PDA

View Full Version : AP: Ron Paul's son borrows tactics for KY Senate bid

devil21
11-11-2009, 06:05 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091111/ap_on_re_us/us_kentucky_senate_3;_ylc=X3oDMTB0cmg0amZyBF9TAzIx NTExMDUEZW1haWxJZAMxMjU3OTgwNzA4

By ROGER ALFORD, Associated Press Writer Roger Alford, Associated Press Writer – 1 hr 48 mins ago
FRANKFORT, Ky. – Former presidential candidate Ron Paul's son is borrowing a page from his father's playbook for his U.S. Senate bid, leaning heavily on Internet fundraising and tapping the enthusiasm of young Republicans on college campuses.

The difference this time is that it could actually work. Eye surgeon Rand Paul, once ignored as a longshot, raised more than his main 2010 GOP primary opponent in the most recent fundraising period, and experts say he has a legitimate shot at winning the Senate seat being vacated by colorful Republican Jim Bunning.

"On some levels, it's more than a grass roots campaign," said Western Kentucky University political scientist Scott Lasley. "It's a guerrilla campaign. It's not the easiest to compete against."

Paul is doing traditional outreach through direct mail and the mainstream media, but also using Twitter, Facebook and other social networking sites to get his message out. Though similar nontraditional strategies did not sweep Ron Paul into the White House, they could work on a smaller scale.

"The momentum is there now," said Rand Paul, 46, who is painting his candidacy as a way for people who feel disenfranchised to take back their government. "I don't think we can stop it."

Ron Paul, a libertarian-leaning Republican congressman from Texas, abandoned his 2008 White House bid long before Election Day. He did not win any primaries, but developed a strong following on the Internet and set a single-day record for raising money online.

Since entering the race in August, his son has banked more than $1.3 million. His chief GOP opponent, Secretary of State Trey Grayson, collected $1.2 million between May and October, according to a report filed with the Federal Election Commission.

Paul's fundraising prowess will help him generate the name recognition he needs to win, said Scott Jennings, a GOP strategist who served as a special assistant to former President George W. Bush and campaign adviser for Kentucky U.S. Sen. Mitch McConnell's successful re-election bid last year. Rand Paul has lived in Kentucky for 18 years, but has never run for office.

"The resources he's brought to the table makes him competitive," Jennings said.

The eventual Republican nominee will likely face one of two well-funded Democrats, Lt. Gov. Daniel Mongiardo or Attorney General Jack Conway.

Although Kentucky is solidly Democratic by voter registration, it tends to vote Republican in federal races, meaning the party nominee will likely be the favorite heading into the general election. The GOP holds both Senate seats and four of six House seats, and in last year's presidential election Republican John McCain won the state with 57 percent of the vote compared with 41 percent for Democrat Barack Obama.

Voters say it's too early to make up their minds. June Rice, a retired teacher and lifelong Republican, said activists know and like Grayson after his two terms as secretary of state, but would likely be open to a political outsider like Paul.

"I do think he's a fine young man," she said.

Republican leaders, including McConnell, have been largely mum about the race. McConnell did host a GOP fundraiser in Washington for Grayson in September. More than 20 Republican senators attended, but the campaign hasn't released the fundraising total.

Bunning, who was urged to retire by GOP leaders after two terms, also hasn't weighed in publicly on the Republican candidates. The 78-year-old sports icon enshrined in the Baseball Hall of Fame was widely seen as one of the most vulnerable Republicans heading into next year's elections.

Since Bunning bowed out, Paul's detractors have tried to paint him as an oddball and an extremist, but growing crowds are flocking to town hall meetings across Kentucky to hear his spiel about reining in government spending, stopping taxpayer bailouts of private companies and balancing the federal budget.

Attendance was sparse at some early rallies, but more than 300 people showed up at a Louisville high school Saturday.

Along with college and university students, Paul is courting the libertarian-leaning Republicans who got excited about his father. But to win a Kentucky primary, he'll need social conservatives, and University of Kentucky political scientist Stephen Voss said he must be careful as he tries to appeal to both.

"This is a difficult tightrope to walk," said Voss, who nonetheless believes Paul may be the front-runner right now. "When he's talking economics and money, he is philosophically a libertarian. When he talks about social issues, he's sending guarantees to the right wing that he's not libertarian."

Paul says he opposes abortion without exception, not even in cases of rape, incest or the health of the expectant mother. He also opposes marriages between gay and lesbian couples. At the same time, he voices staunch opposition to government intruding in the private lives of citizens.

"It's an honest position," Paul said. "And I think there's a hunger out there for genuineness."

So far, Grayson has taken a hands-off approach toward Paul, essentially hoping for missteps that would cause the ophthalmologist's momentum to wane.

