PDA

View Full Version : Rush Limbaugh - "phoney soldiers"

MadEmperor
10-02-2007, 11:21 PM
Here is the sound bite. Make your own opinions.

http://thinkprogress.org/2007/09/27/limbaugh-pro-withdrawal-%20troops-are-phony-soldiers/

yaz
10-02-2007, 11:25 PM
Rush says he was talking about a specific soldier who was discharged from the military after 45 days and spoke out against the war. Others say that him saying "phony soldiers" was plural and applied to every military person who speaks out against the war.

austin356
10-02-2007, 11:26 PM
you know he had his armed services broadcast edited to change that so the troops listening did not hear it.

Cindy
10-02-2007, 11:26 PM
Yup. Thats the new spin to discount the HUGE support Paul is getting from the Military.

Sort of like how the Internet polls are won by two spammers who live in their moms basements.

These guys are shameless.

MadEmperor
10-02-2007, 11:37 PM
Found the source:

http://thinkprogress.org/2007/09/27/limbaugh-pro-withdrawal-%20troops-are-phony-soldiers/

yaz
10-02-2007, 11:44 PM
Today and the day before he spent his entire show defending what he said. Him and then Hannity kept saying stuff like "only two words"... "just two words" "out of context"... "spun"... etc.

yaz
10-02-2007, 11:46 PM
oh yeah and then they started talking about how democrats attack sponsors and spin things for public outrage like they did to Imus.

RP4ME
10-03-2007, 12:37 AM
why wont teh dems do what they were hired to do - instead of waster our money to fannying about ...screaming about idiots like Rush! Do tehy think theyll get brownies for attcking rush instead of impeaching Bush or Cheney or withdrawing???Plaeez - pathertic waste of time

They shoudl ALLL be ashamed along with Rush

USPatriot36
10-03-2007, 01:03 AM
I dis-like Rush strongly. However, in all honesty I must admit that he was likely talking only about people who portray themselves as being Iraq vets when they are not. This is just one of many media circuses they play all the time to keep people from thinking about the real issues.

BillyDkid
10-03-2007, 07:18 AM
I dis-like Rush strongly. However, in all honesty I must admit that he was likely talking only about people who portray themselves as being Iraq vets when they are not. This is just one of many media circuses they play all the time to keep people from thinking about the real issues.That sure is not what it sounded like to me. He was agreeing with the caller that Iraqi vets who opposed the war and the Bush doctrine were phoney soldiers. This from a cowardly, self serving hypocrite who never sacrificed anything for anything.

Bob Cochran
10-03-2007, 07:22 AM
He was agreeing with the caller that Iraqi vets who opposed the war and the Bush doctrine were phoney soldiers.
Anyone who is served in a theater of war as a member of the military is no phoney soldier. They've earned the right to say what they want.

Rush used his pilonidal cyst - a congenital birth defect - to avoid military service in the Vietnam War

erowe1
10-03-2007, 07:35 AM
No Bob, I think you don't understand. There are these fakes running around claiming all kinds of war experience and credentials who either were never soldiers or did none of the things they claim. Then they use their phony experience as a pretense for getting people to listen to them about the war. The only people who have ever earned the right to claim they were awarded purple hearts and were officers are the people who actually were. These phonies are scum.

We need more patriots like Rush who don't take that crap. The Dems in Congress are abominable for taking the phony soldiers' side on this. Instead of condemning Rush, they should have issued a statement condemning all people who make up fake military credentials. But they can't do that, because then they'd be taking Rush's side. What scum of the earth.

Zarxrax
10-03-2007, 07:42 AM
I admit I don't like rush, I used to, but a few years ago I finally started to see through everything he was saying. I still listen to him most days when I'm driving though. Days prior to this incident I had heard him discussing "phony soldiers", people who were pretending to be soldiers. It's really clear to me that was what he meant when he said that. His quote "The phony soldiers?" in response to what the caller said was clearly just him referring to phony soldiers like he had mentioned before.

