PDA

View Full Version : Washington Times To Layoff Staff/Pro Ron Paul Paper

Primbs
11-19-2009, 11:19 AM
http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=116528

This DC newspaper had many pro Ron Paul pictures, stories, blimp stories, maybe the most in the US.

libertarian4321
11-19-2009, 11:30 AM
I used to subscribe to that paper years ago when I was stationed outside of DC.

It's suffering the fate that most/all newspapers will suffer in the coming years.

In an age when we can get instantaneous news 24/7 from thousands of sources online, there is just no need to wait for some kid to throw a big lump of paper on the doorstep once a day.

angelatc
11-19-2009, 11:38 AM
In January 2008, Editor in Chief Wesley Pruden retired and was replaced by Solomon, a veteran of the Associated Press and Washington Post. Shortly after, the paper announced it would stop using terms such as "illegal aliens" and "homosexual," complying with the same standards of political correctness found at most other daily news organizations.

Solomon resigned last week without explanation. Wow.

dannno
11-19-2009, 11:50 AM
Not to be confused with the Washington Post

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A5339-2002Mar22

From U.S., the ABC's of Jihad
Violent Soviet-Era Textbooks Complicate Afghan Education Efforts

By Joe Stephens and David B. Ottaway
Washington Post Staff Writers
Saturday, March 23, 2002; Page A01

In the twilight of the Cold War, the United States spent millions of dollars to supply Afghan schoolchildren with textbooks filled with violent images and militant Islamic teachings, part of covert attempts to spur resistance to the Soviet occupation.

The primers, which were filled with talk of jihad and featured drawings of guns, bullets, soldiers and mines, have served since then as the Afghan school system's core curriculum. Even the Taliban used the American-produced books, though the radical movement scratched out human faces in keeping with its strict fundamentalist code.

dannno
11-19-2009, 11:52 AM
Wow.

Sounds like an infiltrator from that bilderbergy group or whatever.

Chieftain1776
11-19-2009, 12:00 PM
I used to subscribe to that paper years ago when I was stationed outside of DC.

It's suffering the fate that most/all newspapers will suffer in the coming years.

In an age when we can get instantaneous news 24/7 from thousands of sources online, there is just no need to wait for some kid to throw a big lump of paper on the doorstep once a day.

Fortunately most of the dead-tree newspapers have a ridiculous left-wing editorial slant. At least the Washington Times will still have a fairly popular website and will probably still survive in paper form.

libertarian4321
11-19-2009, 01:10 PM
Fortunately most of the dead-tree newspapers have a ridiculous left-wing editorial slant. At least the Washington Times will still have a fairly popular website and will probably still survive in paper form.

The Washington Times was always a small player in the market. It's circulation was nowhere near the size of the Washington Post or Baltimore Sun. As a small player in a declining market, they are likely doomed soon.

If the Times is still delivering dead trees 5 years from now, I'd be shocked. The Post will hang on longer, but their time is limited, too.

I canceled my local newspaper subscription 5+ years ago. I canceled my WSJ subscription about 2 years ago. I saw no reason to pay money for old news in an environmentally unfriendly package when I could get up to date news for free without creating landfill clutter. I don't think I'm bucking the trend on this.