PDA

View Full Version : NBC Nightly News: Biggest GOP surprise Ron Paul $3mil

Alabama Supporter
10-02-2007, 04:37 PM
I think one of the first times I've seen this on the nightly news, but within the first 5 minutes of the broadcast they covered the money race.

Alabama Supporter
10-02-2007, 04:39 PM
By the way, they made clear they are only using estimates. So the $3 million is not fact.

Romney 10 mil
Guliani 9 mil
Fred 8 mil
McCain 5 mil
Paul 3 mil

GeorgiaRPFan
10-02-2007, 04:39 PM
Just watching NBC nightly news, they reported

Romney - $10 million
Giuliani - $9 million
Thompson - $8 million
McCain - $5 million
Ron Paul - $3 million

Quote from Chuck Dodd, NBC News Political Director:

"But perhaps the biggest surprise is Ron Paul, the little-known congressman from Texas. He raised three million dollars which Brian is more than supposedly more serious candidates like Chris Dodd, Joe Biden, and Mike Huckabee. "

rp4prez
10-02-2007, 04:41 PM
Where are they getting this information? The campaign hasn't released numbers yet so it could be higher than $3 mill right?

MsDoodahs
10-02-2007, 04:42 PM
great!

Danny Molina
10-02-2007, 04:43 PM
I'd think it would be higher. Atleast by a million.

kylejack
This will get posted online tonight, I think by 10 PM or so.

Go to http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032619/ and scroll down to the bottom right, to "News how and when you want it" then click Tuesday. Right now its still last week.

speciallyblend
Yeah i think its a guess,i think the news will be even bigger once they realize he might of raised more,this is part of the plan im sure have people talk about 3 million which isnt bad,but imagine if its bigger then even more reports thru out the week;)

kylejack
10-02-2007, 04:45 PM
By the way, they made clear they are only using estimates. So the $3 million is not fact.

Romney 10 mil
Guliani 9 mil
Fred 8 mil
McCain 5 mil
Paul 3 mil
The fact that it keeps getting mentioned as 3 million leads me to wonder if someone in the campaign leaked those numbers and they are correct. It might actually be true....

Alabama Supporter
10-02-2007, 04:45 PM
Yes. If he raises substantially more than 3 mil as Jesse Benton has suggested, then NBC might be compelled to report his actuals. 2 birds 1 stone.

monotony
10-02-2007, 04:46 PM
Why is it "news" if they are only giving estimates?! Thanks alot for throwing your GUESS in with the rest of us NBC. Anyone else annoyed by how completely useless the news has become?

synthetic
10-02-2007, 04:47 PM
They can report 1M, 1.5, 2 or any amount they want. Getting his name out there is most important. When the real numbers are released they get to report on him again.

steph3n
hehe it is just like the fred thompson 5 and 8 million news, then he came with 11 mil. :D

Drknows
I knew they should have released the numbers sooner. Trying to build media hype with waiting doesn't work out anymore just look at fred.

Now they will probably just consider it old news and not report.

ghemminger
I betcha there will be some kindof blowback with this strategy

itsnobody
this is horrible, yet still in 5th place

But the actual FEC filings haven't been released so I don't know where NBC is getting their numbers

Taco John
The MSM is using qualifiers such as "over $3 million" dollars.

As a PR/Marketing professional, I have to say that the Paul campaign is playing this one flawlessly right now. They are waiting for their own news cycle and maximizing their impact. Right now, the Paul campaign is getting some tremendous press for their "over $3 million dollar figure." But the fact that the Paul campaign hasn't released the numbers yet amidst the reporting of this figure tells me that they're going to blow that figure away and are waiting for their own news cycle to do it.

I'm expecting a Wednesday announcement.

kylejack
10-02-2007, 04:48 PM
hehe it is just like the fred thompson 5 and 8 million news, then he came with 11 mil. :D

The 8 million referred to the quarter, which is inline with the 11 million, which is a 4 month total.

ghemminger

Exactly - this shiznack doesn't work - Rudy stopping by a STEAKHOUSE that only serves to English speakers - well theres NEWS.......Geez

steph3n
It was still being reported initially as "only 5" for some time.

