PDA

View Full Version : 67% Oppose A Military Draft

Pennsylvania
11-13-2009, 09:35 AM
U.S. voters strongly oppose the reinstitution of a military draft and are even more strongly in favor of an all-volunteer military. They also don’t think a year of mandatory public service is a good idea.

A new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey finds that just 20% of voters think the United States should have a military draft. Sixty-seven percent (67%) oppose the calling up of young people for military service. Fourteen percent (14%) are not sure whether it’s a good idea or not.

These numbers are largely unchanged from a survey in September 2007.

Among those most directly impacted by a draft, opposition understandably is even higher. Seventy-four percent (74%) of voters ages 18 to 29 are against a military draft, compared to 53% of those over age 65.

Seventy-two percent (72%) of voters nationwide favor an all-volunteer military like the United States has had since 1973 when the draft was abolished. Fifteen percent (15%) oppose an all-volunteer military, and 13% are undecided.

Twenty-five percent (25%) like the idea of requiring U.S. citizens to spend a year in public service, but that’s an 11-point drop in support from the survey two years ago. Sixty-three percent (63%) oppose such a requirement.

Source (Rasmussen) (http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/general_politics/november_2009/67_oppose_a_military_draft)

Mitt Romneys sideburns
11-13-2009, 09:48 AM
Only 63%?

reduen
11-13-2009, 09:53 AM
I would be happier if it were 93% against also.... :(

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
11-13-2009, 10:36 AM
A new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey finds that just 20% of voters think the United States should have a military draft.

These are obviously the people we should draft. Everyone wins that way.

NYgs23
11-13-2009, 10:37 AM
"One out every five Americans favor slavery."

LDA
11-13-2009, 10:39 AM
We should have an all volunteer military. The idea being that most people won't sign up to join an immoral war. With a draft, the military can create any war it wants, and force people to go fight.

WClint
11-13-2009, 10:42 AM
Among those most directly impacted by a draft, opposition understandably is even higher. Seventy-four percent (74%) of voters ages 18 to 29 are against a military draft, compared to 53% of those over age 65.

2009 - 1960 = 49
49+18=67
49+29=78

The same demographic that were hippies of the sixties... are now willing to send the young to die.

How can there be 26% of the people in favor of a draft, then why are they not in the military already.

FindLiberty
11-13-2009, 10:49 AM
67% ...just means they will have to add more catalyst in the next
false flag event that's designed to draw America into the upcoming "war".

Annihilia
11-13-2009, 11:07 AM
That's IT??

jmdrake
11-13-2009, 12:26 PM
Only 63%?

Yeah. Sad isn't it? :( What's worse is the number of people who are being snookered into believing that a draft will somehow make war less likely. The old, tired and stupid argument that "the elite won't want to go to war if they know their children might go in harms way". The elite know how to put loopholes in any legislation to protect their own kids. That's why they're the "elite". Most military personal are support and many never serve in a war zone. If the children of the elite were drafted they'd be somewhere in Colorado flying predator drones over Afghanistan.

Dieseler
11-13-2009, 12:31 PM
It's coming.
Sorry.
I mean you don't really think we're building all those bases and pipelines just to leave them to chance do you?

Dreamofunity
11-13-2009, 12:50 PM
How about those in support can be forced to join and can then smd if they think I'm going to join the military.

youngbuck
11-13-2009, 04:29 PM
The opposition will mostly evaporate once we're 'attacked' again, whether real or false-flag.

sofia
11-13-2009, 05:21 PM
These are obviously the people we should draft. Everyone wins that way.

lol...

QueenB4Liberty
11-13-2009, 05:36 PM
The opposition will mostly evaporate once we're 'attacked' again, whether real or false-flag.

I don't understand how people can be so stupid. The wars we're in are promoting another attack, and I'm ready for it and I'll be waiting to tell people the truth when it happens.

catdd
11-13-2009, 05:40 PM
So what are the other 33% smoking? Wanna bet at least half are chickenhawks?

legion
11-13-2009, 06:04 PM
"Do you think the United States should return to the military draft at this time, or not?"

Yes No Unsure
% % %
8/13-16/07 18 80 2
10/11-14/04 14 85 1
10/24-26/03 17 80 3
1/3-5/03 27 69 4

Interesting... the tide seems to be changing...

JamesButabi
11-13-2009, 06:11 PM
69%......really!?!? This country is hopeless!

MelissaWV
11-13-2009, 06:34 PM
I would put more faith in polls if they published the actual methods, question (and in what context it was asked; were there any lead-in questions, etc.), and number of responses versus number of attempts.

I doubt this is representative of the nation at all.