"If I were advising Grayson, so far I would advise him to do what he's doing," Voss said. "Paul is not a seasoned campaigner. He stands the chance to self-destruct."

Interesting timing for this article, considering Rand's upcoming meeting with McConnell.

And to Voss, Rand will not "self destruct". You only self destruct when you get caught doing or saying something you shouldn't or flip flopping. Principled positions do not "self destruct". Yes Trey, please keep doing what your doing (or not doing).

Matt Collins
11-11-2009, 07:20 PM
These clowns still think Ron and Rand are the driving forces behind this movement. They think that Ron and Rand dictate and we follow whatever they say. They think that somehow Ron and Rand are behind their great successes. The media just does not get that the People are embracing Ron and Rand and their ideas; this is not some sort of top-down machine controlling an army of minions. Even Ron has been quoted as saying this. People in Congress come up to him all the time asking him what trick he used to get the following that he has, and he has explained over and over again, it was nothing he did other than keep a consistent message of limited government / following the Constitution.

TruthisTreason
11-11-2009, 07:22 PM
"On some levels, it's more than a grass roots campaign," said Western Kentucky University political scientist Scott Lasley. "It's a guerrilla campaign. It's not the easiest to compete against."

We are really just getting started! :cool:

Jeremy Tyler
11-11-2009, 07:29 PM
These clowns still think Ron and Rand are the driving forces behind this movement. They think that Ron and Rand dictate and we follow whatever they say. They think that somehow Ron and Rand are behind their great successes. The media just does not get that the People are embracing Ron and Rand, not some sort of top-down machine controlling an army of minions.

I know! The FOOLS! When are they gonna realize the free-market campaigns that are the paul campaigns are. We Paul(and every other small government candidate running alike) supporters beleive in free-market so of course we want a campaign ran like that. Those people who run top-down campaigns probably act the same in government as well.

This article articulates our tactis and thoughts very well.
http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig8/malone3.html

torchbearer
11-11-2009, 07:33 PM
Huey- take some notes-

Bottom up campaigning(guerrilla campainging) is not the easiest to compete against.

ctiger2
11-11-2009, 07:37 PM
To me Ron & Rand = Freedom. Freedom is popular in the land of the free.

Ian A.
11-11-2009, 08:21 PM
Paul says he opposes abortion without exception, not even in cases of rape, incest or the health of the expectant mother. He also opposes marriages between gay and lesbian couples.

Did I miss a speech or interview somewhere? :confused:

Jeremy Tyler
11-11-2009, 08:32 PM

Yeah I saw that too....it bothered me. I don't remember him ever saying that. They also said there were 300 people at the highschool..and I was there and and there was 300 people in attendence. So I figured they got their facts wrong. But maybe Hightower can shed some light on this.

TruthisTreason
11-11-2009, 08:46 PM
Yeah I saw that too....it bothered me. I don't remember him ever saying that. They also said there were 300 people at the highschool..and I was there and and there was 300 people in attendence. So I figured they got their facts wrong. But maybe Hightower can shed some light on this.

"This is a difficult tightrope to walk," said Voss, who nonetheless believes Paul may be the front-runner right now. "When he's talking economics and money, he is philosophically a libertarian. When he talks about social issues, he's sending guarantees to the right wing that he's not libertarian."

Jeremy Tyler
11-11-2009, 08:57 PM

Well Yeah I get that but at the same time did he actually say?

Paul says he opposes abortion without exception, not even in cases of rape, incest or the health of the expectant mother. He also opposes marriages between gay and lesbian couples. At the same time, he voices staunch opposition to government intruding in the private lives of citizens.

And the end there, is he referencing that the government should not be involved in marriage or? Just not clear on what he is getting at. I understand that is trying to play it safe and all. Is that what you are getting at with that quote? about being a libertarian and not being one?

TruthisTreason
11-11-2009, 09:14 PM
Well Yeah I get that but at the same time did he actually say?

And the end there, is he referencing that the government should not be involved in marriage or? Just not clear on what he is getting at. I understand that is trying to play it safe and all. Is that what you are getting at with that quote? about being a libertarian and not being one?

Rand's a constitutional conservative and constitutional conservatives are good, Mkay?

skyorbit
11-11-2009, 09:17 PM
You can morally be opposed to Gay Marriage and still believe it's not of the government's business.

TRacy

RyanRSheets
11-11-2009, 09:25 PM
Rand's a constitutional conservative and constitutional conservatives are good, Mkay?

Way to make a joke out of something most people here probably take serious. That's kind of like saying "McConnell's not going to vote for another bailout, just take my word for it, mmkay?", and I think it's going to hurt the campaign more than it's going to help. I understand not wanting to come out and say Rand supports the right to marry, considering it is a religious institution, but he's kind of blurring the line between lie and tactic by completely avoiding the Constitution. I don't like gay marriage, but it's not my right to decide what marriage is, considering it is a religious institution and thus it is protected by the First Amendment. I don't expect Rand to run out on stage and alienate people, but I expect that responses from the official campaign at least be respectful.

