PDA

View Full Version : Sarah Palin Newsweek Cover: "Sexist"

Eric Arthur Blair
11-17-2009, 11:43 AM
http://images.huffingtonpost.com/gen/119277/original.jpg

Sarah Palin took to Facebook Monday night to declare the Newsweek cover depicting her in runner's shorts as "sexist."

In a Facebook note to her almost 1 million fans, Palin said that Newsweek's choice of photo — which she shot for Runner's World magazine — was "unfortunate." Her full comments:

The choice of photo for the cover of this week's Newsweek is unfortunate. When it comes to Sarah Palin, this "news" magazine has relished focusing on the irrelevant rather than the relevant. The Runner's World magazine one-page profile for which this photo was taken was all about health and fitness - a subject to which I am devoted and which is critically important to this nation. The out-of-context Newsweek approach is sexist and oh-so-expected by now. If anyone can learn anything from it: it shows why you shouldn't judge a book by its cover, gender, or color of skin. The media will do anything to draw attention - even if out of context.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/11/17/sarah-palin-newsweek-cove_n_360334.html

ctiger2
11-17-2009, 11:50 AM
I don't care what she has to say about anything... Nice Legs!

constituent
11-17-2009, 12:02 PM
damn, she looks hot in that pic.

she's just trying to make sure no one misses it. sexist, right...

lester1/2jr
11-17-2009, 12:03 PM
I don't like sarah palin but what a completely obnoxious headline

Cowlesy
11-17-2009, 12:10 PM

I am no Sarah Palin fan, but I completely agree with you on that. Those people at Newsweek are such asses.

ClayTrainor
11-17-2009, 12:29 PM

+1

KAYA
11-17-2009, 12:44 PM
She is one hot politician.

kahless
11-17-2009, 12:48 PM
Not a fan but she must be doing something right to be so viciously attacked all the time by the left. Newsweak does not have an ounce of credibility.

Icymudpuppy
11-17-2009, 12:54 PM
Can I get that poster sized?

roho76
11-17-2009, 12:58 PM
Not a fan but she must be doing something right to be so viciously attacked all the time by the left.

It's this that gives me that awful feeling that the conservative base will rally around her in a new party and they will have effectively tarnished a rising third party. It will be the GOP with a different name.

tremendoustie
11-17-2009, 12:59 PM
Not a fan but she must be doing something right to be so viciously attacked all the time by the left. Newsweak does not have an ounce of credibility.

Did Bush have to do anything right to get visciously attacked by the left? I rest my case.

The red teamers and blue teamers are at each other's throats continuously. I think sometimes the only time they tell the truth is when they're trashing each other.

Krugerrand
11-17-2009, 01:05 PM
Did Bush have to do anything right to get visciously attacked by the left? I rest my case.

The red teamers and blue teamers are at each other's throats continuously. I think sometimes the only time they tell the truth is when they're trashing each other.

While you're case is resting ... consider that much of Bush's support on the right probably was a response to his being attacked by the left. The enemy of my enemy is my friend. That's why so may on the right opposed Clinton's wars and now Oppose Obama's war ... but Bush's war was okay.

I'm not saying it's sound logic ... just observing.

reduen
11-17-2009, 01:19 PM
How else do you think that this woman has gotten where she is now...? I will give you a hint. (It is not her brains....)

Why a woman who has used her body to gain recognition all of her life would suddenly be against this sort of thing is beyond me. Wait, maybe she has seen the light.... :rolleyes:

Palin is a joke and everyone really knows it. Nothing more than another good looking bimbo who shook her tail all the way to the top!

(oh, but she is sooo folksy....!) ;)

GunnyFreedom
11-17-2009, 01:25 PM
While you're case is resting ... consider that much of Bush's support on the right probably was a response to his being attacked by the left. The enemy of my enemy is my friend. That's why so may on the right opposed Clinton's wars and now Oppose Obama's war ... but Bush's war was okay.