The 8 million referred to the quarter, which is inline with the 11 million, which is a 4 month total.

gagnonstudio
10-02-2007, 04:50 PM

Fred made around 8.5 million this quarter, plus he will report 3.5 million from June, which was the 2nd quarter.

born2drv
guys it will be a story again don't worry... mccains #'s are not official either... he's still supposed to be "top tier" soon he'll be smacked down by THE PAUL and the media will report it ;)

Drknows
test

kylejack
10-02-2007, 04:51 PM
test

All systems go, you are go for launch! Post, good sir, post!

ghemminger
10-02-2007, 04:51 PM
HQ need to hire Giuliani's PR staff - they get MEGA coverage for awhacked out candidate

Margo37
10-02-2007, 04:52 PM
On CNN (Lou Dobbs Show) just now............."Ron Paul looking more attractive every day" and other comments following. Do not know the first talk show host being interviewed, Warren Ballentine and Joe Madison.
Campaign funds now coming up. (no mention) I'll tape again at 4AM.

born2drv
10-02-2007, 04:53 PM
i don't think our campaign tried hard enough early on to raise funds.... and we still managed to get into the "top tier" with $4-5M-ish...... we can kick this thing in overdrive and come out swinging hard in 4Q..... I'm very excited ;)

max
10-02-2007, 04:54 PM
very disappointing....

we did 1.2 in the last week alone....the two weeks before that "Fill the Quill" had to have been 1 million....thats 2.2 right there...

so, only 800,000 was raised the preceing 2 and 1/2 months?

it cant be right...unless MSM is launching a pre-emptive strike by putting out shitty estimates (and then downplaying the real ones when they come out?)

Taco John
10-02-2007, 04:54 PM
I think the campaign should put up a thermometer and aim for a $25 million dollar quarter starting right now.

Taco John
10-02-2007, 04:56 PM
it cant be right...unless MSM is launching a pre-emptive strike by putting out shitty estimates (and then downplaying the real ones when they come out?)

They won't be able to downplay the real numbers. The money is the thing at this stage.

Don't worry people... The Paul campaign knows what it's doing here.

FreedomLover
10-02-2007, 04:56 PM
very disappointing....

we did 1.2 in the last week alone....the two weeks before that "Fill the Quill" had to have been 1 million....thats 2.2 right there...

I believe the fill-the-quill donations were transferred over to the thermometer fundraiser, someone correct me if im wrong.

MsDoodahs
10-02-2007, 04:57 PM
On CNN (Lou Dobbs Show) just now............."Ron Paul looking more attractive every day" and other comments following. Do not know the talk show host Warren Ballentine?
Campaign funds now coming up. I'll tape again at 4AM.

Thank you Margo! I missed this and would really like to see it!

kylejack
10-02-2007, 04:57 PM
I believe the fill-the-quill donations were transferred over to the thermometer fundraiser, someone correct me if im wrong.

I doubt that's correct. Maybe a little from Fill the Quill Again.

njandrewg
10-02-2007, 04:58 PM
only the last 300 from the last day were transferred. The initial ~2800 were not

Margo37
10-02-2007, 05:01 PM
Thank you Margo! I missed this and would really like to see it!

It's in the last 15-16 minutes of the show.
NBC coming on again and tape is set this time!

Drknows
They won't be able to downplay the real numbers. The money is the thing at this stage.

Don't worry people... The Paul campaign knows what it's doing here.

Yes but we're talking about NBC nightly news!!! The most-watched U.S. network evening newscast!!!

I doubt Brian Williams will get on tomorrow or the next day and go Oh Ron Paul Raised more than the 3 mil we reported earlier .

Its old news. We missed the train big time on this one.

Johnnybags
very disappointing....

Fill the quill was 200k. not 2 million.

hard@work
10-02-2007, 05:02 PM
Don't forget the mil they raised on the west coast tour, and everything else they did in between. But 3 mil is a good place for your heart to be. You need to make sure you're 100% ready to keep trucking - hope for the best but expect the worst and be ready to fight for triple this time around.

joshdvm
10-02-2007, 05:04 PM
I betcha there will be some kindof blowback with this strategy

Absolutely. This is great if they are under-reporting the total, since it is still impressive, but being a low estimate, will enhance the impact of the yet to be released total.

