PDA

View Full Version : New Income Tax to fund the wars

Pauls' Revere
11-22-2009, 12:41 AM
Now they want an income tax on those earning more than 200K to help fund troop levels. I guess now we could get the upper crust into our movement.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/bloomberg/apo6hrw_x85a

Nov. 21 (Bloomberg) -- Higher-income Americans should be taxed to pay for more troops sent to Afghanistan and NATO should provide half of the new soldiers, said Carl Levin, chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee.

An “additional income tax to the upper brackets, folks earning more than $200,000 or $250,000” a year, could fund more troops, Levin, a Michigan Democrat, said in an interview for Bloomberg Television’s “Political Capital With Al Hunt,” airing this weekend.

White House Budget Director Peter Orszag has estimated that each additional soldier in Afghanistan could cost $1 million, for a total that could reach $40 billion if 40,000 more troops are added.

That cost, Levin said, should be paid by wealthier taxpayers. “They have done incredibly well, and I think that it’s important that we pay for it if we possibly can” instead of increasing the federal debt load, the senator said.

Pants
11-22-2009, 12:58 AM
I often wondered why the Government never sold war bonds? I suppose it was an undeclared war.. so technically it isn't a war.

Now they want an income tax on those earning more than 200K to help fund troop levels. I guess now we could get the upper crust into our movement.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/bloomberg/apo6hrw_x85a

Nov. 21 (Bloomberg) -- Higher-income Americans should be taxed to pay for more troops sent to Afghanistan and NATO should provide half of the new soldiers, said Carl Levin, chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee.

An “additional income tax to the upper brackets, folks earning more than $200,000 or $250,000” a year, could fund more troops, Levin, a Michigan Democrat, said in an interview for Bloomberg Television’s “Political Capital With Al Hunt,” airing this weekend.

White House Budget Director Peter Orszag has estimated that each additional soldier in Afghanistan could cost $1 million, for a total that could reach $40 billion if 40,000 more troops are added.

That cost, Levin said, should be paid by wealthier taxpayers. “They have done incredibly well, and I think that it’s important that we pay for it if we possibly can” instead of increasing the federal debt load, the senator said.

Dreamofunity
11-22-2009, 09:26 AM
Hell yeah, lets punish the hard workers to send in more poor people to kill even poorer people!

ClayTrainor
11-22-2009, 09:28 AM
The concept of taxation needs to go the way of the concept of the king. It needs to disappear.

andrewh817
11-22-2009, 12:00 PM
The concept of taxation needs to go the way of the concept of the king. It needs to disappear.

I wonder how much longer this concept will last? Future generations will probably look back at this society and wonder how we allowed it.

Pauls' Revere
11-22-2009, 06:22 PM
I wonder how much longer this concept will last? Future generations will probably look back at this society and wonder how we allowed it.

yeah, so let me see if I got this right.

We are being taxed to send our own children off to die!

HOLLYWOOD
11-22-2009, 06:27 PM
Government controls the Educational System for a Reason.

Indoctrination, slowly over time, and you manipulate the masses.

The Communists did this with Eastern Europe... and Dissenters were taken of their wealth/possessions and imprisoned. Some of the earilier speeches from Poland's freedom fighter Lech Valenza, proves this point.

qh4dotcom
11-29-2009, 12:34 AM
yeah, so let me see if I got this right.

We are being taxed to send our own children off to die!

If all children refused to go, nobody would die...it's their fault...the parents are to blame as well for not having educated their kids about the dangers of enrolling in the military or not doing enough to discourage them from going.

Eric Arthur Blair
11-29-2009, 02:30 AM
If all children refused to go, nobody would die...it's their fault...the parents are to blame as well for not having educated their kids about the dangers of enrolling in the military or not doing enough to discourage them from going.

what parents can compete with the Hollywood and Video Game Industry war glamorization. Combine that with a destroyed economy and the military will have no problem finding recruits.

t0rnado
11-29-2009, 03:34 AM
At some point, you have to begin to wonder who the enemy is. Saddam Hussein never forced us to pay taxes and he never restricted our gun rights. Bin Laden doesn't debase the currency and spy on us. The US government does, however, do all of that.

nobody's_hero
11-29-2009, 06:01 AM
First they came for the $200,000 earners.

We all know the history of the income tax. "It will only apply to the richest of rich." So they said.

Yet, the democrats will probably succeed in passing this, because they always convince the masses that people with money are evil.

Chester Copperpot
11-29-2009, 06:50 AM
they finally took off the FCC subscriber line charge from the phone bills... and that wasa tax to pay for the Spanish American war of 1898.. now they want it back in spades.. I say NO

krazy kaju
11-29-2009, 08:10 AM
You know, now that I think about it, this isn't such a bad idea. We could have normal taxes and in times of war we could have a specific "war tax." In this case, everyone would feel the pain of the war tax and they would know how much of their incomes are going towards bombs, guns, grunts, and bullets.

If I had a chance to change the Constitution, that would be one of the things I do. I would make it so that the federal government can only raise taxes under certain well-defined instances, one of them being war. Thus, when the federal government would be running short of cash during war, it could issue a war tax. This would also boost the peace movement, since people would have a more direct incentive to not have to pay the war tax.

cheapseats
11-29-2009, 08:15 AM
You know, now that I think about it, this isn't such a bad idea. We could have normal taxes and in times of war we could have a specific "war tax."

Observe how you are . . . what's the word I'm looking for? Ah, yes, INCORPORATE. Observe how even the libertarian incorporates future wars into a world view.

Seattle has an ANNUAL anti police brutality protest. We seek PERMITS, months in advance, to demonstrate INDEPENDENCE.
MindOfMo
You wanna play Jacks, that's what you'll get: JACK.
4:08 PM Nov 27th from web

cheapseats
11-29-2009, 08:17 AM
l
l

AMERICA HAS NO CREDIT
SO WE BORROW TROUBLE
l
l