PDA

View Full Version : Obama: 'No faith justifies' Fort Hood rampage

bobbyw24
11-11-2009, 07:34 AM
Obama: 'No faith justifies' Fort Hood rampage

Jon Ward

President Obama on Tuesday told 15,000 mourners at Fort Hood, Texas, that no religious faith could justify the murderous attack by a Muslim U.S. Army officer on his fellow soldiers last week, the president's first acknowledgment that fanatical Islam may have motivated the shooter.

"No faith justifies these murderous and craven acts. No just and loving God looks upon them with favor," Mr. Obama said. "And for what he has done, we know that the killer will be met with justice, in this world and the next."

Mr. Obama has urged caution before concluding that Army Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan - whom Mr. Obama never mentioned by name - fatally shot 12 soldiers and one civilian, while wounding 29, because of his Muslim faith. Army Chief of Staff Gen. George Casey has expressed concern in the wake of the rampage about a backlash within the military against Muslims in the different service branches.

But the president's comments were a recognition that the growing body of evidence that has come out since last Thursday's

(http://washingtontimes.com/news/2009/nov/11/obama-no-faith-justifies-fort-hood-rampage/)

catdd
11-11-2009, 09:07 AM
"And for what he has done, we know that the killer will be met with justice, in this world and the next."

no comment

zach
11-11-2009, 09:39 AM
That's kinda ballsy.. damn near theatrical!

No just and loving God looks upon them with favor," Mr. Obama said. "And for what he has done, we know that the killer will be met with justice, in this world and the next."

I'm impressed.

Austin
11-11-2009, 09:41 AM
WTF? I agree with Obama?

zach
11-11-2009, 09:44 AM
WTF? I agree with Obama?

It's possible. ;)

paulitics
11-11-2009, 10:20 AM
I agree with Obama 100% here, but would he say the same thing if it were a christian fundamentalist? I know the left wing media would not, and at the very least I would imagine Obama to remain silent, and not defend Christians, conservatives, etc.

I wish the day of stereotyping large groups of people based on a few nutballs with the same views are over, but then why are we all on homeland securities watchlist?

moostraks
11-11-2009, 10:22 AM
WTF? I agree with Obama?

me too....:o

CharlesTX
11-11-2009, 10:31 AM
me too....:o

A broken clock's correct twice a day.

pcosmar
11-11-2009, 10:48 AM
Screw Obama, and screw propaganda.

Dailymotion - Airstrike On Insurgents - Live Video - a News & Politics video (http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x404ua_airstrike-on-insurgents-live-video_politics)

noun
1. a person who rises in forcible opposition to lawful authority, esp. a person who engages in armed resistance to a government or to the execution of its laws; rebel.

How are people defending their homeland against invasion considered Insurgents?

Austin
11-11-2009, 10:54 AM
Screw Obama, and screw propaganda.

[Video removed]

How are people defending their homeland against invasion considered Insurgents?

I just don't want the entire religion of Islam to be demonized just because of a small percentage of its practitioners distort and bastardize the religion.

AuH20
11-11-2009, 10:58 AM
I just don't want the entire religion of Islam to be demonized just because of a small percentage of its practitioners distort and bastardize the religion.

I heard something similar yesterday on the radio. Not all muslims are terrorists, but all terrorists, in the traditional sense (usually with C4 strapped to their chests) are muslim. Funny how true that statement is. That's not say that there are not other supposed civilized entities in the world (in the U.S. government as well) who are practicing terrorist acts but they do it much less pronounced ways.

pcosmar
11-11-2009, 11:06 AM
I heard something similar yesterday on the radio. Not all muslims are terrorists, but all terrorists, in the traditional sense (usually with C4 strapped to their chests) are muslim. Funny how true that statement is. That's not say that there are not other supposed civilized entities in the world (in the U.S. government as well) who are practicing terrorist acts but they do it much less pronounced ways.

I have heard that too,,many times and in several places.
It is not true. Not by a long shot.
Ireland
USA
Israel
Japan
Cuba
etc.

And so on. There are people in other places and other religions that use violence to affect political change. That is the definition of terrorism.

AuH20
11-11-2009, 11:14 AM
Ireland
USA
Israel
Japan
Cuba
etc.

And so on. There are people in other places and other religions that use violence to affect political change. That is the definition of terrorism.

