PDA

View Full Version : Audit the Fed Amendment Passes 43-26!

Magicman
11-19-2009, 05:56 PM
YouTube - Ron Paul HR1207 Committee Debate on Watt Amendment: Alan Grayson 11/19/2009 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9CcdiNs5F8&feature=player_embedded)

Audit the Fed Amendment Passes 43-26!

By tmartin • November 19, 2009

After a heated debate that lasted several hours, the Paul-Grayson “Audit the Fed” amendment passed 43-26 in the House Financial Services Committee earlier today. The amendment calls for a comprehensive audit of the Federal Reserve and replaces the opposing “placebo” amendment proposed by Mel Watt.

The Paul-Grayson initiative is an amendment to Barney Frank’s HR 3996, also known as the “Financial Stability Improvement Act of 2009″. The Committee was going to vote on that bill today, but Barney Frank surprisingly postponed the vote until after the Thanksgiving recess:

(Rep. Barney) Frank told the panel that most of the members pushing him to postpone the vote were members of the Congressional Black Caucus who said that the political environment wasn’t right for a vote this afternoon.

“It’s my understanding,..​” Frank said, “that the issues being addressed are not internal to this bill.” In other words, the Democrats were not expressing particular problems with the bill itself, but the larger problems in the economy made them reluctant to support a bill that could be portrayed as too friendly to Wall Street.

Ron Paul sent out the following press release shortly after the amendment passed:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Washington, D.C. – Congressman Ron Paul (TX-14) is pleased to announce that his and Congressman Grayson’s amendment based on HR 1207 has passed in the Financial Services Committee by a vote of 43-26 and will be included in major banking reform legislation.

The Paul/Grayson amendment:

* Removes the blanket restrictions on GAO audits of the Fed
* Allows audit of every item on the Fed’s balance sheet, all credit facilities, all securities purchase programs, etc.
* Retains limited audit exemption on unreleased transcripts and minutes
* Sets 180-day time lag before details of Fed’s market actions may be released
* States that nothing in the amendment shall be construed as interference in or dictation of monetary policy by Congress or the GAO

“While HR 3996, if passed, will grant sweeping new powers to the Federal Reserve, at least with this amendment attached, it won’t be acting in secret anymore. This is a major victory for Federal Reserve transparency and government accountability,..​” stated Congressman Paul.

How they voted (HR 1207 co-sponsors in bold):
AL-06 Rep. Spencer Bachus yay
CA-12 Rep. Jackie Speier yay
CA-22 Rep. Kevin McCarthy yay
CA-27 Rep. Brad Sherman yay
CA-35 Rep. Maxine Waters nay
CA-40 Rep. Edward R. Royce yay
CA-42 Rep. Gary G. Miller nay
CA-43 Rep. Joe Baca nay
CA-48 Rep. John Campbell yay
CO-07 Rep. Ed Perlmutter yay
CT-04 Rep. Jim Himes nay
DE-01 Rep. Michael N. Castle yay
FL-08 Rep. Alan Grayson yay
FL-12 Rep. Adam Putnam yay
FL-15 Rep. Bill Posey yay
FL-22 Rep. Ron Klein nay
FL-24 Rep. Suzanne Kosmas

GA-06 Rep. Tom Price yay
GA-13 Rep. David Scott yay
ID-01 Rep. Walt Minnick yay
IL-04 Rep. Luis V. Gutierrez nay
IL-08 Rep. Melissa L. Bean nay
IL-13 Rep. Judy Biggert yay
IL-14 Rep. Bill Foster nay
IL-16 Rep. Donald A. Manzullo yay
IN-02 Rep. Joe Donnelly nay
IN-07 Rep. Andre Carson nay
KS-02 Rep. Lynn Jenkins yay
KS-03 Rep. Dennis Moore nay
MA-04 Rep. Barney Frank nay
MA-08 Rep. Michael E. Capuano nay
MA-09 Rep. Stephen F. Lynch nay
MI-09 Rep. Gary Peters yay
MI-11 Rep. Thaddeus McCotter yay
MN-03 Rep. Erik Paulsen yay
MN-05 Rep. Keith Ellison nay
MN-06 Rep. Michele Bachmann yay
MO-01 Rep. William Lacy Clay yay
MO-05 Rep. Emanuel Cleaver nay
MS-01 Rep. Travis Childers yay
NC-03 Rep. Walter B. Jones yay
NC-10 Rep. Patrick T. McHenry yay
NC-12 Rep. Melvin L. Watt nay
NC-13 Rep. Brad Miller
nay
NH-02 Rep. Paul W. Hodes yay
NJ-03 Rep. John Adler yay
NJ-05 Rep. Scott Garrett yay
NJ-07 Rep. Leonard Lance yay
NY-03 Rep. Peter King yay
NY-04 Rep. Carolyn McCarthy yay
NY-05 Rep. Gary L. Ackerman nay
NY-06 Rep. Gregory W. Meeks nay
NY-12 Rep. Nydia M. Velázquez yay
NY-14 Rep. Carolyn B. Maloney nay
NY-25 Rep. Dan Maffei yay
NY-26 Rep. Christopher Lee yay
OH-01 Rep. Steve Driehaus yay
OH-06 Rep. Charles Wilson nay
OH-15 Rep. Mary Jo Kilroy nay
OK-03 Rep. Frank D. Lucas yay
PA-06 Rep. Jim Gerlach yay
PA-11 Rep. Paul E. Kanjorski
SC-03 Rep. J. Gresham Barrett yay
TX-05 Rep. Jeb Hensarling yay
TX-09 Rep. Al Green nay
TX-14 Rep. Ron Paul yay
TX-15 Rep. Rubén Hinojosa yay
TX-19 Rep. Randy Neugebauer yay
TX-24 Rep. Kenny Marchant yay
WI-04 Rep. Gwen Moore nay
WV-02 Rep. Shelley Moore Capito nay