And 3M would appear to be too low. Didn't Kent Snyder say before the $500,000 push that they had already exceeded the 2nd quarter?

So doing the math, let's say 'exceeding' the 2nd quarter means 2.5M, plus 1.2M = 3.7M.

I think is the minimum, based on the information we have, is 3.7M .

FreedomLover
10-02-2007, 05:06 PM
Absolutely. This is great if they are under-reporting the total, since it is still impressive, but being a low estimate, will enhance the impact of the yet to be released total.

And 3M would appear to be too low. Didn't Kent Snyder say before the $500,000 push that they had already exceeded the 2nd quarter?

So doing the math, let's say 'exceeding' the 2nd quarter means 2.5M, plus 1.2M = 3.7M.

Perhaps Kent had already taken into account the 500K fundraiser when he said we will exceed last month's donations.

You guys act like 3 million is a bad thing. We got a nightly news story out of this, and if this is part of some sort of low-ball strategy, then we're maximizing our potential reach in the media.

Either way, we're doing fine.

syborius
10-02-2007, 05:08 PM

Romney 10 mil
Guliani 9 mil
Fred 8 mil
McCain 5 mil
Paul 3 mil

underreporting, but putting paul within proximity can only help him..Good. This will embolden people to donate more. Ron Pauls support base is unique in the fact that many will keep on donating. The more exposure he gets the more his support will grow, and the base will keep on donating, again, and again. :) :) :D

ghemminger
10-02-2007, 05:09 PM
I spammed a one-dollar bill to Ron Paul's campaign over 3.5 million times this last quarter. I also am responsible for his internet polls. Yep, I'm the guy.

Bradley in DC
10-02-2007, 05:10 PM
Where are they getting this information? The campaign hasn't released numbers yet so it could be higher than $3 mill right?

I think they're stealing it from my post here:

http://ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=21634

on this forum! ;)

joshdvm
10-02-2007, 05:14 PM
Perhaps Kent had already taken into account the 500K fundraiser when he said we will exceed last month's donations.

You could be right...

"Last quarter, you helped raise more money for the Ron Paul 2008
campaign than the political pundits thought possible. I assure you that we
will surpass our total from last quarter. The question is by how much.

We have one week left. Our goal is to raise $500,000 online by
September 30th. That boost will give us the best fundraising quarter yet, and
it will show that our campaign is getting stronger by the day.

$500,000 online in seven days will be a challenge. But I know we can
make it."

When I initially read that, I thought it was saying they already had surpassed the 2nd quarter. Re-reading it, it appears you are correct. (And it was Jonathan Bydlak, Fundraising Director, not Snyder--my error).

You guys act like 3 million is a bad thing. We got a nightly news story out of this, and if this is part of some sort of low-ball strategy, then we're maximizing our potential reach in the media.

Either way, we're doing fine.

I agree--I think 3M is quite positive.

Bradley in DC
10-02-2007, 05:16 PM
I knew they should have released the numbers sooner. Trying to build media hype with waiting doesn't work out anymore just look at fred.

Now they will probably just consider it old news and not report.

Nonsense, just look at your own argument--there is a lot of reporting of Fred! The campaign is handling this wonderfully. Look how scared all the of the second tier are. :D

foofighter20x
10-02-2007, 05:16 PM
Moving this to official news also...

Bradley in DC
10-02-2007, 05:17 PM

See my numbers and calculations here http://ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=21634

ghemminger
10-02-2007, 05:18 PM
I think they're stealing it from my post here:

http://ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=21634

on this forum! ;)

Didn't you know MSNBC has assistant tracking this thread......

MsDoodahs
10-02-2007, 05:20 PM
Speaking of Fred, did y'all see where he insisted in Florida today that Saddam had WMDs? :eek:

I saw it on Tucker earlier tonight.

That Shcuster guy is filling in for Tucker, and he did a whole segment on how Fred is confused and screwing up left and right.