Well, I for one firmly believe that the false-paradigm left intentionally picks weak candidates to attack, in order to make the false-paradigm right rally around the easier to defeat candidates.

pahs1994
11-17-2009, 01:27 PM
Can I get that poster sized?

lol

Light
11-17-2009, 01:33 PM
Well, I for one firmly believe that the false-paradigm left intentionally picks weak candidates to attack, in order to make the false-paradigm right rally around the easier to defeat candidates.

I agree with this fully.

As to the Palin cover, I am not fan of her and do not support her, however, how blantant can Newsweek be with their bias? Its like the left-wing news sources are no longer trying to hide their biases. I just hope for the day that they are discredited as being biased and untrustworthy just as much as Fox News is. Unfortunately, there exists a double-standard in media in which left-wing bias = non-biases, and right-wing bias = non-news.

JamesButabi
11-17-2009, 01:34 PM
If she really wants to "Go Rogue" she should redo this topless.

Krugerrand
11-17-2009, 01:56 PM

astute observation.

lester1/2jr
11-17-2009, 02:04 PM
tacky, shoots itself in the foot, makes you like her.

not hard to believe the old media is going out of business with geniuses like these guys attempting to hold up the status quo

KAYA
11-17-2009, 02:42 PM
How else do you think that this woman has gotten where she is now...? I will give you a hint. (It is not her brains....)

Why a woman who has used her body to gain recognition all of her life would suddenly be against this sort of thing is beyond me. Wait, maybe she has seen the light.... :rolleyes:

Palin is a joke and everyone really knows it. Nothing more than another good looking bimbo who shook her tail all the way to the top!

riiight...

Brian4Liberty
11-17-2009, 03:25 PM
http://images.huffingtonpost.com/gen/119277/original.jpg

"Wot's wrong with being sexy?" - Nigel Tufnel

Brian4Liberty
11-17-2009, 03:35 PM
tacky, shoots itself in the foot, makes you like her.

No kidding. If they keep this up, I may become a Palin supporter. :D Are they trying to use reverse psychology or something?

The bias and venom pushed by Newsweek with that headline is ridiculous.

Danke
11-17-2009, 03:37 PM
http://www.houseospeed.com/catalog/AF21bigbad_wolf.jpg

RonPaulFanInGA
11-17-2009, 03:56 PM

Honestly if she was a man named Sammy Palin, and had the same exact track record, political stances, experience, on-the-record statements, etc.....would this Sammy Palin have been picked as McCain's VP? Would anyone really think of him as a candidate for 2012?

Palin's femininity is the reason she is a national figure so I don't know why she'd be complaining here.

Brian4Liberty
11-17-2009, 04:18 PM
Honestly if she was a man named Sammy Palin, and had the same exact track record, political stances, experience, on-the-record statements, etc.....would this Sammy Palin have been picked as McCain's VP? Would anyone really think of him as a candidate for 2012?

You mean Dan Quayle? ;)

Bonus points to the person that knows the connection without googling. :D

Liberty Star
11-17-2009, 05:04 PM

Palin's femininity is the reason she is a national figure so I don't know why she'd be complaining here.

Moderate senator McCain has been on the record saying that he would have picked Palin as Veep even if she looked liked Susan Boyle as long as she had same political stances and smarts. Noeocon-evangie GOP base that she was bait for are no dummies with fetish for hot mammas and cheap oil for gas guzzlers, they were sold on her political vision:

http://static.thehollywoodgossip.com/images/gallery/hot-susan-boyle-pic.jpg

WClint
11-17-2009, 05:16 PM
Imagine how much the left would lose it if a female non-feminist got to become president before theres did. It would cause a tremendous paradigm shift, young women would realize that they dont forgo having children to become successful and "happy". Its similar to the race to the moon against the soviets if you ask me.

Liberty Star
11-17-2009, 05:22 PM
I admire Palin as a mom and familial agent, politically I don't have high opion of her as a leader seeking high office just as any good neighbor or good family unit symbol can't be the best candidate for highest office just on that account.
Newsweek/MSNBC sisterly crooks are not much better at offering political insights or education, they just are good at propaganda game. Having seen Palin's hanging out with Iraqi civilians while close to 50 Million Americans are going hungary, not sure I'll lose any sleep if she's attacked by NW crooks.