LibertyEagle
11-19-2009, 06:07 PM
Link to source?

Chieftain1776
11-19-2009, 06:10 PM
Wow, Barney Frank voted against it and it passed. Good stuff :)

squarepusher
11-19-2009, 06:12 PM
w00000t

CasualApathy
11-19-2009, 06:15 PM
Victory!!!

CasualApathy
11-19-2009, 06:17 PM
Link to source?

Politico has the story.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1109/29734.html

Sarge
11-19-2009, 06:26 PM
Those voting against,

CA-43 Rep. Joe Baca nay
CT-04 Rep. Jim Himes nay
FL-22 Rep. Ron Klein nay
NC-13 Rep. Brad Miller
nay
TX-09 Rep. Al Green nay
WV-02 Rep. Shelley Moore Capito nay

Sarge
11-19-2009, 06:28 PM
There might be the 26th nay from Florida which did not say. Not positive just my best guess.

You know know the list.

Magicman
11-19-2009, 06:33 PM
This is a huge moment to be a Ron Paul supporter, congratulations all of you WE DID IT!

LIGHT OVERPOWERS DARKNESS, AND THE TRUTH SHALL SET US FREE!

Btw, Watt's nose is growing the second, he's a clear scumbag!

LBennett76
11-19-2009, 06:35 PM
Charlie Wilson sucks! I really hope/wish someone would run against him the next cycle. He held a healthcare phone townhall tonight. I listened for 10 minutes before hanging up because he basically said that no matter what he was voting for government health care. What's the point of having a townhall if you could care less what your constituents say and are voting a certain way regardless. DICKHEAD
Get him out now!!!!!
Sadly, he'll have no opponent in the next cycle and will keep his seat. Lifetime politician. His son holds the seat he used to hold in Ohio (appointed to then elected to). URG

american.swan
11-19-2009, 06:36 PM
Anyone have the "several hours of heated debate"? CSPAN ??? LinK???

CasualApathy
11-19-2009, 06:39 PM
Anyone have the "several hours of heated debate"? CSPAN ??? LinK???

It was being broadcast on c-span.

Austin
11-19-2009, 06:41 PM

...would love to see these two ousted.

itshappening
11-19-2009, 08:18 PM
who are potentially in trouble from that list? their opponents should be contacted and reminded that they voted AGAINST transparency for taxpayers

Catatonic
11-19-2009, 08:21 PM
I heard Paul say he's not entirely happy with this as the actual audit is very watered down. Anyone have the specifics?

Goldhunter27
11-19-2009, 08:44 PM
I see my congressmen Stephen Lynch voted nay. What a son of a bitch, I hope he rots.

Goldhunter27
11-19-2009, 08:45 PM
who are potentially in trouble from that list? their opponents should be contacted and reminded that they voted AGAINST transparency for taxpayers

Mike Capuano. I don't know if it will make a difference since it's in Ma.

KramerDSP
11-19-2009, 09:35 PM
Politico's take:

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1109/29734.html

The House Financial Services Committee has approved Rep. Ron Paul’s measure to drastically expand the government’s power to audit the Federal Reserve.

The measure, based on a Paul proposal that has attracted more than 300 co-sponsors, passed, 43-26, as an amendment to a financial reform bill. Florida Democrat and fellow Fed critic Alan Grayson co-sponsored the amendment with Paul and played a leading role drumming up support for it among committee members. The adoption of this amendment is an extraordinary victory for Paul, whose libertarian, anti-Fed leanings have often been dismissed by the political establishment.

