PDA

View Full Version : 'V' is for Obama? Not So Fast

bobbyw24
11-12-2009, 05:47 AM
A few months ago, posters depicting President Obama as "The Joker" -- Batman's nemesis as portrayed by Heath Ledger in "The Dark Knight" -- began popping up around Los Angeles. Some conservatives quickly seized on the image, making it a popular Twitter or Facebook icon. Now, a new ABC TV science fiction series, titled "V," has acquired a political meaning.

"V," a remake of a 1983 series, premiered Nov. 3. It depicts the arrival of aliens claiming to come to Earth in peace. The visitors (V's for short) are lizard-like creatures disguised as attractive and engaging people. Despite promises of mutual benefit, the visitors actually have sinister motives, and that story line has inspired a handful of conservatives to appropriate "V" for their partisan purposes.

To be sure, this is not a huge phenomenon on the right. It's not as if Fox News has added a "V" to Glenn Beck's logo, or anything. But to a subset of conservatives, the imagery is starting
to catch on.

Could it be that ABC is intentionally seeking to tap into the sizable number of Tea Party activists, many of whom view President Obama's motives as sinister? It may be smart marketing, but it doesn't make for smart messaging. It's one thing to believe Obama's policies are harmful, but quite another to believe he is seeking to destroy the world. Some conservatives and libertarians are probably just having harmless fun with this comparison, but one can't help finding it disturbing that some – and let me stress some – of these folks may literally embrace it.

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.politicsdaily.com/media/2009/11/baccarin-v-promo-obama-1.jpg

At a recent health care protest at the U.S. Capitol, The American Spectator's Philip Klein noted a sign with the letter, "V" and the words: "The Lizards Don't Really Want to Help Us." Obviously, it was an attempt to compare the Obama administration to the TV aliens and their nefarious plans.

While one might think the Obama/"V" analogy is a stretch, The Boston Globe cited the

http://www.politicsdaily.com/2009/11/12/v-is-for-obama-not-so-fast/

pcosmar
11-12-2009, 08:28 AM
Methinks they doest protest to much.

The original was more about the rise of fascism in the US, and the V was the resistance symbol for victory over the invaders.
In the new series the V has been used as a graffiti promoting the "visitors".

I'm old, and I am resistance. The V will always be a sign of resistance to me.

zach
11-12-2009, 08:45 AM
I always find it interesting how popular shows seem to show some sort of "trend" that is growing within public opinion.

This is in regards to a possible ET disclosure and to a growing political unrest that is dangling on the imaginary cliff.

dr. hfn
11-12-2009, 09:00 AM
V for Vendetta

jmdrake
11-12-2009, 01:23 PM
http://gofiggr.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/obama_reptilian.jpg

specsaregood
11-12-2009, 01:41 PM
Methinks they doest protest to much.

The original was more about the rise of fascism in the US, and the V was the resistance symbol for victory over the invaders.
In the new series the V has been used as a graffiti promoting the "visitors".

I'm old, and I am resistance. The V will always be a sign of resistance to me.

You noticed that too, eh? I considered that as a really subtle but significant change in the storyline. Somebody had to have a reason to switch the meaning around....

tremendoustie
11-12-2009, 01:46 PM
You noticed that too, eh? I considered that as a really subtle but significant change in the storyline. Somebody had to have a reason to switch the meaning around....

Afraid of promoting vandalism? In the over analyzed and processed world of Hollywood these days, I wouldn't be surprised if that's the reason.

pcosmar
11-12-2009, 02:01 PM
Afraid of promoting vandalism? In the over analyzed and processed world of Hollywood these days, I wouldn't be surprised if that's the reason.

No, In the new series the vandalism is in Promotion of the Visitors.

In the old it was marking the propaganda posters of the "Friends".

I have no idea as to the sgnificance of this change. Will see how it plats out.

evilfunnystuff
11-12-2009, 02:14 PM
In the old it was marking the propaganda posters of the "Friends".

i havent watched the 2nd season of the old version yet but in the 3rd season the v was on more than just posters

ScoutsHonor
11-12-2009, 02:19 PM
v for vendetta

+1776

pcosmar
11-12-2009, 02:20 PM
i havent watched the 2nd season of the old version yet but in the 3rd season the v was on more than just posters

Originally the Old Jewish guy (don't remember the name), took the paint cans from some kids and said. "let me show you how it is done". and paints the V on a poster.
That was the beginning of the resistance.

evilfunnystuff
11-12-2009, 02:28 PM
Originally the Old Jewish guy (don't remember the name), took the paint cans from some kids and said. "let me show you how it is done". and paints the V on a poster.

ya i know that what im sayin is in the third season it was on more than just posters i dunno why i mentioned not having seen the second season as it probly clouded my point

libertygrl
11-12-2009, 03:11 PM

That was the first thing I noticed as well! The Sci-Fi channel was showing the original series a few days before the new one, and I was really disappointed that they changed the meaning around. I was already coming up with ideas of creating fliers with the faces of Obama & NWO types and having a giant V plastered over their faces! I thought the symbol of V was going to take off like the Obama Joker face. But then they changed the meaning around. The original message behind the red V conveyed a sense of empowerment and resistance. Maybe the change was intentional because they knew what we creative types could do with it in today's present state of affairs!

According to an article I read about 2 weeks ago, A. Jones said it was more like the NWO was rubbing our faces in what they are presently doing. (Sorry I can't seem to locate the article) I know that while I was watching it I was very conscious of trying to figure out the reasons why this particular series came out now, and what those in power are hoping to convey to the masses.

Flash
11-12-2009, 05:21 PM

They have to put their propaganda on every show.

I'll check out this new V series and see if its any good.

WarDog
11-12-2009, 08:05 PM
We have to go Deeper,This Government is truly following a script. I know it's hard to believe and if this is all true and Frankly I believe this to be true. Just look at Walt Disney vids and tell me what you see & hear. WD a 33 degree Freemason.

Ultimately we have been Mind Fucked by these Satanist. At least look at Vigilant Citizen and youi will see the Big Picture

http://vigilantcitizen.com/

http://www.freemantv.com/

http://www.oraclebroadcasting.com/listen_live.php

If my sons did not want wars, there would be none." ~ Gutle Schnaper, Mayer Amschel Rothschilds wife

Signs and symbols rule the world, not words nor laws. Confucius

whoever dares are cause reveal shall test the strength of knightly steel and when the torture proves to dull well scrap there brains from out of his skull and place a lamp within the shell to light his soul from here to HELL... Yale University Skull & Bones Secret Society Blood oath.

teamrican1
11-12-2009, 08:54 PM

It's not as clear cut a "change" as it seems though. In the original, the "V" symbol of the resistance wasn't introduced until well in to the story but the red "V" had been the namesake and primary promotional symbol of the show from the start. The Visitors wore bright red military uniforms of the exact same color as the V symbol and the name started with the letter V. So the association between the Visitors and V was strong in the public's mind. A lot of people who watched the original didn't even notice the switch in the meaning of the symbol in the new series.

Personally, I like the change. Obama had his "O" symbol. The Visitors have their "V". It's consistent with the new theme of the series.

ScoutsHonor
11-12-2009, 09:08 PM
I totally reject the change and hereby officially declare that V,
always and forever, will mean "V for Vendetta."

pcosmar
11-12-2009, 09:13 PM
Found it,
His name was Abraham Bernstein .played by Leonardo Cimino
http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0021967/bio

It is Abraham's concept of the graffitti of a "V" to be sprayed over the Vistor Propaganda, explaining to the "V" is for Victory