PDA

View Full Version : Wyoming is now the FIRST PRIMARY STATE!

MicroBalrog
10-03-2007, 04:23 AM
According to the campaign's site http://blog.ronpaul2008.com/ron_paul_2008/2007/10/to-win.html, Wyoming is now the first primary state, with its primaries coming on the 5th of January, 96 days from now.

According to Primarily Paul (http://www.primarilypaul.com/ron-paul-in-the-primaries/), Wyoming is an open primary, so even non-Republicans can vote for Paul.

The Paul movement has spent a lot of effort promoting Paul in New Hampshire, but what about Wyoming?

Starks
10-03-2007, 04:31 AM
Consider the following:

The largest single population density in the state of Wyoming is the University of Wyoming's system of dorms, suites, and apartments.

Eric21ND
10-03-2007, 04:32 AM
We need to hit that state hard. I bet a lot of people still don't know of Ron Paul there.

Taco John
10-03-2007, 04:37 AM
Wyoming has 3 electoral college votes... New Hampshire has 4.

Either would be a good win. New Hampshire has more tradition, but Wyoming is as "Republican" as it gets. THe last time they voted Democrat was in favor of Lyndon B. Johnson, against Barry Goldwater in 1964.

I wish I understood why the nation would do a dumbass thing like that.

Zydeco
10-03-2007, 04:54 AM
You could make an argument for Wyoming and New Hampshire being the two most libertarian states in the country.

I like them odds!

Man from La Mancha
10-03-2007, 04:58 AM
Wyoming has 3 electoral college votes... New Hampshire has 4.

Either would be a good win. New Hampshire has more tradition, but Wyoming is as "Republican" as it gets. THe last time they voted Democrat was in favor of Lyndon B. Johnson, against Barry Goldwater in 1964.

I wish I understood why the nation would do a dumbass thing like that.

This is why, look at featured commercial in titled Johnson-Peace little girl 1964

http://livingroomcandidate.movingimage.us/

Jared Callanan
10-03-2007, 05:07 AM
Wyoming is definitely a state we should target, I was going to post about the state last night wondering how efforts there are going. Wyoming when all said and done wont be the first primary in the nation; New Hampshire will move in front of it to prevent this - but it would still be a huge win.

Can we put together some information on what's going on out there?

expatriot
10-03-2007, 05:20 AM
As Ron Paul avoided wasting his time in Wyoming recently in favor of other
more productive efforts, the jaws of a time-trap have closed empty.

The Tactics of Mistake require that the 'front-runners' compete
for Wyoming which will turn out to be a poison-pill victory.

Wyoming is a beautiful place with a lot of very nice people
living in thrall under some very nasty overlords.

Capturing Wyoming would, for any of the 'front-runners' be feasible,
but that victory in and of itself would brand them in the perspective
of the rest of the nation.

Many people of Wyoming are, in any event, more receptive to war-mongers
than they are to the concepts of Liberty which they cannot perceive.
Under the uncrowded skies of the vast Wyoming landscape it is easy to
underestimate quickly Liberty is vanishing from the land.

The people I knew and loved there probably still exist, but most were
shackled into life-styles which could only be described as modern slavery.

10thAmendmentMan
10-03-2007, 05:44 AM
A. Wyoming won't be the first primary for long. NH and Iowa will bump up theirs.
B. Even if it is the first, no one will pay attention to it. This has happened in the past when states like Alaska have pushed into first. People don't campaign there, and the media doesn't really cover the results.

katao
10-03-2007, 05:56 AM
Wyoming is VERY different! Here is the scoop:

On Jan. 5th, 12 of their 28 delegates are elected, BUT only 980 County precinct committeemen and committeewomen get to vote. Yes, only 980 people. The rest of the delegates are chosen May 30th at their State Convention (3 of these are automatically party leaders).

The system is both good and bad news for the RP campaign. The good news is that we primarily need to focus on about 1000 people in Wyoming. The bad news is that these are likely establishment Republican types of voters, so it will be a tough task.

I have been working on contacting Jeff Greenspan, the regional campaign coordinator of the state to ensure that we have the full contact information for these folks and so that we can begin a long-term contact program with them (literature, DVDs, etc.), focusing on very mainstream Republican concerns.

specsaregood
10-03-2007, 05:57 AM
According to Primarily Paul (http://www.primarilypaul.com/ron-paul-in-the-primaries/), Wyoming is an open primary, so even non-Republicans can vote for Paul.

I think that information is incorrect. From: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=21826

Wyoming is a different beast altogether. Jan 5th is the date they elect 12 of their 28 delegates. Only the 890 precinct committeemen and committeewomen can vote for those 12 delegates. The rest of the delegates don't get elected until their state convention on May 30th.

This is both good and bad news. The bad news is that they are likely establishment Republicans. The good news is that we primarily need to focus on only those 890 folks.

That doesn't make any sense at all. Only 890 people in the whole state get to participate in the state GOP county conventions and that's it? So if I'm just ordinary average Republican voter and I want to attend these conventions to have my voice heard on who I think my party's presidential nominee should I can't do so because I'm not one of the 890 precinct committee men or women?

Edit: While I was busy getting a quote of yours, you were busy replying. :)

erowe1
10-03-2007, 06:14 AM
I thought Wyoming had a caucus, not a primary. Is this not right?
Also, Iowa definitely has a caucus.
New Hampshire's state law or constitution (I forget which) requires that they hold the first primary. But that has never prohibited caucuses like Iowa's from being held before their primary.

Badger Paul
10-03-2007, 06:51 AM
Wyoming is not a primary or a caucus, it is a county conventions that will decide who gets the 12 delegates and only 980 people across that state are going to vote in them.

So really outside of writing these people and sending them informational material and perhaps having Ron Paul meet some of them, it really isn't worth worrying about outside of those who live in Wyoming.

We need to focus on four states at this point: 1). Iowa - Jan. 7, New Hampshire (Probably Jan. 12, I don't think they will go into December), Nevada and South Carolina - Jan. 19.

Jon S
10-03-2007, 06:56 AM
i heard somewhere that new hampshire had a law that it must always be the first primary... so they'll bump it up.

erowe1
10-03-2007, 07:05 AM
i heard somewhere that new hampshire had a law that it must always be the first primary... so they'll bump it up.

Yes, NH will bump theirs up to some time ahead of the Michigan primary. But they won't necessarily make their primary before the Iowa caucus or the Wyoming whatchamacallit, because those aren't primaries. The Iowa caucus has always been before the NH primary, and I don't imagine that people in NH would have a problem with keeping it that way. We'll have to see what date they end up with.