PDA

View Full Version : Lou Dobbs for Senate?

Flash
11-16-2009, 01:17 PM
http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/2009/11/there_may_be_some_competition.html

It did not take long for political observers to start speculating on former Cable TV personality Lou Dobbs' future after he quit his CNN gig. He is already being portrayed as the obvious choice to oppose the re-election of U.S. Sen. Robert Menendez, D-Hoboken, in 2012.

Dobbs is a New Jersey resident who has some definite get-tough immigration policy views, which some reports say is, among other things, what caused the rift between himself and the more liberal members of CNN. Menendez is seen as a champion of immigrants having been born to Cuban immigrant parents in New York.

While Dobbs is considered an independent, it is not hard to see the Garden State Republicans making him a candidate for Senate. Menendez has even taken the first shot, calling Dobb's exit from CNN "addition by subtraction."

Even Menendez's daughter, Alicia, ironically a Fox contributor, has her opinion on Dobbs before he left CNN.

bobbyw24
11-16-2009, 01:20 PM
Would make for an interesting race

Cowlesy
11-16-2009, 01:58 PM
I bet he runs for President as an Independent.

Freedom 4 all
11-16-2009, 02:22 PM
If he does it would pretty much guarantee an Obama reelection.

MRoCkEd
11-16-2009, 02:33 PM
If he does it would pretty much guarantee an Obama reelection.
YouTube - Joker - It's all part of the plan (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWILhrSzw5o)

NoHero
11-16-2009, 07:14 PM
O'Reilly just asked him about this, and he said he is thinking about it, and that he wouldn't be coy about it. I think he's too much of a populist on economics to do a really good job in any office, but he's seems smarter than 98% of the current line-up.

bobbyw24
11-20-2009, 04:50 AM
PHOENIX – A week after abruptly quitting his longtime job as a CNN television news host and commentator, Lou Dobbs said on Thursday he is considering career options including possible runs for the White House or U.S. Senate.

"Right now I feel exhilaration at the wide range of choices before me as to what I do next," Dobbs, whose outspoken views on immigration and other topics often angered liberals, told Reuters in a telephone interview from New York on Thursday.

Dobbs, 64, a veteran CNN anchor who had become one of the most divisive figures in U.S. broadcast journalism, announced last Wednesday he was leaving CNN after spending the better part of 30 years at the 24-hour cable news network.

He still hosts a daily radio show.

http://www.newsmax.com/insidecover/dobbs_president_senate/2009/11/19/288744.html

Flash
11-21-2009, 04:47 PM
I wonder if he'll run as a Republican or indepedent.

John Q. Revere
11-21-2009, 04:53 PM
Watch for a new Lou Dobbs Book, that seems to be the formula.

Does anyone know of a guest on any of these media stations that ISNT plugging a book?

Lou Dobbs, Sarah Palin, Bill O...does anyone know any NON-career politician, NON-"living out of the realm of you and me" candidates?

Real people for True Representation!

NYgs23
11-21-2009, 05:13 PM
He'll spend all his time pushing for massive tariffs and a wall along the Rio Grande.

dgr
11-21-2009, 08:46 PM
Well I got the Draft Lou Dobbbs for President e-mail

sofia
11-21-2009, 08:51 PM
Watch for a new Lou Dobbs Book, that seems to be the formula.

Does anyone know of a guest on any of these media stations that ISNT plugging a book?

Lou Dobbs, Sarah Palin, Bill O...does anyone know any NON-career politician, NON-"living out of the realm of you and me" candidates?

Real people for True Representation!

Its an age old trick...fuel speculation about running while selling books...then stick it your groupies after you've sold a gazillion copies..

Colin Powell did this
Jess Ventura did this...
Sarah is doing it now...(I doubt she'll run)

cindy25
11-21-2009, 10:03 PM
I seem to remember Dobbs supporting a draft or national service.

googled it, can't find anything yet.

anyone remember anything like this?

Chieppa1
11-25-2009, 10:32 AM
I read the announcement that Dobbs might run for Senate in my state of NJ against democratic Robert Menendez. In the context of the living in a liberty-lovers nightmare of a state, would Dobbs be an OK upgrade?

RM918
11-25-2009, 10:46 AM
Also from Jersey, no matter how unfortunate the choices are he's still better than Menendez.

Mini-Me
11-25-2009, 10:47 AM
No. Real ID? Screw that. Sure, he's better than Menendez, and in a contest between the two I'd hope Dobbs would win, but I certainly wouldn't support him myself or lend him my vote of approval.

Besides, it's not like we can trust him farther than we can throw him, Real ID aside: He deliberately ignored Ron Paul during the primaries, and just so he could bitch and moan about how none of the GOP candidates were standing up for xyz issues (when Ron Paul was). He also deliberately left him out of an economics poll on his site, and we had to vote John Edwards into glorious victory in protest. :rolleyes: Lou Dobbs is out for Lou Dobbs and his own career advancement, and someone like that will not win my support, even if they are the "lesser of two evils."

specsaregood
11-25-2009, 10:54 AM
He deliberately ignored Ron Paul during the primaries, and just so he could bitch and moan about how none of the GOP candidates were standing up for xyz issues (when Ron Paul was).

He was also actively encouraging his viewers to remove their party registration and switch to "independent" which removes them from the primary voter pool in many states. So he was telling people that had more in common with RP to make it so they couldn't vote for anybody in the primary.

PreDeadMan
11-25-2009, 10:54 AM
nope..

