PDA

View Full Version : [VIDEO] ~ Cop driving 94mph with no lights/sirens hits car killing 2 kids...

Reason
11-18-2009, 07:23 PM
(AP) - Police have released a videotape of a June police cruiser crash that killed two Connecticut teens. The officer was driving 94 miles per hour and was not on an emergency call. He's been charged with manslaughter. (Nov. 18)

YouTube - Raw Video: Cop Crashes Into Car Killing 2 Teens (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DREC97JZSdo)

dannno
11-18-2009, 07:33 PM
Whoa.. kinda like the Volkswagen commercials..

maqsur
11-18-2009, 07:35 PM
F'ing idiot cop, man. Holy shit, that was crazy video. Rest in peace, those teenagers.

Brings up two points in my mind: one, obviously speeding is extremely dangerous (especially in local roads), and two, people need to use their stupid turn signals. It looked like the teens were trying to make a quick turn but obviously didn't judge how fast the cop was going.

Sad, sad, sad.

0zzy
11-18-2009, 07:39 PM
good for them, charging him with manslaughter. deserves to be in prison for life. two kids? :[

Dreamofunity
11-18-2009, 07:41 PM
I see cops drive like that all the time here, pisses me off.

purplechoe
11-18-2009, 07:42 PM
Had those been my kids in that car, that police officer better go into hiding! :mad:

Grimnir Wotansvolk
11-18-2009, 07:46 PM
I've seen cops blatantly use their lights as an excuse to speed. Piggy could have at least done that.

GunnyFreedom
11-18-2009, 08:07 PM
agree with everyone else, PLUS this cop sucks at high speed driving. In the above scenario, hitting brakes is less than useless. He should have gone left. He had fully three seconds to react, his brakes were on about 1.5 seconds. It takes less time to turn than brake, and braking was clearly useless in this case. Would have had 2 sec worth of 'turn' and avoided the collision altogether. If he had sucky reaction time and failure to implement decisions, he would at least have hit them in the trunk and not killed them.

This reminds me of all those times I have heard cops claiming that only they can drive fast because they have been trained. Or that cop that said that he was the only one in the room professional enough to handle the Glock 40 (BAM!).

Fact is, this collision was completely avoidable, and certainly diminishable even by someone with slow reaction times -- if he had the first clue WTF he was doing.

ANYBODY with any kind of track/high-speed driving experience would know NOT to hit the brakes, and TO go left in this situation! :mad: :mad: :mad:

ETA - when I watched the vid, the instant I saw brake lights my whole brain went "OMG NO!"

LibertyMage
11-18-2009, 08:58 PM
We are here for your protection.

FSP-Rebel
11-18-2009, 09:17 PM
Hi, we're from the government and we're here to help (you into a jail cell) or in this case, take you down well before your prime.

puppetmaster
11-18-2009, 09:44 PM
+1
Had those been my kids in that car, that police officer better go into hiding! :mad:

brandon
11-18-2009, 09:53 PM
Well, the driver of the other car did cut the cop off even though there was a clear view of him coming...

youngbuck
11-18-2009, 09:57 PM
Well, the driver of the other car did cut the cop off even though there was a clear view of him coming...

Had not cop not been speeding at such a reckless rate, he wouldn't have been cut off.

brandon
11-18-2009, 10:34 PM
Had not cop not been speeding at such a reckless rate, he wouldn't have been cut off.

I agree... I'm just saying both people were driving poorly. You look for oncoming traffic before making a left turn at a big intersection.

qh4dotcom
11-19-2009, 02:21 AM
Bump

pahs1994
11-19-2009, 02:46 AM
Cops in my area drive with thier lights off and then flick them on and off for a split second as they run the red lights...

Kludge
11-19-2009, 03:43 AM
I agree... I'm just saying both people were driving poorly. You look for oncoming traffic before making a left turn at a big intersection.

