PDA

View Full Version : PACT Act will ban mailing tobacco products

Razmear
11-21-2009, 02:47 PM
The latest assault on smokers just came out of committee in the Senate:

S. 1147: PACT Act
http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=s111-1147

I've got to get ready to head to work, just got an alert on this one, so will paste the alert sent from an online tobacco seller and reply more when I get home.

---
Valued Smokers Outlet Customers,

URGENT!!!!

Yesterday, November 19th, the Senate Judiciary Committee approved Bill S.1147 ("PACT ACT") to go before the senate floor for a full vote. If passed, this bill will prevent the shipping of all tobacco products via the internet, phone or catalog through any mail services. We need your help in stopping this bill, as it is the first step in taking away one more of our rights. Please contact your state senators and tell them "VOTE NO ON THE PACT ACT." Please forward this email to as many friends and family as possible. We have worked too hard to provide you with superior products at great prices to let our government take it away.Please click the link below for a more detailed explanation of the bill and to sign the petition.

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/us-citzens-against-the-pact-act-of-2009-s1147.

Thankyou for your support,
----

Also, I looked at the findings in the bills full text, Terrorists and Children are the main topics of concern, and of course to make sure they can collect all that tax revenue they keep slapping on the 20% of citizens that choose to smoke.

eb

NYgs23
11-21-2009, 02:54 PM
Why don't they just ban tobacco and get it over with? It'll give them an excuse to expand the DEA, thus lowering the unemployment rate.

P.S. I'm being sarcastic.

Dieseler
11-21-2009, 03:01 PM
Why don't they just ban tobacco and get it over with? It'll give them an excuse to expand the DEA, thus lowering the unemployment rate.

P.S. I'm being sarcastic.

I missed the P.S. while I was hitting the quote button,
/Chuckle

They don't tax me anymore.
I am completely tobacco free now.
After twenty five years nothing but pure spite could make me quit.

Ninja Homer
11-21-2009, 03:18 PM
After the last batch of federal tax increases on tobacco, a lot of smokers have started ordering online, or switched to e-cigarettes or other alternatives like snus or snuff, or started getting tobacco from the black market. The federal government has already spent the money that they expected to get from their tax increases, so now they have to do this crap to protect their money supply.

If terrorists are really making money from black market tobacco sales, then the federal government is directly responsible for creating the black market that terrorists are using to make money, by way overtaxing tobacco.

If I remember right, I think the PACT act forces any shipped tobacco products to have the same amount of taxes on them as what the product would normally have in that state. Not an outright ban, but it would put most online sales out of business because the prices will be the same as if you were just buying locally.

The attack on tobacco has never been about getting people to quit and making people healthier; it's always been about demonizing tobacco so they can tax the hell out of it and increase their money supply. I'd expect to see safer alternatives like e-cigarettes and snus get banned, and growing your own tobacco banned as well.

Razmear
11-21-2009, 03:34 PM
I skimmed the full text of the bill and it bans the transport of tobacco by mail or other common carriers (UPS, FedX) outright.
I saw no provision saying if taxes are paid then it's ok to ship, as it would be impossible for a postal inspector to determine if the taxes were paid.
I've been rolling my own since SCHIP and saving about $80-$100 a month between me and my wife. I smoke this:
http://www.smokersoutletonline.com/good-stuff-pipe-tobacco-p-219.html
at $15 a pound which makes about 2.5 cartons of cigs.

Off to work...
eb

parocks
11-21-2009, 03:47 PM
How is that stuff? I bought 10-15 pounds of "the good stuff" cigarette tobacco before the April 1 tax hike. I'm still working on it.

Is the "the good stuff" pipe tobacco smokable in cigs? Good enough?

I skimmed the full text of the bill and it bans the transport of tobacco by mail or other common carriers (UPS, FedX) outright.
I saw no provision saying if taxes are paid then it's ok to ship, as it would be impossible for a postal inspector to determine if the taxes were paid.
I've been rolling my own since SCHIP and saving about $80-$100 a month between me and my wife. I smoke this:
http://www.smokersoutletonline.com/good-stuff-pipe-tobacco-p-219.html
at $15 a pound which makes about 2.5 cartons of cigs.