CasualApathy
11-25-2009, 10:56 AM
meh...

lynnf
11-25-2009, 10:56 AM
not if the reports of his flip-flopping on illegal immigration are true.

lynn

BuddyRey
11-25-2009, 11:10 AM
I won't vote for any defender of the War on Drugs. Sorry, but that's just one of my make-it-or-break-it issues.

constituent
11-25-2009, 11:19 AM
Guess it would depend on his positions that week.

paulitics
11-25-2009, 11:23 AM
I voted yes, but wish I could take it back. I forgot how much of an authoritarian he is.

Still though, he may be alright enough depending on where he stands on cap and tax, healthcare, budget defecits, entitlements, etc. Right now, I would prefer a fiscal conservative over Dobbs or Menendez.

Todd
11-25-2009, 11:29 AM
Over the current crop? Yes.

Chieppa1
11-25-2009, 11:47 AM
This pretty much makes it a no. (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=220413)

Magicman
11-25-2009, 01:28 PM
http://www.sphere.com/2009/11/25/the-point-lou-dobbs-for-president-maybe-senator-first/

Lou Dobbs sounded a little like a political candidate when he announced his departure from CNN a couple of weeks ago. Now he sounds a whole lot like one.

While the early speculation was about whether the former TV talker would seek the presidency, his spokesman indicated on Tuesday that a run for U.S. Senate in 2012 is more likely -- as a possible steppingstone to the White House.

Dobbs, best known as a crusader against illegal immigration, has his eye on the seat held by New Jersey Democrat Robert Menendez, the Senate's only Hispanic member.

"He realizes that to run for president he'd have to run for an intermediate position, such as the Menendez spot," spokesman Bob Dilenschneider told The Wall Street Journal, adding that Dobbs isn't ruling out a run for president but isn't "approaching it seriously at this moment."

In anticipation of a possible run for Menendez's seat, Dobbs is trying to change his image among Latinos. The man whose CNN program became what MyDD's Charles Lemos called "little more than a forum to bash immigrants of Hispanic descent," appeared on the Spanish-language network Telemundo on Friday and announced his support for legalizing millions of undocumented workers.

"Whatever you have thought of me in the past, I can tell you right now that I am one of your greatest friends, and I mean for us to work together," Dobbs said in his live interview with Telemundo's Maria Celeste.

If the post-CNN Dobbs is willing to make nice with Hispanic voters, would he also cozy up to the GOP after years of blasting both parties?

Dobbs, who billed himself as "Mr. Independent" after quitting the GOP in 2006, isn't ruling out running as a Republican, according to Dilenschneider. (Some commentators wonder whether Dobbs could pass the Republican National Committee's proposed ideological "purity test.") But independent political strategists are "delighted at the prospect of a third-party campaign" by a famous, media-savvy candidate, Politico reported.

Dennis DeClaudio at Comedy Central's Indecision Forever is hoping Dobbs will skip the Senate and jump straight into the Republican presidential fray. He dreamed of a surreal 2012 GOP primary: "Oh man, can you even imagine? Dobbs vs. Palin vs. Giuliani vs. Ailes vs. Huckabee vs. Romney? ... Is Chewbacca planning a run?"

On the other hand, New York magazine's Adam K. Raymond said, Dobbs should take the third-party route to the White House, "if only because it would make for some mind-bending Palin/Obama/Dobbs debates in 2012."

bobbyw24
11-25-2009, 01:36 PM
www.politico.com

By: Andy Barr
November 25, 2009 11:39 AM EST

Perhaps thinking of a future political career, former CNN anchor Lou Dobbs softened his harsh anti-illegal immigrant rhetoric during an interview Tuesday, telling the viewers of the Spanish-speaking network Telemundo that “I am one of your greatest friends.”

“I want to engage in a meaningful and constructive dialogue and work with those who will work toward real solutions,” said Dobbs, who once falsely accused illegal immigrants of carrying leprosy into the United States.

“I think we need to honestly come together. … and make some real progress toward an understanding a compromise for those who are in this country illegally,” he said. “What isn't working is a penalty to those who are in this country illegally for whom we can both be building a bridge to the future in which there is legalization and at the same time constructing an environment in which everyone is clear and unequivocal about the need for border security and a regulated flow of immigration.”

POLITICO reported Tuesday that Dobbs is mulling a run for the White House in 2012, and Dobbs confirmed on former Tennessee Republican Sen. Fred Thompson’s show Monday that he might run.

Later in the interview, Dobbs made an impassioned plea to the Hispanic community, urging them to reconsider their previous views on him.

Magicman
11-25-2009, 07:34 PM
Bump

Magicman
11-27-2009, 01:18 PM
Bump

TinCanToNA
11-27-2009, 01:30 PM
Ego and ambition in a slightly more transparent package. Interesting...

angelatc
11-27-2009, 01:32 PM
announced his support for legalizing millions of undocumented workers.

Bye bye, Lou.

FSP-Rebel
11-27-2009, 02:07 PM
announced his support for legalizing millions of undocumented workers.

Bye bye, Lou.
At this point in time, I don't think it's possible to find all the illegals and send them back. Even if it was possible, how much would that cost us? Just sayin.

TinCanToNA
11-27-2009, 02:11 PM
At this point in time, I don't think it's possible to find all the illegals and send them back. Even if it was possible, how much would that cost us? Just sayin.

You are correct, although the timing for it is not anything new. The only way to curb illegal immigration flow is to do as Dr. Paul suggests, and reduce the incentives for people to come here illegally. That is politically difficult, however, and we are a nation led by political cowards.

Rael
11-27-2009, 05:40 PM

Of course its possible. One method is to make the penalties for busineses that hire illegals high enough to make hiring them uneconomical. Most will then simply leave on their own

LibertyEagle
11-27-2009, 05:46 PM
Several Lou Dobbs threads merged.