PDA

View Full Version : Fiorina: better...because I am a woman

Brian4Liberty
11-23-2009, 01:14 PM
Carly on Sotomayor:

"But based upon what I know, I think my conclusion is I would have voted for her. She seemed qualified from everything I could read."

Of course she would have confirmed Sotomayor. She would be a carbon copy of Lyndsey Graham. Carly Fiorina: A wise gringa for Senate? :rolleyes:

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/69083-fiorina-im-a-better-candidate-than-devore-because-i-am-a-woman

Fiorina: I'm a better candidate than DeVore because I am a woman
By Jordan Fabian - 11/23/09 09:42 AM ET

Former Hewlitt-Packard CEO Carly Fiorina (R) on Monday said that she is the best candidate to defeat Sen. Barbara Boxer (D-Calif.) because she is a woman.

Asked why she is a better candidate than her Republican primary opponent Assemblyman Chuck DeVore (R-Calif.), Fiorina said that a woman stands a better chance of defeating Boxer.

"With all due respect and deep affection for white men, I am married to one," Fiorina said at a breakfast at Americans for Tax Reform. "But [Barbara Boxer] knows how to beat them in California, she has done it over and over and over again."

Of DeVore, the former economic adviser to Sen. John McCain's (R-Ariz.) presidential campaign said "he's the opponent Barbara Boxer hopes she faces."

Fiorina also said she has a better chance of defeating Boxer (D-Calif.) in next year's general election because she is not a "career politician."

Asked if she would support President Barack Obama's judicial nominees as a senator and if she would have voted for now-Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor, Fiorina said she was not very familiar with her record because she was being for breast cancer, but added that she would have supported her nomination.

"Honestly I did not study in great detail Sotomayor's record because I was battling breast cancer at the time," she said. "But based upon what I know, I think my conclusion is I would have voted for her. She seemed qualified from everything I could read. As I said, I think elections have consequences. That's why elections matter."

A majority of Republican senators opposed Sotomayor's confirmation in August, saying her views were outside the mainstream and that she may legislate from the bench. A group of nine GOP senatots voted for her: George Voinovich (Ohio), Susan Collins (Maine), Olympia Snowe (Maine), Judd Gregg (N.H.), Richard Lugar (Ind.), Kit Bond (Mo.), then-Sen. Mel Martinez (Fla.), Lindsey Graham (S.C.) and Lamar Alexander (Tenn.)

But throughout her speech, Fiorina stressed that she was just as conservative as her primary opponent DeVore, who is seeking to outflank her on the right. She said she opposed abortion rights and harped on her anti-tax and spending views.

"I am pro-life, I believe that life begins at conception, that is not a change despite what Chuck DeVore has led you to believe," she said. "I do not believe I differ from Chuck DeVore either fiscally or socially."

Asked whether former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin (R) would jump into the race, she said that would be up to her, but added, "I share Sarah Palin's values."

DeVore responded to Fiorina's salvo on Twitter saying, "Fiorina at Mon. presser: "white guy" DeVore can't beat Boxer. I thought we moved beyond the politics of gender when Obama beat Clinton."

Imperial
11-23-2009, 01:34 PM
ATR hosting Fiorina? Why?

Brian4Liberty
11-23-2009, 03:05 PM
ATR hosting Fiorina? Why?

She recently signed the Taxpayer Protection Pledge sponsored by Americans for Tax Reform...she is trying to neutralize their support for Chuck DeVore.

http://www.atr.org/chuck-devore-first-candidate-sign-taxpayer-a4159

Chuck DeVore: First Candidate to Sign Taxpayer Protection Pledge in California Senate Race
From Adam Radman on Friday, February 27, 2009 12:00 PM

Recently, Assemblyman Chuck DeVore became the first candidate to sign the Taxpayer Protection Pledge for the U.S. Senate seat in California. Assemblyman DeVore is extremely familiar with the Pledge as he’s a Pledge signer on the state level and chairs the Taxpayer Protection Caucus in the California State Assembly.

The U. S. Senate seat is currently occupied by Democrat Sen. Barbara Boxer. Boxer has served as the junior Senator from California since 1993.

