PDA

View Full Version : 40 by 20 feet banner idea: is this worthwile / legal?

TechnoGuyRob
10-02-2007, 10:08 PM
I live in a city with 150,000 people. Yet, strangely, there's no Meetup groups for it, there's no activity about Ron Paul on the local campus, and there's, as far as I've seen, not much support for him.

So how do I fix this? Well, I could use guerilla tactics and just plaster the place with Ron Paul stickers, cards, slim jims, etc.

But how about something that a lot of people will notice, and most definitely notice? So I came up with the following idea. There is a very busy intersection that a good percentage of the town has to go through when getting to school/work. So, I was thinking of doing the following:

I will buy a bunch of bed sheets / plain old white sheets. I will sew them together, and finally add two long handles on each sides. The final dimensions will be about 40 feet wide by 20 feet tall, and the handles will be around 40 feet tall (meaning the banner will be 20 feet above the ground). On the busier street on this intersection, I will position the sign over the street (which is just about 40 feet wide--I'll take proper measurements), so that the banner is entirely across the street, and high enough so even trucks won't hit it. Then, I'll stand there from say 3-6 (rush hour) with a friend (each of us will hold one handle to prop up the sign), promoting Ron Paul.

What do you guys think? This is logistically viable. However, could I get in trouble in any way for this? I live in Naperville, Illinois, if that affects any laws that might concern such an idea...

EDIT: The banner will have airholes so that wind doesn't knock it over onto the street. There won't be a chance of the sign falling down.

tekkierich
10-02-2007, 10:11 PM
Start the MeetUP! It might take a month or so to "prime the pump" but you will get people to join.

Let me know if I can help you with ideas in setting it up.

Ozwest
10-02-2007, 10:13 PM
Don't do it on a windy day or you'll end up in Chicago. But yeah, why not.

risiusj
10-02-2007, 10:13 PM
You guys better be tall and strong.
That thing would catch so much wind.
Something that big would probably block a lot of view, becoming a hazard.
So, of course, someone would probably complain and the cops would make you move.

Better go with more traditional guerrilla tactics.

TechnoGuyRob
10-02-2007, 10:16 PM
Is there any cheap material that's transparent that I could use (kind of like projector slides)? Then I could just outline the words, and it won't really affect visibility.

Maybe a huge sign of clear plastic?

Ozwest
10-02-2007, 10:21 PM
Is there any cheap material that's transparent that I could use (kind of like projector slides)? Then I could just outline the words, and it won't really affect visibility.

Maybe a huge sign of clear plastic?

You can buy rolls of clear plastic of varying length and thickness. Check out Plant Nursery Suppliers.

McDermit
10-02-2007, 10:22 PM
Maybe try a 20x4 banner... and keep it at a more reasonable height, along a side instead of across the road?

The banner you want to make will almost certainly end up in the middle of the road. 40 feet? Unless you make the "handles" ladders that can stand on their own...

Razmear
10-02-2007, 10:30 PM
If you have the cash, consider buying bill board space at that intersection.
If your banner is obstructing the view of traffic signals, and I would guess that it would, then it would be illegal and you would be quickly removed from the intersection.

eb

Ozwest
10-02-2007, 10:39 PM
Build a frame for your sign using white irrigation pipe (25mm will do) and join vertical and horizontal supports together with elbow and T couplings. Glue plastic to pipe using clear PVC glue. Materials can be purchased at any Reticulation supplier for relatively minimal cost. Have the base of your frame touching the ground over the entire length of the sign to increase rigidity.

krott5333
10-02-2007, 10:44 PM
go to your local billboard company (Lamar or whatever), tell them you have a school project that requires a large sheet of vinyl and if they have any old vinyl they want to get rid of.

usually theyll donate a sheet or two. Take the entire sheet, make it into a banner, and then cut slits through the middle for wind to pass through, cuz a sheet of vinyl that big that isn't secured will blow like an SOB

Ozwest
10-02-2007, 10:45 PM
P.S. When you're finished with the sign use the materials to reticulate your garden. hehe.

TechnoGuyRob
10-02-2007, 10:47 PM
Wonderful! I never would've thought of this. :-)

I'll definitely at least hold it along the side of the road; but "over" the road (like a bridge) is not a good idea, then?

dircha
10-02-2007, 10:47 PM
On the busier street on this intersection, I will position the sign over the street (which is just about 40 feet wide--I'll take proper measurements), so that the banner is entirely across the street, and high enough so even trucks won't hit it.

Maybe this won't be a problem if you are on campus, but there is a mess of safety and liability issues if you are planning to run this sign actually over the street. Just giving you the heads up.

Hopefully there's someplace you can be just as effective on the side of the street, along a curve, or at at T.

If you want to run it over the street, you should probably check it out with the police first. And they're probably not going to settle for you just holding it up.

TechnoGuyRob
10-02-2007, 10:49 PM
Alright, thanks guys. I think it'll get just as much exposure if I hold it along the curve of the intersection. I'll ask the police first!

Ozwest
10-02-2007, 11:00 PM
If you have earth under your feet, drive star pickets into the ground at 6 foot intervals and tie your frame to the star pickets. When done, simply remove star pickets. Using this method, the sign will support itself, allowing you to take some pics... Any type of material can be glued to the frame... Build your frame in transportable sections and do final quick assembly on-site.