PDA

View Full Version : 9 other states budget woes: Az, Fl, Il, Mi, Nv, NJ, Or, RI and Wi

lynnf
11-11-2009, 05:35 PM
http://www.mail.com/Article.aspx/money/business/APNews/General-Business/20091111/U_US-State-Budgets?pageid=1

Report: 10 states face looming budget disasters

In Arizona, the budget has grown so gloomy that lawmakers are considering mortgaging Capitol buildings. In Michigan, state officials dealing with the nation's highest unemployment rate are slashing spending on schools and health care

The report by the Pew Center on the States found that Arizona, Florida, Illinois, Michigan, Nevada, New Jersey, Oregon, Rhode Island and Wisconsin are also at grave risk. Double-digit budget gaps, rising unemployment, high foreclosure rates and built-in budget constraints are the key reasons.

---------------------------------------

lynn

pcosmar
11-11-2009, 05:43 PM
Michigan,,,really. :rolleyes:

YumYum
11-11-2009, 05:59 PM
Instead of bailing out the states, the Fed will loan the states money to keep them from going completely under. The Fed will make trillions more. They are going to teach us and our grandkids a lesson we will never forget for trying to push HR1207 through congress. All of us will have not only a massive national debt we will be enslaved to, but also a huge state debt that the states will take on. These debts have to be payed back along with the health care tax and the dozens of other taxes that will be thrown on us. This raises a question: When we are put in the FEMA labor camps, will we be working for the states or the federal government?

lynnf
11-11-2009, 09:01 PM
any of you that live in those states, let us know what you hear locally.

lynn

pcosmar
11-11-2009, 09:13 PM

lynn

It is worse than the official numbers.
It has been for some time.

belian78
11-11-2009, 09:20 PM
i live outside peoria IL, and so I really dont know what's going on in Chicago other than they are smothered in taxes and crime. but here in the heartland it's rough. more and more get laid off everyday, use up their 6months of unemployment and then either go get assistance or get some crap job that pays a shadow of what they once made. Myself being in the later category.

the state in a rush to spend that stimulus money and not lose it decided, at least in my area, to spend it all on random road construction. what's really shitty about it is that it doesnt really help the career construction workers. A part of peoria county's financial assistance program is that you go to their office once a week and they place you in a work environment for like 2-3 days a week, this is by and large the construction positions.

so not only do we have wasteful spending, random road construction that is either not needed or just in a stupid place, we also dont give job stability to the actual construction workers and pay shit wages to people with no experience to fix our roads.

heavenlyboy34
11-11-2009, 09:53 PM
AZ has been bad for a long time, and it's getting worse. However, the food stamp and state health care system are better designed than most, so I don't get quite the sense of dread that I get from Michigan, et. al.

stilltrying
11-11-2009, 10:16 PM
i live outside peoria IL, and so I really dont know what's going on in Chicago other than they are smothered in taxes and crime. but here in the heartland it's rough. more and more get laid off everyday, use up their 6months of unemployment and then either go get assistance or get some crap job that pays a shadow of what they once made. Myself being in the later category.

the state in a rush to spend that stimulus money and not lose it decided, at least in my area, to spend it all on random road construction. what's really shitty about it is that it doesnt really help the career construction workers. A part of peoria county's financial assistance program is that you go to their office once a week and they place you in a work environment for like 2-3 days a week, this is by and large the construction positions.

so not only do we have wasteful spending, random road construction that is either not needed or just in a stupid place, we also dont give job stability to the actual construction workers and pay shit wages to people with no experience to fix our roads.

Strictly speaking from my perscpective. In Southern Illinois, the area generally has been living in poverty for some time. As an emplyed person I know many people that are unemployed. However the area is somewhat familiar with this so I dont think it affects this area like it does other areas that are new to it (high unemployment rates). The area is highly democrat but with a strong desire for gun rights. Imagnine that eh. i guess the hunting forgoes, need for guns, has the area pretty strong in that matter. Matter of fact in a highly democrat area 7 counties voted for concealed and carry but the capitol said no.

Many of our roads have been redone here with stimulus money. I would rather drive on dirt then to see the BS stimulus money be used. When necessity dictates people would be suprised what they could get used to.

angelatc
11-11-2009, 10:24 PM

lynn

Our schools were expecting a per-pupil reduction, but nowhere near the reduction they got. These schools don't even have books. Thank heavens for printers and the internet. I

Off on a bit of a tangent, but I've been reading some liberal blogs upset about the competition charter schools are creating. I have yet to see a single one mention the children - it's all about the suffering teachers and unions.

THey're redoing our roads with stimulus money, too.