PDA

View Full Version : Rumor on 3Q announcement

Bradley in DC
10-02-2007, 11:38 PM
From my Meetup group organizer:

Thanks again for helping make the last quarter successful!

It seems that we can raise a large sum of money to help the campaign reach their 4 million monthly goal. This is going to take the effort of every single one of us. I still have a lot to contribute and I am sure that the rest of us do too. A few individuals approached me at the last fundraiser and encouraged me to organize another event to raise funds!

I am willing to host a preliminary keg party this weekend at my apt to get the momentum going. I'll be at the American Dream Summit most likely both days but certainly OCT 5 th!! Perhaps we can get people together afterwards in Georgetown!?

Lets organize another event for the second week of Oct and then a large Halloween party. Let set a financial goal for the fundraiser's. Or whatever else people want to do!!

Please reply and get this rolling now!! We need to be relentless. I was at HQ this evening and I confirmed that the amount should be released by the end of the week! Apparently they are still counting! It certainly seems that 3 million is the floor!!

Stephen Toglia

JosephTheLibertarian
10-02-2007, 11:41 PM
we already knew it couldn't be less than like 3.5 million

kylejack
10-02-2007, 11:43 PM
we already knew it couldn't be less than like 3.5 million
3.2 is our floor. The important part, though, is that they're still counting, so the sky's the limit.

JosephTheLibertarian
10-02-2007, 11:46 PM
3.2 is our floor. The important part, though, is that they're still counting, so the sky's the limit.

ok. why not just use a money counting machine?

Bradley in DC
10-02-2007, 11:47 PM

The bullion kept getting stuck. :p

kylejack
10-02-2007, 11:49 PM
Checks that were mailed in have to be taken out of their envelopes, tabulated, name and amount recorded, and deposited. Keep in mind that mail takes a few days, so they might still be receiving Q3 donations as late as tomorrow or the next day that were post-marked on 9/30.

Bradley in DC
10-02-2007, 11:50 PM
Checks that were mailed in have to be taken out of their envelopes, tabulated, name and amount recorded, and deposited. Keep in mind that mail takes a few days, so they might still be receiving Q3 donations as late as tomorrow or the next day that were post-marked on 9/30.

And verifying that people didn't donate over the $2300 limit or have a last name sounding like "shoe".

reduen
10-02-2007, 11:59 PM
And verifying that people didn't donate over the $2300 limit or have a last name sounding like "shoe".

:D

foofighter20x
10-03-2007, 12:30 AM

LOL... Damned gold bars! :D

austin356
10-03-2007, 12:33 AM

That would be a good publicity stunt if it come be worked out some how......... Ron Paul receives campaign contribution in Gold Bullion......

Bradley in DC
10-03-2007, 12:37 AM
That would be a good publicity stunt if it come be worked out some how......... Ron Paul receives campaign contribution in Gold Bullion......

I know that the Congressional campaign has got the silver Liberty Dollars before in races past.

Bradley in DC
10-03-2007, 12:39 AM

I was referencing this joke going around:

http://ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=21677&highlight=funny

njandrewg
10-03-2007, 12:52 AM
I don't think Ron Paul would be asking for 4 million in the next month, if they didn't raise something close to that in September

USPatriot36
10-03-2007, 01:08 AM
Well it would be foolish to ask for 4m in the single month of Ocober if he got less than that in the 3rd Quarter.

Ozwest
10-03-2007, 01:16 AM
I feel he'll announce 3rd quarter contributions on a MSM show, possibly, Tucker Carlson Wednesday or Thursday to catch optimum press coverage. Otherwise he might wait till early next week.

goRPaul
10-03-2007, 01:23 AM
the suspense is KILLING me!

USPatriot36
10-03-2007, 01:23 AM
I read somewhere that it would be Thursday or Friday. He is giving a speech Friday in Washington DC and I think it may be then.

Ozwest
10-03-2007, 01:30 AM
I read somewhere that it would be Thursday or Friday. He is giving a speech Friday in Washington DC and I think it may be then.

Could be, but isn't Friday a poor day to release news items, it seems anytime the government has bad news they want to bury they release it on Friday.

McDermit
10-03-2007, 01:43 AM

Quite a few campaign people are heading to dc for that conference... It's certainly not out of the question

walt
10-03-2007, 01:48 AM
uhm, this is not news. this is a waste of time.

WE MUST REVERSE THE NH CLOSED PRIMARY DEADLINE OF 10/12 or we are screwed. The money won't matter one bit.

McDermit
10-03-2007, 01:55 AM

WE MUST REVERSE THE NH CLOSED PRIMARY DEADLINE OF 10/12 or we are screwed. The money won't matter one bit.

start a thread detailing your plan and telling us what you want us to do

SouthernGuy15
10-03-2007, 02:11 AM
Let me ask this question. What do you mean by "closed" primary?

Won't the money be useful in making those already republicans support Ron Paul?

foofighter20x
10-03-2007, 02:31 AM
Let me ask this question. What do you mean by "closed" primary?

