PDA

View Full Version : Billy's birthday today. A Veteran's Day homage.

Oyate
11-11-2009, 05:07 PM
I know a lot of broken down old vet types. Well today Billy's birthday coincided with Veteran's Day which makes sense because everybody calls him "Viet Nam Billy".

I thought I might buzz him through the thrift store and see if anything jumped up and bit him on the ass and then I figured I'd go get him his annual chocolate cake. So I called over and told him to get ready and I'd be by as soon as the truck warmed up. So I did.

Billy had dressed himself carefully in the same clothes he's been wearing since....come to think of it, he's been wearing those clothes since I took him to Walmart to buy them this July 4th. He was looking a little imbalanced, like the meds were getting him loopy again. So I piled him into the truck and we bopped over to the thrift store and he found some cups he thought might be good for drinking out of on the free pile. Then over to the store for his chocolate cake. He likes chocolate cake with chocolate frosting. On the way to the store he says "better make it a small one, I still got half the one left over from last year".

"In the freezer?" I ask.

"Nope" he says. And I don't ask any further questions. We got him his cake. Now he's hanging on my couch listening to classic rock 'n roll and toking some of my finest. Nothing's too good for a combat vet.

To all veterans, deep respect and thanks.

Dieseler
11-11-2009, 05:11 PM
Bless You.

Oyate
11-11-2009, 05:25 PM
Well now he's crashed out and sawing logs. Right there on the couch. Hope he don't have fleas.