PDA

View Full Version : Campbell takes Silicon Valley (defeats Peg Whitman)

Brian4Liberty
11-16-2009, 09:18 PM
http://www.mercurynews.com/bay-area-news/ci_13802741?source=rss

Campbell takes Silicon Valley in new San Jose State poll

Ken McLaughlin

kmclaughlin@mercurynews.com
Posted: 11/16/2009 06:09:47 PM PST

Tom Campbell, Silicon Valley's onetime Golden Boy, is still, well, golden.

In a San Jose State University poll released Monday, Campbell, a former Silicon Valley congressman seeking the GOP nomination for governor, crushed his competition — former eBay chief Meg Whitman and state Insurance Commissioner Steve Poizner, a valley entrepreneur.

Among 200 Silicon Valley Republicans who indicated they were likely to vote in the June primary, Campbell won the poll with 39 percent. Eleven percent preferred Whitman; 7 percent chose Poizner. Forty-one percent were still undecided.

The survey, conducted from Sept. 29 to Oct. 7, was part of a telephone poll of 765 Silicon Valley adults by SJSU's Survey and Policy Research Institute. The Republican sample has a margin of error of plus or minus 6.93 percentage points.

Campbell has been a fixture on the Silicon Valley political scene since David Packard and other valley heavyweights supported his first run for Congress. That was in 1988, two years after Campbell became a tenured law professor at Stanford at age 34.

The fiscally conservative but socially moderate Republican, now 57, spent 10 years in Congress and later served as a state senator, state finance director and dean of UC-Berkeley's Haas School of Business.

Ironically, he's now the only major GOP candidate who doesn't live in the valley. He now resides in Orange County, where he is a visiting professor at Chapman School of Law. Whitman lives in Atherton, Poizner in Los Gatos.

Whitman, who started advertising heavily on radio in late September, had led most recent polls. A recent statewide Los Angeles Times and University of Southern California poll had her beating Campbell 35 percent to 27 percent, with Poizner at 10 percent.

"It's not ideological,'' pollster Jamie Fisfis, Campbell's spokesman, said of the SJSU survey. "It's about the fact that the more you get to know Tom, the more you like him. And these are the people who know Tom the best. He's always been a straightforward, honest broker, and you're seeing the results of that.''

Larry Gerston, a San Jose State political science professor, cited two reasons Campbell came out on top:

"He is by far the most grounded in terms of history in Silicon Valley, and people know him as an elected official. And he also has an interesting combination of values. He's pro-choice, pro-gay-marriage and fits in much better in Silicon Valley and the Bay Area than in other parts of the state.''

Bill Whalen, a former speechwriter for Republican Gov. Pete Wilson, agreed.

Now a research fellow at Stanford's Hoover Institution, Whalen said his fellow fellows at the conservative think tank divide their support among Campbell, Whitman and Poizner. "But there's a lot of warmth with Tom Campbell,'' he said.

Although there are pockets of staunch conservatives in Silicon Valley, Whalen said, the typical Republican here is a centrist — concerned about fiscal responsibility and holding the line on taxes and government regulation, but also serious about making sure education is properly funded.

Although Whitman is something of a Silicon Valley icon, "the Republicans voters may know her as CEO of eBay, but not as a candidate,'' he said. "They know Campbell for his public service and as a candidate.'

Whitman's spokeswoman, Sarah Pompei, said of the poll:

"As a result of her commitment to grow jobs and cut wasteful government spending, Meg is leading the statewide race by a growing margin, but we know we'll need to work hard to win votes in Silicon Valley."

The three-way race is expected to change dramatically in January after Poizner, who earned his fortune putting GPS technology into cell phones, begins his own advertising blitz.

And that's the reason Campbell, whose fundraising still hasn't topped a million dollars and who still personally answers questions on the Internet, is still seen as a dark horse.

Whalen described him as "the dream candidate'' who believes that somehow you can stick out in a crowd by "taking a hands-on approach and saying what you mean and meaning what you say — and that you will be rewarded by the voters.''

But, he added, political dreams don't always work out.

angelatc
11-16-2009, 09:46 PM
The fiscally conservative but socially moderate Republican,

read, "Neocon."

Bman
11-16-2009, 09:49 PM
read, "Neocon."

OH PLEASE!!! I don't know if this guy may be a Neocon, but being socially moderate has nothing to do with being a Neocon.

klamath
11-16-2009, 10:03 PM
A bailout supporter. He won't get my vote.

Bman
11-16-2009, 10:04 PM

^ this starts to imply neocon.

South Park Fan
11-16-2009, 10:55 PM
OH PLEASE!!! I don't know if this guy may be a Neocon, but being socially moderate has nothing to do with being a Neocon.

That may be true, but for some reason that is what the MSM mean when they talk about "fiscal conservatives, social moderates", even though their policy may have absolutely nothing to do with fiscal conservatism or social moderation. Take Rudy Giuliani as an example.

Brian4Liberty
11-17-2009, 12:13 PM
fiscally conservative but socially moderate Republican,

read, "Neocon."

lol! Campbell a neo-con? You might want to ask Ron Paul his opinion first...

That usually reads "libertarian". (At least it used to). The vast majority of neo-con politicians (Rudy aside) hide behind the "family values" banner (read: anti-gay, anti-abortion). For the neo-conservative intellectuals, they could care less, and "family values" is a convenient red herring to bring people to their cause. The neo-cons have no problem dropping the social conservative pretense when they need to (i.e. Rudy).

More on Campbell:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Campbell_%28California_politician%29

Campbell led a group of seventeen bipartisan members of Congress who filed a lawsuit against President Bill Clinton in 1999 over his conduct of the war in Kosovo. In the filing, they accused Clinton of not reporting to Congress within 48 hours on the status of the action as required by the 1973 War Powers Resolution and not first obtaining a declaration of war from Congress as required in the Constitution.

http://original.antiwar.com/bock/2000/11/01/colombia-ignored-in-campaign/

Tom Campbell told us in recent editorial board meeting, "I don’t know of any American who seriously believes we can solve America’s drug problem by fighting a foreign war,"

http://www.antiwar.com/bock/b101800.html

The embargo against Iraq has come under a certain amount of criticism in the United States, from Arab-Americans, human-rights organizations and the occasional political figure, like California Republican Senatorial candidate Tom Campbell.

http://www.antiwar.com/justin/diaries/diary30.html

While I was a little hard on Rep. Tom Campbell for introducing a resolution to declare war, alongside his resolution to withdraw all U.S. forces from the war zone, I had a change of heart while watching the whole bizarre procedure on CSPAN. The spectacle of the War Party scrambling to explain why they wanted to conduct and win a war without having to say that this is, indeed, a war, made it all seem worthwhile. Of course, Tom Campbell, staunchly opposed to this war, did not vote in favor of his own resolution

Brian4Liberty
11-17-2009, 12:46 PM

Do you have a link on that? I can't find anything on this.

AmericasNewTeaParty
12-06-2009, 06:37 PM
I've seen him speak twice. The talk he typically gives is in regards to monetary policy, exploding debt, and what he expects will be out of control inflation quite soon. He speaks critically of Bernanke, and says good luck picking the day to jack up interest rates. I guess it wouldn't surprise me if he supported the bailout(to avoid the deflationary effects) but it seems against what his talks usually focus on. If anything, he is a man who believes inflation is about to hit and we must do everything we can to avoid it starting with helicopter ben. I like his views, he's very pro-freedom, and takes a very analytical approach to governing and follows the rules. He might not ideologically agree with something, but he'll do what's required of him by law, and to me, that's of huge importance.