I still think the cancer and treatment has kicked his ass so bad that he couldn't handle the job. JMO.

BillyDkid
10-02-2007, 05:39 PM

Romney 10 mil
Guliani 9 mil
Fred 8 mil
McCain 5 mil
Paul 3 milIf it's only 3 million I WILL eat my shoe.

BuddyRey
10-02-2007, 05:40 PM
Guys, don't forget, given the particularly ardent and resourceful supporter base Ron has, coupled with his sound understanding of money management, this quarter's earnings will go MUCH further for him than it would for nearly anybody else. 3 Mil for McCain would be fools' gold quickly spent. For Ron Paul, it will be a triumphant windfall holding boundless opportunities.

Scribbler de Stebbing
10-02-2007, 05:40 PM
The big news, methinks, is going to be Cash On Hand.

Who cares if Fred raises twice as much as we do if half of it goes out the door in fundraising COSTS before they even print literature.

ghemminger
10-02-2007, 05:41 PM
Guys, don't forget, given the particularly ardent and resourceful supporter base Ron has, coupled with his sound understanding of money management, this quarter's earnings will go MUCH further for him than it would for nearly anybody else. 3 Mil for McCain would be fools' gold quickly spent. For Ron Paul, it will be a triumphant windfall holding boundless opportunities.

Fantastic point I never thought of that but 27 frickin million from the WITCH is still pretty goshdarn scary

UtahApocalypse
10-02-2007, 05:42 PM
Sometimes you all make me sick.....

WE JUST WERE ON FREAKING NBC NIGHTLY NEWS!!!

I think the underreporting will be great, later this week when the REAL Numbers come out I expect at least 4 mill The higher numbers are gonna blow away the MSM

TheIndependent
I'm pretty sure there are probably mail-in contributions coming in today from before the deadline. It's simple math when you take the USPS's timeframes into account.

Hope
All systems go, you are go for launch! Post, good sir, post!

I love you.

Sakimoto
10-02-2007, 05:44 PM
It'll be more than 3 million. I think it's all part of their stategy.... or maybe they are hoping for a crap load of $2300 donations in the mail postmarked before the cutoff date. ;)

Bradley in DC
10-02-2007, 05:44 PM

Who cares if Fred raises twice as much as we do if half of it goes out the door in fundraising COSTS before they even print literature.

Cash on hand minus debt! :D

Bradley in DC
10-02-2007, 05:46 PM
I'm pretty sure there are probably mail-in contributions coming in today from before the deadline. It's simple math when you take the USPS's timeframes into account.

I think, but am not sure, that the money has to be cleared in their account before the deadline. But yes, we're still doing well continuing to raise money.

JosephTheLibertarian
10-02-2007, 05:49 PM
guys it will be a story again don't worry... mccains #'s are not official either... he's still supposed to be "top tier" soon he'll be smacked down by THE PAUL and the media will report it ;)

wow.. what if Ron Paul beats Mccain in fundraising totals lol

Perry
10-02-2007, 05:54 PM
Yes. If he raises substantially more than 3 mil as Jesse Benton has suggested, then NBC might be compelled to report his actuals. 2 birds 1 stone.

Exactly! They will too. At the least it will be called as a correction and a big one at that. This will work out perfectly just watch.

BillyDkid
10-02-2007, 06:07 PM
Sometimes you all make me sick.....

WE JUST WERE ON FREAKING NBC NIGHTLY NEWS!!!

I think the underreporting will be great, later this week when the REAL Numbers come out I expect at least 4 mill The higher numbers are gonna blow away the MSMWhat the hell is that all about?

Ninja Homer
10-02-2007, 06:15 PM

Exactly! That was the big story last quarter... McCain actually raised a lot more than Paul did, but spent it all so Paul had more on hand.

I think Paul may now be 2nd in the GOP for cash in hand (behind Giuliani, and if you subtract the funds that Romney invested in his own campaign).

Cowlesy
10-02-2007, 06:16 PM
If Benton and Snyder deliberately got this $3.0 million circulating around for strategic purposes, then my respect has gone WAY up for those guys.

