PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul: 'Too early' for 2012 presidential talk

bobbyw24
11-15-2009, 06:29 AM
Thanks to Torchbearer for noting the audio link

By Andrew Duffelmeyer
IowaPolitics.com

AMES -- U.S. Rep. Ron Paul, a Texas Republican that ran for president in 1988 and 2008, said before speaking to a crowd of about 1,000 Friday evening that he is not considering another run at this time.

“It’s not on my mind, it’s too early, and I will be filing for my congressional seat,” Paul said. “I don’t have any plans made.”

Paul did have plenty of other issues on his mind, though, including health care reform, the war in Afghanistan and the future of the Republican Party.

The physician and lawmaker – known as “Dr. No” for his opposition to any legislation that isn’t explicitly authorized in the Constitution, including the health care bill that narrowly passed the U.S. House – said the whole health care system is sick, and “what they’re doing now is making it much sicker.”

* Listen to interview with Ron Paul

http://www.iowapolitics.com/1009/091113paul.mp3

“We’re turning the whole thing over to the government,” Paul said. “It doesn’t make any sense. It’s going to cost a lot more money than they say and we don’t have any money and it’s, to me, the most foolish thing in the world, what they’re doing.”

Paul said the solution would be “to get government out of the way” and increase competition with the delivery of medicine and in insurance companies.

“The system is going to get much worse,” Paul said. “It’s going to cost us a lot more and the patients and the doctors are going to be very unhappy.”

Foreign policy is an area where Paul admits he breaks with many of his Republican counterparts. He is against sending more troops to Afghanistan, and instead advocates bringing all the troops home; not just from Iraq and Afghanistan, but from every country where U.S. troops are stationed.

“We should have a strong national defense, we should obey the Constitution, we should mind our own business and we can start by bringing all our troops home from around the world,” Paul said.

Paul said his greatest foreign policy fear is some event drawing the country into another war and forcing a reinstatement of the draft. Paul, who served in the Air Force and the Air National Guard, was drafted himself in 1962.

“Afghanistan has nothing to do with our national security except it exposes us to greater danger,” Paul said.

Finally, Paul said the Republican Party struggled in 2008 because “they’ve lost all credibility,” and they’ll have to “fulfill their promises” to regain seats in the U.S. Congress.

“They talked about limited government for all those years, just let us get in charge and we’ll shrink the size of government and balance the government,” Paul said. “They finally get in charge ... and everything got worse. They spent more money, they got us involved in wars we shouldn’t be involved in, the deficits exploded, they doubled the size of the Department of Education.”

Paul said what brought him to the state that hosts the first-in-the-nation caucuses was an invitation by Iowa State University students to talk to them about the issues he considers important: individual freedom and the constitution.

The Iowa Campaign For Liberty and the ISU chapter of Young Americans For Liberty hosted the event at Scheman Auditorium.

Paul will be in Des Moines today at a fundraiser for Rep. Kent Sorenson, R-Indianola, as he prepares for a run for Iowa Senate. After that, he doesn’t know if he’ll be back in the state any time soon.

“I usually just take about a week or two at a time,” Paul said. “We’ve done several of these since the campaign was over, my guess would be this is the fifth campus I’ve been on, and I’ve been very pleased with it, so I will go where the invitations come. I know we had a large number of young people here that certainly were supportive before.”

http://www.iowapolitics.com/index.iml?Article=176925

bobbyw24
11-15-2009, 06:32 AM
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/67793-ron-paul-says-its-too-early-to-decide-on-2012-run

Ron Paul: 'Too early' to decide on 2012
By Michael O'Brien - 11/14/09 04:46 PM ET

It's "too early" to say whether Rep. Ron Paul will run again for president, the Texas Republican said Saturday.

The libertarian congressman told a crowd in Iowa, the starting point for a presidential campaign, that he is simply focused on reelection to the House.

"It’s not on my mind, it’s too early, and I will be filing for my congressional seat,” Paul said in an interview with IowaPolitics.com.

“I don’t have any plans made," he said.

Paul's insurgent run for the Republican nomination in 2008 allowed him to build a semi-formidable grassroots organization and political action committee (PAC).

The 74-year-old's son, physician Rand Paul, is currently running for Senate in Kentucky.

