PDA

View Full Version : Wolf Blitzer Doesn't Understand Why Major Hasan Deserves Justice

clb09
11-12-2009, 09:39 AM
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/michaeltomasky/2009/nov/12/cnn-wolf-blitzer-fort-hood

A lot of folks, when they heard I was interviewing you, they asked me how could a retired U.S. military officer, a full colonel, go ahead and represent someone accused of mass murder? And I want you to explain to our viewers why you're doing this.

zach
11-12-2009, 09:44 AM
So I've read speculations of MKUltra, CIA, the use of psychotropic drugs to self-medicate...

Whatever was the cause, one doesn't usually mass shoot for the hell of it.

Get to the root of the issue, not the result.

pcosmar
11-12-2009, 09:52 AM
Regardless , the man has not even had a trial yet.
The evidence has not been presented. (other than certain and select bits).
No defense has even been presented.

I think there is much that Wolf Blitzer does not understand. :(

Carole
11-12-2009, 10:51 AM
I seriously doubt that Blitzer does NOT understand why Hasan deserves a fair trial.

As often happens on CNN and other news channels, the questioner is often given stupid questions to ask people. Every day dozens of times in dozens of interviews, they ask these ridiculous questions that no normal American would ever ask. This is another example of news media thinking we are stupid and that they have to paint a cartoon picture for Americans in order for us to understand.

In other words, this is the media believing we are so dumbed down that they must lead us by the hand by patronizing us.

Shame on Blitzer for going along with asking stupid questions. He should and does know better, but really the guy is such an automatron, he just goes ahead and plays the kindergarten questioner.

However, Obama has already convicted him:

"We are a nation of laws whose commitment to justice is so enduring that we would treat a gunman and give him due process, just as surely as we will see that he pays for his crimes."

If Obama has already convicted him, then does Wolf just go along?

nobody's_hero
11-12-2009, 12:15 PM
"We are a nation of laws whose commitment to justice is so enduring that we would treat a gunman and give him due process, just as surely as we will see that he pays for his crimes."

If Obama has already convicted him, then does Wolf just go along?

Well, you can't shoot a few dozen people in plain sight and expect it to be easy for people to presume your innocence.

I'm not saying that the priciple of presumed innocence should not apply (it is after all, the unique thing about our justice system—at least at one point in our history, that is), but it isn't as simple as presuming innocence of the accused in an event where there are few if any witnesses.

amy31416
11-12-2009, 12:29 PM
YouTube - Wolf Blitzer FAILING on Celebrity Jeopardy - Highlights (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bd2ySV7AfgM)

We're not dealing with a genius here.

paulitics
11-12-2009, 12:31 PM
Well, you can't shoot a few dozen people in plain sight and expect it to be easy for people to presume your innocence.

I'm not saying that the priciple of presumed innocence should not apply (it is after all, the unique thing about our justice system—at least at one point in our history, that is), but it isn't as simple as presuming innocence of the accused in an event where there are few if any witnesses.

Still those witnesses need to testiify in a court of law that he was indeed the gunman. If it is an easy case, then the government shouldn't be fighting against a fair and speedy trial.

nobody's_hero
11-12-2009, 03:25 PM
Still those witnesses need to testiify in a court of law that he was indeed the gunman. If it is an easy case, then the government shouldn't be fighting against a fair and speedy trial.

I agree with that, yes.

I do however think that it is very hypocritical (possibly even a political stunt) for our elected officials to rally around the concept of due process and fair and speedy trials for a gunman who killed a dozen people, while simultaneously ignoring the fact that there are detainees still in Gitmo who have not even had charges levied against them, as there is no evidence to convict many of them.

It should apply to them as well, I think.

raiha
11-13-2009, 01:12 AM
I suspect he'll get the death penalty. I can't quite work out why people spend thousands to keep someone alive in order to kill him. Hippocratic oath maybe...Even so!