BillyDkid
10-03-2007, 07:44 AM
No Bob, I think you don't understand. There are these fakes running around claiming all kinds of war experience and credentials who either were never soldiers or did none of the things they claim. Then they use their phony experience as a pretense for getting people to listen to them about the war. The only people who have ever earned the right to claim they have purple hearts and were officers are the people who actually were. These phonies are scum.

We need more patriots like Rush who don't take that crap. The Dems in Congress are abominable for taking the phony soldiers' side on this. Instead of condemning Rush, they should have issued a statement condemning all people who make up fake military credentials. But they can't do that, because then they'd be taking Rush's side. What scum of the earth.That is the claim now, but I heard it and it was not what they were saying. I will grant you I didn't hear the entire phone call segment, but I heard nothing about people pretending to be soldiers. And if Rush Limbaugh is patriot and if Hannity is a "great American" - then, you know, I have been living in the wrong country all of my life. What's worse is Rush and Hannity and the likes of Ann Coulter routinely smear people who genuinely are patriots - Ron Paul for example.

erowe1
10-03-2007, 07:54 AM
Rush has never had anything but good things to say about Ron Paul. Granted, he rarely mentions him. But it's never bad. And when his callers try to side against Paul, Rush never joins them.

Even the short clip at the beginning of this thread makes it perfectly clear that he was talking about phony soldiers. The caller mentions guys who are pulled off the streets and interviewed as if they're soldiers when they aren't and Rush simply replies "The phony soldiers." The story about that one phony soldier who has come under criticism lately (I forget his name) had already been out for a couple days and Rush had already talked about it. There was never any reason for anyone to conclude that Rush thought all opponents of the war were phony soldiers. He has never in my years of listening to him said anything to disparage genuine military personnel. Nor has he treated all war opponents as unpatriotic--he continues to treat conservative war opponents like William F. Buckley and Pat Buchanan with the same respect he did before the war. The whole idea that his "phony soldier" line was directed to all military opponents of the war, when it's in the midst of a news cycle about an actual phony soldier, and when it's contrary to the pattern of Rush's entire career, is nonsense.

murrayrothbard
10-03-2007, 08:47 AM
I usually end up catching Rush in the car going to and from lunch, pretty much everyday, and all this "Rush thinks every soldier that opposes the war is a phony soldier" is complete BS. I think Rush is wrong on a lot of things politically and economically, but this is totally made up. Don't get caught up in the hysteria. It's just a political ploy and you all that buy this stuff are falling for it.

IMO, Rush is far better than Hannity or Boortz or all the other douche bags.

Ninja Homer
10-03-2007, 09:00 AM
This is just blowback for the neocons making a big deal of the "General Betray Us" thing.

And the "General Betray Us" thing happened as a result of Bush putting a general in a political position because he didn't have the balls to do it himself.

erowe1
10-03-2007, 09:19 AM
This is just blowback for the neocons making a big deal of the "General Betray Us" thing.

And the "General Betray Us" thing happened as a result of Bush putting a general in a political position because he didn't have the balls to do it himself.

It isn't just neocons who had a problem with the "Betray us" slander. That was unconscionable. We have leftists who used to be for the war and now oppose it and pretend they always have and who want to treat Bush as a war criminal when their own foreign policy is just as interventionist as Bush's. Then we have principled non-interventionist paleo-conservatives who opposed the war from the beginning but who respect the military, who engage interventionists on the right and the left with respect and intellectual honesty, and won't get caught up in Bush-bashing just for scoring political points. Let's make sure we keep within the latter category. We don't stand to gain anything by joining ourselves with the leftist clowns. Also, for the sake of the campaign, we should recognize that Paul stands to get a lot of votes from conservatives who support the war because of his limited government stances. There's no need for us to make agreement with Paul on that issue a litmus test for supporting his candidacy.