Won't the money be useful in making those already republicans support Ron Paul?

A closed primary is a primary in which only registered members of the party are allowed to vote for who their party's nominee will be.

Why is this bad for us? A lot of support for Dr Paul come from crossover voters such as registered Independents, Libertarians, Constitutionalists, unaffiliateds, and even a few Democrats. Some of those cross-over voters are reluctant to switch their party affiliation to vote for Dr Paul. What they were resting on is that the primary would be open and that they could simply vote for Paul on election day. However, with states that changed to closed at the last minute, the Republican Party of that state will effectively shut out all of Dr Paul's cross over supporters who didn't switch to the GOP.

In open primary states, this hesitation by the crossovers doesn't matter. You simply get to vote for any candidate on the ballot, so long as you only vote for one candidate seeking a certain office.

In modified closed primary, independents and unaffiliateds simply declare which party they wish to vote in and get that party's ballot. Libertarians, Constitutionalists, etc. are shut out as they are not GOP, independents, or unaffiliated.

As to the money: it wouldn't matter how much Dr Paul spent. Once the door is shut, it's shut. If the crossovers hadn't changed thier party and the deadline passed, then they can't vote for Paul in the primary. He would have to get at the neo-cons that already don't like him instead of growing the party to gain the support he needs.

Man from La Mancha
10-03-2007, 03:44 AM
Can a massive push or loophole in the legislation be reversed ? What are the percentage of neo cons and the rest of Republicans? Won't there be many republicans who are disenfranchised and don't vote to often who could be persuaded to change to Ron Paul? Republicans respect the power of money and if Ron had lots of it could that change their minds?

kylejack
10-03-2007, 06:13 AM
Can a massive push or loophole in the legislation be reversed ? What are the percentage of neo cons and the rest of Republicans? Won't there be many republicans who are disenfranchised and don't vote to often who could be persuaded to change to Ron Paul? Republicans respect the power of money and if Ron had lots of it could that change their minds?

Imagine the Saul Anuzis uproar but with 3 times as many voices, as I suspect we now have. SIGHTS ARE HOT. OPEN FIRE.

gagnonstudio
10-03-2007, 06:22 AM
What exactly has changed about the NH primary? Independents are still able to vote, as well as non-registered voters can register on the day of the election. I know that if you are a democrat you have to register Republican by Oct 12, which is a little outrageous, but I thought this was the way the NH primary has always been. I didn't think they were ever an open primary. From what I understand even if you were libertarian or green or whatever, you still had to change your registration to I or R to vote republican. I've been trying to find the information where it says Independents can't vote in the primary, unless they register republican and I can't find it.

I think we are also underestimating NH republicans and the RP message. I think he will still win, especially if the fundraising money turns out to be high. People just don't think he can win, that is the big thing. If they see he can win, then they'll want to be on the underdog team that came from behind. That's better than being on the stacked team, who was supposed to win.

Bradley in DC
10-03-2007, 07:36 AM

In some polls, Dr. Paul is getting more support from Republicans than independents.

Chester Copperpot
10-03-2007, 07:39 AM
In some polls, Dr. Paul is getting more support from Republicans than independents.

Really? Thats good to know Brad... I appreciate you keeping us informed on facts and level headed at times..

reduen
10-03-2007, 07:44 AM
Really? Thats good to know Brad... I appreciate you keeping us informed on facts and level headed at times..

Ooh posh, you're just saying that because he has DC in his name.... ;)

Bradley in DC
10-03-2007, 07:45 AM

Grain of salt with early polls, but yes. Independents tend to follow politics less closely and gravitate towards media favorites (McCain last time, Rudy now).

Ozwest
10-03-2007, 07:52 AM

Yes, But what percentage of the crucial Independent vote will back Ron Paul rather than other Republican candidates? Their votes are the decider. Third or possible first.

Ninja Homer
10-03-2007, 08:06 AM

Just curious here... What would happen if somebody donated 2300 Silver Eagles? The face value on a Silver Eagle is 1 dollar, so it would be within the $2300 limit, but silver spot is $13.49/oz, so their real value would be at least $31,000.

kylejack
10-03-2007, 08:07 AM
Just curious here... What would happen if somebody donated 2300 Silver Eagles? The face value on a Silver Eagle is 1 dollar, so it would be within the $2300 limit, but silver spot is $13.49/oz, so their real value would be at least $31,000.

Its the value not the face value.

Chester Copperpot
10-03-2007, 08:07 AM

Legally its $2,300.. to me.. of course youd have to see what the law defines it to be,.

Bradley in DC
10-03-2007, 08:09 AM
Yes, But what percentage of the crucial Independent vote will back Ron Paul rather than other Republican candidates? Their votes are the decider. Third or possible first.

Again, HUGE grain of salt with early polls, but at least in some that break it down that way, Dr. Paul's support among independents is LESS than his support among Republicans so his overall percentage either stays the same or falls. Rudy's goes up. Yes, of course, at this stage most of it is name recognition...

