PDA

View Full Version : 2012 GOP field

Pauls' Revere
11-14-2009, 06:07 PM
Wow how time flies. The field is starting to take shape with the usual faces. The GOP needs to figure it out and quick or 2012 will be a laugh. Check out the list of "potentials" the MSM has in store for the GOP already.

A year before 2012 campaigning begins in earnest, here's a look at the moves some are making:

_Palin, the 2008 vice presidential nominee who resigned as governor of Alaska, is starting a national media tour to promote her book, "Going Rogue." Eager to show her conservative credentials, she recently endorsed grassroots-backed conservative Doug Hoffman over the GOP-supported candidate in an upstate New York congressional race. Hoffman lost but an undeterred Palin told conservative activists, "The cause goes on."

_Pawlenty, who was on McCain's vice presidential short list, decided not to run for a third term as governor. He's been methodically building an expansive political operation with Washington-based campaign veterans while working to raise his national profile and taking on Obama often. Pawlenty is a conservative, but he's tacked even further right recently, including backing Hoffman.

_Romney, the former Massachusetts governor who lost to McCain, has kept a lower profile than others. He's carefully chosen when to insert himself into national politics. The former businessman has reappeared at key times to challenge Obama, primarily on economic policy. He's experienced the rigors of a national campaign, but previous charges of flip-flopping could haunt him.

_Barbour, Mississippi's governor and a former national GOP chairman, ascended to the RGA chairmanship this summer around the time he visited Iowa and New Hampshire. He was credited with helping Republicans win in Virginia and New Jersey, and helping recruit a strong field of 2010 gubernatorial candidates. The question: Does a party with diversity issues want a white Southerner who is a former lobbyist as the party's face?

_Gingrich, the former House speaker from Georgia known for leading the 1994 GOP takeover of Congress, has been traveling the country talking up Republican rebirth. He tested a stump-sounding speech in Kansas earlier this month, and has emerged as a critic of Obama's health care and economic policy. A leader among conservatives, Gingrich is a perennial flirt with the presidency. But he also carries baggage from his years as a lawmaker.

_Huckabee, the former Arkansas governor who won the Iowa caucuses in 2008, has spent the past year raising his national profile with a Fox News talk show — "Huckabee" — and radio commentaries called the "Huckabee Report." He's in the midst of a tour for his new book, "A Simple Christmas." A longtime favorite of evangelicals who lifted him to victory in Iowa, this Southern Baptist preacher will be challenged to broaden the scope of his support to the rest of the GOP.

Our guy travels to Iowa and SC makes t.v. appearances, writes (best sellers) books etc...and no mention of Ron Paul. If this is any indication of how it's going to be we need to get organized now and start the war chest because it's going to be brutal.

RON PAUL 2012 !

Isaac Bickerstaff
11-14-2009, 06:21 PM
2010 is the year we need to get our guys in there. The delegates that we elect this year are going to decide who the party leadership will be in 2012. Our biggest rival is apathy. We all know RP supporters who went back to their navel gazing when we tried to take on the entrenched party regulars in a presidential election year and came up short. This year, all it will take to be a leader in the party is to show up. In 2008, we started with nothing and won at least two states. Now, we have at least 30% of the party and we are the only faction that can say "I told you so!" Get others involved RIGHT NOW; there is a lot to learn.

Pauls' Revere
11-14-2009, 06:30 PM
2010 is the year we need to get our guys in there. The delegates that we elect this year are going to decide who the party leadership will be in 2012. Our biggest rival is apathy. We all know RP supporters who went back to their naval gazing when we tried to take on the entrenched party regulars in a presidential election year and came up short. This year, all it will take to be a leader in the party is to show up. In 2008, we started with nothing and won at least two states. Now, we have at least 30% of the party and we are the only faction that can say "I told you so!" Get others involved RIGHT NOW; there is a lot to learn.

I'll have to hold my nose, but I'll go if that's what it takes.

http://www.mercedcountyrepublicans.co.m/

heavenlyboy34
11-14-2009, 06:59 PM
Why GOP? What about CFL's 3rd party efforts? It seems this movement is dividing too many ways to be effective in elections.

dr. hfn
11-14-2009, 07:33 PM
I know one thing, we need to continue to cause pain to the machine during the legislative season and during the election season.

We also need to continue to build our organizations and make them stronger. I urge everyone to get involved with Campaign for Liberty, Young Americans for Liberty, Year of Youth Project 2012, Students for Liberty, 9.12ers, Tea Partiers, Oathkeepers, Committees of Safety, Restore the Republic, End the Fed, etc...

