PDA

View Full Version : Dobbs got $8M to quit; CNN 'wanted him out'

bobbyw24
11-16-2009, 08:01 AM
Dobbs, who a source said had a year and a half to go on his $12 million contract, shocked viewers last Wednesday by announcing he was quitting.

CNN boss Jonathan Klein and Dobbs, 64, had been publicly feuding over the kind of reporting Dobbs was doing on his show -- especially stories about illegal immigration and the anti-Obama "birther" movement, which contends the president was not born in Hawaii and is not an American citizen.
LOU DOBBS
LOU DOBBS "Liberating moment."

But it was not clear until now that CNN was willing to pay Dobbs so much money to leave.

"What they do is their business," Dobbs said yesterday. "I tried to accommodate them as best I could, but I've said for many years now that neutrality is not part of my being."

Klein long believed Dobbs was at odds with CNN's desire to position itself as an opinion-free, middle-of-the-road alternative to its cable news rivals -- conservative Fox News and liberal MSNBC.

Dobbs characterized his split with CNN after 27 years as "pleasant, friendly and professional" in an interview with the Atlanta Constitution-Journal.

But, he added, "I truly believe that it's also a liberating moment for me."

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/dobbs_got_to_quit_LOBEhi0KhBVvzqxDoxbPWI#ixzz0X1ys ODKJ

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/dobbs_got_to_quit_LOBEhi0KhBVvzqxDoxbPWI

angelatc
11-16-2009, 08:31 AM
Wow. 27 years is a long time.

Chester Copperpot
11-16-2009, 09:08 AM
how much you wanna bet the guy who had a problem with Dobbs is a CFR or Trilateral member

lynnf
11-16-2009, 09:10 AM
Dobbs, who a source said had a year and a half to go on his $12 million contract, shocked viewers last Wednesday by announcing he was quitting.

CNN boss Jonathan Klein and Dobbs, 64, had been publicly feuding over the kind of reporting Dobbs was doing on his show -- especially stories about illegal immigration and the anti-Obama "birther" movement, which contends the president was not born in Hawaii and is not an American citizen.
LOU DOBBS
LOU DOBBS "Liberating moment."

But it was not clear until now that CNN was willing to pay Dobbs so much money to leave.

"What they do is their business," Dobbs said yesterday. "I tried to accommodate them as best I could, but I've said for many years now that neutrality is not part of my being."

Klein long believed Dobbs was at odds with CNN's desire to position itself as an opinion-free, middle-of-the-road alternative to its cable news rivals -- conservative Fox News and liberal MSNBC.

Dobbs characterized his split with CNN after 27 years as "pleasant, friendly and professional" in an interview with the Atlanta Constitution-Journal.

But, he added, "I truly believe that it's also a liberating moment for me."

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/dobbs_got_to_quit_LOBEhi0KhBVvzqxDoxbPWI#ixzz0X1ys ODKJ

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/dobbs_got_to_quit_LOBEhi0KhBVvzqxDoxbPWI

$8 million is very liberating.....

lynn

Chester Copperpot
11-16-2009, 09:10 AM
how much you wanna bet the guy who had a problem with Dobbs is a CFR or Trilateral member

Well that didnt take long to check up on

Jonathan Klein was just at the CFR in September

http://www.cfr.org/publication/20192/conversation_with_network_news_presidents.html?bre adcrumb=%2Feducators%2Fmultimedia%3Fpage%3D6

A Conversation with Network News Presidents: Meeting Industry Challenges
Speakers: Stephen A. Capus, President, NBC News
Jonathan Klein, President, CNN/U.S.
Sean McManus, President, CBS News and Sports
David Westin, President, ABC News
Presider: Ken Auletta, Media Writer, New Yorker; Author

September 10, 2009
Council on Foreign Relations

FrankRep
11-16-2009, 09:14 AM
Dobbs Brought Down by His Opponents (http://www.thenewamerican.com/index.php/opinion/950-bob-confer/2316-dobbs-brought-down-by-his-opponents)

Bob Confer | The New American (http://www.thenewamerican.com)
13 November 2009

SOURCE:
http://www.thenewamerican.com/index.php/opinion/950-bob-confer/2316-dobbs-brought-down-by-his-opponents

catdd
11-16-2009, 09:15 AM
Every left wing extremist group out there including the SPLC and ADL had a problem with him and that's a lot of pressure on the management.

Dieseler
11-16-2009, 09:18 AM
Dobbs got $8M to quit; CNN 'wanted him out'

I wonder would they have delivered that in gold if he had insisted?

HOLLYWOOD
11-16-2009, 09:48 AM
Dobbs:
...that neutrality is not part of my being.

There's very little on CNN that is "NEUTRAL"

ItsTime
11-16-2009, 10:50 AM
He will end up at Fox (and get higher ratings)

constituent
11-16-2009, 10:56 AM
Did they say..

http://www.canpages.ca/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/dr-evil.jpg

8 Million Dollars?

Flash
11-16-2009, 10:58 AM
He'll be on the O'reilly factor tonight.

ItsTime
11-16-2009, 11:03 AM
He'll be on the O'reilly factor tonight.

Right after his negotiation talks I bet :cool:

TheConstitutionLives
11-16-2009, 11:05 AM

(rolling eyes)

Dreamofunity
11-16-2009, 11:21 AM
I'd take 8M to leave CNN. Then I'd retire and buy a yacht and whatever else rich people do.