Meatwasp
11-15-2009, 06:43 AM
It don't look so good that he intends to run. Hope I am wrong

torchbearer
11-15-2009, 06:46 AM
listen to the interview- http://www.iowapolitics.com/1009/091113paul.mp3
its very detailed- a very good interview.

bobbyw24
11-15-2009, 07:55 AM
Of course, no mention of Ron Paul

http://www.newsmax.com/insidecover/us_republicans_2012/2009/11/14/286284.html

qwerty
11-15-2009, 08:01 AM
I disagree with Paul this time! :(

Bruno
11-15-2009, 08:06 AM

I didn't hear even the slightest NO in there.

bobbyw24
11-15-2009, 08:10 AM
I didn't hear even the slightest NO in there.

Right--just that it's too early to decide. He left it open

givemeliberty
11-15-2009, 08:53 AM
in fact, with the absence of "no", I get the sense that there is very MUCH interest to this end. Have to be verrry careful now.

tonesforjonesbones
11-15-2009, 08:56 AM
well..if he says yes now, it gives the creeps more time to take him down...and people might get bored if we start too early but I am praying that his answer will be YES! I'd like to get started earlier than last time though. tones

torchbearer
11-15-2009, 09:36 AM
sounds like they used two mics to record the interview- it is in stereo.
you can hear where each person is in context of the other person.

Meatwasp
11-15-2009, 09:52 AM
Thanks guys you all encouraged me again.

Nate
11-15-2009, 10:04 AM
That sound like a "yes" in politico speak. Time to start the organizing the local grassroots machine in preparation for the upcoming campaign.

First a close ally in Alex Jones starts the "Draft Ron Paul 2012" thing to put out feelers & start some chatter, now he goes from his previous standard response to another Presidential run of "I have no plans to run again" to the new one of "It's too early". This is all just laying the groundwork for another run while creating the narrative that he didn't want to run but is going to because his supporters demanded it and he is doing it for the good of the country, not for his personal gain.

Grassroots Politics 101

bobbyw24
11-15-2009, 02:11 PM
A Ron Paul run in 2012 would be very interesting.

What would money bomb goals be? $10-15 million in a day??

LibertyMage
11-15-2009, 02:32 PM
http://www.libertymage.com/index.php/2009/09/24/an-important-message-from-valley-forge

The message I wanted to bring back from Valley Forge is the message of hope for the future and enthusiasm for the cause. The attendees of the convention experienced it and I'm sure those across the internet see it. I hope everyone can become involved with their local Campaign for Liberty chapters to make this movement grow over the next few years.

There is another message I wanted to bring back. A response from a question quickly asked. A response given with a smile. A response of which it may be best to just forget for a while...

"Its too early to talk about that yet".

revolutionisnow
11-15-2009, 02:58 PM
A Ron Paul run in 2012 would be very interesting.

What would money bomb goals be? $10-15 million in a day??

I don't think money would be the problem, getting skilled people to make the most of it should be the focus. Try to replicate many of the things Obama did with his campaign as far as a streamlined and modern promotion. Web 2.0, professional ads, rallies with free food and music to draw huge turnouts, hiring graffiti artists and street promotion, etc

Dieseler
11-15-2009, 03:07 PM
OK Then, it is official.
Good.

TCE
11-15-2009, 03:10 PM
Sounds like a yes to me. Put it in the context of Dr. Paul. This is a man who is never afraid to speak his mind and tell it like it is. If he wasn't going to run, he would have explicitly said that he had no plans to and wasn't go to. By him not saying that, I'm thinking he is leaning towards a run.

TCE
11-15-2009, 03:11 PM
I don't think money would be the problem, getting skilled people to make the most of it should be the focus. Try to replicate many of the things Obama did with his campaign as far as a streamlined and modern promotion. Web 2.0, professional ads, rallies with free food and music to draw huge turnouts, hiring graffiti artists and street promotion, etc

Money is always an issue. He was out raised repeatedly during 2007 and 2008, even with the huge money bomb. More money likely wouldn't have helped him, but it couldn't have hurt.

Dieseler
11-15-2009, 03:45 PM
All the money in the world won't help if the media plays the oppositions music 24/7 for free.

revolutionisnow
11-15-2009, 04:01 PM
Money is always an issue. He was out raised repeatedly during 2007 and 2008, even with the huge money bomb. More money likely wouldn't have helped him, but it couldn't have hurt.

