PDA

View Full Version : Are you optimistic or pessimistic?

retrorepublican
06-05-2007, 08:13 PM
I'm 16 years old, and I can't help but feel depressed at how off track the Republican Party and our nation has gotten. I mean just thinking about everything and how hard of a fight this will be and how hard I will have to fight in the future makes me feel less than empowered. I feel a little powerless actually.

I mean Ron Paul started the debates off by saying, "I am the Champion of the Constitution," yet he hardly got any time to speak compared to the "first-tier" rich and non-conservative candidates.

Where is our country going? Why is no one phased by a pre-emptive NUCLEAR WAR? Didn't Reagan aim at getting us out of the Cold War and for non-confrontation? How is nuking the hell out of Iran Reagan-like? These people are in la-la land.

dude58677
06-05-2007, 08:18 PM
I have mixed feelings. Ron Paul debated better then ever but what upsets me the most is the media not treating him fairly.

specsaregood
06-05-2007, 08:20 PM
//

JBKing
06-05-2007, 08:21 PM
I am very optimistic about our grassroots campaign.

DjLoTi
06-05-2007, 08:22 PM
Man, I'm just barely 21. I am fully confident that if RP doesn't win, my future is definitely not going to be nearly as good. RP is such a big part of me enjoying and loving my future here in America. It's actually quite amazing.

I've only been following politics for 3 weeks, and already, I've learned so much. Since you're in highschool, why not post posters for RP? Trust me, it'll be fun, exciting, and you'll feel like you're making a difference.

I think the biggest and best way to stay positive is to try to make a change in your community/ect.

That goes for everyone, 16, 18, 21, or 90

DavyDuke17
06-05-2007, 08:23 PM
I am 18 and this is my first election to vote in.. I fear that if we get more of the same with the next administration, which I believe would be the result of electing anyone besides Ron Paul since they are all bought by the same people, I will not be staying in this country too long after I graduate college. I'm looking in to moving to Iceland, or maybe Estonia.

RedStripe
06-05-2007, 08:24 PM
Most people didn't even watch the debate. We have many months to promote Ron Paul. We have something no one else has: a passion.

Ron Paul's campaign will differ from all others of the past few years, because it will not be media-driven, but people-driven.

llamabread
06-05-2007, 08:26 PM
I'm still in high school, and through the videos I made about Ron Paul (originally for a project) I think I convinced my history teacher and the smarter half of my history class to look into Ron Paul. I already convinced my dad, but he has been yelling "Silence Ron Paul, Silence the constitution" all night, so I don't know how thats going... :rolleyes:

retrorepublican
06-05-2007, 08:46 PM
Man, I'm just barely 21. I am fully confident that if RP doesn't win, my future is definitely not going to be nearly as good. RP is such a big part of me enjoying and loving my future here in America. It's actually quite amazing.

I've only been following politics for 3 weeks, and already, I've learned so much. Since you're in highschool, why not post posters for RP? Trust me, it'll be fun, exciting, and you'll feel like you're making a difference.

I think the biggest and best way to stay positive is to try to make a change in your community/ect.

That goes for everyone, 16, 18, 21, or 90

You know what you are so right... I guess that's why Ron Paul is so appealing to me, too. He makes me think about the future of our country and my future. With him elected, it feels like everything would be okay. It's like that's the right thing that should happen.

I have a poster on my locker across from the seniors. Most of my classmates know about him now. If it wasn't for finals next week I'd probably do some more, but I just don't have the time...

retrorepublican
06-05-2007, 08:48 PM
I'm still in high school, and through the videos I made about Ron Paul (originally for a project) I think I convinced my history teacher and the smarter half of my history class to look into Ron Paul. I already convinced my dad, but he has been yelling "Silence Ron Paul, Silence the constitution" all night, so I don't know how thats going... :rolleyes:

I liked your happy ending video.. cheered me up a little bit lol

ronpaulitician
06-05-2007, 08:49 PM
Optimistic.