And also....why the fuck doesn't Campaign for Liberty have a new site yet? And a PAC?

Matt Collins
11-14-2009, 08:24 PM
YouTube - Gary Johnson 2012: Meet Gary Johnson (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSao9_JiIXc)

Pauls' Revere
11-15-2009, 01:42 AM
Why GOP? What about CFL's 3rd party efforts? It seems this movement is dividing too many ways to be effective in elections.

It's the devil I know.

ugh...I the arguement resonates loudly and my head is about to explode.

:(

Austrian Econ Disciple
11-15-2009, 08:56 AM

We are not homogenous. Personally, unless the candidate fits my criteria they don't get my vote. More often than not I end up voting LP. I say, whatever is in the best interest of yourself go for. There's no point in trying to get everyone to support the same people. Many people like Gary Johnson, I particularly don't especially for the Presidential position. I think it would do more to detract from the movement than add to it. Think of it in these terms.....dismantling the State. Johnson would be like most any other President. Doing nothing "radical" to reduce the State. Reducing taxes is not radical. Halting spending increases is not radical.... So you can see the contention between the "realists" and "idealists", but what many "realists" don't understand is that they are the demise of their own ideology. It's like Bi-Partisanship. Sellouts, copouts, what have you. In the end you achieve little and you water down the message and turn the clocks back on the movement for decades. Look at what happened with Reagan. Oh yeah, he had the talking points, but what did he do? He was a realist. Realists are self-defeating. There's no point in achieving victory if that victory destroys our goals.

Anyways, as for myself I'm personally registered LP and am working with them instead of the GOP. If Ron does run in 2012 though, I'll change back and do whatever needs to be done as quickly as possible to have the biggest clout as possible (Delegate, etc.). Personally, I'm a minority here since I believe we should be focusing on STATE elections, not National. But hey, the Fed has more power than the States...:rolleyes: :D

Education, Education, Education. No to realists, bi-partisanship, and compromise. Yes to reform, unflinching staunch logical libertarianism, "radicalism", and using the system against itself.

PS: Nothing irks me more than the people who believe we should be moderate once elected...who cares if you get re-elected the goal is to achieve liberty and dismantle the State! So, do whatever you think helps the movement the best. There is no "one" answer.

Oh sorry, got off on a little tangent, don't mind me. :D

armstrong
11-15-2009, 09:00 AM
dont like that list

lester1/2jr
11-15-2009, 03:24 PM
yeah honestly none of those candidates seem too electable. I would say mitt romney due to his business experience but he wasn't that great a governor here in massachusetts. not anything like the mark guliani left in NYC. kind of nondescript really. plus he's a phony and everyone knows it.

I can't help but think obama will walk away with it once again

libertygrl
11-15-2009, 04:36 PM
Wow how time flies. The field is starting to take shape with the usual faces. The GOP needs to figure it out and quick or 2012 will be a laugh. Check out the list of "potentials" the MSM has in store for the GOP already.

A year before 2012 campaigning begins in earnest, here's a look at the moves some are making:

_Palin, the 2008 vice presidential nominee who resigned as governor of Alaska, is starting a national media tour to promote her book, "Going Rogue." Eager to show her conservative credentials, she recently endorsed grassroots-backed conservative Doug Hoffman over the GOP-supported candidate in an upstate New York congressional race. Hoffman lost but an undeterred Palin told conservative activists, "The cause goes on."

_Pawlenty, who was on McCain's vice presidential short list, decided not to run for a third term as governor. He's been methodically building an expansive political operation with Washington-based campaign veterans while working to raise his national profile and taking on Obama often. Pawlenty is a conservative, but he's tacked even further right recently, including backing Hoffman.

_Romney, the former Massachusetts governor who lost to McCain, has kept a lower profile than others. He's carefully chosen when to insert himself into national politics. The former businessman has reappeared at key times to challenge Obama, primarily on economic policy. He's experienced the rigors of a national campaign, but previous charges of flip-flopping could haunt him.

_Barbour, Mississippi's governor and a former national GOP chairman, ascended to the RGA chairmanship this summer around the time he visited Iowa and New Hampshire. He was credited with helping Republicans win in Virginia and New Jersey, and helping recruit a strong field of 2010 gubernatorial candidates. The question: Does a party with diversity issues want a white Southerner who is a former lobbyist as the party's face?