He raised more than many other candidates, and had millions left over after the campaign was over.

specsaregood
11-15-2009, 04:10 PM
He raised more than many other candidates, and had millions left over after the campaign was over.

Yes but it was too late in the cycle, his fundraising in the first few quarters was in the 2nd/3rd tier bracket. The media had already cemented the idea that he wasnt a real candidate in the mind of the early adopter primary voter.

On a related note another thread had me dig this up:
When searching google news feed back for Ron Pal on Fri Feb 16, 2007 this was the ONLY news blurb at the time:

"Finally there is Rep. Ron Paul. Paul has a significant base of support among Libertarians and other advocates of small government. Also, he has run for President before, so he has some nationwide campaign experience. He has long been renowned for his independent voting record and a steadfast dedication to fiscal conservatism. Unfortunately for Paul, his 1988 presidential campaign was as a Libertarian following his 1987 resignation from the Republican Party. Though he did later rejoin, there will still be serious questions among GOP voters about his loyalty to the party. His questionable party loyalty will likely prove to be a liability in the fund raising arena, much like Tancredo."

dr. hfn
11-15-2009, 07:32 PM
Gary Johnson 2012!

WClint
11-15-2009, 07:39 PM
Gary Johnson 2012!

Nope its Ron Paul or nothing.

dr. hfn
11-15-2009, 07:56 PM
Nope its Ron Paul or nothing.

Ron Paul will be dead soon, then what? We will be mocked and laughed at if Ron runs when he is that old. We will be seen as a cult of personality. We will lose our credibility. Ron Paul probably won't even be in it to win it, Gary Johnson will.

Bruno
11-15-2009, 08:03 PM
Ron Paul will be dead soon, then what? We will be mocked and laughed at if Ron runs when he is that old. We will be seen as a cult of personality. We will lose our credibility. Ron Paul probably won't even be in it to win it, Gary Johnson will.

You're right. Time to give up before we lose our credibility :rolleyes: And we'd hate to be mocked and laughed at.

RyanRSheets
11-15-2009, 08:07 PM
What we should all be doing is spreading speculation around. Make everyone think an announcement is impending. Make yourself believe it. Flood the papers with letters to the editor. Canvass the internet. We have 3 years to make this happen, and we can do it.

RyanRSheets
11-15-2009, 08:09 PM

We need a backup, but your attitude is troubling. I will be heartbroken when Ron Paul dies, but I expect him to live at least a couple more decades. We need to run at least 2 candidates, but Ron needs to be our frontrunner.

Flash
11-15-2009, 08:19 PM
I think it'll largley depend on Rand's race. If Rand is Kentucky's next senator then people will begin seeing Ron Paul as someone who has a large amount of influence in the Republican Party. May be when he runs in 2012 he'll be more respected by the 'establishment.'

With that said I like the idea of running multiple liberty candidates. Gary Johnson needs to run and start his own following. I don't think he or Ron Paul can seriously win, but I do believe they will greatly enlarge the Libertarian-Wing of the Republican Party.

awake
11-15-2009, 08:27 PM
I am so Ron Paul 2012 that it hurts. But the question remains; what can one man do against a mob? Democracy is a ravenous looting mob of individuals using the force of government to attack their fellow man for their own benefit.

If Ron makes President his win will be mostly symbolic and impotent. He will have to choose between becoming a dictator and forcing his will or doing as he is doing now - voting no on everything (Dr. Veto). He will no doubt try to reinforce the constitution and reset the importance of following it, but once the animal is out of its cage it is a monumental task to recapture it. And even if you do, placing it back in the same cage (The Constitution) will assist its next escape; It simply retraces the way out. I wish it were different but it is not.

Democracy is the problem and it is nearly impossible to tear the masses away from the prospect; The idea that free money exists if only they vote for the most immoral candidate who can steal it from someone else. Until the masses retract their support for democratic processes and embrace individual sovereignty from the monopoly we call the government, then all we can do is work toward the seemingly impossible and provide each other moral support while doing it.

tremendoustie
11-15-2009, 08:27 PM
I think it'll largley depend on Rand's race. If Rand is Kentucky's next senator then people will begin seeing Ron Paul as someone who has a large amount of influence in the Republican Party. May be when he runs in 2012 he'll be more respected by the 'establishment.'