Ron Paul's views are what will help him get elected to the White House.

Ron Paul supporters will be his "warchest".

We need to go out into the streets and show our support. "Who is Ron Paul?" That question will be our strongest weapon in our fight to overcome the MSM attention that the warmongers receive.

tnvoter
06-05-2007, 09:03 PM
Positive, as long as everyone does their duty now to spread the message as it was spread to me a month ago.

mconder
06-05-2007, 09:17 PM
I am optimistic that the people who love liberty will not let it go easily.

Original_Intent
06-05-2007, 09:22 PM
Optimistic.

Rudy McRomney has money and their support is from a paid campaign staff.

Ron Paul is rich in people who are working for his campaign for free.

People can tell the difference between a paid consultant and a true believer (we just have to be a little careful to not scare them with our gung-ho ness at first)

many people smile at me and say condescendingly "well Ron Paul is all well and good but he can't win". We canstill wake them up and I think we will.

If we don't and if we don't win, better to have fought the good fight on the right side and lost than to party with the "winners" by supporting someone with either no principles or wrong principles.

Don't worry about winning or losing. Worry about how well you are fighting and on which side.

austinphish
06-05-2007, 09:27 PM
I liked your happy ending video.. cheered me up a little bit lol

And all you younger Americans who are involved here. That is really cool that you are so interested in politics at that age. When I was your age it was the "Contract w/ America" with Newt Gingrich that inspired me to get interested in Politics. I was so vehemently libertarian, that is often confused with "republican" that I was voted in my senior yearbook as "Most likely to be the next Rush Limbaugh." Interestingly enough, I was also good friends with the Bush Girls in highschool and ended up being involved with the Bush Campaign.

In the end, Bush is the WORST PRESIDENT EVER, Rush has betrayed his principles and the "Contract with America" was broken but I have not given up hope for this country for one reason = RON PAUL!!

thuja
06-05-2007, 09:36 PM
optimistic, if we can get people to understand what the scary ones are offering. more need to know what rudy is talking about with his cards and database.

kaligula
06-05-2007, 10:31 PM
are still alive and well in America. I'm not optimistic about Ron Paul winning the GOP Nomination.

TyTodd
Although I've been reading these forums regularly since the second debate, this is my first post. I wanted to comment regarding Dr. Paul's prospects amidst some of the frustration in the aftermath of the CNN "debate." A few quick thoughts:

1) Congressman Paul is a long-shot to win the Republican nomination. I say that with dismay, as he is the most conservative of the candidates, and I am convinced that he is brilliantly needed in the White House. But, the GOP party (that left standing, identifying themselves as GOP) has backed itself completely into a corner regarding terrorism, the war in Iraq, and the looming conflict with Iran. There is no way that the war-mongering element of the GOP party that is in control will vote for Paul, as that would be admission that the GOP as a party has been wrong on all of these issues.

2) Although the media are trying to clearly delineate between Republicans and Democrats on foreign policy (Iraq), Ron Paul is really the only candidate that stands out with a distinct anti-interventionist policy and a voting record of having opposed the Iraq conflict from the beginning, regardless of partisanship. If 70% of the country really wants us out of Iraq, Ron Paul has to be an attractive candidate. The big question: how many independents, libertarians, democrats, former Republicans, and currently unaligned individuals will register as a Republican in order to vote in the primaries for Dr. Paul? If it isn't a sizable amount, I don't think Dr. Paul can win the GOP nomination (see #1 above)

3) Debate performance - As usual, Dr. Paul looked nervous, talked too fast, and didn't enunciate some words clearly. He is a much better speaker in one on one interviews with relaxing environs and extended speaking times. However, Congressman Paul's moments in the debate were filled with logic, intellect, morality, and constitutional underpinnings. If you are watching the debate for ideas, rather than charm, Dr. Paul is in a class by himself. His answer on Moral Issues was beautifully appropriate.