Yeah..... Damn, I can't imagine timing that any worse... And now the families have the kids' deaths posted on the internet. Hope they somehow get comfort and not distress from it. Maybe someone will reconsider what they're doing to be more careful after watching. Almost certainly would have been averted had the cops at least turned on their lights, though. Awful carelessness.

devil21
11-19-2009, 03:54 AM

Do you realize how fast a car going 94 comes up on you at night when you're damn near stopped making a turn??? The cruiser's headlights were very distant when the turn was started. No emergency lights was the problem here. Did either cop have lights on? Didnt look like it. The video cop should be charged too. He could have prevented that accident IF he had his emergency lights on too. ....but I guess "accomplice" charges given to people that witness a crime but do not act to prevent it are only for the commoners. If it was two street racers doing this they both would have been charged with manslaughter.

Just watched it a few times. The video cop's lights come on AFTER he stops. He's just as guilty as the cop that hit the kids.

qh4dotcom
11-19-2009, 10:23 AM
Let me remind you all folks that U.S cops have killed much less innocent civilians than the U.S military.

When a cop kills an innocent civilian like in this video, it becomes a big scandal and the cop is supposed to go to jail, when a soldier kills an innocent Iraqi or Afghan civilian he's supposed to be a hero because he's defending our freedoms. Go figure.

I hope this cop goes to jail for a long time but I'm just tired of the hypocrisy of folks who hate cops and adore the military.

brandon
11-19-2009, 10:28 AM
Do you realize how fast a car going 94 comes up on you at night when you're damn near stopped making a turn???

Pause it at :13 seconds before the driver starts turning. The cop was right in the other drivers face. Why the hell did he make the turn??

angelatc
11-19-2009, 10:37 AM

ETA: OK - I have changed my mind. The asshole cops were drag racing. Disregard everything after this.
http://www.connpost.com/ci_13755269

************************************************** ***************************************
I hate cops with every bone in my body, but I don't think much of charging people with manslaughter as the result of a traffic accident either.

Assuming the light was flashing yellow, those kids bore at least some of the responsibility for the accident.

When you're driving, especially around 2:00 in the morning, you always have to watch for idiots driving badly. That includes speeding.

ETA - It might be harder to figure out how fast oncoming traffic is coming up on the intersection when you've spent the evening playing beer pong. http://www.connpost.com/ci_13817417

This is a tragedy. A horrible accident. I'm just not big on punishing anybody here.

fisharmor
11-19-2009, 10:54 AM
Pause it at :13 seconds before the driver starts turning. The cop was right in the other drivers face. Why the hell did he make the turn??

This is why....

When you're driving, especially around 2:00 in the morning, you always have to watch for idiots driving badly. That includes speeding.

I think the important word here is "teenagers".
One car has very young, inexperienced people in it, who probably took it on good faith that the oncoming traffic was not doing roughly double the speed limit.
The other car had an ostensibly experienced, trained individual behind the wheel, doing roughly double the speed limit.

If this wasn't a cop, He'd get locked up for life.
My money says he gets two weeks unpaid vacation and a new squad car.

Also, the soldier analogy doesn't work. The soldier's job definition is "kill people and break things". You can't hold them accountable like you can the cop... they're doing their defined job. The cop is actively doing the thing he was hired to stop.

fisharmor
11-19-2009, 10:57 AM
Plus, I'd be really surprised if they could prove there wasn't alcohol involved.
The cop starts in the far right of the lane, weaves over to the far left, then corrects pretty sharply right before hitting the brake.

RevolutionSD
11-19-2009, 11:06 AM
(AP) - Police have released a videotape of a June police cruiser crash that killed two Connecticut teens. The officer was driving 94 miles per hour and was not on an emergency call. He's been charged with manslaughter. (Nov. 18)

YouTube - Raw Video: Cop Crashes Into Car Killing 2 Teens (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DREC97JZSdo)

So sad. Typical of police behavior too. They are above the law.

Again, who watches the watchers? Our ridiculous system of government must come to an end.

2young2vote
11-19-2009, 02:34 PM
They are buried next to each other :( this is a pretty sad story. I always hate it when someone gets hurt because another person was just being reckless and not paying attention.