PDA

View Full Version : The SPLC is claiming credit for Dobbs resignation from CNN.

stu2002
11-13-2009, 01:08 PM
http://twitter.com/cmswain

Cowlesy
11-13-2009, 01:18 PM
I think the even funnier tweet is the SPLC is accusing Professor Swain (who is black) of speaking at a White Nationalist conference.

<insert Obama LOL! here>

stu2002
11-13-2009, 01:20 PM
In Defense of Carol Swain apologist for white supremacists."

By JAMES TARANTO

"Carol Swain is an apologist for white supremacists," Mark Potok of the Southern Povert Law Center tells the Tennessean. Carol Swain is also a friend of this column. To our mind the charge seemed awfully far-fetched, so we decided to get to the bottom of it. Swain, who is black, is a professor of law and political science at Vanderbilt University. She is an expert on white supremacists, having written a book on the subject, " The New White Nationalism in America: Its Challenge to Integration," which was published in 2002 by Cambridge University Press and drew plaudits from scholars both liberal (Harvard's William Julius Wilson) and conservative (Princeton's Robert P. George). Readers may remember that we criticized Swain back in June for a comment she made to the Washington Post. She contacted us through Facebook and told us we had misunderstood her intent. We offered her an opportunity to respond, which intent. We offered her an opportunity to respond, which and started keeping up with her writings. While w

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=216443&highlight=swain

acptulsa
11-13-2009, 01:22 PM
I think the even funnier tweet is the SPLC is accusing Professor Swain (who is black) of speaking at a White Nationalist conference.

Wow. Lady must be faster than a speeding bullet!

Remind anyone of cnbc? He's a racist! Oh, wait--our rule is calling a minority racist is racist, so we just screwed up. Oh well, no one will notice...

:rolleyes:

specsaregood
11-13-2009, 01:23 PM
I wonder if they will take credit for encouraging the extremist that shot a bullet into Dobbs' house....

stu2002
11-13-2009, 01:24 PM
Guilt by Association: The Southern Poverty Law Center Hurls a Punch

Carol M. Swain

Political Analyst, Professor of Political Science and Law at Vanderbilt University

A few days ago, I received a notice from a friend informing me that the Southern Poverty Law Center had included me in this week's HateWatch. I linked to the article criticizing film maker, Craig Bodeker for a DVD he produced called a Conversation About Race, for which I wrote a blurb recommending the documentary film for classroom use. Using the tactic of guilt by association and a highly selective list of the film's reviewers, the SPLC's article stated:

Bodeker's documentary has received most of its praise from hate publications and groups, including Vdare.com, The Occidental Quarterly, the National Policy Institute, American Renaissance and the Council of Conservative Citizens' Citizens Informer. (One so-called mainstream fan of the film is the controversial black scholar Carol Swain, a professor of political science and law at Vanderbilt University and a member of the National Council for the Humanities. In a blurb posted on the documentary's website, Swain calls the film "outstanding" and "meticulously done." "[i]t offers people of all races a rare opportunity to engage in cross-racial dialogue," she writes. "I highly recommend this film for social science courses dealing with race, class, and ethnicity.").

I responded to their attack with several Tweets directed at the SPLC. I have been highly critical of the organization in recent months because of its penchant for going after conservative individuals and groups who have exercised their First Amendment Rights to speak out on issues like illegal immigration. In fact, I have published two Huffington Post blogs critical of the new direction that the SPLC has taken. So, I was not exactly surprised that the SPLC would seek revenge against me, a relatively conservative black woman.

Yesterday, I sent out the following 140 character statements in response to the SPLC attack:

* The Southern Poverty Law Center is doing a disservice 2 America. It is working 2 shutdown racial dialogue. http://bit.ly/4sID8B #SPLC #tcot10:55 AM Oct 8th

* There aren't enough new hate groups 2 keep the #SPLC busy, so they target individuals & conservative organizations 2 raise money.#tcot #sgn10:58 AM Oct 8th from web

* Watch the film the #SPLC has called racist & decide 4 yourself. http://bit.ly/Q1sJF Film is an exc. prelude to a real conversation on race.11:04 AM Oct 8th

* Why is there a B in my bonnet? The SPLC calls the DVD racist & then quotes my endorsement of the film.Political incorrectness is not racist.11:07 AM Oct 8th

This morning I received an e-mail from Dr. Heidi Beirich, Director of Research and Special Projects at the Southern Poverty Law Center, providing me with a link to a new posting about Mr. Bodeker. She wrote: "I thought you might want to know that the maker of the documentary on race that you have been publicly praising is an avowed racist who

Read More:

Read more at: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/carol-..._b_316107.html
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/carol-..._b_316107.html

stu2002
11-13-2009, 01:24 PM
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=216126&highlight=swain

Prof. Carol Swain's Response to the SPLC attack on her. Good stuff
Learn to listen to voice of dissent with respect

By Carol Swain

Tennessee Voices

Many of you have read the article published in last Saturday's Tennessean that liberally quotes an official at the Southern Poverty Law Center who has called me an apologist for white supremacy for a blurb I wrote endorsing a film titled A Conversation about Race. Janell Ross, the reporter who wrote the article, neglected to mention that my endorsement was written months before allegations of racism surfaced against Mr. Bodeker. She also neglected to mention that I recommended the film for generating debate in social science courses and that I qualified my endorsement after being informed of Mr. Bodeker's expressions of racism.