I love this $3.0 million stuff floating everywhere if in fact we raised incrementally more than this. It's terrific handling of the press if they planned it.

MGreen
10-02-2007, 06:22 PM
I am a little surprised with the pissiness of some posters. Paul was just mentioned on NBC Nightly News, and though it may turn out they under-reported Paul's numbers, they singled him out and presented him in a good light! They didn't take their guess and say, "Oh ho ho, Paul is such a loser because he only raised $3 million!"

I hope the campaign's strategy works out and they get special, direct attention when the numbers do come out, but even if NBC Nightly News doesn't report the correct numbers later, we still got some excellent press out of this. And really, if this is to inform the less politically active, I don't think such people would care if Paul got $3 or $3.5 or $4 mil; all that matters is that Williams pointed out that Paul exceeded expectations. If a person is politically active, we can assume s/he will see the correct numbers soon. And if Paul got $5 million, tying with McCain, that will be big enough for them to report.

Also, is anyone else starting to love NBC more every day? They seem to be the only major media outlet to be fair with Paul, compared to CNN, Fox, CBS, etc. If there is some huge conspiracy to shut out Paul, NBC doesn't look to be a part of it. Or they're doing a crappy job.

Original_Intent
10-02-2007, 06:57 PM
Yes cash on hand... Ron Paul said he still has some of his 2.4 mill from last quarter as well. So his cash on hand is going to be MORE than his impressive amount raised! Now he did sound like it was a small amount left over from Q2, but it would still be awesome if we could pull out 3.7 mill raised and cash on hand of 4 million or more!

Also Bradley, I realize you are the DC insider amongst us, but I am pretty sure they can count mailed in donations that are postmarked before the end of the quarter. That is not just a guess I am almost positive I read that.

However, almost is not 100%.;)

Bradley in DC
10-02-2007, 08:49 PM
Also Bradley, I realize you are the DC insider amongst us, but I am pretty sure they can count mailed in donations that are postmarked before the end of the quarter. That is not just a guess I am almost positive I read that.

However, almost is not 100%.;)

I hope you're right. I'm not sure and have seen conflicting explanations. I try to err on the cautious side.

Chester Copperpot
10-02-2007, 08:59 PM
I am a little surprised with the pissiness of some posters. Paul was just mentioned on NBC Nightly News, and though it may turn out they under-reported Paul's numbers, they singled him out and presented him in a good light! They didn't take their guess and say, "Oh ho ho, Paul is such a loser because he only raised $3 million!"

I hope the campaign's strategy works out and they get special, direct attention when the numbers do come out, but even if NBC Nightly News doesn't report the correct numbers later, we still got some excellent press out of this. And really, if this is to inform the less politically active, I don't think such people would care if Paul got $3 or $3.5 or $4 mil; all that matters is that Williams pointed out that Paul exceeded expectations. If a person is politically active, we can assume s/he will see the correct numbers soon. And if Paul got $5 million, tying with McCain, that will be big enough for them to report.

Also, is anyone else starting to love NBC more every day? They seem to be the only major media outlet to be fair with Paul, compared to CNN, Fox, CBS, etc. If there is some huge conspiracy to shut out Paul, NBC doesn't look to be a part of it. Or they're doing a crappy job.

The more Money Ron Paul raises thre more the media likes to be nice just so MAYBE They might get some of that money for advertising revenue

stevedasbach
10-02-2007, 09:23 PM
very disappointing....

"Fill the Quill" brought in something like 3500 donations. At an average of $100 per donation (which is probably a little high) would be $350,000. IMO, $1 million for "Fill the Quill" is way too high.

reduen
10-02-2007, 11:57 PM
Guy's/Gal's, I so hope that Dr. Paul beats Mccain this time! Whatever the number really is, that would be enough for me! :)

And yes, the campaign started the thermometer gimmick way too late in the quarter! :eek:

JosephTheLibertarian
10-03-2007, 12:05 AM
If Ron Paul beats McCain? McCain would be through...humiliated

reduen
10-03-2007, 12:08 AM
and that would be bad how???

Man I have to be careful or I know what I will be dreaming of tonight...:D