TCE
11-11-2009, 09:34 PM
Rand can self-destruct, anyone can. He just has to be careful. As soon as he is the clear front-runner, he can afford to back off on some of the campaigning. For right now, he needs to keep doing what he's doing.

Grayson can either keep doing what he's doing, which is wait for Rand to beat himself, or try and get Rand into a mudslinging competition, which Rand will lose. Hopefully he elects the former.

RyanRSheets
11-11-2009, 09:38 PM

I think this article is full of poor wording. I don't know if the fault is on the editor, or on Rand, but the stances are certainly vague enough to cause some concern. I'm not changing my vote over abortion and marriage, but it's frustrating.

Malachi
11-11-2009, 09:56 PM
It appears to me that Rand Paul is not Ron Paul.

He appears much more socially conservative than Ron Paul.

That appears to help his chances ten-fold in a closed social conservative primary.

Jeremy Tyler
11-11-2009, 09:59 PM

MMkay :follows mindlessly:

RyanRSheets Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthisTreason

Way to make a joke out of something most people here probably take serious

Right about that. Know plenty of people who would be turned off by rand if he really said that and beleives it including myself, so would like some clarification every once in a while.

TruthisTreason
11-11-2009, 10:12 PM
but I expect that responses from the official campaign at least be respectful.

This is a message board not a campaign hotline..

skyorbit
11-11-2009, 10:24 PM
MEMO TO POLITICIANS: If you want people to campaign for you in a grass roots, guerrilla, bottom-up manner, be honest. I know, I know. You're wanting to find out the Pauls' fancy schmancy techniques. I have news for you. They don't have any. They simply have a message that they believe in, and they practice what they preach.
http://randforsenate.blogspot.com/2009/11/ideological-conservatives-put-pressure.html

Tracy

Jeremy Tyler
11-11-2009, 11:03 PM
This is a message board not a campaign hotline..

translation: Free to be an a** even when people are trying to be civil and have some honest questions.

Malachi
11-11-2009, 11:13 PM
translation: Free to be an a** even when people are trying to be civil and have some honest questions.

Looks like there are plenty of assholes around here.

One question:

How does picking apart everything someone writes help Rand Paul get elected? Keep in mind his so called opponent rarely states any issues.

CryinSheets mentions 1st Amendment and on and on, all the time clueless to its a world of soundbites. Welcome to politics BOYS>!

Jeremy Tyler
11-11-2009, 11:29 PM
Looks like there are plenty of assholes around here.

One question:

How does picking apart everything someone writes help Rand Paul get elected? Keep in mind his so called opponent rarely states any issues.

CryinSheets mentions 1st Amendment and on and on, all the time clueless to its a world of soundbites. Welcome to politics BOYS>!

I'm not picking apart nothing! If rand really said that he is against abortion in all cases and against gay marriage then I need to know when I canvass and people ask me and also want to know for personal reasons. Now everyone has their own personal view on this and I don't want to get in a abortion or gay marriage argument in any way but I do want to know if he said that. Associated press is considered a reliable source so I want to know if it was a direct quote from him or not. And I asked politely from Chris if it was and he didn't answer and instead smarted off. So yeah it pisses me off.

RonPaulFanInGA
11-11-2009, 11:50 PM
Paul says he opposes abortion without exception, not even in cases of rape, incest or the health of the expectant mother.

Holy moly, I know he's trying to prove his pro-life credentials, but why take it that far?

I don't think I've ever seen any politician before say they oppose abortion in the case of the health of the mother.

torchbearer
11-11-2009, 11:51 PM
Holy moly, I know he's trying to prove his pro-life credentials, but why take it that far?

because the christian vote demands people take it that far.
the mother's life is of no consequence to some people.

TruthisTreason
11-11-2009, 11:52 PM
And I asked politely from Chris if it was and he didn't answer and instead smarted off. So yeah it pisses me off.

How to Have a Sarcastic Sense of Humor

Contributor
By eHow Contributing Writer
Article Rating: (3 Ratings)
When you have a sarcastic sense of humor, people can find you a real curiosity. It can be hard for some people to tell when you are really joking. You rarely say exactly what you mean, and there's an edge to sarcastic humor that few people can truly appreciate. Your straight-faced delivery and dry cynicism will either leave everyone laughing or have them wondering what they missed.

skyorbit
11-11-2009, 11:54 PM
My post is on DIGG
http://digg.com/political_opinion/MEMO_TO_POLITICIANS_Be_Honest

Tracy

Bman
11-12-2009, 12:10 AM
How to Have a Sarcastic Sense of Humor

Contributor
By eHow Contributing Writer
Article Rating: (3 Ratings)
When you have a sarcastic sense of humor, people can find you a real curiosity. It can be hard for some people to tell when you are really joking. You rarely say exactly what you mean, and there's an edge to sarcastic humor that few people can truly appreciate. Your straight-faced delivery and dry cynicism will either leave everyone laughing or have them wondering what they missed.