4) What is left of the GOP has gone insane. Seriously, ape shit insane... a first-strike nuclear attack on Iran? Wow.

5) The big media has failed us in terms of political process, but this is to be expected. It is unfortunately about sex appeal, money, big business, and lobbyist interests.

6) Luckily the internet age has reduced our complete reliance on traditional media for ideas, removing some of the filters on news. I strongly believe that is why Dr. Paul is doing so well on the internet, where the ideas have to stand alone without some talking head named Hannity or Blitzer telling people what to think. The big question is how strong a role will alternative news sources, word of mouth, and grass roots media play in the 2008 primaries? It really depends upon how many people are really ticked off regarding he system and our current leaders...

7) There are a lot of people that are truly frustrated with our political process. I would put myself in that category. I have never voted, as - in deference to South Park - I haven't felt compelled to vote between a giant douche and a turd. However, I have now donated twice to Congressman Paul's campaign and will vote in the TX primary, regardless of how hopeless the odds might seem. That is the power of Dr. Paul's message, the beauty of the internet as a disruptor of traditional media influence, and the magnitude of the issues facing our country at this time.

This is a long post and a random collection of post-debate thoughts. I want to encourage everyone with the elegance and beauty of Dr. Paul's ideas: personal liberty, minimized federal government, and a non-interventionist foreign policy. Ideas are powerful! We have to hope that the message can make its way through this American Idol style preliminary period where a giant douche like Rudy Giuliani is going to get all the coverage. We have to leverage the internet (youtube, myspace, meetup, forums, blogs, etc.) to continue to spread the powerful ideas and message of Dr. Paul in a responsible way. Getting down on Congressman Paul's chances purely due to his lack of sex appeal with the MSM and his direct conflict with the crazies in control of the GOP regarding Iraq ignores the true power of Dr. Paul's message and how important a contribution he is making to this political process...

Rudolph Giuliani
It is all coming together as I've forseen it to be.

ronpaulitician
06-05-2007, 10:36 PM
Although I've been reading these forums regularly since the second debate, this is my first post.
And a good post it is!

silverhandorder
06-05-2007, 10:45 PM
Just turned 18 i can't beleive how 90% of people have no idea what politics is about and are not up to date. They simply don't care. But I am optimistic and will try to contribute as much as I can.

kaligula
06-05-2007, 10:48 PM
The GOP Right Wing calls Paul a loon and dismisses libertarian ideals with silly statements like "it's not 1789 anymore." A sad commentary on movement whose roots lie in the libertarian ideals expressed by Hayek and Friedman in protest against the New Deal State.

The more idealistic democratic base--as represented by the likes of DailyKos(not the special interest, group identity base)--are actually fairly receptive to libertarian ideals, moreso than the so-called conservative GOP base.

Give me liberty
06-05-2007, 10:52 PM
I am optimistic

But i fear Fred tom
hmm whats his name anyway?

I only saw him once in law & order but i got tired of the show.

specsaregood
06-06-2007, 08:04 AM
//

mconder
06-06-2007, 08:24 AM
Be sure to join and participate in your local Ron Paul Meetup. This is how the Ron Paul campaign has choosen to operate locally. This is probably the single most important thing you can do for Ron. Even more important than donating. $500 to the Paul campaign is worth less than one dedicated person on the ground...of course, if you can, do both.

specsaregood
06-06-2007, 12:03 PM
As I said above, I think this debate simply continued to help the steady increase in support for Ron Paul.

My evidence of the increasing support? 400 new subscribers to Ron Pauls youtube account since last night. Every time his word gets out there, more people become true believers.

Gimme Some Truth
06-06-2007, 02:50 PM
Any1 who is feeling down at the state of politics, people , ron paul's chances , etc ... just watch this ! : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bxiStfVW_c

We need MORE MORE MORE of this!

Richandler
06-06-2007, 03:21 PM
Right now the debates have been a giant competition of the lesser of evils. Ron Paul however I feel is good. I'm very optimistic and definitely put in my efforts.