Huffington Post's take:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/11/19/fed-beaten-bill-to-audit_n_364546.html

In an unprecedented defeat for the Federal Reserve, an amendment to audit the multi-trillion dollar institution was approved by the House Finance Committee with an overwhelming and bipartisan 43-26 vote on Thursday afternoon despite harried last-minute lobbying from top Fed officials and the surprise opposition of Chairman Barney Frank (D-Mass.), who had previously been a supporter.

A desperate, last-minute attempt to thwart the move came in the form of an amendment championed by Rep. Mel Watt (D-N.C.) and described by its supporters as more reasonable. On Tuesday, however, the Huffington Post reported that, on a close reading, his amendment would in fact decrease transparency at the Fed by adding additional restrictions.

The playbook in Washington often goes like this: When a measure that threatens the establishment builds enough momentum that it must be dealt with, it is labeled as "unserious." The Washington Post editorial board, true to the script, called Paul's measure "an unserious answer to a serious question."

And it particularly rankles the center that a pair of "wingnuts" are behind a successful effort to challenge the prevailing order.

"Today was Waterloo for Fed secrecy," a victorious Grayson said afterwards.

I'm giddy. The Revolution has come a long way. And Ronald Earnest Paul is one step closer to crippling, if not outright destroying, the third Central Bank of the United States and joining the ranks of Thomas Jefferson and Andrew Jackson. Unreal. Astounding. Stunning. And to cue Wolf Blitzer, "Amazing.... Amazing.....".

LibertyEagle
11-19-2009, 09:41 PM
You know, I have to give it to him, Mr. Grayson really came through on this. His speech summarizing the importance of this vote and the fact that he co-sponsored the legislation with Dr. Paul so that it appeared bipartisan. Hats off, Mr. Grayson. :)

KramerDSP
11-19-2009, 09:44 PM
If H.R. 1207 passes both the House and the Senate, and "Mr. Transparency" Obama vetoes the bill, isn't that the final nail in the coffin for Obama?

Ron Paul in 2008 was likely the second choice of many folks who voted for Obama because of his "anti-war" stance and transparency platform of change. Some of those folks will be thinking Obama is a shoo-in as the Democratic nominee in 2012, and would be willing to see RP become the Republican nominee. Only this time, he's CLEARLY (to the eyes of the masses) to the left of Obama on the wars and to the right of Obama on the Economy. Even more, Obama will have vetoed transparency efforts introduced into legislation by Paul. The debates would be so lopsided in RP's favor that it would be a cakewalk.

End The Wars. Save The Dollar. Ron Paul 2012.

LibertyEagle
11-19-2009, 09:48 PM
I'd much rather get it passed and signed. Obama is just a puppet and they can easily put in another one; while the FED has been a constant. If we can get the FED fully exposed for what it is, it will be striking the root. :)

Magicman
11-20-2009, 11:30 AM
Bump

georgiaboy
11-20-2009, 11:55 AM
End The Wars. Save The Dollar. Ron Paul 2012.

+1

Amazing that this committee vote is getting such attention across the MSM. Momentum shift?

georgiaboy
11-20-2009, 12:02 PM
btw, is anyone hearing anything on our conservative talk shows about this vote? Wonder how they'll react...

tremendoustie
11-20-2009, 12:08 PM
This is awesome :)

SWATH
11-20-2009, 12:11 PM
btw, is anyone hearing anything on our conservative talk shows about this vote? Wonder how they'll react...

I imagine there will be nothing about it. They are too busy telling us how Palin/Huckabee/Romney/Giuliani is the savior or "conservatism", and how KSM being tried in a civilian court will ruin the country.

Met Income
11-20-2009, 12:23 PM
Mike Capuano. I don't know if it will make a difference since it's in Ma.

I've interned for this man. I feel like writing a letter saying I regret ever working for him.

amonasro
11-20-2009, 12:26 PM

Probably won't even bring it up, as usual.

Sarge
12-16-2009, 04:07 PM
I was asked to correct my comment. Here is the correction.

Hi Sarge,

The "nay" vote tally you quoted from the thread starter at http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=219673 was a preliminary rush transcript that was briefly up at our site for reasons we are still investigating. We updated the tally with the final, accurate version, which is currently available at http://www.ronpaul.com/2009-11-19/au...-passes-43-26/

Please change your post as there are some important differences. E.g. the original version says that Brad Miller, an HR 1207 co-sponsor, voted no. In reality he was absent and did not vote.

Accurate tally of those who voted against:

PA-11 Rep. Paul E. Kanjorski nay
NY-12 Rep. Nydia M. Velázquez nay
NY-04 Rep. Carolyn McCarthy nay
TX-09 Rep. Al Green nay
MO-05 Rep. Emanuel Cleaver nay
FL-22 Rep. Ron Klein nay
CT-04 Rep. Jim Himes nay

Thank you, and sorry for the trouble,

Thank you for letting me know of the error.