Liberty Star
11-17-2009, 05:48 PM
Lil off topic, I was under the impression that GOP had all the hot babes, but yesterday I caught a glimpse of this woman on Larry King, she had such poise when she was going after Palin. Never seen her before, anyone knows if she's libertarian by any chance:

http://newsrealblog.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/naomiwolf1.jpg

I just repeated above some of her views on Palin I just realized. Her name is Naomi Wolf.

MelissaWV
11-17-2009, 05:53 PM
Oh she almost got me. I admit it. I wasn't going to rally to her side, but I thought "God what a sleazy thing... to take a picture she posed for in a runners' magazine and plaster it on the cover... so out of context".

I thought that, until I looked at the cover.

In the lower left of the cover, if anyone had cared to look, it clearly states where the photo came from. How's it out of context? The answer is: it isn't. It's another non-issue to try to bring people to her side of things, just as her book and all her interviews are panning out.

Grimnir Wotansvolk
11-17-2009, 06:03 PM
I just repeated above some of her views on Palin I just realized. Her name is Naomi Wolf.She actually made an appearance on Lew Rockwell's show a while back: America's Slow Motion Fascist Coup (http://www.lewrockwell.com/podcast/?p=episode&name=2008-10-30_058_americas_slow_motion_fascist_coup.mp3)

Obviously more of a progressive, but appears to be very friendly to libertarianism, and just hasn't had the opportunity to hear much of it.

GunnyFreedom
11-17-2009, 06:06 PM
Isn't/wasn't Wolfe an Obamazombie?

Liberty Star
11-17-2009, 06:09 PM
She actually made an appearance on Lew Rockwell's show a while back: America's Slow Motion Fascist Coup (http://www.lewrockwell.com/podcast/?p=episode&name=2008-10-30_058_americas_slow_motion_fascist_coup.mp3)

Obviously more of a progressive, but appears to be very friendly to libertarianism, and just hasn't had the opportunity to hear much of it.

That's the impression I was getting too from quick look up, seems in the feminist/libertarian mold at least from what I saw of her views. She attacked Palin for being part of "Bush/Cheney Cabal", supporting torture etc on LK last night.

Oh she almost got me. I admit it. I wasn't going to rally to her side, but I thought "God what a sleazy thing... to take a picture she posed for in a runners' magazine and plaster it on the cover... so out of context".

I thought that, until I looked at the cover.

In the lower left of the cover, if anyone had cared to look, it clearly states where the photo came from. How's it out of context? The answer is: it isn't. It's another non-issue to try to bring people to her side of things, just as her book and all her interviews are panning out.

You mean you read the small caption too and not just looked at her pic like most of us :)

Isn't/wasn't Wolfe an Obamazombie?

That would be interesting as Obama and Palin are on same page on most issues.

Palin apparently blasted McCain camp on Oprah yesterday for not letting her give concession speech on the night Obama won and not let her give her message of "united we stand" to Obama. Had no idea she wanted to be united with Obama and his people on the same night McCain and she lost to him.

GunnyFreedom
11-17-2009, 06:30 PM
Why Barack Obama Got My Vote (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/naomi-wolf/why-barack-obama-got-my-v_1_b_89017.html) by Naomi Wolfe February 28, 2008

Which is why I am formally coming out of the closet with my support for Senator Barack Obama. Of all the candidates running now, he is the leader on understanding the threat to the Constitution and actually taking action, not just mouthing soundbites, on the need to deny torturers space in our nation and to restore the rule of law.
Really, Naomi?

Maybe she has buyers remorse, but it's still "all Bush's fault" and Obama is just "not working fast enough"

YouTube - Naomi Wolf: 'Obama can lock any US citizen up without trial' (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLSeD19m3UE)

Sorry, Naomi is a partisan hack who actually knows how to say the right thing, but when the rubber meets the road, she supports the tyranny so long as it promotes Democrats and Liberals.