I live my life on sarcasm. I piss a lot of people on this board also because some don't seem to understand when your serious and when you are not. A girl who use to be here who was quite delightful, unfortunately banned once suggested that I use the little smiley faces to clue people. I try, but personally I'm not the type of person who cares what comes out of my mouth.

I wonder if you may have developed your sense of sarcasm in a college fraternity? I know it had a big influence on mine.

Matt Collins
11-12-2009, 02:41 AM
From my understanding Ron said that he NEVER found it necessary to perform an abortion to save the life of the mother in all of his years as an OB/GYN. I swear I remember seeing him say that in some of the millions of videos out there. If anyone can find it that might prove helpful here.

olehounddog
11-12-2009, 03:43 AM
From my understanding Ron said that he NEVER found it necessary to perform an abortion to save the life of the mother in all of his years as an OB/GYN. I swear I remember seeing him say that in some of the millions of videos out there. If anyone can find it that might prove helpful here.

I remember seeing that.

silverhandorder
11-12-2009, 06:57 AM
Guys that is his private view. It is very easy for the artcicle author to ignore that fact. There was an article Rand wrote. Maybe some one can link that to Tyler.

RyanRSheets
11-12-2009, 08:37 AM

Page 22 of Abortion and Liberty (http://files.meetup.com/504095/Ron%20Paul-Abortion%20and%20Liberty.pdf)

DaisyFL
11-12-2009, 10:52 AM
You can morally be opposed to Gay Marriage and still believe it's not of the government's business.

TRacy

True.

RyanRSheets
11-12-2009, 11:06 AM
True.

Yeah, and the interesting thing is, gay marriage probably wouldn't even be considered if we hadn't made marriage a function of the state in the first place. I very much doubt you'd have a large enough majority of the people accepting that marriage can be homosexual if you didn't have the problem of legislative equality. The church certainly would have resisted, and if the church resisted, the only way for homosexuals to marry would be to create their own church which others probably wouldn't recognize. Ultimately, if you want to be forced to recognize homosexual marriage, you should advocate state involvement. If you are morally opposed to it, you should advocate getting the state out of it. Homosexuals have every right in the world to be married, but they have no right whatsoever to force me to believe that their marriage is legitimate. I have no problems with homosexuality, I just don't want to participate in it.

Jeremy Tyler
11-12-2009, 11:50 AM
Guys that is his private view. It is very easy for the artcicle author to ignore that fact. There was an article Rand wrote. Maybe some one can link that to Tyler.

If that is the case then I disagree with him but have no problem with it whatsoever if it is just his personal view. The whole point of me asking this was to know if it was a direct quote and if he wanted government to be involved at the federal level with this. Instead it turns into this rig-a-ma-roll with sarcasm and smart ass comments when it could have been resolved easily.

tuco.sargent
11-13-2009, 11:12 AM
Paul says he opposes abortion without exception, not even in cases of rape, incest or the health of the expectant mother.

I too would like to know if this is his word-for-word position on abortion. I know his dad was against it too but I don't even think he went this far. I think it's unnecessary for him to go this far with it and could have just said that it needs to be kept out of federal courts and at the local level.

I took a look at his website on the issue of abortion and I found out something else about his platform I didn't know.

I would support legislation, a Sanctity of Life Amendment, establishing the principle that life begins at conception. This legislation would define life at conception in law, as a scientific statement.

I don't remember this being on his website before and I'm pretty sure I would have noticed it before when I was looking at his platform. Wonder if it was updated recently. I don't want to start up an abortion debate on here but I thought it was just worth pointing out since it was related to the topic just under discussion.

hueylong
11-13-2009, 11:17 AM
Rand needs to show he is opposed to abortion and gay marriage.

These are two 'litmus test' issues for the Republican primary electorate in Kentucky.

tuco.sargent
11-13-2009, 06:02 PM
Rand needs to show he is opposed to abortion and gay marriage.

These are two 'litmus test' issues for the Republican primary electorate in Kentucky.

This may help him with some social conservatives but in my opinion it could hurt his base. The libertarian-minded people that started this campaign could be very against this not to mention some of the independents that have shown interest in switching parties for Paul. This could hurt him and if it does I'd like to know if that is what he said word-for-word.

Eric21ND
11-13-2009, 06:20 PM
Actually Ron Paul has performed surgery on tubal pregnancies before, which will kill both the mother and child.