Chuck DeVore (R-Calif.) signs the Taxpayer Protection Pledge
Senatorial candidate promises to protect taxpayers’ wallets

WASHINGTON, D.C. – Chuck DeVore, a Republican running for the US Senate in California, recently signed the Taxpayer Protection Pledge sponsored by Americans for Tax Reform (ATR). The Pledge commits signers to “oppose any and all efforts to increase the marginal income tax rates for individuals and/or businesses … and oppose any net reduction or elimination of deductions and credits, unless matched dollar for dollar by further reducing tax rates.”

ATR has offered the Pledge to all candidates for federal office since 1987. To date, 34 U.S. senators and 172 members of the U.S. House of Representatives have signed the Pledge. Additionally, seven Governors and over 1,100 state legislators have signed the Pledge.

“After the passage of the so-called “Stimulus Package” better known as the Pelosi-Obama-Reid Spending Give-Away, Americans are desperately searching for candidates and politicians that will protect their livelihoods and put their wallets ahead of the federal government’s coffers ,” said Grover Norquist, president of ATR.

“By signing the Pledge, Chuck DeVore demonstrates that he understands the problems of hard-working taxpayers nationwide, but especially the taxpayers in California.”

“I challenge all candidates for federal office to make the same commitment to taxpayers by signing the Taxpayer Protection Pledge today,”

TCE
11-23-2009, 03:41 PM
1. Why do the psuedo-conservatives always talk about abortion rights? That is magically the only topic.

2. The Republican Senators who supported Sotomayor:

George Voinovich (Ohio) - Not running for re-election
Susan Collins (Maine) - Moderate
Olympia Snowe (Maine) - Moderate
Judd Gregg (N.H.) - Not running for re-election. Please see this thread for more "great" things about Judd Gregg: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=219770
Richard Lugar (Ind.) - Random vote
Kit Bond (Mo.) - Not running for re-election.
Sen. Mel Martinez (Fla.) - Quit the Senate shortly after vote, wasn't planning on running for re-election
Lindsey Graham (S.C.) - Moderate
Lamar Alexander (Tenn.) - Moderate leaning more Conservative.

3. She's playing the gender card how many months away from the primary?

4. She didn't have a chance to look up Sotomayor's record in the few months after she recovered from cancer?

5. I do not believe I differ from Chuck DeVore either fiscally or socially." So, we should vote for you only because you're a woman? Why can't we vote for Chuck? He has the same views as you.

anaconda
11-23-2009, 03:53 PM
Carly appears to be a neocon hack. Might as well be on the ticket with Jindal. She stumped for McSame I believe.

Brian4Liberty
11-23-2009, 09:47 PM
She stumped for McSame I believe.

She was his economic adviser... :rolleyes:

Brian4Liberty
11-23-2009, 09:50 PM
1. Why do the psuedo-conservatives always talk about abortion rights? That is magically the only topic.

Because it's a red herring. It supports the false left/right dichotomy.

How do you tell a Republican Globalist/Oligarchist/Corporatist from a similar Democrat? Their stand on abortion and gays...

Brian4Liberty
11-23-2009, 09:56 PM
So, we should vote for you only because you're a woman? Why can't we vote for Chuck? He has the same views as you.

Not exactly the same.

She supported the TARP with McShame. She also supported bailouts and stimulus, minus any restrictions on executive compensation, of course. She supports Sotomayor. She also wants to police the internet.

DeVore was against all of that.

TCE
11-24-2009, 10:53 AM
Not exactly the same.

She supported the TARP with McShame. She also supported bailouts and stimulus, minus any restrictions on executive compensation, of course. She supports Sotomayor. She also wants to police the internet.

DeVore was against all of that.

Oh, I know. DeVore>Fiorina. I was just poking holes in her statement. According to her, their views are the same. So, why shouldn't we vote for DeVore then if there is no difference? DeVore is the much better candidate here, no doubt.

Agreed. And I wonder how many crossover voters she would get in a California Senate election with strong views only on abortion and gay marriage. DeVore, on the other hand, has shown he can be a good part of the government as an Assemblyman.

Brian4Liberty
11-24-2009, 10:54 AM
Also, Chuck DeVore always mentions the Constitution.

Carly has probably never read it, or even discussed what is Constitutional. Like Pelosi, it would never enter her mind.