Given the potential for gross misunderstanding, I would like to elevate the dialogue a bit. I am a professor of political science and law who often teaches a popular seminar on hate groups in America. Seven years ago, I wrote a book titled The New White Nationalism in America: Its Challenge to Integration. The book warned of rising racial and ethnic conflict because of a set of converging conditions that created a devil brew for racial unrest. Since then the conditions I warned of have heightened. My position remains that racial hatred and bigotry are real and that they can rear their ugly head against any community, including the white community.

It is also true that there are –isms within communities that seek to silence defectors. Ridiculous double standards exist for racial and ethnic minorities. Can anyone imagine that white people would expect all other white people to agree on every issue? Nonetheless, minorities are expected to express solidarity in their political views.

I believe that the continuation of a peaceful American society will depend on our learning how to respectfully listen to one another. One of the most troubling facets of life today is the powerful movement by left-leaning organizations and governmental officials to engage in character assassination, by labeling anyone who disagrees with their liberal utopian vision for society as unworthy of participating in the conversation about our nation's future. A quick look at global history reveals the dangers of following such a short-sighted approach.

Today, conservatives and Christians (of which I am both) are targeted by groups like the Southern Poverty Law Center that regularly seek to discredit us. The war on free speech is so pervasive that the White House has deigned to attack Fox News for unflattering coverage of the Obama administration. Americans have cause to worry.

What is happening is a bold attack on free speech and the inner workings of the Democratic process. We must not let this continue.

What we need in this country is real change. That will not happen if we continue to squelch dissent and force an undemocratic system that attacks the values and principles that made this country great.

stu2002
11-13-2009, 01:26 PM
Mission Creep and the Southern Poverty Law Center's Misguided Focus

In case you missed the story, last November 4th a polling precinct in Philadelphia, PA was patrolled by an organization called the New Black Panther Party, a Marxist group that in 2000, was listed by the Southern Poverty Law Center as a racial hate group. Video footage shot in 2008, show Black Panther precinct workers intimidating white voters. This was covered by the news organizations, and resulted in charges being filed by the Bush Department of Justice, whose job it is to defend and protect the voting rights of all Americans.

What should have been an open and shut case has become something more troubling, after the Eric Holder-led Justice Department dropped charges against the Black Panthers, who supported President Obama. Currently, this decision to drop the charges, is being challenged by the U.S. Commission on Civil Rights, (an organization with which I am affiliated).

Now this is the part where things really get interesting.

The SPLC has been mum on the issue, despite the fact that in 2000, it included the New Black Panther Party among its annual list of hate groups. In fact, what is most shocking is that the SPLC has spent far more resources hounding conservative organizations, such as the Center for Immigration Studies, and prominent citizens like CNN's award-winning anchor Lou Dobbs, than it has protecting the civil rights of American voters, which includes white people as well as black. The unrelenting attacks on Mr. Dobbs and others are shameless. The once venerable organization wages war against conservative individuals, principles, and organizations. How unfortunate for America. How unfortunate for the organization's founders.

There is a name for what has happened. It is called "mission creep." Mission creep occurs when an organization strays beyond its original purpose and engages in actions antithetical to its goals. Rather than monitoring hate groups, the Southern Poverty Law Center has become one.

Follow Carol M. Swain on Twitter: www.twitter.com/CMSwain

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=213325&highlight=creep

revolutionisnow
11-13-2009, 01:37 PM
Here is the documentary they are discussing.

A Conversation About Race (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1084394769627714346&ei=xbT9SruBGo-MqALcr-U_&q=a+conversation+about+race&hl=en#)

amy31416
11-13-2009, 01:51 PM
Criticize the SPLC and get the old "you're racist" accusation thrown at you, no matter that you're black.

I read her stuff whenever I get the chance, she's got quite an interesting perspective on race, poverty, conservatism, etc. She's also one of the rare conservatives on Huffington Post.

Perhaps we should heavily support her now since the SPLC attacks are less that 24 hours old (as far as I can tell), it helps to water down the power the SPLC has to smear anyone who dares speak up.

Her website is http://www.carolmswain.com/ Read her bio, it's interesting.

bobbyw24
11-13-2009, 03:17 PM
She is on Facebook as well

http://www.facebook.com/#/carol.m.swain?ref=ts

catdd
11-13-2009, 03:38 PM
I wonder if they will take credit for encouraging the extremist that shot a bullet into Dobbs' house....

They should have to.