With that said I like the idea of running multiple liberty candidates. Gary Johnson needs to run and start his own following. I don't think he or Ron Paul can seriously win, but I do believe they will greatly enlarge the Libertarian-Wing of the Republican Party.

Heck, they should both run. More voices to be heard.

dr. hfn
11-15-2009, 09:34 PM
Multiple candidates will split our vote, power, movement, and resources. Right?

low preference guy
11-15-2009, 09:40 PM

Nah, once the front runner is established, the others can drop out and endorse him. But before that we'll get a lot more time in the debates to spread liberty ideas.

RyanRSheets
11-15-2009, 09:49 PM
Nah, once the front runner is established, the others can drop out and endorse him. But before that we'll get a lot more time in the debates to spread liberty ideas.

Exactly! You get a bunch of the same people on stage and you have them all speak the same message. A few emerge as the most popular and the rest bow out. You pretend to be different, and slowly the less popular candidates bow out in support of the most popular candidates. We should get to work now on crowding out the Republican debates.

Flash
11-15-2009, 09:53 PM

In the early stages this will be true. But Ron already has 3 million $ cash on hand don't forget. He won't need that much $$ right away.

Having more Libertarian/Goldwater-esque views up there will do wonders for our movement. Imagine in 2012 or 2014 Republicans running for House & Senate as "Ron Paul Republicans" or "Gary Johnson Republicans." May be we'll be able to turn the Republican Party back into the anti-war party.

People saw Ron Paul as the sole crazy ultra-conservative lunatic. I wonder what they'll say when they see multiple liberty Republicans up there, including one who use to be a Governor!

I know this is unlikely but I would like for Ron Paul, Gary Johnson, Judge Andrew Napolitano, and [Senator?] Rand Paul running at once.

tremendoustie
11-15-2009, 09:59 PM
In the early stages this will be true. But Ron already has 3 million $ cash on hand don't forget. He won't need that much $$ right away.

Having more Libertarian/Goldwater-esque views up there will do wonders for our movement. Imagine in 2012 or 2014 Republicans running for House & Senate as "Ron Paul Republicans" or "Gary Johnson Republicans." May be we'll be able to turn the Republican Party back into the anti-war party.

People saw Ron Paul as the sole crazy ultra-conservative lunatic. I wonder what they'll say when they see multiple liberty Republicans up there, including one who use to be a Governor!

I know this is unlikely but I would like for Ron Paul, Gary Johnson, Judge Andrew Napolitano, and [Senator?] Rand Paul running at once.

I agree, except for Rand. He should stick to being a senator this time around.

tremendoustie
11-15-2009, 10:03 PM
Exactly! You get a bunch of the same people on stage and you have them all speak the same message. A few emerge as the most popular and the rest bow out. You pretend to be different, and slowly the less popular candidates bow out in support of the most popular candidates. We should get to work now on crowding out the Republican debates.

Bingo. If 1/3 of the candidates are yours, then they bow out and endorse the strongest, it's like your candidate getting 1/3 of the total airtime early in the process. Actually, it's better than that, because numbers add credibility to ideas.

mczerone
11-15-2009, 10:04 PM
Of course, no mention of Ron Paul

http://www.newsmax.com/insidecover/us_republicans_2012/2009/11/14/286284.html

None here either:

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20091115/D9BVMCBO0.html

It's not too early to start talking about 2012, to make it undeniable that he is a republican contender, at least in a few primary races.

tribute_13
11-15-2009, 10:06 PM
in fact, with the absence of "no", I get the sense that there is very MUCH interest to this end. Have to be verrry careful now.

I agree its like when someone asks you if you got laid and you say with a big grin on your face, "I don't kiss and tell"

Its obvious he IS thinking about it, but I understand where he's coming from with the 2010 primary coming up I think he just wants to take one thing at a time. Secure another congressional term and THEN get serious about running again.

If he was serious about not running he would've flat out said no. Judging by the fact he didn't, I'd say all he needs is a nudge when the time comes and he'll run again and probably do a LOT better now that he has had more media exposure and name recognition since the 2008 election.

Bruno
11-15-2009, 10:45 PM
I agree its like when someone asks you if you got laid and you say with a big grin on your face, "I don't kiss and tell"

Its obvious he IS thinking about it, but I understand where he's coming from with the 2010 primary coming up I think he just wants to take one thing at a time. Secure another congressional term and THEN get serious about running again.

