily think about it too much as I was more thinking about someone just randomly assaulting someone for no reason other than race/religion/etc... But the more I think about it the more I can see it being an issue.

That said, I don't think we can take a look at these two incidents in isolation. I am sure there are incidents of white people punching black people with few consequences as well.

Not to get too off topic - my original point was not so much on the hate crime as about the non-existant backlash that Obama and the media were predicting.

catdd
11-24-2009, 08:37 AM
It's perfectly fine to bomb them but never, never, NEVER pull their head scarves.

And remember the wise old saying: "Do as we say and not as we do."

MelissaWV
11-24-2009, 08:39 AM
lol that guy's name was "Shannon"

jmdrake
11-24-2009, 08:59 AM
Article from CAIR:

http://www.cairchicago.org/2009/11/13/tinley-woman-assaulted-at-grocery-store/

So do you think the potential punishment fits the crime?

No. But it was a crime even without the "hate" element.

Legal definition of assault:

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/assault

At Common Law, an intentional act by one person that creates an apprehension in another of an imminent harmful or offensive contact.

An assault is carried out by a threat of bodily harm coupled with an apparent, present ability to cause the harm. It is both a crime and a tort and, therefore, may result in either criminal or civil liability. Generally, the common law definition is the same in criminal and Tort Law. There is, however, an additional Criminal Law category of assault consisting of an attempted but unsuccessful Battery.

Statutory definitions of assault in the various jurisdictions throughout the United States are not substantially different from the common-law definition.

Legal definition of battery:

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Battery
At common law, an intentional unpermitted act causing harmful or offensive contact with the "person" of another.

Battery is concerned with the right to have one's body left alone by others.

Battery is both a tort and a crime. Its essential element, harmful or offensive contact, is the same in both areas of the law. The main distinction between the two categories lies in the penalty imposed. A defendant sued for a tort is civilly liable to the plaintiff for damages. The punishment for criminal battery is a fine, imprisonment, or both. Usually battery is prosecuted as a crime only in cases involving serious harm to the victim.

Prosecuting this woman is rather ridiculous because there was no serious harm. But technically a prosecution could happen without a "hate crime" element. I would suspect it would be hard to convince a jury to actually convict this woman and I sure wouldn't want to be the prosecutor to bring the case. On the other had she'd probably lose a civil suit. But the other side should be awarded nominal damages.

Regards,

John M. Drake

jmdrake
11-24-2009, 09:02 AM
It's perfectly fine to bomb them but never, never, NEVER pull their head scarves.

And remember the wise old saying: "Do as we say and not as we do."

As the saying goes. Kill one person it's a tragedy. Kill 1,000 it's a statistic. Nobody was killed in this story, but my point is that people treat stories differently when it's possible to put a face on the victim.

catdd
11-24-2009, 09:09 AM
Yeah, well they just want to make an example out of her in a feigned attempt to prove that their goodness and to keep hostilities to a minimum.
She'll publicly apologize and get a year probation.

Dieseler
11-24-2009, 01:43 PM
Well, the intent and effect of the Law is perfectly clear in my opinion and the rest of you can think what you want.
I will avoid any discussion with any minority in public like the plague because I can not afford to have a disagreement with them that might become heated and land me in prison causing my family to fall destitute for the fine.

By intent of the law, I feel that the intent is to quiet down the free speech of the majority and that intent will be seen to be more and more effective as more and more people do just that and get quiet.

By the effect of the law I mean, well I think it should be obvious that these laws will eventually discourage whites from having any contact with minorities as more and more cases of abuse begin to show up.
That would not be the intended effect however but it will be the effect none the less.
This could also cause whites to avoid jobs that would require them to administrate over ... You know who for fear of being accused of.... You know what by... You know who.
This will lead to Greater DIVERSITY.
Which IS one of the intended consequences.
Keep in mind that this trend will only last until minorities meet equal status with the majority in population. At that point the preferred status benefits of such gifts such as affirmative action will cease to exist and the diversity campaign will come to an end leaving some people scratching their heads and feeling betrayed.
Carry on I say.
I could care fucking less any more.
I'm tired of being screwed for being in the majority.

Don't make me bump this shit.
So nobody is going too challenge me on what I typed above?