PDA

View Full Version : Gun Control - A story from my hometown in England that will amaze you

Mattsa
11-13-2009, 04:02 AM
British ex-soldier facing 5 years in jail for handing in to his local police station a shotgun he found in his garden

http://www.thisissurreytoday.co.uk/news/Ex-soldier-faces-jail-handing-gun/article-1509082-detail/article.html

I am speechless. :(

NYgs23
11-13-2009, 05:31 AM
Nothing surprises me about that nanny-state hellhole anymore...no offense. But it's gotten to the point that every time I see a news headline that sounds like a parody of nanny statism, I give it an 80% chance that it's from Britain.

Brian in Maryland
11-13-2009, 06:39 AM
Nothing like that could ever happen here, this is America.:rolleyes:

When and how did it happen in England?:confused:

TheEvilDetector
11-13-2009, 06:52 AM
If you are a knife stabbing victim where the knife is stuck in your body, you will be charged with possession of a deadly weapon.

BillyDkid
11-13-2009, 07:53 AM
If you are a knife stabbing victim where the knife is stuck in your body, you will be charged with possession of a deadly weapon.Well, it only makes sense. Zero tolerance, you know?

lynnf
11-13-2009, 09:11 AM
Well, it only makes sense. Zero tolerance, you know?

zero tolerance = zero intelligence

and you can quote me on that

lynn

Freedom 4 all
11-13-2009, 09:37 AM
I believe the story, I do NOT believe this comment

I think some are missing the point here..!! He rings up, requests to speak with a high ranking officer in person with no reason given, then turns up with a sawn off shotgun and two live cartridges..!! If he was a, "law abiding citizen", then surely he would have rang the police, left it where it was and got firearms to collect it..!! It could have been evidence from a serious offence.

The jury were obviously convinced that he was being more than, "a law abiding citizen"..

Pericles
11-13-2009, 09:42 AM
It is clear from this bit of news and the incident at Ft. Hood, that the military members can no longer be trusted to carry weapons.

1000-points-of-fright
11-13-2009, 11:05 AM
If it went down exactly like the article says then the guy's an idiot. If I found a gun here in the USA and wanted to turn it in to the cops I would make damn sure they know every detail and ask them specifically what they want me to do with it. Take down names of who told you to do what. Hell, even record the phone call if I could just to cover my ass.

I wouldn't just call and say "mind if I drop by for a chat", then drop a sawed-off shotgun on the chief's desk. The article makes it sound like that's what happened, but we can't know for sure how the phone call went down. But it's still not a good reason to arrest the guy unless there are some circumstances we don't know about.

Catatonic
11-13-2009, 12:21 PM
If it went down exactly like the article says then the guy's an idiot. If I found a gun here in the USA and wanted to turn it in to the cops I would make damn sure they know every detail and ask them specifically what they want me to do with it. Take down names of who told you to do what. Hell, even record the phone call if I could just to cover my ass.

I wouldn't just call and say "mind if I drop by for a chat", then drop a sawed-off shotgun on the chief's desk. The article makes it sound like that's what happened, but we can't know for sure how the phone call went down. But it's still not a good reason to arrest the guy unless there are some circumstances we don't know about.

I think people who live in a nanny state tend to honestly think the nanny state is there to serve them. He probably didn't consider the possibility of being charged with a crime when he was obviously innocent.

Reason
11-13-2009, 02:10 PM
sigh... retarded indeed but he certainly didn't help himself by bringing it in person and without telling the officer what was in bag like it was some kind of surprise or something... dumb.

Mattsa
11-13-2009, 02:27 PM
sigh... retarded indeed but he certainly didn't help himself by bringing it in person and without telling the officer what was in bag like it was some kind of surprise or something... dumb.

A 5 year prison sentance is kinda a high price to pay though isn't it?

For F@@K's sake? :rolleyes:

andrewh817
11-13-2009, 02:35 PM
My favorite line: "The intention of anybody possessing a firearm is irrelevant."

Unless you're wearing an blue costume and have a star shaped piece of copper in your pocket......