PDA

View Full Version : Federal oversight of subways proposed...

phill4paul
11-16-2009, 06:02 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/11/14/AR2009111402459_pf.html

The Obama administration will propose that the federal government take over safety regulation of the nation's subway and light-rail systems, responding to what it says is haphazard and ineffective oversight by state agencies.

What other "haphazard and ineffective oversight by state agencies" should the Federal government take over?

But a law passed in 1965 prohibits federal regulation of subways. When that law was put into effect, there were only a handful of subways -- Metro wouldn't open its first line for another 11 years -- and lawmakers reasoned that federal oversight would hamper their growth.

Funny these two lines. No? We have granted you the privilege of expanding growth to the point we think we should take you over.:rolleyes:

Also, could the decision to hold 9-11 trials in New York affect the decision for Federal control of subways?

These guys could use better script writers....

NoHero
11-16-2009, 07:00 PM
Under the proposal, the U.S. Department of Transportation would do for transit what it does for airlines and Amtrak: set and enforce federal regulations to ensure that millions of passengers get to their destinations safely

HAHAHAHAHAHA

I'm glad journalists don't just regurgitate what their politician sources tell them. Phew. The newspaper industry is gonna be huge if they keep up this kind of investigative work.

LibForestPaul
11-16-2009, 07:22 PM
How about Federal oversight of Federally Supported Highways. Lotta muzzies driving trucks all over the place. Damn brown people, never know when they are going to go boom.

phill4paul
11-16-2009, 08:22 PM
The newspaper industry is gonna be huge if they keep up this kind of investigative work.

"The Citizen Times" " must read " from a non-partisan-bi-partisan statistical report of the average Americans preference of political policy.

Text: Apathy

fj45lvr
11-17-2009, 01:32 AM
I suppose Quizzno's will want to do it now too!!! :D

Mitt Romneys sideburns
11-17-2009, 01:59 AM
Fuck that. If I want extra ham on my club sandwich, who is the government to say I cant do it?

lynnf
11-17-2009, 06:45 AM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/11/14/AR2009111402459_pf.html

What other "haphazard and ineffective oversight by state agencies" should the Federal government take over?

Funny these two lines. No? We have granted you the privilege of expanding growth to the point we think we should take you over.:rolleyes:

Also, could the decision to hold 9-11 trials in New York affect the decision for Federal control of subways?

These guys could use better script writers....

ready to take off your shoes to get on the subway before you go through the x-ray machines? ... oh, and your papers, please!

all ready now,.... let's do the TSA shuffle.... for the subway!

lynn

Johnnybags
11-17-2009, 06:57 AM
The pensions and health care costs promised cannot be delivered at the state level, all of the agencies are bankrupt so the FED's step in with printed money to bail them out in the name of safety of course. Of course with over 75% of retirees claiming disablilty as well for these rails its no wonder, they get paid double to sit home and retire.

virgil47
11-17-2009, 10:57 AM
ready to take off your shoes to get on the subway before you go through the x-ray machines? ... oh, and your papers, please!

lynn

You may think you are being humerous but the TSA will be coming to a subway near you!

phill4paul
11-17-2009, 05:45 PM

lynn

Having just flown out of country and returned I am now familiar with the shuffle.:mad:

The reason the airlines are doing poorly isn't because of fear of terrorists it is because of terrible service, miniature/uncomfortable seating and the TSA shuffle.;)