For heaven's sake WHY is she giving Obama a pass? the impression I get from this vid is "Oh yeah, Obama is doing a lot of evil things, like this, this, and this, but it's all Bush's fault because he's just not dismantling Bush's policies quickly enough."

Yeah, she makes noises like she agrees with us, but in the end it's just a misdirection of the liberal libertarians into the arms of tyranny. Forget this shill.

speciallyblend
11-17-2009, 06:30 PM
palin is no friend to liberty or the ron paul movement. if people fall for the palin crap. then they fall for the same ole neo-con bs again. will the gop ever wake up?? if palin does start a 3rd party . then i hope it stays a marginalized 3rd party! Palin couldn't buy my vote!

Zippyjuan
11-17-2009, 06:33 PM
Why did Newsweek waste their cover on Palin in the first place?

surf
11-17-2009, 07:05 PM
i just want to say one thing: shorts w/nylons looks bad.

tonyTheBest
11-17-2009, 07:25 PM
palin is no friend to liberty or the ron paul movement. if people fall for the palin crap. then they fall for the same ole neo-con bs again. will the gop ever wake up?? if palin does start a 3rd party . then i hope it stays a marginalized 3rd party! Palin couldn't buy my vote!

Please remember this, The neocons and the republicans are out there to attack her because she is an anti-establishment. Look at the WJS and the WashingtonPost today. They both attack her.

Only the conservatives support her and Ron Paul supports conservative candidates.

Think people.

forsmant
11-17-2009, 07:26 PM
i just want to say one thing: shorts w/nylons looks bad.

Who is wearing nylons?

RM918
11-17-2009, 07:38 PM
Please remember this, The neocons and the republicans are out there to attack her because she is an anti-establishment. Look at the WJS and the WashingtonPost today. They both attack her.

Only the conservatives support her and Ron Paul supports conservative candidates.

Think people.

What kind of ridiculous logic is this! Osama Bin Laden is anti-establishment, too, but I don't see anyone rallying around him for 2012. Has your hate for the 'establishment' grown so vicious that you'd rally around any common rock they direct their ire toward just for your own self-satisfaction?

She has proven herself about as anti-establishment as Obama was anti-establishment. To believe otherwise with absolutely no evidence to the contrary, is simply falling for everything Obama pulled on the Dems last year and proving us all the fool.

If this sort of thought prevails, and very unfortunately it continues to do so, I have no hope for this country. We may as well pack our bags and move to Tibet.

TheConstitutionLives
11-17-2009, 10:31 PM

It makes my head spin.

Brian4Liberty
11-17-2009, 11:49 PM
it clearly states where the photo came from.

Clearly? I better get my eyes checked... I never saw a full-size pic of the cover, and the smaller versions were not readable.

Why does a small caption forgive the overall effect?

Brian4Liberty
11-17-2009, 11:52 PM
The neocons and the republicans are out there to attack her because she is an anti-establishment.

Sorry. She was a neo-con candidate, discovered and backed by neo-conservatives.

Brian4Liberty
11-17-2009, 11:54 PM
You mean Dan Quayle? ;)

Bonus points to the person that knows the connection without googling. :D

Hint: name the adviser that Dan Quayle and Sarah Palin have in common...

purplechoe
11-18-2009, 04:55 AM
What kind of ridiculous logic is this! Osama Bin Laden is anti-establishment, too, but I don't see anyone rallying around him for 2012. Has your hate for the 'establishment' grown so vicious that you'd rally around any common rock they direct their ire toward just for your own self-satisfaction?

She has proven herself about as anti-establishment as Obama was anti-establishment. To believe otherwise with absolutely no evidence to the contrary, is simply falling for everything Obama pulled on the Dems last year and proving us all the fool.

If this sort of thought prevails, and very unfortunately it continues to do so, I have no hope for this country. We may as well pack our bags and move to Tibet.

http://www.puppiesandflowers.com/blogimages/09/04/applause.gif

libertarian4321
11-18-2009, 08:30 AM
What kind of ridiculous logic is this! Osama Bin Laden is anti-establishment, too, but I don't see anyone rallying around him for 2012.

Yeah, Osama is anti-establishment, and they are both religious zealots, but Osama doesn't have that cutesy wink that Palin has.