Off to work...
eb

bossman068410
11-21-2009, 04:41 PM
NNNNOOOOOOO

I pack my own smokes and it only cost me $ 1.00 a Pack

This is just another way to hurt the POOR.

I get the house brand
http://www.rollyourown.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=90_178&products_id=615
NCS House Blend Natural Pipe Tobacco 16oz or 1 lb
$16.50
NCS House Blend is a standard cut tobacco. Manufactured by M&R Holdings, the makers of Farmers Gold tobacco.

If I get 5 lb of it at a time it's cheaper than the 15 dollar brand because the other people charge more for shipping.

Dieseler
11-21-2009, 04:43 PM
I feel better.
I'm a sight meaner than I was before and much quicker to anger but I do feel better.

catdd
11-21-2009, 05:41 PM
Why can't they just stop imposing their will on the people?

Oh wait, then they wouldn't have anything to do, would they?

Ninja Homer
11-21-2009, 05:53 PM

Really... then the bill has changed since the last time I read it, but I guess I'm not surprised. An outright ban is going to make it impossible to get Swedish snus, which is the safest, most time tested alternative to smoking. Big tobacco must love this bill.

Ninja Homer
11-21-2009, 05:57 PM
How is that stuff? I bought 10-15 pounds of "the good stuff" cigarette tobacco before the April 1 tax hike. I'm still working on it.

A lot of RYO tobacco brands just repackaged their RYO cig tobacco as pipe tobacco. The last fed tax increases raised RYO cig tobacco something like 12000%, but not pipe tobacco, so this is the RYO tobacco companies' way of getting around it. It should be the same tobacco, but it may be a little thicker cut.

Razmear
11-21-2009, 10:42 PM

It stuffs just as good as the cig style. Basically it's just a longer cut to meet the requirements of being called 'pipe tobacco' which didn't get taxed as much when SCHIP passed.

I usually order from lilbrown.com as they are a bit cheaper, but cuz their website sucks it's easier to point to the SOO store.

eb

cindy25
11-21-2009, 10:48 PM
this is just another bill to help high tax states, with the eventual goal to collect sales tax on everything across state lines

REDNECK WOMAN
11-21-2009, 11:50 PM
This makes allot of sence oh wait it's the Gov!!!! they don't make any sense. OK, they want to make pot smoking legal but try to force smoker to quit? Well my redneck ass likes to smoke cigs and I will grow it outside my house, roll it and smoke the hell out of it. GOV F%$* you and the white horse you rode in on!!!!!

tremendoustie
11-22-2009, 12:09 AM
If they pass this, we need to all anonymously mail congress and the president pinches of chewing tobacco.

Razmear
11-22-2009, 12:36 AM
A related story on the change to pipe tobacco:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33991536/ns/business-us_business/
looks like time is short for this loophole. Notice how the article makes it look like the tobacco companies are the ones avoiding the taxes, it's us poor smokers who are trying to avoid being taxed to death.

btw, found that while checking this site:
http://ryorevolution.com/
lots of good info there if you roll your own.

eb

DamianTV
11-22-2009, 04:55 AM
They are CREATING a black market. It was already mentioned "tobacco black market" but this is just gonna get sheeple to start thinking of anything tobacco related as a "drug" that has to be outlawed, so, they can do the same thing they do with every other drug they make illegal. Make money from it. Not thru taxes. Taxes are and ends to a means, and the means it to make tobacco illegal. Once its illegal, tobacco busts will yeild high amounts of money, and gives them an excuse to further institute even more police controls, sold to the sheeple under the guise of "War on Tobacco".

If tobacco is made illegal, how much do you think a dealer will charge for an ounce? Price will depend on the risk of the sale, but odds are there will be a LOT of money involved. Thats their real goal. More control and more money.

Did I miss anything in my relatively short rant?