Ozwest
10-03-2007, 08:11 AM
Sell the bullion on the open market, donate 4,600.00 legally to primaries and the main election. Donate the rest to great causes proposed on this Forum.

Ozwest
10-03-2007, 08:27 AM
Again, HUGE grain of salt with early polls, but at least in some that break it down that way, Dr. Paul's support among independents is LESS than his support among Republicans so his overall percentage either stays the same or falls. Rudy's goes up. Yes, of course, at this stage most of it is name recognition...

Point taken... My guess is that Independents are more likely to swing, therefore their votes will likely be the decider, especially in New Hampshire... If Ron doesn't do well there, it's nothing but downhill. Thompson will take the next southern States and Romney will take Michigan and Iowa. Rudy will roll out of New York... Gotta take the Granite State to shake things up.

smtwngrl
10-03-2007, 08:37 AM
Legally its $2,300.. to me.. of course youd have to see what the law defines it to be,.

Legally, it is not legal tender. Therefore, donating an eagle is the same as donating an item of value. What would be counted is its worth.

ItsTime
10-03-2007, 08:39 AM
A closed primary is a primary in which only registered members of the party are allowed to vote for who their party's nominee will be.

Why is this bad for us? A lot of support for Dr Paul come from crossover voters such as registered Independents, Libertarians, Constitutionalists, unaffiliateds, and even a few Democrats. Some of those cross-over voters are reluctant to switch their party affiliation to vote for Dr Paul. What they were resting on is that the primary would be open and that they could simply vote for Paul on election day. However, with states that changed to closed at the last minute, the Republican Party of that state will effectively shut out all of Dr Paul's cross over supporters who didn't switch to the GOP.

In open primary states, this hesitation by the crossovers doesn't matter. You simply get to vote for any candidate on the ballot, so long as you only vote for one candidate seeking a certain office.

In modified closed primary, independents and unaffiliateds simply declare which party they wish to vote in and get that party's ballot. Libertarians, Constitutionalists, etc. are shut out as they are not GOP, independents, or unaffiliated.

As to the money: it wouldn't matter how much Dr Paul spent. Once the door is shut, it's shut. If the crossovers hadn't changed thier party and the deadline passed, then they can't vote for Paul in the primary. He would have to get at the neo-cons that already don't like him instead of growing the party to gain the support he needs.

From what I understand there are only three things you can be in NH. Rep, Dep or undeclared. If you are Undeclared you can vote for any party. However, when they close the election that means you need to declare that party.

http://www.sos.nh.gov/vote.htm

"POLITICAL PARTIES
When registering to vote, you will not be required to register as a member of a political party (republican or democratic) -- you may register as an undeclared voter. If you are registered as an undeclared voter and go to vote in a state primary election, you will be required to choose a party when accepting a ballot. Voters should be aware of their party status before a primary election. If you voted on a party ballot in the 2006 state primary, you are now a registered member of that party unless you filled out a card to return to undeclared status with the supervisors of the checklist.

If you are unsure of your party affiliation, you should contact your town or city clerk, as they have the records of party membership. Or, if you are a party member and wish to change your registration status, initiate such a change by taking one of the following steps:

Presidential Primary
1) Meet with the Supervisors of the Checklist no later than the day prior to the filing period for the Presidential Primary (to be announced). This is the last day you can change your party affiliation before the Presidential Primary.

2) If you are a registered member of a party, you may change your registration at any primary, however, you will not be allowed to vote in that primary. Undeclared voters may declare a party and vote at any primary. The law allows an undeclared voter to declare a party at the polls, vote the ballot of that party, and then change their party affiliation back to undeclared simply by completing the form available from the Supervisors of the Checklist at the polling place."

TheIndependent
10-03-2007, 09:40 AM
Legally, it is not legal tender. Therefore, donating an eagle is the same as donating an item of value. What would be counted is its worth.

Wrong. From the U.S. Mint's own site:

American Eagle Silver Bullion Coins are affordable investments, beautiful collectibles, thoughtful gifts and memorable incentives or rewards. Above all, as legal tender, they're the only silver bullion coins whose weight and purity are guaranteed by the United States Government. They're also the only silver coins allowed in an IRA.

Silver has historically been the most affordable precious metal. Since 1986, the United States has minted one-dollar silver coins called "Silver Eagles." Each contains a minimum of one troy ounce of 99.9% pure silver.

TheIndependent
10-03-2007, 09:41 AM
Its the value not the face value.

Are you sure about that? http://www.reason.com/blog/show/122782.html

LarryWhite
10-03-2007, 11:15 AM
According to MSNBC, he's the $5 million dollar man.

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/

Ron Paul raises $5 million!Posted: Wednesday, October 03, 2007 1:02 PM by Domenico Montanaro
Categories: 2008, Ron Paul
From NBC's Domenico Montanaro
First Read has learned that Ron Paul has raised more than $5 million: $5,080,000 to be exact. They don't have the total number or donors just yet or the exact average donation, but the campaign tells First Read that "last quarter was a $40 average donation; that trend appears to have continued."