Edit: Ah I followed back to the source... yeah... this is a telephone survey of 1,000 "likely voters".
From reading a lot of the subcategories into which the answers were herded, it seems like they maybe called during the day and got a lot of crusty old folks. It happens. Most people with sense don't respond to polls. Most people with sense don't have land lines they answer during the day :p

someperson
11-13-2009, 06:37 PM
this.

familydog
11-13-2009, 06:48 PM
Tough talk by the draft supporters.

I'm not worried. The grunting and chest thumping will quickly end when the draft becomes reality.

catdd
11-13-2009, 07:00 PM
Why would they need a draft if they have 33% of the population willing to enlist? Probably because only about 5% of those who agreed were fighting age.

BlackTerrel
11-13-2009, 07:02 PM
I would be happier if it were 93% against also.... :(

There's a difference when it's in theory and when they actually decide to do it. I have a feeling if they did (which they won't) opposition would go much higher.

Grimnir Wotansvolk
11-13-2009, 07:04 PM
We should have an all volunteer military. The idea being that most people won't sign up to join an immoral war. With a draft, the military can create any war it wants, and force people to go fight.The volunteer military is a myth. Even in this allegedly volunteer setup, young, impressionable people have their minds twisted by the lie that violence = virtue. That, and slackjawed recruiters show up at schools and tell 12 fucking year old kids how sweet it is to fly a fighter jet.

Even without an out-and-out draft, how can it be considered volunteer when the military belongs to the same apparatus that also has the ability to manipulate the markets in such a way that most people don't have any choice other than to join the army if they want to make a living?

How can it be considered volunteer when I'm still forced to pay taxes that fund the imperial machine despite finding the concept of a standing army morally objectionable?:mad:

denison
11-14-2009, 12:55 AM

I've been saying that for awhile. :(

denison
11-14-2009, 12:58 AM
It's coming.
Sorry.
I mean you don't really think we're building all those bases and pipelines just to leave them to chance do you?

When the dollar collapse and so goes the whole economy, they'll be no more money to support these endless wars. The military industrial complex doesn't work for free. That's the only good thing about this, there is an end in sight. It won't be pretty for us, though.

RM918
11-14-2009, 02:01 AM
If they call a draft for anything other than the defense of actual American territory, that will be the breaking point and probably the time to get the hell out of dodge.

cindy25
11-14-2009, 02:06 AM
they will call it national service, say its voluntary but make it a college pre req.

Hunter Gatherer
11-14-2009, 10:32 AM
The volunteer military is a myth. Even in this allegedly volunteer setup, young, impressionable people have their minds twisted by the lie that violence = virtue. That, and slackjawed recruiters show up at schools and tell 12 fucking year old kids how sweet it is to fly a fighter jet.

Even without an out-and-out draft, how can it be considered volunteer when the military belongs to the same apparatus that also has the ability to manipulate the markets in such a way that most people don't have any choice other than to join the army if they want to make a living?

How can it be considered volunteer when I'm still forced to pay taxes that fund the imperial machine despite finding the concept of a standing army morally objectionable?:mad:

This.

My 18 year old brother wanted to join the marines because their are no jobs right now. sad world

akforme
11-14-2009, 11:58 AM
Of course I don't agree with the draft, but part of me does. What if, whenever we were at war, the draft automatically started. People would think again about being so chicken hawkish.

xd9fan
11-14-2009, 01:39 PM
a draft will happen.......no way amerika can keep the empire going without one.......maybe for years but unless a revolution happens here.....i dont see how a draft wont happen........

catdd
11-14-2009, 04:56 PM
No one borrows money unless it is an emergency, so the US gov will have to continue creating these emergencies (wars) to keep from going broke. That's what is going on right now and it can't stop under the current economic system. We have to create emergencies in order to borrow more money to keep from going broke.
When people get tired of this shit and stop volunteering, they will reinstate the draft.

cindy25
11-14-2009, 07:04 PM
universal health care is the biggest threat to the volunteer military; one of the biggest drawing points of the military is health care; if every Mc job comes with free health care then it takes away this selling point for the military.

SimpleName
11-14-2009, 10:19 PM
Only 63%?

Thats what I was thinking. 67%, but yeah. How is that strongly oppose? Two-thirds is not exactly the strongest opposition you can have, especially on a subject like this. It means 3-4 out of every 10 people will be for a draft. I bet these numbers will rise as obama continues the bush foreign policy.

BillyDkid
11-14-2009, 10:30 PM
I can't believe that anyone who remotely understands the principle of liberty would support a draft. You know, I cringe every time I here expressions like "land of the free". Anybody who seriously believe we are free in this country does not even know what freedom is. Reminds of me of that book about ordinary Germans during Hitler's reign entitled "They thought they were free". Every country thinks their the good guys and every country thinks their free. Almost nobody is correct.