But none of those groups can boast such a startling resume on a worldwide level, filled with acts that were regularly carried out in such a demonstrative & visceral fashion. From Indonesia to Mumbai, India to Spain to the U.S, there are legitimate examples of Muslim violence. Sure, the U.S. probably instigated a massive retaliation and probably has sleeper organizations pushing the jihadist movement, but muslim backed terrorism is a constant factor throughout the globe. Perhaps, that's exactly what the TPTB want? Sticking a stick in the hornet's nest that is Islam to provoke a response that they will exploit.

Dark_Horse_Rider
11-11-2009, 11:14 AM
Ireland
USA
Israel
Japan
Cuba
etc.

Thanks for keeping some kind of perspective here, pcosmar !

Dark_Horse_Rider
11-11-2009, 11:19 AM
But none of those groups can boast such a startling resume on a worldwide level, that was regularly carried out in such a demonstrative & visceral fashion. From Indonesia to Mumbai, India to Spain to the U.S, there are legitimate threats of Muslim violence. Sure, the U.S. probably instigated a massive retaliation and probably has sleeper organizations pushing the jihadist movement, but muslim backed terrorism is a constant factor throughout the globe. Perhaps, that's exactly what the TPTB want? Sticking a stick in the hornet's nest that is Islam to provoke a response that they will exploit.

It seems it depends on who is looking at it and from where.

One man's freedom fighter is another man's terrorist.

dannno
11-11-2009, 11:20 AM
"No just and loving God looks upon them with favor,"

So Obama is Bahai?

AuH20
11-11-2009, 11:21 AM
It seems it depends on who is looking at it and from where.

One man's freedom fighter is another man's terroist.

And the 'so-called freedom fighter' who blows himself along with his innocent Arab neighbors at the local marketplace, forfeits that title. There is a way to conduct a resistance movement and killing innocents is not acceptable.

Dark_Horse_Rider
11-11-2009, 11:22 AM
And the freedom fighter who blows himself along with his innocent neighbors at the local marketplace, forfeits that title.

Just like the liberators that blow all kinds of civilians to hell is not really a liberator.

AuH20
11-11-2009, 11:23 AM
Just like the liberators that blow all kinds of civilians to hell is not really a liberator.

Exactly. ;) The predator drone attack on the funeral in Iraq was disgusting. women and children I believe.

axiomata
11-11-2009, 11:28 AM

And that's why you should not believe all that you hear on talk radio.

The truth is, that one of the most prevalent users of suicide terrorism tactics in modern times was the Sri Lankan secular Liberation Tigers. According to wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberation_Tigers_of_Tamil_Eelam#Suicide_bombings) they carried out 160 suicide attacks between 1980 and 2000.

pcosmar
11-11-2009, 11:29 AM
Exactly. ;) The predator drone attack on the funeral in Iraq was disgusting. women and children I believe.

Terrorism, or Collateral Damage.
It all depends on the spin.

nobody's_hero
11-11-2009, 11:30 AM
Indeed, we're screwed too if this God adheres to Obama's eloquent remark.

jmdrake
11-11-2009, 02:35 PM

What mosque did Tim McVeigh attend again? :rolleyes:

http://i.cdn.turner.com/trutv/thesmokinggun.com/graphics/packageart/mugshots/mcveighmug.jpg

And when did James Von Braun become a muslim name?

http://www.tdbimg.com/files/2009/07/29/img-cs---holocaust-museum-shooter-james-von-brunn_205910246033.jpg

What about all of those Catholics that were blowing up stuff a few decades ago in Northern Ireland? Were they secretly muslim also?

http://www.doglegs.net/cclovett/_borders/IRA_and_PLO_Mural.jpg

BlackTerrel
11-11-2009, 02:36 PM
I agree with Obama. You don't judge a group or religion based on the actions of the few.

The only issue I have with the way this was handled (not just by Obama but by a number of people) is that they're assuming Americans think differently. It's almost like they're saying "whoa calm down, nobody go crazy here and start killing innocent Muslims and burning businesses down". When the reality is Americans aren't like that at all. Bias crimes against Muslims are very low.

This is from 2007 (the latest data I could find) from the FBI website. Hate crimes against various groups:

http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/hc2007/table_01.htm

Anti black 2,658

Anti homosexual 1,281

Anti Jewish 969

Anti white 749

Anti Hispanic 595

Anti Asian 188

Anti Christian 118

Anti Muslim 115

Now you can argue with these stats. But it certainly doesn't seem that Americans are taking out their aggressions on Muslims.