PDA

View Full Version : Was Dede Scozzafava one of us?

Thrashertm
11-11-2009, 07:41 AM
I just saw an interview with her on CNN, and she seemed to be more libertarian than neocon. Socially liberal and fiscally conservative.

What's your take?

silverhandorder
11-11-2009, 07:43 AM
Fiscally conservative my ass. She is pro regulations.

erowe1
11-11-2009, 08:12 AM
I just saw an interview with her on CNN, and she seemed to be more libertarian than neocon. Socially liberal and fiscally conservative.

What's your take?

She's not fiscally conservative. Yes, she's a social liberal. But I don't see how that makes her "one of us," since this is the Ron Paul forums, and Ron Paul is extremely socially conservative. Maybe you had this confused with the Rudy Giuliani forums.

Thrashertm
11-11-2009, 08:21 AM
She's not fiscally conservative. Yes, she's a social liberal. But I don't see how that makes her "one of us," since this is the Ron Paul forums, and Ron Paul is extremely socially conservative. Maybe you had this confused with the Rudy Giuliani forums.

I only caught a very basic interview. I am a Ron Paul supporter and I am socially liberal - pro choice, pro gay marriage, pro drug de-criminalization, but I think all of these things should be carried out at the state level as per the Constitution. I think you might disagree with me on some of these issues, but you probably agree that it should be dealt with at a state level.

The Deacon
11-11-2009, 08:27 AM
She sounded like McCain on Middle East policy from what I could tell. Probably Hoffman did as well. The "Independent" was also terrible on immigration and "free trade" as Scozzafozza likely was as well.

TCE
11-11-2009, 11:49 AM
My question is: Wasn't Hoffman a pure neo-con?

jmdrake
11-11-2009, 11:50 AM
I only caught a very basic interview. I am a Ron Paul supporter and I am socially liberal - pro choice, pro gay marriage, pro drug de-criminalization, but I think all of these things should be carried out at the state level as per the Constitution. I think you might disagree with me on some of these issues, but you probably agree that it should be dealt with at a state level.

Does Dede Scozza agree with overturning Roe v. Wade? That is the "holy grail" of the pro choice movement. I doubt she could get much support or be labeled "pro choice" if her position was "give the abortion foes what they've been clamoring for all these years and let's just fight this at the state level". Also Ron Paul vote for DOMA (defense of marriage act). Yes it keeps gay marriage at the state level but it goes against what almost all "gay marriage" advocates are pushing. Basically DOMA blocks gay marriages in one state from being recognized in another state unless that state agrees. Considering the record so far of gay marriage referendums I suspect most gay marriage opponents are happy to keep that at the state level too. Decriminalizing drugs is a different matter. Did Scozza say she was for that (I know "liberals" who are not)?

MsDoodahs
11-11-2009, 12:05 PM
IIRC, she supported the bailout...not exactly fiscally conservative.

Socially liberal? That would be pretty much okay with me because I think the life you choose should be ... well, your choice.

"Let anyone do anything so long as it is peaceful" in a Leonard Read kinda way...

erowe1
11-11-2009, 12:21 PM
Does Dede Scozza agree with overturning Roe v. Wade? That is the "holy grail" of the pro choice movement. I doubt she could get much support or be labeled "pro choice" if her position was "give the abortion foes what they've been clamoring for all these years and let's just fight this at the state level". Also Ron Paul vote for DOMA (defense of marriage act). Yes it keeps gay marriage at the state level but it goes against what almost all "gay marriage" advocates are pushing. Basically DOMA blocks gay marriages in one state from being recognized in another state unless that state agrees. Considering the record so far of gay marriage referendums I suspect most gay marriage opponents are happy to keep that at the state level too. Decriminalizing drugs is a different matter. Did Scozza say she was for that (I know "liberals" who are not)?

Exactly. When you have someone who's identified as a social liberal, then it's generally a safe bet that they don't want to leave their issues to be fought and lost at the state level, they want to push them nationwide and not give states a way out. You won't see someone like Scozzafava backing the We the People Act.

georgiaboy
11-11-2009, 12:24 PM
no.

Thrashertm
11-11-2009, 12:28 PM
I think it's pretty clear that she's not one of us.

paulitics
11-11-2009, 12:38 PM
There are two phony conservative wings. The McCain progressive wing (liberal media and democrat supported)
Bill Kristal neocon wing (neocon radio and fox news supported)

That is all you need to know. Everything else is becomes much clearer once you know that much.

If the establishment or their lackeys in the media endorse a candidate, they will surely not espouse freedom.

Brian4Liberty
11-11-2009, 12:57 PM
Why did she throw her support to the Democrat? Was he a super-fiscally conservative, Constitution following Democrat? Those tend to be rare.

Bucjason
11-11-2009, 02:33 PM
Scuzzyfuckup is strong supporter of "card check"....she's hardly a libertarian....

teamrican1
11-11-2009, 03:06 PM
Socially Liberal is just code for a certain type of authoritarianism, just like Socially Conservative. Each of those ideologies believe the state has the absolute right to tell you how to live your life- they just disagree on the particular kind of hell they want to inflict on you.

Anyone who separates freedom in to social and economic realms has already betrayed themselves as no friend of liberty.

CapitalistRadical
11-11-2009, 08:52 PM
She's no libertarian, but she may have been the most libertarian of the three.

Bman
11-11-2009, 10:51 PM
She's probably as much of one of us as anyone else was who was running for that seat.