RevolutionSD
11-16-2009, 12:49 PM

Matters?
The CFR is there to ensure that every major media outlet touts government propaganda. They are at every level of major corporations and news organizations.

The problem here is not the CFR, but the government itself. The CFR is merely a SYMPTOM of government, not the root cause of the problem of governmental propaganda-based news.

Flash
11-16-2009, 12:52 PM
A simple google search about Dobbs reveals hundreds of links calling him a nazi, nativist, xenophobe, and a racist. Seems a tad extreme for a guy that intelligently expressed his opinion on illegal immigration.

akforme
11-16-2009, 01:14 PM
I'd take 8M to leave CNN. Then I'd retire and buy a yacht and whatever else rich people do.

Yep, that's why our country is to shit, human nature. Most of us would take pay off money. If they offered you 10 million to shut up about Ron Paul most on this board would take it and shut the fuck up.

Not getting on us, it's human nature, it's why the bankers win time and time again.

Flash
11-16-2009, 01:21 PM
Yep, that's why our country is to shit, human nature. Most of us would take pay off money. If they offered you 10 million to shut up about Ron Paul most on this board would take it and shut the fuck up.

Not getting on us, it's human nature, it's why the bankers win time and time again.

That 8 million could come in handy for his possible future political career.

constituent
11-16-2009, 01:21 PM
If they offered you 10 million to shut up about Ron Paul most on this board would take it and shut the fuck up.

not if someone else offered me 11 million to keep talking...

WClint
11-16-2009, 01:27 PM

If they gave us 10 million for the peanut gallery to shut up we could buy our own country. Hmm sounds like a good a business plan

Where do you go when you think it's crucial to provide access to ad-free episodes of Heroes but the rest of the world labels you a dirty pirate? If you're Swedish "intellectual property reform group" The Pirate Bay, you look for your own country.

The group has launched a donation drive to purchase the man-made isle of Sealand, a World War II-era British naval platform sitting in the sea off the coast of Harwich in southern England. For the last few decades, the rusting structure has been run as a "principality" by Paddy Roy Bates, perhaps better known by his princely title, Roy of Sealand. Roy and his family value their independence and want nothing to do with England (except to live there and maintain their English passports), and they've been involved in a series of bizarre confrontations over the platform that they first occupied in 1967.
http://arstechnica.com/old/content/2007/01/8618.ars

Magicman
11-16-2009, 05:25 PM
This is awfully suspicious when just recently someone tried to assassinate him by firing shots near his home. There doing more then just trying to have this guy leave the show. You have the CFR even involved.

BlackTerrel
11-16-2009, 06:45 PM
I never really watched Dobbs? What were his views on topics other than immigration?

He doesn't need to shut up. He has plenty of f u money and can easily set up a podcast online for a couple grand a month (and probably get advertisers and revenue too). There are plenty of podcasts that are downloaded far more than his CNN show was watched.

dannno
11-16-2009, 06:53 PM
I never really watched Dobbs? What were his views on topics other than immigration?

He was a closed borders guy and found the whole La Raza Aztlan movement very threatening.

While I know for a fact the movement exists, I don't find it threatening.

He also spoke out against the NAU.

Edit: Oh, other than.. oops..

mport1
11-16-2009, 07:01 PM
Good to see him leave along with his terrible anti-immigration propaganda.

specsaregood
11-16-2009, 07:02 PM
He was a closed borders guy and found the whole La Raza Aztlan movement very threatening.
He also spoke out against the NAU.
Edit: Oh, other than.. oops..
Don't forget, at least for one show he gave the whole "birther" thing creditiblity.

LibForestPaul
11-16-2009, 07:03 PM

Dumb analogy...I don't get paid talk about Ron...
Man with the gold makes the rules.

LibForestPaul
11-16-2009, 07:05 PM
Good to see him leave along with his terrible anti-immigration propaganda.

Sound like mport wants to sponsor an illegal. Got some medical bills for you to pay.

catdd
11-16-2009, 08:22 PM
He can pay mine too.

Dunedain
11-16-2009, 09:31 PM

Apparently, you don't live in Aztlan.

Bman
11-16-2009, 09:45 PM

It's not 1980. You maybe well off at 8 million, but you certainly aren't going to get into top notch country clubs.

When I was in college I worked as a valet for a real nice country club. The youngest member was worth about 400 million. That was slightly over 10 years ago.

Kbeaubs
11-16-2009, 09:58 PM
It's not 1980. You maybe well off at 8 million, but you certainly aren't going to get into top notch country clubs.

When I was in college I worked as a valet for a real nice country club. The youngest member was worth about 400 million. That was slightly over 10 years ago.

Yep. $8 million isn't much any longer. After tax (including state), you're looking at $4 million. Nobody can live high off the hog with $4 million for very long.

Still, it would be nice. :D

jack555
11-16-2009, 10:10 PM
Matters?
The CFR is there to ensure that every major media outlet touts government propaganda. They are at every level of major corporations and news organizations.

The problem here is not the CFR, but the government itself. The CFR is merely a SYMPTOM of government, not the root cause of the problem of governmental propaganda-based news.

You need to learn a lesson in picking your battles.

really stupid post and waste of time The CFR is a problem. The government is a problem. There is no reason to argue that the cfr is not a problem.

dgr
11-17-2009, 12:42 AM
8 million to retire or be miserable for month with management sencoring your broadcast.
hOW FAST CAN I HAVE THE CERTIFIED CHECK
Of course if I was a retiring wall street or finiancial person and got 8 million for life it would be better