If he was serious about not running he would've flat out said no. Judging by the fact he didn't, I'd say all he needs is a nudge when the time comes and he'll run again and probably do a LOT better now that he has had more media exposure and name recognition since the 2008 election.

+ 2012

Why would he not flat out say he wasn't going to run if that was he decision? Afraid to hurt our feelings? :rolleyes: :)

RyanRSheets
11-16-2009, 12:20 AM
Everyone just needs to remember that Ron has always been a reluctant candidate. He will run. This country needs him, and he will fight just as hard as he always has. Regardless, like I said, we need to focus on filling the stage with other people like him.

MR2Fast2Catch
11-16-2009, 01:09 AM
Ron Paul WILL run. The first six months after Obama got elected, Ron would always shy away from the question, saying it wasn't likely and he didn't really want to. In recent months Ron's answer is different. He just says it's too early and he hasn't decided yet. I think that's progress, and it shows he is considering it. And he WAS the reluctant candidate. If we show that we will support him and want him to run again, I think he will.

Gary Johnson should also run and drop out halfway through to endorse Ron Paul. That would boost Ron Paul a lot, showing that he has an ally in the debates, a big endorsement, and other big name Republicans who agree with him.

And STOP talking about his age. Please. That's the only excuse you have for him not to run, and frankly it's not a good one. He is very healthy and will probably have at least 10, maybe 20 years left. Banking on Gary Johnson could only make us lose momentum for Paul, and Paul already has the huge support base, and name recognition that Johnson does not have yet. Regardless of age, Ron Paul is a way more viable candidate to Gary Johnson. RON PAUL 2012!

Eric21ND
11-16-2009, 04:54 AM
Gary Johnson could up his porfile by running in 2012 and then endorse Ron. Gary could then use that as a springboard for 2016.

UtahApocalypse
11-16-2009, 08:30 AM

Funny how people can get a different context from the same printed sentance. This is the most promising i have heard so far that he WILL run

Meatwasp
11-16-2009, 10:14 AM
Funny how people can get a different context from the same printed sentance. This is the most promising i have heard so far that he WILL run

come on it was 3 oclock in the morning when I read that. I don't feel that way now. Quit chewing on me.

stu2002
11-16-2009, 12:57 PM
I will write in Ron Paul if I have to

Meatwasp
11-16-2009, 01:34 PM

Me too

bobbyw24
11-16-2009, 01:38 PM

Ditto

KramerDSP
11-16-2009, 09:19 PM
I believe I've seen this slogan here before, but it bears repeating.

End The Wars. Save The Dollar. Ron Paul 2012!

speciallyblend
11-17-2009, 12:59 AM
if the gop wants to win, they better hope Ron Paul 2012 happens. If they do not listen to Ron Paul's Platform. i can assure you there are ron paul republicans in 2010 that if ignored will run as Ron Paul Dems(one has a strong chance to win in 2010). Ron Paul said it right reclaim the party,but if the gop fails to listen to Ron Paul Republicans. Then it leaves them no choice but to reclaim the ron paul ideals in the democratic party. reclaiming both parties is no different then trying to reclaim the gop. There are plenty of conservatives/libertarians inside the democratic party in Colorado!

Breaking News in Colorado, A Ron Paul Republican runs against a democrat gets over 30% of the vote. the cogop refuses to help run again,so the dem retires and offers his seat to the ron paul republican to run as a dem:) hmmm 2010 is coming soon:) wonder how the failed cogop will spin that one:) ps do not worry we will keep folks updated on this one as it unfolds:) i know who i am sign waving and helping in 2010;)

The BIGGEST Message we can send to the coloradogop and national gop. is to have a ron paul republican beat the republican as a democrat(backed by the dems and ron paul republicans(unified))!!hands down!!

speciallyblend
11-17-2009, 01:20 AM
I believe I've seen this slogan here before, but it bears repeating.

End The Wars. Save The Dollar. Ron Paul 2012!

think i just found 3 more bumperstickers to put on my car;)

LibertyEagle
11-17-2009, 01:38 AM
+ 2012

Why would he not flat out say he wasn't going to run if that was he decision? Afraid to hurt our feelings? :rolleyes: :)

Maybe for the same reason he kept leading on the press telling them he hadn't decided whether he was going to change over and run as an Independent, after the primary had ended.