RM918
11-18-2009, 08:32 AM
Yeah, Osama is anti-establishment, and they are both religious zealots, but Osama doesn't have that cutesy wink that Palin has.

I don't know, have you ever seen him wink?

angelatc
11-18-2009, 09:07 AM

Well, that pretty much explains how you've gotten so far in life.

AuH20
11-18-2009, 09:13 AM
If Palin didn't run with McCain, she could have bern president. She's tarnished and exposed by the entire incident. We all see her motives.

krazy kaju
11-18-2009, 09:54 AM
Newsweek has lost all respect as a news organization.

angelatc
11-18-2009, 10:15 AM
If Palin didn't run with McCain, she could have bern president. She's tarnished and exposed by the entire incident. We all see her motives.

Half of us would have voted for her because she said something halfway respectful of Ron Paul.

reduen
11-18-2009, 10:37 AM
Well, that pretty much explains how you've gotten so far in life.

You will have to explain youreself a bit more for me to understand this one.

Palin made her way up as a beauty queen right? Was she not "Mrs. Alaska"?

Maybe it is her Bachelor's degree in communications with an emphasis in journalism that qualifies her.

Beauty queen, then sportscaster, then Governor of Alaska..... (Maybe it was her brains that made her so popular after all ....) lol :rolleyes:

Angel, you have got to be joking. Please go watch her interviews during the presidential campaign again......

reduen
11-18-2009, 10:39 AM
Half of us would have voted for her because she said something halfway respectful of Ron Paul.

You don't mind that she is still 100% for the wars going on right now?

MelissaWV
11-18-2009, 11:03 AM
Clearly? I better get my eyes checked... I never saw a full-size pic of the cover, and the smaller versions were not readable.

Why does a small caption forgive the overall effect?

I saw it just fine, and the "overall effect" is taking a photograph with all rights reserved, for which the person posed for, and slapping a nonsense headline with it. Big deal. If she felt the photo itself was offensive, she probably should not have posed for it. If she feels the context is offensive, she has a right to gripe (and she did). However, I certainly see it as another chance to whine and make much ado about nothing, and draw attention to herself.

It seems to be working.

I read, by the way, the disclaimer on the cover at the size it was posted in this thread. It's in the lower left. Yes, you might consider getting your eyes checked ;)

Brian4Liberty
11-18-2009, 11:25 AM
I saw it just fine, and the "overall effect" is taking a photograph with all rights reserved, for which the person posed for, and slapping a nonsense headline with it. ... If she feels the context is offensive, she has a right to gripe (and she did).
I read, by the way, the disclaimer on the cover at the size it was posted in this thread. It's in the lower left. Yes, you might consider getting your eyes checked ;)

Yeah she had a right to gripe. The MSM portrays themselves as being different from the National Enquirer, so when they start doing that, their credibility deserves a good knock.

There is no doubt my eyes are going! No matter how hard I squint, I can't read the small text in that cover pic. :eek:

idirtify
11-19-2009, 02:51 AM
Why is so much attention paid to SP? I don’t get it. Why is she always in the news, and who the FUCK is buying her book??? And after looking at that picture, I get it even less. I mean her face isn’t bad, but her legs are short and dumpy. “Beauty-queen” my ass! “Hot” my ass! (Hey Sarah, how’s that for some REAL sexism? Feel free to put me on your ever-growing list of people you claim need to apologize to you.)

All she has is a loud voice and a big TV-face. And her personality reminds me of your common everyday neurotic-on-zoloft who has been pharmacologically rendered unable to be embarrassed or ashamed. I mean there are things worse than depression (at least for the rest of us).

Maybe she is really a genius and is using a variant of “any press is good press”. Just look at the size of this thread. Most people dislike her, but proceed to talk about her and keep her in the public eye. Everyone has something to say about her, so her big fat face keeps popping back up and skwalking away. Mea culpa too.

But again, what in god’s name would compel anyone to buy a book from Sarah Palin? Does she represent some kind of role model to some people? If so, what kind? And to what kind of people?