_Gingrich, the former House speaker from Georgia known for leading the 1994 GOP takeover of Congress, has been traveling the country talking up Republican rebirth. He tested a stump-sounding speech in Kansas earlier this month, and has emerged as a critic of Obama's health care and economic policy. A leader among conservatives, Gingrich is a perennial flirt with the presidency. But he also carries baggage from his years as a lawmaker.

_Huckabee, the former Arkansas governor who won the Iowa caucuses in 2008, has spent the past year raising his national profile with a Fox News talk show — "Huckabee" — and radio commentaries called the "Huckabee Report." He's in the midst of a tour for his new book, "A Simple Christmas." A longtime favorite of evangelicals who lifted him to victory in Iowa, this Southern Baptist preacher will be challenged to broaden the scope of his support to the rest of the GOP.

Our guy travels to Iowa and SC makes t.v. appearances, writes (best sellers) books etc...and no mention of Ron Paul. If this is any indication of how it's going to be we need to get organized now and start the war chest because it's going to be brutal.

RON PAUL 2012 !

Same old same old. Yawn....

pcosmar
11-15-2009, 05:35 PM
The field needs to be plowed, turned under and harrowed.

specsaregood
11-15-2009, 05:45 PM
I can't help but think obama will walk away with it once again

You say that as if it isn't the plan.

MR2Fast2Catch
11-15-2009, 05:53 PM
I have a hard time believing Gingrich will run. Was he ever that popular?

There are a few candidates who are likely to run, which aren't on that list:

Bobby Jindal
Jim DeMint
Gary Johnson
RON PAUL

MozoVote
11-15-2009, 06:31 PM
Gingrich did dip his toes in the Y2000 race - his polling was so weak that he did not even last to Iowa. I can't see him going anywhere in 2012. Especially after the Scozzafava mess.

Matthew Zak
11-15-2009, 06:35 PM

And we're not even spreading the message. It seems that the only people who remember what happened in '07 and '08 are in this echo chamber not doing a damn thing.

At this rate I highly doubt Ron Paul will run again, even if he has the energy.

pcosmar
11-15-2009, 06:41 PM
And we're not even spreading the message. It seems that the only people who remember what happened in '07 and '08 are in this echo chamber not doing a damn thing.

At this rate I highly doubt Ron Paul will run again, even if he has the energy.

You must be speaking for yourself. Not for me.

specsaregood
11-15-2009, 07:32 PM
Something worth taking into account is that most likely Obama will be running unopposed in the primary. This means that any democrats that are politically active enough might reregister as Republican to vote in the primary, also in states where independents can vote in the primary they would be voting in the GOP instead of some independents voting in the Democrat primary.

dr. hfn
11-15-2009, 07:54 PM
Gary Johnson 2012!!!

RyanRSheets
11-15-2009, 08:21 PM
What can we do in terms of early fundraising efforts? If we could raise a few million for Ron before he even announces an exploratory committee, that would be a nice start.

Flash
11-15-2009, 08:23 PM
I have a hard time believing Gingrich will run. Was he ever that popular?

He really screwed up when he went against Hoffman. He is an intelligent guy too and was beginning to get some love from conservatives. What a foolish move.

There are a few candidates who are likely to run, which aren't on that list:

Bobby Jindal
Jim DeMint
Gary Johnson
RON PAUL

I like the last 3 a lot. The first I don't know enough about, is he any good?

Flash
11-15-2009, 08:25 PM
What can we do in terms of early fundraising efforts? If we could raise a few million for Ron before he even announces an exploratory committee, that would be a nice start.

What if we donated to his congressional re-election campaign? I'm sure he would be able to shift that $ to his eventual Presidential campaign right? I'm not sure what the rules are.

Number19
11-15-2009, 09:22 PM
It all starts in March with the Spring Primary. It's the lowest elected position in the political hierarchy - the Precinct Chair and one level higher, the County Chair. Control at this local level of the Party, and you start having influence and control at the mid-level conventions - County Conventions and District Conventions. Gain sufficient control of these and now you have influence and maybe control of your state convention. Beyond the state convention there is only one left - the national convention.

But it all starts in the community with the Precincts. Every single Ron Pauler needs to file to run for this basic office, if he or she does not intend to run for something else.

Just do it.

Brian Defferding
11-16-2009, 10:19 AM
I'll put my support with Gary Johnson and if Ron Paul decides to run, I'll support him too. The more libertarian-Republicans we get on the bill, the better. Whatever will fudge the neo-cons and theocrats out of the picture more.

Krugerrand
11-16-2009, 11:09 AM
Let's not forget John Mackey! There's some serious winning potential there.