PDA

View Full Version : NYT: Ron Paul Defends His Plan for Fed Oversight

bobbyw24
11-22-2009, 07:04 AM
Ron Paul Defends His Plan for Fed Oversight
November 20, 2009, 6:26 pm

Defending himself against critics, Representative Ron Paul of Texas played down continuing concerns on Friday that his amendment to give Congress sweeping new oversight powers over the Federal Reserve would compromise the central bank’s political independence. He asserted that the Fed was not truly as independent as it would like the public to believe.

“There is already a tremendous amount of political pressure on the Fed,” Mr. Paul, a libertarian Republican, told DealBook. “The Federal Reserve Board chairmen have notoriously been sympathetic to the presidents who might be reappointing them and there has been evidence to show that.”

Mr. Paul also asserted that the Fed was beholden to pressures beyond the government from special interests, including Wall Street.

“It’s not like the banks and Goldman Sachs doesn’t have influence over the Fed,” Mr. Paul said. “Every time the Fed says it wants its independence, what they are really saying is we want to keep our secrets.”

The renewed attacks on Mr. Paul’s controversial amendment to provide audits of the Fed comes after the House Financial Services Committee voted Thursday night to insert the amendment into its version of the financial overhaul bill.

The amendment would allow the Government Accountability Office, the investigative arm of Congress, to have access to a vast array of information on the nation’s monetary policy currently out of their reach, including information on the Fed’s emergency lending programs, information on the financial bailouts, the Fed’s dealings with foreign central banks and the Fed’s decisions to drive down interest rates by intervening in bond markets.

Representative Barney Frank, the Massachusetts Democrat who is chairman of the House Financial Services Committee, told DealBook that he voted against the amendment because he said he felt “it went a little bit too far.” But he noted that he could support it going forward if it did not dispel the “perception” that the Fed is independent.

“The problems with monetary policy is that perception plays a real role and I did worry that that could lead people inside America and also outside to be worried about the integrity of the monetary policy function,” Mr. Frank said. “If it turns out that the amendment does not cause these kind of concerns, then I would be fine with that.”

Meanwhile, other critics of Mr. Paul’s amendment contend that Congress is “pandering to public anger” and fear that the Fed would lose its ability to set interest rates, putting Congress in charge of this very important subset of monetary policy.

“Yesterday’s passage of the Paul amendment by the House Financial Services Committee is a dangerous move by this Congress to pander to the populist anger currently directed against our central bank, the Federal Reserve,” Senator Judd Gregg, Republican of New Hampshire, said in a statement. “Congress has demonstrated time and again its inability to manage the nation’s fiscal policy, illustrated by our staggering national debt in excess of $12 trillion, so how can anyone think that its involvement in monetary policy would be good for the country?”

Mr. Paul shot back at Mr. Gregg. “It’s not pandering, it’s listening,” Mr. Paul said. “The people are angry because they are finding out what the Fed is doing.”

read on

http://dealbook.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/11/20/ron-paul-defends-his-plan-for-fed-oversight/

Andrew-Austin
11-22-2009, 11:07 AM
“Yesterday’s passage of the Paul amendment by the House Financial Services Committee is a dangerous move by this Congress to pander to the populist anger currently directed against our central bank, the Federal Reserve,” Senator Judd Gregg, Republican of New Hampshire, said in a statement. “Congress has demonstrated time and again its inability to manage the nation’s fiscal policy, illustrated by our staggering national debt in excess of $12 trillion, so how can anyone think that its involvement in monetary policy would be good for the country?”

The Free Staters need to get rid of this guy.

lester1/2jr
11-22-2009, 12:50 PM
the article title implies it is a position that needs to be defended. and of course they don't mention the massive popular support

Endgame
11-22-2009, 01:02 PM
the article title implies it is a position that needs to be defended. and of course they don't mention the massive popular support

Is there really, beyond us spamming congressmen? I don't know anyone that's even heard of the Federal Reserve (which is good, because they don't automatically go into "defend the status quo" mode and shut their minds when you tell them what it is). This feels like it was all too easy. Setting the stage for some sort of new global Fed maybe?

bobbyw24
11-22-2009, 02:12 PM
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=219779&highlight=cummings

FSP-Rebel
11-22-2009, 02:45 PM
The Free Staters need to get rid of this guy.
Gregg is retiring and our Attorney General (Kelly Ayotte) is running in his stead and she's likely to win. I met with one of her campaign staffers yesterday and they are sympathetic to my non-profit, Tenth Amendment NH - which was recently started with a biz partner of mine. We'll be meeting with her personally in the coming weeks/months to clarify a few of her positions. She's probably a little on the pro-war side, but domestically she is fiscally conservative and is a friend of gun owners. But, I got her staffer to admit that we can't afford all the excessive military bases around the world. I'll post more on this as time goes by as many of us NHers are trying to clean up our image on the national level.